Brian Kelly-Cincinnati Head Football Coach

bigtimehitter
All Conference

Re: Brian Kelly-Cincinnati Head Football Coach

Post by bigtimehitter »

Steely Dan wrote:There's a pattern of behavior here with this guy. He did the same thing when he left CMU, left the team to go to UC before CMU's bowl game.

He's a good coach, but shows absolutely no loyalty, pursuing another job when the one he is holding isn't finished. I don't begrudge him a better opportunity, but obviously he felt no obligation to his current employer.

Yea, I know, it is certainly arguable that if he was going to move, he needed to do it now, but you generally don't see coaches dismissed until the end of the season. I guess it is a little disconcerting to me, as he seems to have a mercenary mentality.

Odds are, if he has success early at ND, he'll bolt for greener pastures again.......

Good points, but I have to ask you a question, If he starts to win at Notre Dame, and I mean BCS bowls, where is there in the country are there greener pastures?? If he has the success that everyone is expecting, Notre Dame has what does the talking, and that's money.

He might not go to greener, but something just as green. ND's green ($), can't get to much greener....

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

bigtimehitter wrote:
Steely Dan wrote:There's a pattern of behavior here with this guy. He did the same thing when he left CMU, left the team to go to UC before CMU's bowl game.

He's a good coach, but shows absolutely no loyalty, pursuing another job when the one he is holding isn't finished. I don't begrudge him a better opportunity, but obviously he felt no obligation to his current employer.

Yea, I know, it is certainly arguable that if he was going to move, he needed to do it now, but you generally don't see coaches dismissed until the end of the season. I guess it is a little disconcerting to me, as he seems to have a mercenary mentality.

Odds are, if he has success early at ND, he'll bolt for greener pastures again.......

Good points, but I have to ask you a question, If he starts to win at Notre Dame, and I mean BCS bowls, where is there in the country are there greener pastures?? If he has the success that everyone is expecting, Notre Dame has what does the talking, and that's money.

He might not go to greener, but something just as green. ND's green ($), can't get to much greener....

While the Catholic school can throw tons of money at him to keep him there (like they did Jabba the Weis, what a great move that was :roll: :roll: ), I just kind of have a feeling he's like a rolling stone in that he won't let any moss grow under his feet.

Will he be successful? Short term, absolutely, with the weak-assed schedule that the biting Irish play. Long term, they will continue to struggle because of their academic requirements. The "blue chip" players, for the most part, won't have the grades, motivation, or inclination to go play under Touchdown Jesus.

I'm afraid that the allure of playing for Notre Dame is a thing of the past. Just my opinion, and I'm not looking to start any arguments here, but the administration has sh*t-canned how many coaches in a row now? The irishes' operating model is misaligned with the reality of today's big business college athletics.

bigtimehitter
All Conference

Post by bigtimehitter »

Steely Dan wrote:
bigtimehitter wrote:

While the Catholic school can throw tons of money at him to keep him there (like they did Jabba the Weis, what a great move that was :roll: :roll: ), I just kind of have a feeling he's like a rolling stone in that he won't let any moss grow under his feet.

Will he be successful? Short term, absolutely, with the weak-assed schedule that the biting Irish play. Long term, they will continue to struggle because of their academic requirements. The "blue chip" players, for the most part, won't have the grades, motivation, or inclination to go play under Touchdown Jesus.

I'm afraid that the allure of playing for Notre Dame is a thing of the past. Just my opinion, and I'm not looking to start any arguments here, but the administration has sh*t-canned how many coaches in a row now? The irishes' operating model is misaligned with the reality of today's big business college athletics.

No,no, no, don't get me wrong here, I wasn't trying to start an argument here. All I was saying, is thst I FEEL that Kelley is just looking for the big paycheck, because like all I was saying, MONEY TALKS...AND NOTRE DAME HAS ALL THAT. I actually DESPISE ND....I'm not arguing here. just looking for a little coversation... :122245

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Big time - Sorry that I gave the impression that I thought you were trying to start an argument, I knew that you weren't, I was just trying to qualify what I was saying in that I wasn't trying to start anything with my comments. Were cool!

Now, I absolutely agree with you in that I think that money is most likely the primary motivator for Coach Kelly. With the money, comes the ego. If he has some success at ND, I can see him doing a Nick Saban/Bobby Petrino and jumping into the NFL. As we both know, both of those experiments didn't work out well! :lol:

As you can tell, I'm no Irish fan either. I don't see them returning to their glory days due to their high academic requirements to even get in the door at ND. Kelly's success will be the result of a weakened schedule and his coaching ability, and not based on the quality of the athletes he will recruit.

I really don't see him lasting any longer than Charlie Weis in this job, to be perfectly honest.........

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

Now, let's all remember before we go and throw out the "lofty academic standards of Notre Dame" arguments,
RANDY MOSS was once accepted and granted a scholarship to play for Notre Dame.

If they want you bad enough, you'll get in.

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

POW! Another nail slammed directly on the head. Me thinks you have this guy figured pretty darn good.

The Flying Dutchman
Varsity

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Randy Moss was never accepted at ND. He never finished filling out his application so he was denied but nice try Dub. As for Brian Kelly, ND is his dream job. He was very close to being hired a year ago but ND decided to give Weis one more chance.Kelly turned down both Tenn and Washington last year hoping the ND job would come open soon.Kelly grew up an Irish Catholic in Boston rooting for ND, dreaming of one day being a player or a coach there. Kelly has won everywhere he has been and will win at ND. He already has a great reputation with H.S. coaches in Ohio and Mich which will help with recruiting. GO IRISH!!!!

Lloyd Xmas
Waterboy

Post by Lloyd Xmas »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:He already has a great reputation with H.S. coaches in Ohio and Mich which will help with recruiting.

Tell him to stay the heck out of Ohio. There are 49 other states (and the District of Columbia) he can recruit.

Malcontent
Freshman Team

Post by Malcontent »

I liked what I saw out of him when he was introduced by the Notre Dame AD. I think the Irish made the right choice this time.

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

I'm not a ND fan, far from it, but weakened schedule? Aren't they playing basically same schedule they've played for years?
Um, msu, purdue, USC, navy, army, bc. Throw in a few home/away with Pitt, uconn, osu, wvu and etc

Mouth's Better Half
Varsity

Post by Mouth's Better Half »

Thank you Flying Dutchman for clearing up the Randy Moss thing. ND is a huge "coach must produce to stay "job. I can't imagine the pressure, but the opportunities and $ have to be as lofty as the goals set for a coach. That said, athletes are a different breed there, I'm sorry, but the entrance requirements are difficult for the best of students in the country. You can say that they help lesser athletes get in but to stay you must get your grades. I hope Coach Kelly does well there. I also am impressed that he is pro-life. In this politically charged time people tend to lose their moral convictions and those who stand by the unpopular ones are to be commended.

The Flying Dutchman
Varsity

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Lloyd, When Ara was at ND he recruited Ohio big time. ND needs to get back in both Ohio and Penn and get that pipeline started again. A wise man on here told me there was plenty of talent in Ohio to go around so maybe Tress will let us have some ;-)
MBH, I do need to tell you that Coach Kelly and his wife are actually Pro- choice.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

You can have some talent, heck Woody sent you tons of it.
He caled himself the best recruiting tool ND ever had.

If he didn't have a chance at getting the guy, and it was between ND and UM, then he would
actively recruit the athlete to Notre Dame.

Ohio, Penn, and the Chicago catholic league, are allareas that ND needs to get back into if they want success like they USED to have.

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

I think Kelly will win immediately at ND. As i said this year, there would be no excuse for him not going 9-3 next season. As for recruiting, if the requirements are still the same as they once were, they will never get back to the standard they once were. Parents do not require kids to have the grades they once had to. For that matter, neither do State Boards of Education.

Mouth's Better Half
Varsity

Post by Mouth's Better Half »

Did any of the sports networks speculate on any of the assistants he might bring with him? Anybody know?

LoganElm_grad09
Varsity

Post by LoganElm_grad09 »

Not a UC fan or a ND fan, but he completely screwed his players over at Cincinnati. I'm sorry, they're on the eve of the biggest football game in school history and the man bolts! Why?? Yeah I get it that $$$ talks, but he owed it to those players to finish the job he started. Coaches going to different jobs is a part of the business, but at least finish your season you're in right now. Notre Dame isn't going anywhere. And if UC would happen to take Florida down, I'd imagine the ND people would start giving high fives because their coach can beat the elite teams.

My honest opinion, I hope that the karma comes back and Notre Dame, the job he wanted so bad, eats him alive because of the pressure. Shame on Coach Kelley for doing that to those players.

Sorry for the rant folks; just wanted to get it out :).

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

I agree - but Mark Dantonio did the same thing to UC just prior to a Bowl game a few years ago which led to UC's hiring Brian Kelly; and Brian Kelly deserted his Bowl-bound Central Michigan team to take that offered UC job.
NCAA rules say active coaches cannot be approached/recruited by other schools until after the end of the regular season. It stands to reason that "winning" Bowl-bound coaches are going to be sought after and recruited. And those coaches who choose to accept new jobs are therefore forced to "desert their team" in between Regular season and Bowl season. They have no other choice regarding timing!
This is an easy problem to fix!!! All it would take is for the NCAA to move the approved contact date from a school to a coach forward by a month - from the end of Regular season to the end of Bowl season. There are, I believe, over 30 Bowl games - therefore over 60 teams and coaches involved. How about just waiting one more month til all Bowl Games are over before allowing efforts to entice any coach away from their current school/team and encouraging him/her to change schools?

And I think I recently said all this on another thread.

1959IRISHA
Waterboy

Re:

Post by 1959IRISHA »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:Randy Moss was never accepted at ND. He never finished filling out his application so he was denied but nice try Dub. As for Brian Kelly, ND is his dream job. He was very close to being hired a year ago but ND decided to give Weis one more chance.Kelly turned down both Tenn and Washington last year hoping the ND job would come open soon.Kelly grew up an Irish Catholic in Boston rooting for ND, dreaming of one day being a player or a coach there. Kelly has won everywhere he has been and will win at ND. He already has a great reputation with H.S. coaches in Ohio and Mich which will help with recruiting. GO IRISH!!!!

After originally signing a letter of intent to play college football with Notre Dame in 1995, Moss took part in a racially-charged fight at his high school that left one person hospitalized. Notre Dame subsequently denied his enrollment application, but this did not stop another high-profile college football program from giving him a chance. Notre Dame officials suggested he attend Florida State due to the reputation of its coach, Bobby Bowden, for handling troubled players.[9] However, because of his signed letter of intent at Notre Dame, the NCAA considered him a transfer student, which made him ineligible to play for the Seminoles in the 1995 football season.

bigtimehitter
All Conference

Re: Re:

Post by bigtimehitter »

1959IRISHA wrote:
The Flying Dutchman wrote:Randy Moss was never accepted at ND. He never finished filling out his application so he was denied but nice try Dub. As for Brian Kelly, ND is his dream job. He was very close to being hired a year ago but ND decided to give Weis one more chance.Kelly turned down both Tenn and Washington last year hoping the ND job would come open soon.Kelly grew up an Irish Catholic in Boston rooting for ND, dreaming of one day being a player or a coach there. Kelly has won everywhere he has been and will win at ND. He already has a great reputation with H.S. coaches in Ohio and Mich which will help with recruiting. GO IRISH!!!!

After originally signing a letter of intent to play college football with Notre Dame in 1995, Moss took part in a racially-charged fight at his high school that left one person hospitalized. Notre Dame subsequently denied his enrollment application, but this did not stop another high-profile college football program from giving him a chance. Notre Dame officials suggested he attend Florida State due to the reputation of its coach, Bobby Bowden, for handling troubled players.[9] However, because of his signed letter of intent at Notre Dame, the NCAA considered him a transfer student, which made him ineligible to play for the Seminoles in the 1995 football season.

That Wikipedia sure is a handy site....

Return to “College Sports”