#2 OSU vs #3 Clemson National Semi Final

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: #2 OSU vs #3 Clemson National Semi Final

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Ahhhh. No excuses already for crying out loud. Ohio State wins anyways, IMO.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Gentlemen, Gentlemen !!!!! I think too much is being made of Clemson's schedule and conference. They were in the ACC when they beat the Bucks the other 3 times and you may be surprised once again. :idea:

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:18 am Gentlemen, Gentlemen !!!!! I think too much is being made of Clemson's schedule and conference. They were in the ACC when they beat the Bucks the other 3 times and you may be surprised once again. :idea:
I agree. Ohio State better buckle up tight. Not going to be easy, but I think they can win this one. But no excuses before nor after the game. Win or lose!

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Omega wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:17 pm
Bleeding Red wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:30 am 5 short days until this big showdown.

We will find out how healthy Fields really is after a 3 week break.

We will find out if Clemson's soft schedule makes a difference in this one or if they just got much better throughout the season and scheduling doesnt matter.

How will Clemson chip and double team Chase? Will Clemson be able to contain a healthy Fields and JK running attack? How will OSU's DBs match up with Clemson's receivers??

This one will be a dandy.

If Fields really is healthy I think OSU wins this one by 10. If not, OSU's defense must be able to get 3 and outs and get into Trevor Lawrence's grill.
Here is an update on Fields injury. Looks like he will not be 100% healed and will have somewhat limited mobility.

So they say.......

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:18 am Gentlemen, Gentlemen !!!!! I think too much is being made of Clemson's schedule and conference. They were in the ACC when they beat the Bucks the other 3 times and you may be surprised once again. :idea:
Reality versus perception. OSU in 2019 has been described as the most complete team ever. The statistical metrics support that statement. Yet the Buckeyes and the Big 10 have failed more often than not on the big stage while Clemson is a proven commodity having won two of the last three NCs. Also the Big 10 has been shut out 69-0 in its last two playoff appearances. We will not know if OSU and hence the Big 10 measure up until the game is played. At least the Buckeyes have the opportunity to prove the skeptics wrong.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Clemson is no doubt a very good well rounded team, they have been there and proved that they deserve all the praise that they are getting. With the exception of the North Carolina game, ( who lost 5 or more games ) to say that this year that the ACC is not a weak conference, top to bottom besides Clemson, is just not true. Florida State since Jimbo left for greener pastures, would be lucky to win the MAC. conference. Wake Forrest and Virginia both had pretty good records, but I don't think either team could play with Penn State or Wisconsin even on there best day, mayby with Minnesota or Michigan, and I even have my doubts there. Clemson no doubt is so much better than all the other schools in the ACC, that really it's not even close. I hate to even say this, but I think for the Buckeyes to have a chance to stay in this game, or to have a chance to win the game, that they will end up having to outscore Clemson, because they are going to put points on the board against the buckeyes. I really hope I can say that I was wrong, as I have been plenty of times. Go Buck's.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

Omega wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:16 pm
Reality versus perception. OSU in 2019 has been described as the most complete team ever. The statistical metrics support that statement. Yet the Buckeyes and the Big 10 have failed more often than not on the big stage while Clemson is a proven commodity having won two of the last three NCs. Also the Big 10 has been shut out 69-0 in its last two playoff appearances. We will not know if OSU and hence the Big 10 measure up until the game is played. At least the Buckeyes have the opportunity to prove the skeptics wrong.
I have never read truer words here. now is our chance to get back some respect. but it was just a few years ago we won the natty. just like ironton going to 9 state championship games, but only wininng 2. it is hard to be top dog. some schools, I take that back. the vast majority of schools never even get a chance to sniff at a national championship in division 1 football. so we as buckeye fans are completely and utterly spoiled. if you all remember at the beginning of the season I said I could see us going undefeated. but I never dreamed we'd be in this situation. so we have to crank it up. and with fields admitting he's at like 80 perecent makes me wonder if that is playing possum, and giving Clemson a false read. or is he actually much farther along than this and doesn't want Clemson to know. one thing is for sure. Clemson will test him right off the bat. and we'll get a quick opportunity to see how he reacts when the pocket has to move. and on rpo's. because he is an incredible threat if healthy. especially running. but my opinion is they were running him too much to begin with. dual threat qb's will always be walking the edge of a sword, because of the nature of their specific set of talents. and ohio state is cleaning up on dual threat qb's. so there will be injuries. and this may be the lone weak spot of the buckeyes is lack of qb depth. if somehow fields cannot go. I hope we put in dobbs and Teague at the same time. they are both very good blockers and amazing talents running the ball. that could be a key Clemson is not counting on, if fields is actually more immobile than he is saying. but with Clemson, we are going to find out right off the bat, because they are going to be pinning their ears back and coming right for him. so there is absolutely nothing more important in this game than the buckeyes offensive line and tight ends blocking.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

but at least that gives you 2 backs to have to key on. and just a split second for a defender misreading who has the ball because of this, and you head to the house. so in essence you are worried about 3 running threats fields dobbins and Teague. which could make for a much hard situation for an aggressive defense like Clemson's. then you hit their underbelly with the passes. I look for possibly several trickeration plays as well. gonna be a wild one fo sure. go bucks.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

This is for VetteMan who asked me on the Gameday thread about the game.

Offense: I was ready to say advantage Buckeyes. The BIG question mark is Fields and that left knee. Just how comfortable is he and can he avoid the pressure. That being said...Lawrence and Etienne vs Fields, Dobbins, and Teague: Slight advantage OSU

Defense: Again was ready to say OSU until Hafley got the BC job. He has one foot out the 🚪. On the other side, Venables is the highest paid assistant in D1 at 2.5 mill/yr. Clemson has had problems with running qbs...especially up the middle on scrambles. Perkins of UVa showed that in the ACC championship. Young of OSU is a beast-can Clemson put a TE on his side to slow him down??
I'm calling this one: Even

Kicking: Egde OSU

Coaching: Edge Clemson

Intangibles: I'm going with Clemson again. With 3 weeks to prep, Dabo and staff will come with something. Call it a gut feeling.

Bottom line: computers say Buckeyeys 53% while Vegas has Clemson a 2pt fav. Old Timer thinks...

Clemson 34 OSU 30

VetteMan, there is the answer to your question. As I said in the OSU/ttun...I am a Nole fan. Have been since 1979.

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

OHHS old timer wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:07 pm This is for VetteMan who asked me on the Gameday thread about the game.

Offense: I was ready to say advantage Buckeyes. The BIG question mark is Fields and that left knee. Just how comfortable is he and can he avoid the pressure. That being said...Lawrence and Etienne vs Fields, Dobbins, and Teague: Slight advantage OSU

Defense: Again was ready to say OSU until Hafley got the BC job. He has one foot out the 🚪. On the other side, Venables is the highest paid assistant in D1 at 2.5 mill/yr. Clemson has had problems with running qbs...especially up the middle on scrambles. Perkins of UVa showed that in the ACC championship. Young of OSU is a beast-can Clemson put a TE on his side to slow him down??
I'm calling this one: Even

Kicking: Egde OSU

Coaching: Edge Clemson

Intangibles: I'm going with Clemson again. With 3 weeks to prep, Dabo and staff will come with something. Call it a gut feeling.

Bottom line: computers say Buckeyeys 53% while Vegas has Clemson a 2pt fav. Old Timer thinks...

Clemson 34 OSU 30

VetteMan, there is the answer to your question. As I said in the OSU/ttun...I am a Nole fan. Have been since 1979.
Just my honest opinion folks. Yes, I am pulling for a Battle of Death Valleys in the championship game! Been to both stadiums...had a GREAT time tailgating with both groups of Tigers and made friends with a couple from both sides.

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

I called defense Even primarily due to DC Hafley with a foot out of door for B.C.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

IT'S ALMOST THAT TIME FELLERS N GALS. GO BUCKEYES BEAT CLEMSON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Was not aware that the OSU-Clemson semifinal would be played on a natural grass field that is maintained outside then is rolled into the stadium prior to the game. Would this be a disadvantage for the Buckeyes who have played most of their games on turf while Clemson plays home games on grass.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

That's the way they designed the stadium. Interesting idea....I like it.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Omega wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:32 pm Was not aware that the OSU-Clemson semifinal would be played on a natural grass field that is maintained outside then is rolled into the stadium prior to the game. Would this be a disadvantage for the Buckeyes who have played most of their games on turf while Clemson plays home games on grass.

Advantage, Clemson.

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:54 pm
Omega wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:32 pm Was not aware that the OSU-Clemson semifinal would be played on a natural grass field that is maintained outside then is rolled into the stadium prior to the game. Would this be a disadvantage for the Buckeyes who have played most of their games on turf while Clemson plays home games on grass.

Advantage, Clemson.
Indeed.

BoJack Horseman
Waterboy

Post by BoJack Horseman »

This may surprise people, and Clemson has obviously outplayed these rankings, primarily because of outstanding QB play IMO (and Ostarine anyone?), but look at the 4 playoff teams, plus PSU and Michigan, when it comes to top 100 ranked players signed in recruiting (according to 247 composite) during 2016 through 2019 (the primary makeup of the current rosters).

OSU - Top 100 Prospects Last Four Years: 35

LSU - Top 100 Prospects Last Four Years: 21

PSU - Top 100 Prospects Last Four Years: 16

Michigan - Top 100 Prospects Last Four Years: 15

Clemson - Top 100 Prospects Last Four Years: 13

OU -Top 100 Prospects Last Four Years: 12

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

BoJack Horseman wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:18 pm This may surprise people, and Clemson has obviously outplayed these rankings, primarily because of outstanding QB play IMO (and Ostarine anyone?), but look at the 4 playoff teams, plus PSU and Michigan, when it comes to top 100 ranked players signed in recruiting (according to 247 composite) during 2016 through 2019 (the primary makeup of the current rosters).

OSU - Top 100 Prospects Last Four Years: 35

LSU - Top 100 Prospects Last Four Years: 21

PSU - Top 100 Prospects Last Four Years: 16

Michigan - Top 100 Prospects Last Four Years: 15

Clemson - Top 100 Prospects Last Four Years: 13

OU -Top 100 Prospects Last Four Years: 12
The B10 has obviously underperformed overall for decades based on recruiting prospect numbers when talking Nat'l championships. It could be all the conservative play calling when it counts most. There have been very few gamblers in the B10 during my lifetime on the big stage or final game and it's becoming more pronounced to the national audiences here lately with 2 shutout blowouts and 2 non-appearances in the CFP the last 4 years for the B10. Maybe Day is different, we'll see here shortly.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Game day !! It’s here

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

TRENCHFOOT wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:43 am Ahhhh. No excuses already for crying out loud. Ohio State wins anyways, IMO.
you won't hear any excuses from me trench. I may tell ya what I thought of the game. what I think we did right or wrong. but not excuses. crazy it was over 60 degrees yesterday. I cleaned windows that I could reach with windex and a cloth. and had on flip flops, a sleeveless tee shirt and shorts. meanwhile in arizona :( where the buckeyes are they had over a foot of snow nearby. just crazy.

Return to “College Sports”