AN OBVIOUS OHIO STATE/BIG TEN BIAS????

theassassin
All State

Re: AN OBVIOUS OHIO STATE/BIG TEN BIAS????

Post by theassassin »

i dont keep up with the women much but thought they might get a 1 seed.

as for the men... maybe need to play a tougher non conference schedule. i could possibly see an argument to place them in front of villanova (lost 5 of last 7 i think). not sure about kstate/osu comparison.

not trying to hijack the thread but imo an even bigger bias/travesty is duke getting the overall #3 seed. i dont think they finish top 4 in big east. to top it off not only does duke get that #3 overall spot but they get villanova as the #2 and purdue minus robbie hummel #4

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

My two cents worth doesn't mean much but with the women's team, 6 straight Big Ten titles or whatever with 1st and 2nd round losses in the previous few tournaments probably figured in that decision (even though I know it's not supposed to). On the flip side, the Big Ten by most "experts" was rated near the bottom of the major conferences (SEC, ACC, BIG EAST, BIG-12, BIG-10, PAC-10) this year and the league tournament proved this point by Michigan State and Purdue getting smacked and OSU getting by a terrible Michigan team on a prayer. All this figured in and in my opinion both getting a 2 seed surprised me but if they didn't give a 2 seed to both teams with the record they had, all !@#$ would have broken loose in the midwest media.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

TV ratings is why you have the seeds that you have and the teams playing at certain sites.

The NCAA contract with CBS is up after this year and they need ratings to get more money for the next TV contract.

OSU will draw well in mens basketball in Milwaukee.

The NCAA needs Duke to at least make the Final Four. Duke has played in 3 of the 4 most viewed college Final Four games in history.

White America wants to see a team of mostly white players do well in the tourney, this brings in the advertising dollars. The NCAA comes down hard on the universities for using student/athletes for generating money for the university's coffers, but they do the same thing and don't see a problem with it.

Just my opinion.

ball hound
Freshman Team

Post by ball hound »

IMO Duke doesn't make it past 2nd round... I think Louisville will beat them....the Big East will show its dominance in the tourney. But we shall see. I do think a team from the Big East will win it all though.. I also think that OSU got the seed they deserved. I dont see them beating any of the other 2 seeds w/ the exception of maybe K St. I hope they prove me wrong.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

Again, teams that have good followings usually play close to home so the stands are as full as possible.

I have to agree, Duke does not matchup well with Louisville and they could be the first #1 seed out.

Also, OSU's womens program has come a long way but they still have a way to go before they can be mentioned in the same breath as UCONN, Stanford or Tennesse.

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

One game at a time.
Win 3 four team tournaments and you are NCAA Champions

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

I don't think you can make an arguement for any teams seed based on if they were in the Big East. Where would Ohio State finish in the Big East. Are they a better team then say Georgetown? You'll have a hard time convincing me that they are. Kansas would have had a difficult time winning the Big East.

The one thing that will benefit you in the NCAA tourny is having upper classmen. Duke imo after seeing them in person 4 times will not be beaten by Louisville and may have the easiest road to the Final Four. This Villinova team is not the same team as last season imo. The big 3 for Duke are all upper classmen and whoever matches up with them will have problems because of Singler. The Bigs for Duke are good enough to make enough plays and not hurth thier team.

The problem is Michigan State fell apart down the stretch and lost one of their best players (don't forget they lost to an awful UNC team either), Purdue lost their best player and struggled down the stretch. Ohio State minus Turner would be an average team, and I think that has a lot to do with it. WVU minus Butler is still a top 25 team, OSU minue Tuner not so much.

I think it all comes down to the top teams of the big ten struggling down the stretch.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

Michigan State lost Lucas for a few games, but he had been back for several games when OSU won at MSU.

Also, Purdue had Hummel in both games against OSU.

Plus, Duke lost to Wisconsin. Does that mean Wisconsin would win the ACC?

Kentucky beat UNC by two this season. UNC was young but confident to start the season. There is no denying the talent. However, sometimes when young talent gets exposed, it goes to the tank. UNC went to the tank.

OSU went 27-7, and lost three of the games with the NPOY out. They lost another game with him only playing partial minutes. They were a major injury away from being a possible 30-win team. However, they still won 27 games and were hot to end the season.

My complaint is not that OSU deserved a #1 seed. I just feel they should have been Duke's #2 seed. Nova should be stuck with Ok St./Ga Tech, Gtown/UT, and Kansas, as opposed to Richmond, Baylor and Duke.

Sorry, but we've already seen that OSU and WVU are tight on WVU's home floor with a rabid crowd. You know, the Big East regular season 3-seed and tournament champion.

hoosier3434
Waterboy

Post by hoosier3434 »

yea osus men should have got more respect i mean the big ten was arguably one of the best conferences in the nation this year and ohio state shouldnt have been put with kansas but they were so maybe just maybe the upset can happen just ask the 07-08 gonzaga,georgetown, and you can almost ask about the 07-08 national champion kansas jayhawks about how an upset can really happen and if davidson college could do it i know ohio state can.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

I the Buckeye faithful feel that the women's team was wronged by having to play UConn,
then prove it with your actions not your words.

If they both make it to the elite 8, then UConn has to come to DAYTON to play the Buckeyes.
Playing a #2 seed 45 minutes from their home city, and in front of a bunch of rabid Buckeye fans.
Give the women your support and let the crowd carry them to an emotional upset.

UConn will eventually get beat, UCLA did when they were winning every game they played in the 70's.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Duke lost to Wisconsin with no inside play. Z didn't start turning the corner until mid-late season and the Plumlee's not playing together was awful, when they decided that the Plumlee's should play together for the first time the produced a 17-14 (Mason) and 12 and 8 (Miles). I think they are much more solid down low now then when they played Wisconsin.

The Big Ten was not very good this season from top to bottom. Michigan State will get exposed and unfortunatly Purdue lost thier best player and that was a huge hit. Down the stretch MSU and Purdue tanked and those are two top teams that hold a lot of the leagues reputation. Ohio State minus Turner is average and people saw that. With Turner they are very good but still not great.

Purdue has a strong run early with big wins over WVU and Tennessee. The last three games they struggle to beat a very bad PSU team, win a close game over NW, and than loss to Minnesota bad.

Wisconsin goes 11-6 and losses twice to Illinois and Minnesota.

MSU is overrated and it will show. MSU has three bad out of conference losses and went 5-5 down the stretch.

The Big Ten is not a great conference.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

BTW, Turner played all 40 minutes vs WVU and had 18 pts.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

^^^^Agree. UNC SHOULD be real good based on talent as well. It will be interesting.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

peake wrote:I don't think you can make an arguement for any teams seed based on if they were in the Big East. Where would Ohio State finish in the Big East. Are they a better team then say Georgetown? You'll have a hard time convincing me that they are. Kansas would have had a difficult time winning the Big East.

The one thing that will benefit you in the NCAA tourny is having upper classmen. Duke imo after seeing them in person 4 times will not be beaten by Louisville and may have the easiest road to the Final Four. This Villinova team is not the same team as last season imo. The big 3 for Duke are all upper classmen and whoever matches up with them will have problems because of Singler. The Bigs for Duke are good enough to make enough plays and not hurth thier team.

The problem is Michigan State fell apart down the stretch and lost one of their best players (don't forget they lost to an awful UNC team either), Purdue lost their best player and struggled down the stretch. Ohio State minus Turner would be an average team, and I think that has a lot to do with it. WVU minus Butler is still a top 25 team, OSU minue Tuner not so much.

I think it all comes down to the top teams of the big ten struggling down the stretch.

LOL.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

HAHAHAHAHA^^^^^^ Big East should be 0-3 right now

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I don't think you can make an arguement for any teams seed based on if they were in the Big East. Where would Ohio State finish in the Big East. Are they a better team then say Georgetown? You'll have a hard time convincing me that they are. Kansas would have had a difficult time winning the Big East.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now what do you have to say?????

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

WHO CARES!!! THE BOBCATS WINNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9th seed in the Mac tourny, 14th seed in the NCAA and they knock off GTOWN!!!!!!!!!

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

peake wrote:HAHAHAHAHA^^^^^^ Big East should be 0-3 right now

:-D But yes.. I should shut up. OSU hasn't won yet.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

I am laughing at myself but at the same time I don't even care because I love to see the Big East eat it. OSU will be fine.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

peake wrote:I am laughing at myself but at the same time I don't even care because I love to see the Big East eat it. OSU will be fine.

sometimes we all need to laugh at ourselves!!!

Return to “College Sports”