SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: 2010 Florida State Football

Post by Orange and Brown »

They still have a team??

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

They have the potential to have a dynamic offense.

Ponder returns at QB, and if he can stay healthy, then expect over 3,000 yards passing.
They have to do better at putting the ball into the end zone though, last season Ponder had 2,717 yards and only 14 TDs.

They return 5 starters from the offensive line, so they should do a better job at protecting the QB.
With the experience should also come a more dependable running game.

Last year they ranked 33rd in points scored. By comparison OSU was 49th.
How much of a difference separates those 16 spots...
...1 point per game.

The offense won't be the problem, JimBo was the OC and Bowden let him do his thing.
No FSU supporter can blame a transition in the offense for any problems in scoring.

Where the issues will lie are on the defensive side of the ball.
The Seminoles were 6-6 last regular season.
The reason is, they gave up as many points on defense as their offense was scoring.
They must improve on defense, or they will finish with the same outcomes.

Every one of their 5 loses last year was by more than a field goal.
But 3 of their 7 wins were by a field goal or less.

This season I think they likely win 8 games.
They could win 9 or they could also lose another and get 7 wins.
They are a solid team, but not a great team.
The ACC is a conference that has about 5 teams of equal footing, but they don't have a great team in the conference.

Florida State benefits from not having VTech or Georgia Tech on the schedule this season.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

He doesn't have anything to say about the team he supports.

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

seofan_via_dublin wrote:He doesn't have anything to say about the team he supports.
It is hard to brag about a Florida State team posting a 38-27 record over the past five years. It is more interesting for him to knock Ohio State's 54-10 record!

Seriously.......would you want to discuss Florida State football and their recent records on an Ohio State forum? It is more entertaining for him to get OSU fans stirred up. Fly may be a closet Buckeyes fan and this is his way of getting some conversation about the program that he truly admires. I don't know.....just a thought.

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

Didn't he change his name to FlytOSU?

TigersGameDayFan
JV Team

Post by TigersGameDayFan »

Florida State Sucks

FSUfly#13
Varsity

Post by FSUfly#13 »

FSU offense=Great
Defense=Young

Thanks for the topic Dublin.

To others, say all you want about FSU because we own Ohio State in all 3 games played. That's enough for me. Until Ohio State faces Florida State and wins I could care less about Ohio States success. Majority of it is overhyped. Only reason I can't stand Ohio State is because of the fans talk about the overrated/overhyped games they have won. Yet losing to Texas/USC/Illinois/Purdue at home, suffering an embarrassing loss to Florida and losing to LSU is great. Beating Notre Dame/Oregon/Oklahoma State/Kansas State is an accomplishment. The last time Ohio State beat a powerhouse tradition was Texas in 2006 and Miami in 02. Florida State had their run. Miami. Notre Dame. Tennessee. Oklahoma. LSU. Michigan. USC. It all ends for a short period of time until those rebuild. When FSU is on the winning track, they will get more and more of those great recruits. They already have a Top 10 recruiting class and 2011 is looking even better.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

FSUfly#13 wrote:FSU offense=Great
Defense=Young

Thanks for the topic Dublin.

To others, say all you want about FSU because we own Ohio State in all 3 games played. That's enough for me. Until Ohio State faces Florida State and wins I could care less about Ohio States success. Majority of it is overhyped. Only reason I can't stand Ohio State is because of the fans talk about the overrated/overhyped games they have won. Yet losing to Texas/USC/Illinois/Purdue at home, suffering an embarrassing loss to Florida and losing to LSU is great. Beating Notre Dame/Oregon/Oklahoma State/Kansas State is an accomplishment. The last time Ohio State beat a powerhouse tradition was Texas in 2006 and Miami in 02. Florida State had their run. Miami. Notre Dame. Tennessee. Oklahoma. LSU. Michigan. USC. It all ends for a short period of time until those rebuild. When FSU is on the winning track, they will get more and more of those great recruits. They already have a Top 10 recruiting class and 2011 is looking even better.
You love to talk about OSU losing games but lets talk about the "great" Bobby Bowden and all the choke jobs his teams have produced over the years! FSU will never be great again! The Canes will be back in the top 10 before FSU will.

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

Jimbo seems to be bringing in some highly rated recruits and commitments for next years class.

Malcontent
Freshman Team

Post by Malcontent »

Raiderball wrote:Jimbo seems to be bringing in some highly rated recruits and commitments for next years class.
And most of them can't score more than 12 on their ACT.

FSUfly#13
Varsity

Post by FSUfly#13 »

Malcontent wrote:
Raiderball wrote:Jimbo seems to be bringing in some highly rated recruits and commitments for next years class.
Geez, who are you? Their academic advisor? Last time I checked, we just graduated a Rhodes Scholar not too long ago, who is conducting his own cancer-research foundation.

When was the last time OSU beat FSU? The "Great" Bobby Bowden surely never "Choked" to the almighty Buckeyes. Just saying.

I would be happy if FSU had one same amount of recent BCS bowls that Ohio State has, but I sure would not be exceedingly happy with the opponents who were beaten. MAYBE Oregon and definitely Miami in 02.

FSU will never be great again? That is stupid. They are getting some of the best recruits in the country with Jimbo Fisher in his first year. Ohio State won their 1st championship in 2001 since what, the 20's? We could have said back then that Ohio State would never be great again. It took them like 25-30+ years to win a National Championship since then. It won't take FSU 25-30 years.

Like I said, Ohio State has had great success, so has FSU. FSU's success is not greater than Ohio States. Fact of the matter is that Ohio State is always overrated and just because they win a bowl game should not make them feel as if they deserved to be in the National Championship. Now when FSU wins a BCS game, I will be very happy but it also depends who they play. If we played Boise State, I wouldn't be as happy as beating them than I would Florida/Texas/Alabama.

Ohio State will not win the National Championship this year. You guys can wake up. TP is not winning the heisman either.

Malcontent
Freshman Team

Post by Malcontent »

FSUfly#13 wrote:
Malcontent wrote:
Geez, who are you? Their academic advisor? Last time I checked, we just graduated a Rhodes Scholar.

Ohio State will not win the National Championship this year. You guys can wake up. TP is not winning the heisman either.
While your checking, get us the name of that Rhodes Scholar, he's is probably the one with the Dillard's sack. LOL

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Yes they did have a Rhodes Scholar but that is just one player. They seemed to have a lot of trouble with many of the other players at FSU.
Fly many of your comments go right along with what many people have said about Bowden's career. Wide Right and Wide Left.

ACCBiggz
JV Team

Post by ACCBiggz »

Malcontent wrote:
FSUfly#13 wrote:While your checking, get us the name of that Rhodes Scholar, he's is probably the one with the Dillard's sack. LOL
Myron Rolle. Amazing person.

The insults going back and forth is rather childish, whoever said every team has obnoxious fans is absolutely correct. OSU fans bashing FSU is a bit off base considering OSU went through a rough patch in previous years and both teams have one BCS title a piece. The single biggest difference between the two teams, and the whole NCAA for that matter, is that OSU put together an excellent coaching staff while FSU's got dismantled.

When FSU was dominant it featured guys such as Mark Richt as the OC. When Richt accepted the job to Georgia FSU replaced him with Bowden's son who showed his incompetence in constructing an offense. That was the downfall of FSU. Offensive production fell off despite the talent. Then scouts and such also left for other schools and they received less talented players. When FSU hired Jimbo the offensive production started to pick back up. Last season they were an elite offense and could have contended for a BCS bowl had the defense not been absolutely atrocious. However, with Stoops as the new DC I think everyone will see FSU return to the top of the NCAA in 2-4 years. I mean, Stoops made Arizona a top defense... he's a very good defensive coordinator.

As for this season, I think the game against Oklahoma will speak volumes for where they are. They are young on defense, but if they can get past Oklahoma and not have a shoot out like their Miami game last year where they were exploited horribly that'll show they are a top 10-15 team this season. Their offense should be even better and Ponder could vie for the Heisman this season.

Optimistic expectation is to contend for the ACC title and get a BCS bowl bid. Realistic expectation is for the Seminoles to finish in 2nd or 3rd in their division and show that next year they'll be a hot pick for BCS contender.

And just because this is an Ohio board and a lot of back and forth. I always do my pre-season rankings myself and has OSU #2 and just like the Noles they have a tough game in Week 2. If they get past Miami I don't foresee any troubles getting through the Big Ten. I expect Ohio State to be in the BCS title game. It was in Smith's Junior year that he broke out under Tressel, if Pryor does the same the Buckeyes should easily go undefeated and then probably take the national championship.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Wow, an ACC fan with a fresh perspective, welcome to the site, and hope to see you around.

Return to “College Sports”