Best CFB Coaches?

Post by fightingtigers45 »

In your opinion, who is the top five?

1. Saban
1a. Carroll
3. Tressell
4. Stoops
5. Meyer

If Texas beats OSU by 3-4 TD's, and Meyer defeats Stoops, then Meyer moves up to #3 IMO.

Just_A_Fan
Varsity

Re: Best CFB Coaches?

Post by Just_A_Fan »

i think Pete Carroll is #1 be himself

1. P. Carroll
2. N.Saban
3. U. Meyer
4. Joe Pa
5. J. Tresell
6. Bobby B.
7. Stoops

Now if Stoops win the national title against UF you can put him alittle higher, reason he's just out side the top five in my book is cause in the last few years he's 0-5 (i think) in the big games. If Jim T. loses big agasint Texas I think he would start to fall on my list, but a win is what he and Buckeye nation need so everyone can forget that past two years. I have Joe Pa at 4 just cause all the games he's won, but failed to lock it up this year with the lost to Iowa, could move up IF the beat USC.
Bobby B is #6 on my list cause of what he's done in the past but it seems like here recently he's kinda starting to slip, example no longer getting the same types of players as he was wants getting. Now heres why I have P. Carroll at #1 just look at what he's done at USC every year hes in some type of talk to win a national title, if not that he's winning the rose bowl game.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

he said 5 dingbat. :-D no , you can't throw richrod in there either.

a hot commodity is ex nebraska player turner gill. who not only kept 12-1 ball state from winning the mac. he turned buffalo , which was arguably the worst program in the country into the mac champs. i know that syracuse and auburn , are beating his doors down. he may be one to look for if he stays in it long enough. syracuse would seem like a natural. since he's all ready coaching in new york. but i'd head for auburn , and be a tiger. EVERYBODY WANTS TO BE A TIGER.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

[quote="fightingtigers45"]In your opinion, who is the top five?

1. Saban
1a. Carroll
3. Tressell
4. Stoops
5. Meyer

If Texas beats OSU by 3-4 TD's, and Meyer defeats Stoops, then Meyer moves up to #3 IMO.[/quote[size=200]]------------------------- NO JOEPA, YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING, TELL ME THIS IS A JOKE. [/size]

fightingtigers45
S

Nope. No JoePa. Those are the current head coaches that I think are the best.

Over the course of a career, JoePa and Bobby Bowden would definitely make the list. As well as Spurrier.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

1. Pete Carrol
2. Bob Stoops
3. Mack Brown
4. Jim Tressel
5. Les Miles

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

No love for Butch Davis. In his second year back in the college ranks he has already turned North Carolina around. I look for him to have them in the top 5 next year.

fightingtigers45
S

I wouldnt go that far Ozzie. He is up there, but not near the top five for me.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

joepa is current , dangit

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

1. Tressel (since 2001) 73-16 (82%) 1-2 in BCS championship games 5 BCS games
2. Carroll (since 2001) 76-14 (84.4%) 1-1 in BCS championship games 6 consecutive BCS appearances
3. Stoops (since 99) 109-23 (.826%) 1-2 in BCS championship games 6 BCS games
4. Saban (Since 2000) 67-23 (74%) 1 NC (1BCS ytbp) 3 BCS games
5. Meyer (since 2001) 82-17 (83%) 1-0 BCS championship games (1 ytbp) 3 BCS games

The first two are interchangable I think.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

I don't think you can put Tressel ahead of Carrol. Carrol has more wins, more National Titles, better winning %, and USC has finished in the top 5 for 7 consecutive years---going for year number 8.

The_Legend_of_Northwest
All State

Post by The_Legend_of_Northwest »

1. Mack Brown 6 straight ten win seasons
2. Pete Carrol may not always have his team ready for every game (Ex. Oregon State 08 Stanford 07 UCLA 06) but there is no doubt theyre ready for the big ones.
3. Urban Meyer Have you seen how good Florida is.
4. Joe Pa the most amazing person to still be doing what he is doing
5. Nick Saban has turned Bama around faster than crazy bama fan thought he could.
6. The Coach at Buffalo I cant remember his name but he done an unbelievable job.Turing BUFFALO into the MAC champs

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

I think Tressel would have to be on everyone's list.

whompascat
All Conference

Post by whompascat »

tress can't win the big game
more talent and lose= tressel

Blacksunshine
Riding the Bench

Post by Blacksunshine »

1. Saban- turned Bama around faster than even he expected.

2. Carroll- USC consistantly in the top five in the BCS every year.

3A. Brown
3A. Stoops- both these guys have rejuvinated mediocre programs from day one and made the Big 12 feared again.

4. Peterson- Put Boise State and that crazy offense in a position to beat anybody anyplace at anytime. And he is not in a BCS conference, ask Stoops if he would schedule to play at Boise.

5. Meyer- Successful at 3 different stops, MAC,WAC and SEC. Quite possibly headed to the NFL in the next 2 years.

Honorable Mention:

Tressel- Yes, he can beat Michigan but so can Toledo, 1-2 in the Title Game.

Pat Hill- Fearless attitude, not scared to play anyone or any place at Fresno State.

Leach- Texas Tech, now Bob Knight is not the only coach you can name in a trivia game from this school.

Paterno
Bowden- Age+Wins+Titles= RESPECT of your elders.

Davis- Now the students go to football games in the fall instead hanging out in the gym watching Hansbrough play pick-up games with intermural teams.

Lou Holtz-Yes, Notre Dame is 12-0, according to his predictions on TV, hey someone tell him this ain't 1988 and we are in the 21st century.

BLITZBURG
Riding the Bench

Post by BLITZBURG »

If Stoops loses to Florida will he become the coach unable to win the big one? 1-2 in title games and last two BCS games lost to Boise and got dominated by WVU.Not taking anything away from Stoops,excellent coach but could obtain that label.
1.Carroll
2.Saban
3.Meyer
4.Tressel
5.Stoops

fightingtigers45
S

The_Legend_of_Northwest wrote:1. Mack Brown 6 straight ten win seasons
2. Pete Carrol may not always have his team ready for every game (Ex. Oregon State 08 Stanford 07 UCLA 06) but there is no doubt theyre ready for the big ones.
3. Urban Meyer Have you seen how good Florida is.
4. Joe Pa the most amazing person to still be doing what he is doing
5. Nick Saban has turned Bama around faster than crazy bama fan thought he could.
6. The Coach at Buffalo I cant remember his name but he done an unbelievable job.Turing BUFFALO into the MAC champs

Turner Gill over Jim Tressel? Turner Gill. I want to repeat myself. Turner Gill.

He may be a good one in the long run, but right now, at this moment, give me Tressel.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

fightingtigers45 wrote:In your opinion, who is the top five?

1. Saban
1a. Carroll
3. Tressell
4. Stoops
5. Meyer

If Texas beats OSU by 3-4 TD's, and Meyer defeats Stoops, then Meyer moves up to #3 IMO.

Three of your five were Ohio born and raised (Tressel, Stoops, and Meyer). Also, Meyer, Tressel, Carroll, and Saban all spent time on the Ohio State staff.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Those are true statements, but most of their times were either spent as GA's or one year and gone (aside from Tressel).

Bleacher Creature
Waterboy

Post by Bleacher Creature »

hammerdown wrote:
You're Tiger Bait wrote:joepa is current , dangit

yeah but he is older than dirt. :lol: and he really is just a figure head coach.

Joe Pa might be old, but he is still very much involved and isn't just a "figure".

take a look at this video from a penn state practice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp0H62QrWSs

Return to “College Sports”