WEEK 11- BUCKEYES VS. BADGERS

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Re: WEEK 11- BUCKEYES VS. BADGERS

Post by noreply66 »

frank-n-beans wrote:DC has Got to go! Absolutely pitiful display of D all year. I don't care if he played for them, Fickell can't coach.
Agree--bring in a top D coach next year and OSU are champs

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

So did anyone ever find out if they let Kerry Coombs ride the plane back from Madison or is his thumb getting frost bit right about now??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

noreply66 wrote:
frank-n-beans wrote:DC has Got to go! Absolutely pitiful display of D all year. I don't care if he played for them, Fickell can't coach.
What....you dont think that Fick, Withers, Vrabel and Coombs are the answer to a top notch defense????

I say leave Vrabel and Fickell on staff. Bring in a top DC and they are set. Dont have the co-crap. ONE DC and the rest are position coaches that answer to the DC. That should fix it ;-)

Maybe Mike Dantonio's schedule is going to open up in a couple of weeks. :122245 :122249 :122246

VegasEagle
Varsity

Post by VegasEagle »

Bleeding Red wrote:
noreply66 wrote:
What....you dont think that Fick, Withers, Vrabel and Coombs are the answer to a top notch defense????

I say leave Vrabel and Fickell on staff. Bring in a top DC and they are set. Dont have the co-crap. ONE DC and the rest are position coaches that answer to the DC. That should fix it ;-)

Maybe Mike Dantonio's schedule is going to open up in a couple of weeks. :122245 :122249 :122246
Lol I say Keep Vrabel and send the rest packing although I like Coombs Fire his 10 yard cushions are enough to make me puke on a weekly basis...... Plus did i mention Travis Howard is complete garbage

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

10 yards? Where they playing that tight on the receivers this year?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Howard might be one of the most overrated DB coming into this season that I have seen in a while. Roby and Bryant are all we have back there that can make a play. Orian Johnson is a good special teams player at best.

I heard CJ Barnett is still at Camp Randall trying to find his receiver. ;-) :lol: :lol:

GoBuckeyes2786
Varsity

Post by GoBuckeyes2786 »

The secondary has been pretty sorry this year except for Bradley Roby. Bryant has made some nice plays but has had some boneheaded plays and penalties to equal.

It's a shame Roby isn't one of the finalist for the Thorpe award, nations best defensive back. Roby has made alot of big plays and leads the nation is pass break ups. But apparently voters disagree

Braxton is one of the finalist for the davey obrian award along with Collin Klein and Johnny Manziel

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

The secondary is week in part because the pass rush has been non-existent, and the linebackers are not good as a group.

Shazier has better numbers than The Chosen One at ND though!

GoBuckeyes2786
Varsity

Post by GoBuckeyes2786 »

Shazier has had a great season and has been over looked. Several games he recorded double digit tackles, has 14.5 tackles for loss, 1 int, 1 TD, and I believe what 109 or 110 total tackles. His numbers are better than Teo except for the INT category.

Not saying he is necessarily better than Teo, but the kid is good. Deserves recognition and only a sophomore.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Factor in forced fumbles and he has I believe 2 less turnovers caused, but he has several more sacks.

GoBuckeyes2786
Varsity

Post by GoBuckeyes2786 »

Like I said he's been a beast. Lil wild early season but has really turned it around and gotten better each week. He should be a stud next season

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

seofan_via_dublin wrote:The secondary is week in part because the pass rush has been non-existent, and the linebackers are not good as a group.

Shazier has better numbers than The Chosen One at ND though!
The secondary has been weak because the d backs get lost in coverage and lose their man. They get beat to death when they try to play man to man coverage (Pass interference highlight reel) and when they go to zone they have no idea who they have coverage on when the receivers run crossing routes downfield.

If anything the lack of a pass rush should help the secondary because they are dropping the linebackers back into coverage to help with short centerfield, tight end releases and passes in the flats.

Although I agree that we couldnt get to the opposing QB consistently if he had a million dollars tied to his neck, but dropping more people back into coverage should only solidify the amount of space the D backs are trying to defend.

I will stand by my statement I made earlier in the year that Nathan Williams has lost a step since his injury and Noah Spence is by far a better presence at DE than Williams when it comes to a pass rush. If Williams would have more quickness and be a step faster on his overall speed he would have been able to fill in nicely at LB and put Spence at DE all the time. If they are going to burn Spence's redshirt he should play. Boren has been a great addition to the linebacking squad. I noticed that Storm Klein hasnt seen the field much (if any) since Shazier's return, as it should be. He is way too slow to play LB in the B10.

Going back to the D backs, they are all jrs and seniors with the exception of Roby, who is the best of the group. No reason for any D back on this level of play to be 5 yards or more from the receiver 15 yards down field. The coverage is loose when they are in position, it is terrible when the get lost in the shuffle. I just have to think that they are either the dumbest group of D backs ever at OSU or Coombs couldnt teach a hobo how to eat a ham sandwich.

GoBuckeyes2786
Varsity

Post by GoBuckeyes2786 »

And at this point it can't really be put on the pass rush because it has gotten alot better as the season has went on. Simon and Williams both have stepped up put on alot of pressure. Like you said BR, I'd like to see spence on the field more.

And for all the D backs to be juniors and seniors they all have alot of experience and playing time as well. They should be better. Roby is the only one who is considered good and a solid D back. But he will prob bounce to the nfl and we will be left with Barnett and Bryant as our leaders for next season lol

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

GoBuckeyes2786 wrote:And at this point it can't really be put on the pass rush because it has gotten alot better as the season has went on. Simon and Williams both have stepped up put on alot of pressure. Like you said BR, I'd like to see spence on the field more.

And for all the D backs to be juniors and seniors they all have alot of experience and playing time as well. They should be better. Roby is the only one who is considered good and a solid D back. But he will prob bounce to the nfl and we will be left with Barnett and Bryant as our leaders for next season lol

Hopefully D backs are going to be a point of emphasis on the recruiting trail this year! If they could get 2 really good top notch prospects that can graduate a little early and get started this spring, they will be able to shore up that d backfield in a hurry.

Maybe someone that is closely following the recruiting classes can provide some info on this.

GoBuckeyes2786
Varsity

Post by GoBuckeyes2786 »

Yep we in business on that. Have 2 of the top 10 CB in the nation in next years class. Both 4 star recruits. Cam Burrows from trotwood Madison and Eli Woodard a kid from NJ. I think Woodard is the top prospect in the state of NJ if I'm not mistaken.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

GoBuckeyes2786 wrote:Yep we in business on that. Have 2 of the top 10 CB in the nation in next years class. Both 4 star recruits. Cam Burrows from trotwood Madison and Eli Woodard a kid from NJ. I think Woodard is the top prospect in the state of NJ if I'm not mistaken.
Great news! Hopefully they are able to graduate early and get enrolled at OSU in time for spring workouts and practice. In the day and age of playing the best kids regardless of their age, including freshman, they should be able to jump right in. I would rather see OSU struggle at D back early on with young kids that will get better every game than sticking it out with older kids who have proven they are not good enough to be successful at their position at OSU.

GoBuckeyes2786
Varsity

Post by GoBuckeyes2786 »

I agree 100%. Play the best kid regardless of freshman or senior.

Plus there was some freshmen this year like Reeves and Bogard who spent most of their time on the special teams unit and were great athletes. Those guys will prob get some more PT next season and add some depth. Plus Doran grant who was back up this year and filled in for Roby and Howard at times.

I look for alot of the defensive bugs to get worked out from December to next September. If not urban will have some new defensive coaches lol

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

I look for Luke to get an offer from a Mid-Major school, and be "encouraged" to take it.
He'll likely take his best friend Vrable with him.

These two are loved by recruits, and Vrable is one of our top recruiters.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

seofan_via_dublin wrote:I look for Luke to get an offer from a Mid-Major school, and be "encouraged" to take it.
He'll likely take his best friend Vrable with him.

These two are loved by recruits, and Vrable is one of our top recruiters.

I like Vrabel. He has intensity and passion on the sidelines and seems to get through to his players. Even though he and Fick are good friends, I am not sure Vrabel would leave OSU and it seems that he has a good bond so far with Meyer.

What do you think happens with the remainder of the defensive staff? Withers? Coombs? At some point the blame for such a mediocre defense falls upon all of their shoulders.

There are plenty of good defensive guys out there, this is The Ohio State University and I just dont see Meyer settling on this type of poor defense for another year. Meyer hasnt coached with most of these guys before so he gave them a chance based on their previous success and in Fickell's case, commitment to the program from what he endured last year. I just dont see any of them getting his stamp of approval and Meyer is one of the best at understanding that defense still wins championships!

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

IMO, Coombs is safe. He's a fireball, and a great addition when it comes to recruiting, especially where the SW of Ohio is concerned, which has always been a hotbed for traitors to ND and UM.

I can say for a fact, that Urban has told Fickle and Vrable that they are coaching for their jobs on Saturday.

He has asked for more pressure, and more player rotation, and neither coach will commit to it. Vrable was asked why he wasn't rotating in fresh guys and getting more pressure, and his answer amounted to "I don't know".

Fickle as a position coach is in Meyer's good graces. What he has done with a skeleton LB corp and the development of Shazier, is great!
As a defensive play caller though, he's got too much Tressel in him still, and the bend but don't break crap is not what Urban is looking for.

GoBuckeyes2786
Varsity

Post by GoBuckeyes2786 »

Fickell and Vrabel both are guys I'd love to keep on the stay as position coaches working with the D line and LBs. like you said they have done well at that part but the play calling hasn't been great. Meyer wants the dominate ya at all phases of the game D like the past buckeyes and his teams at Florida. The defensive has gotten much better since the first half of year and after Indiana but it is still no where near where it needs to be and should be. Giving up 400yds of offense isn't gonna fly under Meyer and giving up nearly 200 yards rushing to a single back won't go over well. Don't get me wrong, montee ball is a stud but still should t be running like that on a buckeye defense. The buckeyes shut him down last year and owned leveon bell earlier this season like they should.

The defense this year has bended too far and has broken too many times.

If the defense played up to standard this season I don't think any game would have really been in doubt. Kinda crazy the defense play as poorly as they did at times and still be 11-0

Return to “College Sports”