OSU finishes report on Bobby D issue, more bad news.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

OSU finishes report on Bobby D issue, more bad news.

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

OSU finished their summation of the Bobby D issues concerning the charity event and the student work issues.

They have self-imposed a 5 scholarship reduction over the next 3 years, and have been informed by the NCAA that they are facing Failure to Monitor charges concerning their relationship with Bobby D.

blue53
All State

Re: OSU finishes report on Bobby D issue, more bad news.

Post by blue53 »

how many are given out each year?

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

25 per year.

OSU normally leaves 1 or 2 open to reward current high performing walk-ons, so don't expect us to lose out on any recruits because of it, directly.

starbase_318
Varsity

Post by starbase_318 »

Witch hunt!! I wouldn't have an issue with standards being applied across the board. I take exception when schools have thugs and drugs running rampant and all they get is a self imposed one game suspension.

blue53
All State

Post by blue53 »

Hopefully all of this stuff gets ended soon, and get the house back in order.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Here's an article from buckeyesports.com

Ohio State’s NCAA fate appears to be moving closer to a solution as the university released new punishments related to the violations involving money for work not performed by five student-athletes that broke about a month ago.
The university’s response to the NCAA, released today, includes the addition of a new sanction, the loss of five scholarships over a three-year period. In addition, the NCAA has hit the school with a “failure to monitor” charge, which OSU agrees with, in relation to the activities of disassociated booster Bobby DiGeronimo.

The school now believes the continuing investigation into the football program has concluded and will now await the governing body’s final decision on punishments.

“Over the past three months, our athletics department staff has continued to work cooperatively with the NCAA to conclude our inquiry into the remaining items related to our football program,” athletic director Gene Smith said. “Throughout the entire process since we discovered possible infractions, the athletics department has consistently worked with the NCAA to investigate any allegation, take responsibility, self-report its findings to the NCAA in a transparent manner, and take necessary remediation steps. That is what we have done on this last open issue, and we accept that we should have done more to oversee Mr. DiGeronimo’s activities.

“We look forward to working with the staff and the Committee on Infractions to reach a timely resolution of the case. On a personal note, I deeply regret that I did not ensure the degree of monitoring our institution deserves and demands.”

While the NCAA said it would like to discuss the charges during a previously scheduled meeting Dec. 10 in Florida, OSU included in its response that it requests the NCAA Committee on Infractions review the case via conference call the week of Nov. 28 and submit its answer shortly thereafter.

The university believes it does not need an in-person hearing – like the Aug. 12 meeting with the NCAA that weighed the fallout of the tattoos and cash for memorabilia scandal that led to the downfall of Jim Tressel – since it agrees on most of the charges.

On Nov. 3, the NCAA presented Ohio State with a supplemental notice of allegations related to the case in which the school admits DiGeronimo paid DeVier Posey, Dan Herron, Melvin Fellows, Etienne Sabino and Marcus Hall a combined $1,605 for work not completed through his business interests in Cleveland.

In addition, DiGeronimo – who the university admits was a major booster of the program during the John Cooper years before his influence began to wane under Tressel – arranged for payments of $200 to Jordan Hall, Travis Howard, Corey Brown and one redacted student-athlete as payment for taking part in an annual charity event in Cleveland for his Cornerstone of Hope nonprofit organization.

The school was charged with failure to monitor given its longtime interactions with DiGeronimo, including the knowledge that previous players had been employed by him or attended his charity events. As a result, Ohio State "failed to take appropriate actions to determine if DiGeronimo continued to employ student-athletes or host them at the charity event despite concerns about his interaction with the football program, his previous involvement in a secondary violation related to football student-athletes' attendance at the charity event (2006) and his attempt to form close personal relationships with football student-athletes."

That charge is more serious than the previous ones levied against the university and its football program.

The violations involving DiGeronimo were first discovered after an NCAA interview with a redacted student-athlete – likely Terrelle Pryor, based on context – led to the body asking for his bank records and the bank records of other student-athletes.

As part of its self-imposed punishment for the violations, Ohio State will reduce the number of initial scholarships awarded in the sport of football by a total of five over the 2012-13, 2013-14, and 2014-15 academic years.

In addition, DiGeronimo – who once donated more than $70,000 to the school – was disassociated from the university in September for a period of 10 years, while Pryor has also been disassociated for a period of five years. In addition, student-athletes have been prohibited from attending the Cornerstone of Hope event.

Those punishments are added to the forced resignation of Tressel in May and the suspension of the five players involved in the original tattoos-and-memorabilia case, as well as OSU’s decision to vacate the 2010 season and its self-imposed probation assessed during the summer.

Whether that will be enough to sate the NCAA remains to be seen, but the process finally appears to be winding down.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

Gene Smith- "On a personal note, I deeply regret that I did not ensure the degree of monitoring our institution deserves and demands.”

And now would be the perfect time for him to step down! And take Bow Tie with you. That would convince the NCAA that all involved in the "failure to monitor" take it seriously and are paying the price.

VegasEagle
Varsity

Post by VegasEagle »

seofan_via_dublin wrote:OSU finished their summation of the Bobby D issues concerning the charity event and the student work issues.

They have self-imposed a 5 scholarship reduction over the next 3 years, and have been informed by the NCAA that they are facing Failure to Monitor charges concerning their relationship with Bobby D.
Dubs is this going to be as bad as the USC crap or worse????

bigtimehitter
All Conference

Post by bigtimehitter »

No matter who says what, in light of the Pedophile State saga, this is microscopic and puts things into perspective for you as a college football fan.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

VegasEagle wrote:
seofan_via_dublin wrote:OSU finished their summation of the Bobby D issues concerning the charity event and the student work issues.

No.

USC also had Lack of Institutional Control. The NCAA left that out, and by nearly all accounts all dirt has been accounted for.

VegasEagle
Varsity

Post by VegasEagle »

seofan_via_dublin wrote:
VegasEagle wrote:

No.

USC also had Lack of Institutional Control. The NCAA left that out, and by nearly all accounts all dirt has been accounted for.
Ok thats good so when do you think Gene Smith will step down sorry to play 20 questions but im outta the loop being out here

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Gee said in an interview that Smith's job is safe.

I read that as the kiss of death!

Gee's office is running the athletic department now, which is why you've seen an increase and streamlining of the monitoring and reporting process. Gene Smith is a university vice president in charge of athletics, which means he reports directly to Gee.

I expect Smith to leave, but it will be held off until after the NCAA makes an announcement on the sanctions.

If they are going to bowl ban the Bucks this season, it would make us ineligible for the B10 title game. So, if that's going to happen, expect it the week of the Michigan game, likely on Thursday evening that week.

If they don't make an announcement by then, then they will either not give us the bowl ban, or it will be delayed until next year. Which a bowl ban next year, I think would hurt this team more.

VegasEagle
Varsity

Post by VegasEagle »

seofan_via_dublin wrote:Gee said in an interview that Smith's job is safe.

I read that as the kiss of death!

Gee's office is running the athletic department now, which is why you've seen an increase and streamlining of the monitoring and reporting process. Gene Smith is a university vice president in charge of athletics, which means he reports directly to Gee.

I expect Smith to leave, but it will be held off until after the NCAA makes an announcement on the sanctions.

If they are going to bowl ban the Bucks this season, it would make us ineligible for the B10 title game. So, if that's going to happen, expect it the week of the Michigan game, likely on Thursday evening that week.

If they don't make an announcement by then, then they will either not give us the bowl ban, or it will be delayed until next year. Which a bowl ban next year, I think would hurt this team more.
I agree why win the Big ten and go to the Rose Bowl and get killed I say take the ban this year and move on...

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

What are the odds for no bowl ban?

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

I don't know still sorting that out, but right now I'd say about 65% we get a one year ban, question is when.

Return to “College Sports”