The Big East, Overrated?

Peake
SEOP

Re: The Big East, Overrated?

Post by Peake »

I agree. That is why I am not interested in hearing a debate about the Big East or any conference for that matter. The tournament exists is to find the best team, not conference.

I have to work with a bunch of New York people who all think that New York is the only place on earth that matters, much like the fans of the Big East.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

peake wrote:I have to work with a bunch of New York people who all think that New York is the only place on earth that matters, much like the fans of the Big East.

Now I really do feal bad for you, it was bad enough that you're a UM fan. :122249 :-D

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

avalanche wrote:Well since you made the point that Villinova struggled down the stretch, so did MSU in a supposed weaker conference and were able to pull out a win despite being a lower ranked seed. Purdue is another team that was able to squeak by a great PSU team, beat Minnesota (a team who would not have made it in until the BT Tourny), and then lost first round of the BT Tourny. Purdue struggled but still won. Excuses, there are 1000 of them. The Big East is deep, no one is arguing that, but being deep does not make you the best nor does it mean anything come tourny time. The best teams win---period. You can come up with a million different scenarios and everyone of them can be debated by another, but all that matters is those teams lost.

National Championships have no baring on a conference that claims to be the best every year? Really?!?!

#5 seed msu beat #12 seed new mexico st... with the help of some questionable calls.

notre dame, like minnesota played their way in to the dance by making conference tourney runs.

guess it depends on how you look at it but i thought when talking about the best conference you would look from top to bottom. big east media has no say on the tournament seeding. isnt that done by presidents and ad's from around the country?

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

The_Legend_of_Northwest wrote:No National Championships have nothing to do with your conference. If Syracuse or WVU wins the title is Greg Monroe from GTOWN going to be on the court celebrating with them NO WAY. Do you think that if St Mary's or Gonzaga win the title that everyone is going to look at the West Coast Conferene and say 'what a dominant basketball conference'. Doubtful. The NC is for the best TEAM not the best CONFERENCE.

+1

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

qualified101 wrote:way overrated.

i should have said top heavy rather than overrated.

Amen Corner
Varsity

Post by Amen Corner »

From top to bottom the big east is the best.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

The Big East has teams with talent. Some of the teams and players just do not play well game in game out. Some of the teams have some very talented players but also have a short bench. Most of the Big East teams play without a true center which could have helped out when the outside shots did not fall.

The media likes to pick the best conference just like they tried to say the SEC in Football this year but toward the end of the year they were thinking of some other conferences. This year as it is so far in the tournament some of the lower conferences are showing some very good teams. They do not have the highly touted talented players on their teams but they play as a team. The announcers on tv today are saying that the conference records this time of year means nothing. The Big East good talent but not a dominating team or teams.

Diehard Fan
Freshman Team

Post by Diehard Fan »

Big East is a joke except for Syracuse which could go a long ways.

Diehard Fan
Freshman Team

Post by Diehard Fan »

Big 10 has 3 teams left and the Little East has 2, so there.

Diehard Fan
Freshman Team

Post by Diehard Fan »

Wvu will get thumped by Wash.

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

^^^^you just throwing crap out there to see what sticks there diehard? got anything to back up that statement? obviously you are not a fan of fundamental teams that play solid defense, rebound the basketball and control tempo.
guess we'll find out thursday night if wvu gets thumped by wash.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

theassassin wrote:^^^^you just throwing crap out there to see what sticks there diehard? got anything to back up that statement? obviously you are not a fan of fundamental teams that play solid defense, rebound the basketball and control tempo.
guess we'll find out thursday night if wvu gets thumped by wash.

WVU will be without their starting point guard, and the replacement will be a defensive
replacement only.

tubby
Varsity

Post by tubby »

^^^^

Yeah you're right that Mazzulla is not a big scoring threat. With his shoulder I don't think I've seen him even attempt a shot outside 15 ft. However, Mazzulla runs the offense very well and under control. He has been playing good lately but he is prone to foul trouble too. Butler can run the point if WVU needs him to.

I say WVU by around 10 cause we all know WVU can't play for a full 40 minutes.

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

Diehard Fan wrote:Wvu will beat Wash.

Fixed

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

Diehard Fan wrote:Big East is a joke except for WVU and Syracuse which could go a long ways.

Fixed

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

yes, they will be without starting pg for remainder of tourney but in both the big east and ncaa tourneys mazulla has actually played more minutes than bryant. like tubby said mazulla more of a playmaker. offensively has played better late also. much better defender than bryant. butler or ebanks will also fill in at times if needed. takes away offensive flow though. mazulla sometimes prone to fould problems. if he pick up early fouls could be big problem for wvu.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

theassassin wrote:yes, they will be without starting pg for remainder of tourney but in both the big east and ncaa tourneys mazulla has actually played more minutes than bryant. like tubby said mazulla more of a playmaker. offensively has played better late also. much better defender than bryant. butler or ebanks will also fill in at times if needed. takes away offensive flow though. mazulla sometimes prone to fould problems. if he pick up early fouls could be big problem for wvu.

I agree.

Eagle82
All Conference

Post by Eagle82 »

Orange and Brown wrote:WOW!!! I think the Big East has been exposed! All year all we have heard about is how great the Big East is from top to bottom and now they are dropping like fly's.

Hey now, Marquette is still my favorite no matter what conference they are in.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

I believe the only reason Syracuse is out is because the big guy Onuaku was hurt and couldn't play. You can't lose your best player and win the national title. WVU is still kicking and I know they're the underdog but it would be a sweet ride if they can win 2 more games. Let's GO Mountaineers :aaaaa26

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

let's gooooooooo
mountaineers!!!!

Return to “College Sports”