2019-20 Ohio State Buckeyes Men's Basketball

Geronimo
SEOP

Re: 2019-20 Ohio State Buckeyes Men's Basketball

Post by Geronimo »

Being so up and down will they make the big dance? Hope so ?

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Geronimo wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:12 am Being so up and down will they make the big dance? Hope so ?
They're a lock for the NCAA tournament. They'll likely be a #6 or #7 seed. Potentially even higher.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Chieftain2009 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:24 pm
3sUp wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:21 pm Need Young, Carton, and Gaffney back soon for tournament depth. But the Bucks are looking dangerous without them.
OSU is looking really solid. I would be shocked if Carton returns this year. Gaffney could provide some depth, but he won't really play much at all. The big one in my opinion is Young. He should be back soon, haven't heard anything yet. He is an absolute game change with his effort and hustle. You don't see that from many players any more.
Agree with everything that you say about Young. When he's healthy, he plays harder than any other player on the team. So far the past couple games they have gotten by without anyone getting into serious foul trouble, but that can change very fast, and probably will. If Young can get back soon, they then would be able to play 7 or 8 in there rotation.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Buckeyes looking good at the right time. Big game against Illinois on Thursday.

Who Dey!
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Chieftain2009 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:19 pm
Geronimo wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:12 am Being so up and down will they make the big dance? Hope so ?
They're a lock for the NCAA tournament. They'll likely be a #6 or #7 seed. Potentially even higher.
The Buckeyes are in. I just do not know if that is a testament to the strength of OSU and the Big10 or if it is a result of true quality teams being few and far between this season.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Omega wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:37 am
Chieftain2009 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:19 pm
The Buckeyes are in. I just do not know if that is a testament to the strength of OSU and the Big10 or if it is a result of true quality teams being few and far between this season.
I agree, plus I think that it's a little bit of both. A lot of equally talented teams all around the country this year. The teams that can turn it up a notch at this time of the year, and are also relatively healthy, probably have a pretty good chance of going pretty far in the tournament.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

A big come from behind victory tonight over #23 Illinois, 71-63.

Ohio State wraps up their regular season on Sunday on the road at #16 Michigan State.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Chieftain2009 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:39 am A big come from behind victory tonight over #23 Illinois, 71-63.

Ohio State wraps up their regular season on Sunday on the road at #16 Michigan State.
One of the tougher venues to play at and come out with a win. Michigan State it seems like every year for the past few years is always one of the better teams in the Big 10, especially at the end of the season and the tournament starting.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Finishing out the regular season, the Buckeyes traveled to East Lansing on Sunday, and ultimately fell to #16 Michigan State, 80-69. The Spartans, on their senior night, seemed like they were in near complete control throughout the game. They were led by their star senior point guard, Cassisus Winston, who tallied 27 points, 6 assists, 4 rebounds. OSU was led by Duane Washington Jr with 16 points and 5 rebounds.

Ohio State has received the #7 seed for the Big Ten Tournament, and will be playing Purdue (the #10 seed) in the Big Ten Tournament on Thursday night at 6:30.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

No big shock or surprise in losing to Michigan State regardless, even if the Buckeyes had a full roster and were at full strength, winning at East Lancing can be and is usually one of the toughest venues around to be able to come out with a win.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

As of right now it appears as if the Buckeyes might be in play for a graduate transfer for next season. Seth Towns, a Columbus Northland product who has been playing at Harvard University in the Ivy League, has decided to transfer and is in the process of choosing between the Buckeyes, Kansas, Maryland, Michigan, Syracuse, and Virginia. He is 6'7" and was Ivy League Player of the year his second year at Harvard. He did not play this past year because of an ACL injury. He would have 2 years eligibility remaining after transferring. He must be worth the risk even with the recent knee injury, as there are quite a few of the Big Boys that are interested in him. I might also mention that the Buckeyes were recruiting him when he was a Senior at Northland.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Just read on Eleven Warriors that DJ Carlton is entering the Transfer Portal, and will be leaving Ohio State after part of one season. He has been gone from the team about 3/4 of the way into the season, returning home to Iowa. He and his family both have said that he has been having Mental Health issues for the past couple years. He returned to Ohio State about 11-12 games ago, returning to classes but never rejoining the team at all. Hate to see him go, as he is quite the talent. Good luck to him, hope he gets his Health situation under control.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

VetteMan wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:13 pm As of right now it appears as if the Buckeyes might be in play for a graduate transfer for next season. Seth Towns, a Columbus Northland product who has been playing at Harvard University in the Ivy League, has decided to transfer and is in the process of choosing between the Buckeyes, Kansas, Maryland, Michigan, Syracuse, and Virginia. He is 6'7" and was Ivy League Player of the year his second year at Harvard. He did not play this past year because of an ACL injury. He would have 2 years eligibility remaining after transferring. He must be worth the risk even with the recent knee injury, as there are quite a few of the Big Boys that are interested in him. I might also mention that the Buckeyes were recruiting him when he was a Senior at Northland.
As it stands right now, it appears as if Seth Towns has gotten his choice down to either Ohio State or Duke. We might know something either tomorrow or by the weekend. Hope he chooses the good guys this time, because everything that I have read, indicates that if his knee is okay, he is a very good player. A lot of pretty good basketball schools must think so, as he has been getting a lot of interest from quite a few of them. The Buckeyes could use a little bit of good news, especially with DJ Carlton entering the Transfer Portal.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

With everything that is going on with this Virus, probably about the only thing that ESPN can talk about pertaining to sports, is either show reruns all the time, as they just don't have much to talk about. Well unless somethings changes, on there Sportscenter show tonight at 11:00 pm, they are supposed to announce witch school Seth Towns, the graduate transfer from Harvard will be transferring too. He has narrowed his choices down to OSU and Duke, I'm hoping that he chooses the Buckeyes, but you just never know.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Well, I just got my wish in that Seth Towns has decided to transfer to the Buckeyes. If his knee is okay after the ACL injury, I think he will really be a good fit for the Buckeyes.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

VetteMan wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:22 pm Well, I just got my wish in that Seth Towns has decided to transfer to the Buckeyes. If his knee is okay after the ACL injury, I think he will really be a good fit for the Buckeyes.
After some really good news last night, in that Seth Towns has decided to commit to the Buckeyes for 2 years, and after watching some of his highlights, if he can remain healthy I really believe that he will be a great addition. Now today after seeing that Alonzo Gaffney has decided to leave OSU after his freshman year, even though I think a lot of people were more or less looking for this to happen, whether or not we know the real reason probably really doesn't matter. I don't believe that he is looking to transfer to another school, but in fact may be exploring his Pro options. Being 6'9', I'm sure that he will probably be given a chance somewhere, maybe even overseas to prove that the potential is there. If Kaleb Wesson leaves this year after his Junior year, witch a lot of people think that he will, that might mean that the Buckeyes would try to bring in another graduate transfer, at either the center position or another point guard.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Buckeyes final season rankings:

NET Rankings: #16
AP Rankings: #19
Coach Rankings: #18

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Just read where Kaleb Wesson, 6'10" big man for the Buckeyes has decided tp enter the NBA draft. Not really a surprise to most people as he has just completed his Junior year with the Buckeyes. He is going to hire an agent, but can still come back for his Senior year providing he withdraws his name from the draft by June 3rd. I'm not sure that he will be drafted, but will probably end up going overseas to play.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

VetteMan wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:22 pm Just read where Kaleb Wesson, 6'10" big man for the Buckeyes has decided tp enter the NBA draft. Not really a surprise to most people as he has just completed his Junior year with the Buckeyes. He is going to hire an agent, but can still come back for his Senior year providing he withdraws his name from the draft by June 3rd. I'm not sure that he will be drafted, but will probably end up going overseas to play.
No surprise there. He almost left after last season. In the mock drafts I've seen, they have him going in the late 1st round to the early 2nd round.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Chieftain2009 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:52 pm
VetteMan wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:22 pm Just read where Kaleb Wesson, 6'10" big man for the Buckeyes has decided tp enter the NBA draft. Not really a surprise to most people as he has just completed his Junior year with the Buckeyes. He is going to hire an agent, but can still come back for his Senior year providing he withdraws his name from the draft by June 3rd. I'm not sure that he will be drafted, but will probably end up going overseas to play.
No surprise there. He almost left after last season. In the mock drafts I've seen, they have him going in the late 1st round to the early 2nd round.
I agree with you, as I don't really think that he will come back for his Senior year regardless. A lot of people don't really think that even if he came back for another year, that it maybe wouldn't even improve his chances of being drafted in the first round anyway. Even if he isn't drafted in the NBA, he will still have an opportunity to play overseas and make some decent money.

Return to “College Sports”