Derek Roback quits Notre Dame enrolls at Ohio University

Pol pot
SE

Re: Derek Roback quits Notre Dame enrolls at Ohio University

Post by Pol pot »

What are you smoking? The Appalachian Scholars Program of Ohio University, this is a sister program to the Urban Scholars program. Currently Ohio University Appalachian Scholars Program provides Scholarships to 7-10 students of Appalachian students each year. With a total enrollment of 31 Appalachian Scholars this year. You post that all you need is a 2.5 GPA, that is total myth, please check your facts:
http://www.ohio.edu/opportunity/appalac ... ements.cfm

Once again, the figures and information that I am giving you is directly from Ohio University, easily obtainable, and factually based. While you give ZERO facts or confirming information.
http://www.ohio.edu/admissions/freshguidelines.cfm

Transfer students do have an easier route to admissions, however my post and point was incoming freshmen. A transfer must have a 2.0 min GPA over 30 Qtr hours 20 Sem hours before they can be considered for enrollment. That is one year of proving yourself at another institution of higher learing (that is accredited).

boy of summer
Freshman Team

Post by boy of summer »

Pol Pot-I agree 100% with your comments to Orange and Brown. Local kids with a 4.0 have a tough time getting meaningful scholarship money from OU let alone those with a 2.5 unless they have an ACT score off the chart. Getting into the main campus at OSU for an incoming freshman is difficult and generally requires a pretty decent ACT and GPA. Just about any student can get into a branch campus of either university regardless of their ACT score. If they do well, they can transfer to the main campus.

hbk2016
Varsity

Post by hbk2016 »

Pol Pot,

Why would you say I don't have very many friends, not sure where that is coming from.

It is pretty obvious that you work at the University. As I have said I have a B.S. and M.S. from OU and am a supportive alumni, but I am not naive enough to think that OU is on par with Notre Dame. Outside of SE Ohio Notre Dame is much more respected than OU.

I realize that seems to hurt your feelings, but it is no different than saying a degree from Harvard opens more doors than a degree from OU.

Just how it is.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Actually I do not work at the University, just an active alum. My original disdain here lies with the degrading of an Ohio University degree by referring to Ohio University as "the outhouse" and "hillbilly U". Notre Dame may bring a little more national prestiege, however a degree from Ohio University is nationally respected as well, especially in the fields of engineering, journalism, sports administration, and several other fields. Then you top it off by throwing out the falsehood that any Ohio resident can gain admission (NOT true), and then another poster throws out that if you have a 2.5 gpa and live in Ohio you can go to school for free (NOT).

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

hbk123 wrote:I have two degrees from OU also. It isn't exactly Notre Dame! A degree from ND carries alot more clout in the world than one from hillbilly u.
i'm not takin anything away from ou or nd but you might what to think about what you said. i have several friends with degrees from ou. one is makin close to 6 figures a yr with a computer degree from there. another has a teaching degree from there. both are doin very good for themselves with a degree from quote "hillbilly u"

i also have a couple friends with degrees from there who are not chemical engineers. so it must be a "decent college"

kahn
Freshman Team

Post by kahn »

Derek's transfer is confirmed by Derek himself. The Daily Times is interviewing Derek today and there will be a story in the Times by Tuesday at the absolute latest. To be honest I'm shooting for Saturday or Sunday's paper if I can get comments from Notre Dame and OU by then.

John Stegeman
PDT Sports Editor

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

It is really nobody's business but this young mans as to why he came back home. Even if he never plays a snap in college, he made it way past where most careers die, and was recruited by a fine institution.

hbk2016
Varsity

Post by hbk2016 »

Sorry boys, you can't snow me on OU. Like I said I have two degrees from there. Great atmosphere and nice campus.

I enjoyed every minute of it, but in the end it is a state school. Regardless of what you say, a person can have a G.E.D. go to a branch campus take a year of classes transfer to the main campus and with some hard work get a degree.

That isn't possible at Notre Dame.

fast1
Riding the Bench

Post by fast1 »

I think his Dad is an alumni of Ohio. I also was informed he has a GF that attends there. ND had him listed as a Safety/linebacker. Who knows what would have been, :| maybe another Rudy?

hbk2016
Varsity

Post by hbk2016 »

He will do great there. He is a quality young man.

Jumpshot
Riding the Bench

Post by Jumpshot »

I am confused: Is he playing football at OU and getting a "ride" or not? Can the football team there do that at this point in time, or does he have to try to walk on in the spring now? In short, did the player walk away from about $200,000 in scholarships to come home? And, if so, all that matters is that the college degree is in fact completed somehow in the future. Maybe he just wanted to be a "regular" student w/out all the practice, travel, and demands, and the family can afford that or will make it happen like so many others not under the microscope do. I am sad the Notre Dame thing didn't work out. And no, an OU degree is not the same as a Notre Dame degree. However, it is still a pretty good degree! It is VERY tough academically, physically, and emotionally to stick it out away from home in a demanding academic setting, and I would have said "give it more time"; but, truth is, we don't know just how miserable the kid was, and no one wants a tremendously miserable kid when there is a solutiion. Only the young man and his parents know all the details and the level of unhappiness. Who cares what anybody on a local post board thinks, anyway. That's part of growing up, too. You do what you have to do and make the best of it.

hbk2016
Varsity

Post by hbk2016 »

He is on a full athletic scholarship at OU. He can practice with the team, but has to sit out this year.

Jumpshot
Riding the Bench

Post by Jumpshot »

Well, then; nothing lost at all and now a happy camper! Very good. He wins when he gets the degree. That's the real truth of the matter. :)

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

I have two degrees from OU. Right out of high school, I didn't even consider anywhere else. OU is a great school. Having said that, OU is not Notre Dame. A free college education at Notre Dame ---and connections with that alumni base for networking purposes --- is more powerful than a degree from OU and most other colleges for that matter.

As long as he is happy with his decision - both now and later in life - that is all that matters.

If it were me, knowing what I do now about how the world of work actually operates, I'd have taken that free education at Notre Dame in a heartbeat.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

its still good to see a kid from SEO playing ball at the next level.

Return to “College Sports”