UM news, Who would have thought?...

Peake
SEOP

Re: UM news, Who would have thought?...

Post by Peake »

Je'Ron Stokes father via michigan.scout.com

appreciate the support we are "ALL IN", my wife and I spoke with our son almost everyday this summer.All of his condidtioning activities were within compliance. The 7 on 7 's were voluntary extra work that he wanted to do , with some of the other players.....all VOLUNTARY... I am extremely upset about this. Je'Ron is a good young man, hard working in every sense. We as parents want him to enjoy playing football, but also enjoy his college experience and working to get his degree from this great school. I just think it is a shame to be dragged into this nonsense!! We are in the process of reaching out to the media outlets involved to clear my son from this mess that has gotten out of control

I think it is a DISGRACE for any person with the "power of the pen", to mis-use that priviledge for ill intent. For the reporter that interviewed my son, "twisted his quotes in such a way to bring suspicion on our Michigan program, is pathetic!!! Coach Rich Rod, and his staff run a very respectable program, and they do a wonderful job of making sure that their staff as well as their players understand the NCAA rules, as well as the team rules. My son by know means has any complaints, with the Coaches, the workouts etc... HE LOVE MICHIGAN, HE LOVES BLUE NATION, and he is excited and ready to go into this season with his teamates who are just as excited to be part of a special season in yet another page of Michigans history to regain National prominence.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

1. I believe that UM violated the hours rule.
2. I do not think the violation is major. Though, I would think Barwis would only need half the time as everyone else.
3. I would only worry about the number of transfers, graduated players, and unnamed current players who were willing to sell-out the coaching staff. Yep. They may be bitter. However, every team has guys sitting the bench, getting yelled at, and transferring. If a journalist went prodding to transfers specifically looking for dirt, then it is less worrisome. As at least they wouldn't have volunteered the information unrequested.
4. I realize that UM fans rip Boren and the other transfers. I realize that they could be lazy or bitter. However, OSU just had Willie Mobley transfer, and it was smooth and friendly from all sides. I believe that RR has a close-knit group among those that will contribute. However, from talking to a former WVU player, I would worry about how RR treats guys who are "of no use." This is still college athletics.
5. I respect UM. I am up in the air about RR. If he is bad news (as he seems like a square peg trying to fit into a circle) then I hope UM moves on and fixes it.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

1. I agree. I also think it happens at every major college in the nation. I have seen it first hand.
2. Agree.
3. Sell-out? The current players who spoke up were Je'Ron Stokes and Brandon Hawthorne. Neither knew they were answering questions that were being asked by an individual that had an agenda to ''sell-out" the program. Basically what current players said was we have trained for 7 days a week. Rosensuck has no clue what was mandatory and what was voluntary. Nothing that was said by the freshmen sold out anyone. They were taken out of context.
4. Agree to an extent. These kids are coming into a program that is not going through a huge transition (OSU transfers) . The atmosphere at Michigan is totally different then when the former players were recruited and brought in under Carr. Many of the same players feel they should be pampered like they were under Carr. It took me a long time to realize that Michigan was starting to fall into mediocrity because they were not developing players, rather relying on the talent they already possess. I am also not disagreeing with what you that he may force kids out in order to bring in kids who are fully committed. I am friends with former Spring Valley player and WVU walk-on Aaron Meckstroth and I never heard stories like the ones coming out. I have heard he is a beast in practice, but that he loved his players.
5. I feel like you are correct, but that the blue hairs that still surround the Michigan program can not except change. There is an internal political war that goes on at UM between those who are ready to come of age, and those who think the forward pass is still a trick play.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

From Carson Butler...a guy most fans could not stand.

Detroit Lions rookie Carson Butler, who played at Michigan, said he didn't think players had to do a lot more work for Rodriguez last year when compared with previous seasons under Lloyd Carr.

"It was just a different structure," Butler said.

Butler said it didn't seem as if the players were forced to spend excessive time training and practicing.

"I don't know all of the exact rules, but I don't remember anything that seemed like it was too much," Butler said. "If the weight room was open, you went. If there was a run, you went. It's just what you do to be a better football player."

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

I'm sure there were violations but I'm also sure that many other colleges tweak the rules...it will be investigated and if credible evidence is found then it is what it is...even then the penalties may not be severe depending on what is found. What stands out more to me than even the charges is the ability for any reporters to come up with double digit numbers in players (whether former or current) to speak out about the issue and against RichRod. Interesting to say the least and speaks a lot to the state of the program. Even more interesting/enjoyable is the fact that RichRod cried on national TV and that peake is so worked up about it that he's spent most of the day copying and pasting articles and defending his man crush on RichRod. That is priceless.... :12222 :-D :lol: 8) ;-)

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

Is the Fairmont State job open?

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

I took a chapter from your book :122249

Maybe next time he will have to defend his Heisman winning quarterback instead. Why? Because he made more money in college then he makes in the pros. I am sure he could get some advice from the coach down south about that one.:lol:

You can call it copy and pasting, I simply call it good research to support my opinion.

What stands out more to me than even the charges is the ability for any reporters to come up with double digit numbers in players (whether former or current) to speak out about the issue and against RichRod. Interesting to say the least and speaks a lot to the state of the program.

I don't know what story you read, but I was under the impression that it was five former players interviewed, all of which so surprisingly supported this reporters agenda. He must have forgot to get a hold of the other players who have voluntarily come out in support of Rich Rod. The two current players that were interviewed that were on the team had no clue they were talking to a reporter with and agenda.

The funniest thing was at the presser today with Rosensuck was asked to back up his claim in person and he all but ran out of the room. Funny how he made it onto Columbus Sports Station for interviews today. That doesn't stink of agenda at all.

yes 85 I am sure there is. I am sure you can take your impressive resume and apply. Your 1-aa experience should put you a head of competition. Let them know you are an all-star poster on SEOP, that will help.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

From Dave Berk, who is a national recruiting analyst at socut.com. His brother played for Rich.

On this one I agree with Rich... While I may have some issues with some things Rich has done in the past, I will say I've never known him to tell a student-athlete to miss a class. My brother earned his degree in 3.5 years at WVU and one reason he was able to do so was he took 18 credit hours during one spring. Rich has always prided about his programs and their academic success and the numbers speak for themselves.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

peake wrote:From Dave Berk, who is a national recruiting analyst at socut.com. His brother played for Rich.

On this one I agree with Rich... While I may have some issues with some things Rich has done in the past, I will say I've never known him to tell a student-athlete to miss a class. My brother earned his degree in 3.5 years at WVU and one reason he was able to do so was he took 18 credit hours during one spring. Rich has always prided about his programs and their academic success and the numbers speak for themselves.

If I'm not mistaken, Berk is an OSU fan. If not, he sure spends a lot of time on the OSU board.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Not sure, but he spends a good amount of time on the Michigan site as well. I believe he is based out of Ohio, but I am not certain about his allegiances.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Don't think there will not be fall out over this for the Free Press and Rosensuck.

MDen and Amazon have both removed Rosensucks book from their sites.

After many e-mails by the UM faithful to the advertisers, Kroger has dropped it support of the Free Press.

pbuck
All State

Post by pbuck »

It's not like Michigan is the only team in the country to bend the limit on hours rules get real people I bet all 120 teams in the FBS break these rules

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Next problem for Rich Rod

Michigan coach, others sued over Va. condo deal

September 01, 2009 @ 03:29 PM

2009/The Herald-Dispatch

Herald-Dispatch.com

ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) — Michigan football coach Rich Rodriguez says he won’t let a suit against him over a failed Virginia condo project affect preparations for Saturday’s season opener.

The suit was filed in August in U.S. District Court in South Carolina against him and several others.

It says they owe a bank $3.9 million for defaulting on a loan to build condos near Virginia Tech’s Lane Stadium.

Rodriguez said in a conference call Tuesday the case won’t hinder preparations to host Western Michigan.

Rodriguez adviser Mike Wilcox said in a statement that Rodriguez was a victim of a Ponzi scheme affecting “several other coaches and prominent individuals.” He says the transaction was initiated in 2004, when Rodriguez coached at West Virginia.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

I could care less about a condo investment gone wrong.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

http://www.annarbor.com/sports/minnesot ... rodriguez/

Minnesota coach Tim Brewster defends Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez

"I firmly believe in Rich Rodriguez," Brewster said. "I don't believe that Michigan was overextending their players. It's unfortunate that this publicity has come out.

"Rich Rodriguez is a heck of a football coach. He's been doing this a long time and it's just very unfortunate."

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Just saw Herbstreit on ESPN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He called this entire thing a joke.

(opening segment)

Q: What's your take on what's going on there in AA?

A: "I think it's an absolute joke to be honest with you, I think it's a bit of a witch hunt. I think after a 3-9 season you can find some disgruntled alumni, some disgruntled players, disgruntled fans, it's pretty easy to select a group of people to find that could turn their back on RR after a 3-9 year"

"It's easy to pick on a guy after the worst year in school history"

"This is the last thing that he and his players need, the players that are committed, the players that have been showing up and doing the work, I find this really insulting to Rich Rodriguez and everything that he and his training staff stand for"

"It's very well know that if you're a player and you want to start you have to put in more time than the NCAA suggests, it's just the bottom line. Whether it's film study, weight training, whatever it is, you need to get your tail over to the facility and put in the work if you want to start"

"You have to remember where Michigan was as a program before RR took over when it came to the culture of the work and the environment that they had and I think he has raised the ante a bit and I think it's been a little bit of a culture shock for some of those players"

"In talking to them yesterday almost all of them have bought in but if you are going to talk to guys that have either graduated who where kind of the LC regime or players that have transfered obviously they are going to take some shots after a 3-9 year"

"The one way to shut everybody up is to win football games"

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

http://www.realfootball365.com/articles/college/14341

Someone needs to learn the rules, and it’s not Rich Rodriguez

Got something to say?

Someone needs to learn the rules, and it's not Rich Rodriguez

Around the end of August, it'd be nice to be talking Xs and Os, but at Michigan these days it seems nothing is prone to going nicely. Still, in the wake of the much overhyped player allegations regarding practice violations, it might be nice if the actual NCAA rulebook was consulted before some of the reprocussions hit the airwaves.

Sure, the NCAA's rules and regulations is 431 pages of book and thicker than North Dakota, but for what Michigan is being alleged of doing, some of the accusations don't hold water. For instance, in the Detroit Free Press report, anonymous players point out that they were dealing with football on Sundays from "10 am to 10 pm." NCAA rules state that in season, players are allowed 20 hours of what they call "countable" activities and 8 out of season. Though there are more issues at hand, these are the ones at the crux of the Michigan issue.

In the Free Press article, an anonymous Michigan player admitted that the team in-season would be subjected to not only the 12 hour Sundays and that they were forced to attend "voluntary" workouts as well as face punishment if they did not. Too much of this situation reeks of sour grapes as well as major rules oversight.

For instance, Tony Clemons is one recent Michigan player and transfer willing to comment on these allegations. In his interview with ESPN, he mentioned not wanting to be tied to the program anymore but feeling the need to step up for teammates. Clemons admitted that there were times he'd go in at 10 or 11 and not get out sometimes until after 10 at night, depending on whether or not certain players needed medical treatment. This is where the areas get gray. Furthermore, would Clemons be saying this after a 1500 yard season instead of one spent mostly on the sidelines? On top of that, is he not accountable considering he signed the same compliance rules sheet as everyone else, verifying that Michigan was not doing anything wrong while he was there? Pointing the finger from afar seems easier.

Regarding how this relates to the NCAA rule book, these are considered the first four non-countable activities:

a. Training-table or competition-related meals;
b. Physical rehabilitation;
c. Dressing, showering or taping; …
h. Medical examinations or treatments;

Essentially, anything related to rehab is completely absolved from being considered part of the allotted hours granted by the NCAA. How that is interpreted is up to the person investigating, but it would be seem hard to believe that Rich Rodriguez has been part of college football for 20 years now and has been over-taxing his athletes on a yearly basis without knowing the rules. After all, players are required to sign off on the allotted hours not being exceeded. If that seems to be very open ended, the rest of the NCAA's rules on such matters are even worse.

m. Voluntary individual workouts, provided these workouts are not required or supervised by coaching staff members, except that such activities may be monitored for safety purposes or conducted by the institution's strength and conditioning personnel who have department wide duties.

This appears to be another place Michigan's investigation might go. So coaches are not allowed to be around unless it's for saftey purposes? Who determines why a coach chooses to take part in these workouts?

o. The provision of videotapes to a student-athlete by an institution's coach that include a personalized message and athletically related information (e.g., discussion of plays, general workout programs, lectures on strategy related to the sport), provided the viewing of the videotape by the student-athlete is voluntary;

Clemons specifically mentioned "lifting, film, dinner, and practice" regarding the 12 hour Sunday Michigan marathons. It would appear that film is considered voluntary and dinner a complete non-issue. When looking at the rules, more holes start to be poked in the theory that Michigan really has been in the wrong.

Lastly, the NCAA does have rules regarding university compliance officers that Michigan might be much better served to go over with their staffs. Compliance officers essentially are to be seen and not heard, making sure that the program is adhering to the very unspecific NCAA guidelines. Multiple Michigan players remarked that these officers often would be showing up at practice and interacting with them, going so far as keeping attendance to who shows up at voluntary workouts. Regarding voluntary workouts, the NCAA points out that under Rule C that athletes are not to be recorded for attending or not attending. If it comes up that players are correct in saying that officers took attendance, that would constitute a minor violation. Also, it's noted in Rule D that players are not to be admonished or punished for participation or lack thereof in voluntary workouts. Whatever "punishment" was supposed to be incurred for not participating again will be horribly difficult to prove. Across the land, the guys that put the most effort in get the playing time, the ones that don't do not.

Though there's something anxious about seeing "Michigan" and "possible violations" scrolling across the bottom of your televisions, the truth is that Rodriguez appears to have rubbed a few people the wrong way, especially after the stoic, laid back demeanor the program had under Lloyd Carr. Some have come out in defense of Rodriguez, but those are never the stories anyone is interested in. The NCAA rules are subject to endless interpretation at the level most people reserve for bickering about politics or religion. Regardless of what comes from this situation, Michigan's program appears somehow more frayed now than it was last year from the inside out. It also appears that some people are having too much fun reveling in it without fully understanding the facts.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

peake wrote:I could care less about a condo investment gone wrong.

It is still Rich Rod and a part of his personal life that did not go right. It could effect him in preparing for games. Even though you could care less there might be some boosters who add up different mistakes mad by Rich Rod when they do not win as many games as they think they should. Then will want to get rid of him. Hard to believe Rich Rod anyway after he said he would not be leaving WVU.

They may never be able to actually prove if practices went to long but if this practice is going on there and other places it is time to enforce the rules across the board.

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

Some just keep going and going...day and night...they're like the copying and paste Energizer bunny. :lol: Anybody know the current count...on just this thread...? 8)

The Flying Dutchman
Varsity

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

On youtube there is a great spoof on Hitler talking about RRod (warning some bad language).
I thInk if you type Hitler's UofM it should come up.

Return to “College Sports”