SSU's soccer field. Is it being replaced or removed.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

SSU's soccer field. Is it being replaced or removed.

Post by rockyraccoon »

I was down by the soccer field at Shawnee State and saw that it has been scrapped off the face of the Earth and they were putting in a thick layer of gravel. Is the field being replaced or removed. I would like to see them play their games at the new Porstmouth football stadium, which is the nicest field in this area and is marked off for soccer, but as far as I know there hasn't been a soccer game played on it yet.

ssusoccer
Varsity

Re: SSU's soccer field. Is it being replaced or removed.

Post by ssusoccer »

We are getting a brand new all sports turf field. It should arrive late this week, and be up and running by September 8th! No more playing in the mud!

Gview
Freshman Team

Post by Gview »

ssusoccer wrote:No more playing in the mud!
Well that takes some fun out of the game. :)

Congrats on the new sports turf.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

great for ssu. field turf offers them many opportunities. can't wait to see opening matches.

ssusoccer
Varsity

Post by ssusoccer »

Here is a list of our home games at SSU:
Admission Free!
Wednesday September 8 Ohio Valley Christian @Portsmouth, OH 4:00 p.m.
Saturday September 25 St. Catharine* (Alumni Weekend) @Portsmouth, OH 3:00 p.m.
Saturday October 2 Lindsay Wilson*(NAIA National Champs) @Portsmouth, OH 3:00 p.m.
Saturday October 16 Urbana @Portsmouth, OH 12:00 p.m.
Saturday October 23 Campbellsville* @Portsmouth, OH 3:00 p.m.
Monday October 25 Malone @Portsmouth, OH 4:00 p.m.
Tuesday October 26 Cincinnati Christian @Portsmouth, OH 4:00 p.m.
Saturday October 30 University of the Cumberlands* (Senior Day) @Portsmouth, OH 4:00 p.m.

* indicates Mid-South Conference match.
Dates, times, and opponents subject to change.

B1OHIO
Riding the Bench

Post by B1OHIO »

Do you have any scrimmages against the mexican nationals planned? If so I would like to come and watch, please let us know. Thanks.

FSUfly#13
Varsity

Post by FSUfly#13 »

I'm surprised that they travel to Marshall for a regular season game. Are they even ready for that type of competition? They are losing to below average schools in their own conference, let alone stepping up from NAIA, playing opponents above NCAA D3 and D2. Lost 10-0 to Notre Dame College in 09, Huntington of Indiana 0-5 and Cedarville 0-3, while also having a reputation for losing to Rio Grande in previous seasons by 9-10 goals. Best of luck to Shawnee, but they should probably have a better winning percentage before stepping up to a team of Marshalls caliber.

FSUfly#13
Varsity

Post by FSUfly#13 »

Why is this a topic in the High School forum anyway?

ssusoccer
Varsity

Post by ssusoccer »

FSUfly#13 what conference is SSU in anyway?
Also, I seen where Marshall played I believe D-III Ohio Valley last season!
Wow have you ever been to the bar in Portsmouth called Richard Noggin's?

FSUfly#13
Varsity

Post by FSUfly#13 »

Mid South I believe?
I believe that Marshall can play anyone they want. They play teams like Kentucky, Louisv...they play D1 schools more than often. The closest Shawnee has seen to D1 was Notre Dame College in which they lost 10-0 according to the schedule, right? Marshall can name the score in this one.
Last edited by FSUfly#13 on Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FSUfly#13
Varsity

Post by FSUfly#13 »

Shawnee finished 203 out of 207 NAIA schools in 2008 also. Winning 2/3 games? If that.

ssusoccer
Varsity

Post by ssusoccer »

Both schools needed a game,both had openings late in the scheduling year, both schools are close in proximity. Yes, Marshall was in the Finals of the D-I Conference USA Finals, where we did not make the conference tourney. SSU also if you would look closely at the schedule they play NAIA National Champs in Lindsey Wilson College later that week. So who better to get them ready for that type of play than a D-I school?
Thank you for the history lesson, now let's move on to 2010 where the young SSU men's soccer team without a senior will have a great test in traveling to Huntington!

FSUfly#13
Varsity

Post by FSUfly#13 »

It is a great idea to better the competition, but how many more double digit losses does it take from NAIA schools to realize that the Marshall game would be worse? Shawnee recruits locally from Webster, Burg, Clay...do they have what it takes to compete with the best in the country? Forget the 10-0 loss, they struggle with average opponents as well. Once again best of luck, I hope that Marshall shows a little mercy on Shawnee after MU scores 7 goals in 20 minutes.

ssusoccer
Varsity

Post by ssusoccer »

2010 potential roster breakdown Fr. thru Juniors:
SOC: 14
Columbus-7
Dayton-6
Cleveland-2
Athens-1
Logan-1
Russell-1
Germany-1
Africa-1
Charleston-1
Cincinnati-1
Chillicothe-1
Lima-1

*Total number of 2009 starters from SOC returning 2. One a D-1 transfer from Ohio State.
**A number of players on this roster have received All-state honors, All-district honors and All-conference honors. Even ODP selections.
Marshall is a quality team and a quality program.
Again both teams needed a game, economically speaking it made sense due to the proximity of Portsmouth and Huntington. Having to travel during the week is tough due to having to miss class time.
FSU I wish you nothing but the best, good luck in your future endeavors.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

here's to a good ssu season. they worked to recruit local talent. let's hope they can step it up and play at the next level. can't wait to watch them play. great to see game with marshall. will really try to be there. go bears.

FSUfly#13
Varsity

Post by FSUfly#13 »

ssusoccer wrote:2010 potential roster breakdown Fr. thru Juniors:
SOC: 14
Columbus-7
Dayton-6
Cleveland-2
Athens-1
Logan-1
Russell-1
Germany-1
Africa-1
Charleston-1
Cincinnati-1
Chillicothe-1
Lima-1

*Total number of 2009 starters from SOC returning 2. One a D-1 transfer from Ohio State.
**A number of players on this roster have received All-state honors, All-district honors and All-conference honors. Even ODP selections.
Marshall is a quality team and a quality program.
Again both teams needed a game, economically speaking it made sense due to the proximity of Portsmouth and Huntington. Having to travel during the week is tough due to having to miss class time.
FSU I wish you nothing but the best, good luck in your future endeavors.
It's great competition and will make Shawnee better, but they have suffered a lot of embarrassing losses over the years so my point is that the soccer team needs to win at least 12-15 games in a few seasons before stepping up to that level. Great for expenses as far as travel, but losing badly to a D1 school or paying a few hundred dollars more to play a lesser opponent? The athletes are going to be embarrassed. The Shawnee State Athletic Program is already down as it is, except for Womens Basketball and Softball. It is obvious that Shawnee is trying to grow, new logo/colors/uniforms/facilities, but just not there athletically to begin scheduling D1 programs. You would think that your athletes and coaches would want to win more games, rather than technically throwing in the towel before the game even starts. The coaches record at Shawnee is somewhere along the lines of 20-30 Wins/160 losses, which is about 20%. An inexperienced teenager could win that many games within 10 years. Once again, best of luck to Shawnee on the whole season, especially against Marshall.

hssoc
Waterboy

Post by hssoc »

The absolute rudeness of FSUfly#13 is shameful on a sports forum. Ever here of SPORTSMANSHIP, FSU. Really, what kind of person says things like that. Obviously you must not know the SSU Coaches and you are very unaware of all they have provided for our local soccer players. Thankfully most readers on SEOPS are more informed than you. Mabye you should be considering an apology to SSU for embarrassing yourself.

ssusoccer
Varsity

Post by ssusoccer »

Or maybe he needs to chug on over to "Mamby Pamby Land"!

----
Freshman Team

Post by ---- »

The Shawnee State Athletic Program is already down as it is, except for Womens Basketball and Softball. It is obvious that Shawnee is trying to grow, new logo/colors/uniforms/facilities, .[/quote]

Are you stupid? I'm sorry to be blunt but SSU had its best year every athletically last year.

WBB- National Runner Up
MCrossCountry- 4th in Nation
Softball and Baseball- AMC Champs
Volleyball-AMC Champs, National Tournament Appearance...
WSOCC- First ever AMC Tournament Appearance
Mens Soccer- Continued Improvement
Womens CC- Solid top half AMC finish...

WHERE IS THAT BAD?

For a state school at this level, that is tremendous... SSU Athletics for the majority seems to be headed in the right direction

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

Rumour has it that some high School mathces are going to be held on that field. Heres an idea, Run those games before an SSU match as a double header. Would be great for the kids.

Return to “College Sports”