SO WHO IS NUMBER 1 NOW.--OHIO STATE?????

fightingtigers45
S

Re: SO WHO IS NUMBER 1 NOW.--OHIO STATE?????

Post by fightingtigers45 »

Poll is out.

Ohio State, Oregon, Boise, Nebraska, TCU, Oklahoma, Auburn, Alabama.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

fightingtigers45 wrote:
Those three teams Alabama just played would be the best three teams on Ohio State's schedule, and they played two on the road.
Those three teams are over rated and very beatable, and Bama shold have whipped all three.
They get extra credit though not deserved because they play down south.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

you see no 1AA- teams on ohio states schedule , they are in the meat of theirs now. and lest we forget we already throttled miami.

florida, non conference games.miami ohio, south florida, appy state, fla. state
georgia's nc -ul lafayette, colorado,idaho state, georgia tech
kentucky's nc-louisville,western kentucky, akron, charleston southern
south carolina nc-southern miss, furman, troy, clemson
tennessee nc-tennessee martin, oregon, uab, memphis,
vanderbilt nc-northwestern, uconn, eastern michigan, wake forest
alabama's-san jose state, penn state, duke, georgia state
arkansas's-tennessee tech, ul monroe, texas a /m, utep
auburn's-arkansas state, clemson, ul monroe, ut chattanooga,
lsu's-north carolina, west virginia, mcneese state, ul monroe
ole miss's-jacksonville state-tulane,fresno state, ul lafayette
miss. state's-memphis, alcorn state, houston, uab.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

you see no 1AA- teams on ohio states schedule , they are in the meat of theirs now. and lest we forget we already throttled miami.

florida, non conference games.miami ohio, south florida, appy state, fla. state
georgia's nc -ul lafayette, colorado,idaho state, georgia tech
kentucky's nc-louisville,western kentucky, akron, charleston southern
south carolina nc-southern miss, furman, troy, clemson
tennessee nc-tennessee martin, oregon, uab, memphis,
vanderbilt nc-northwestern, uconn, eastern michigan, wake forest
alabama's-san jose state, penn state, duke, georgia state
arkansas's-tennessee tech, ul monroe, texas a /m, utep
auburn's-arkansas state, clemson, ul monroe, ut chattanooga,
lsu's-north carolina, west virginia, mcneese state, ul monroe
ole miss's-jacksonville state-tulane,fresno state, ul lafayette
miss. state's-memphis, alcorn state, houston, uab.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

sorry computer is messed up.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

let me walk the dogs, and i'll put up the big tens non conference, and we'll compare them.

fightingtigers45
S

Thank you for posting that YTB. All that says to me is: Florida has a more difficult OOC than Ohio State.

fightingtigers45
S

Perhaps is Florida wasnt out of the National Championship picture ALREADY, FT45 would be more preoccupied with them instead of knocking Ohio State and the Big Ten.
National Championships in the last 40 years...

Ohio State-1
Florida-3

National Championships in the Tressel Era

Ohio State-1
Florida-2

Florida has done well in my lifetime. They can't win one every year. Being in the picture means nothing. Winning it, however, does.

fightingtigers45
S

Gahs,

I'll reply to the rest later. I'm on my iPhone and it's not as easy to do from here but are you REALLY trying to hype up Illinois?!? And my bias shows? You're reaching BAD with that one. Illinois is awful. They would be the 11th best team (minimum) in the SEC. Ahead of Vandy and that's probably it. They are coached by a Florida reject (and complete idiot for that matter).

Not once have I called Ohio State a bad football team. I'm simply defending the SEC and Alabama's scheduling comparatively.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

big ten out of conference opponents
illinois's-missouri, southern illinois,northern illinois, fresno state
indiana's-towson, western kentucky, akron, arkansas state
iowa's-eastern illinois, iowa state, arizona, ball state
michigan's-uconn, notre dame, umass, bowling green
michigan state's-western michigan, florida atlantic, notre dame, northern colorado
minnesota's-middle tennessee, south dakota, usc, northern illinois
northwestern's-vanderbilt, illinois state, rice, central michigan
ohio state's-marshall, miami florida, ohio, eastern michigan
purdue's-notre dame, western illinois, ball state , toledo
penn state's-youngstown state, alabama, kent state, temple
wisconsin's-unlv, san jose state, arizona state, austin peay

there you have it.make whatever you all like of it.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

and i'm not trying to argue with anyone, merely stating facts. you take the top 3 in the sec, if they lose, they are hardly penalized. you take the top 3 in any other conference they lose. they'll land in the lake. fair is fair. if you win , you ride high, if you lose, you should pay for it, like everybody else

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

and lest we forget ohio state has 7 national championships. and a whole stable full of heisman winners as well.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

boilermaker wrote:No I mean ,the worthless nuts should enjoy their paper crown because when the dust settles they will be the same ole nuts maybe top ten .....MAYBE.......O-VERRATED!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------you got alot of room for being critical of ohio state, you nearly got beat by indiana, and got hammered by michigan state, in THE BIG HOUSE.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Michigan will lose until they get rid of Rich Rod. Thats a given . I just think that OSU is O-VERRATED . JMHO

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

i guess thats why people like us don't get invited to make these polls.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

i'm happy the buckeyes are number 1, and apparently the talking heads that count think so too. saturday will be a huge test for the buckeyes at wisconsin. and either of these teams can play with the elite of the sec, as well as michigan state, iowa.

fightingtigers45
S

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt10.htm

Check out the Sagarin ratings and look at the OSU strength of schedule...Lol.

Sagarin has a good predictor within his rankings. Worth looking at IMO.

FSUfly#13
Varsity

Post by FSUfly#13 »

FT45 is just trying to say that Ohio State simply is not the best team, nor do they outright deserve to be #1. You can say they beat Miami ("Big Game"), who else have they played again? Marshall is 1-3 or 1-4 in C-USA, their only win coming from OHIO, another Ohio State opponent. Illinois? They beat Penn State but even Dublin said before the season that Penn State is down this year and should not be ranked. He saw it coming, and he was right. Penn State is not great this year, along the likes of an (ACC) Wake Forest or (SEC) Louisville. Illinois gave Ohio State another fight. Eastern Michigan and Indiana..c'mon, really? There's nothing to even say about them. Point is, Ohio State may win their games and beat who is given to them on their schedule, but Alabama went on the road twice to play 2 ranked teams and played another ranked team at home. Ohio State has played 4/5 games at home. Interesting fact, Florida State has already played 2 ranked teams on the road (Oklahoma/Miami). Half of what Ohio State plays on the road this year, in the first 5 games! Oregon has beat Stanford, and traveled to Tennessee to play a relatively tough Vols team in a great atmosphere. To whoever said Oregon almost lost to Washington State, uhm, Oregon's starting QB and RB were both out early in the game if I do recall? Correct me if I'm wrong. If Ohio State had Alabama's lineup as far as schedule, they COULD still be undefeated as FT45 said, but I would love to see it also. I agree that Ohio State is a good team, great talent on both sides of the ball. But once again, because of their strength of schedule, they will always manage to cupcake along to the Big Ten Championship. I just want to see them play tough teams, week after week, until they can prove that they belong. I still believe Alabama belongs at #1 based on who they have played, and I don't even like Alabama, but they are the BEST team in college football right now. Period.

1 last thing, to Ohio State fans. FSU just beat the hell out of Miami AT Miami, you can say what you want. Ohio State is still undefeated and FSU isn't, but at least we went to Miami. Rushed for 298 yards and had 471 total yards and handled them with ease. Miami played a tough game in Columbus, after throwing 4 interceptions and Ohio State not capitalizing, were still in the game and you couldn't count them out. We scored 45 points, 2 TD's came from 1 interception and 1 fumble. If Harris threw 4 INT's against us the score would have been in the mid 50's at the rate at which we were scoring.

Charge
Varsity

Post by Charge »

You also got pounded by the Sooners, who Cincinnati took to the wire. The ACC is a real power house conference :lol: :lol:

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

FSUfly#13 wrote:FT45 is just trying to say that Ohio State simply is not the best team, nor do they outright deserve to be #1. You can say they beat Miami ("Big Game"), who else have they played again? Marshall is 1-3 or 1-4 in C-USA, their only win coming from OHIO, another Ohio State opponent. Illinois? They beat Penn State but even Dublin said before the season that Penn State is down this year and should not be ranked. He saw it coming, and he was right. Penn State is not great this year, along the likes of an (ACC) Wake Forest or (SEC) Louisville. Illinois gave Ohio State another fight. Eastern Michigan and Indiana..c'mon, really? There's nothing to even say about them. Point is, Ohio State may win their games and beat who is given to them on their schedule, but Alabama went on the road twice to play 2 ranked teams and played another ranked team at home. Ohio State has played 4/5 games at home. Interesting fact, Florida State has already played 2 ranked teams on the road (Oklahoma/Miami). Half of what Ohio State plays on the road this year, in the first 5 games! Oregon has beat Stanford, and traveled to Tennessee to play a relatively tough Vols team in a great atmosphere. To whoever said Oregon almost lost to Washington State, uhm, Oregon's starting QB and RB were both out early in the game if I do recall? Correct me if I'm wrong. If Ohio State had Alabama's lineup as far as schedule, they COULD still be undefeated as FT45 said, but I would love to see it also. I agree that Ohio State is a good team, great talent on both sides of the ball. But once again, because of their strength of schedule, they will always manage to cupcake along to the Big Ten Championship. I just want to see them play tough teams, week after week, until they can prove that they belong. I still believe Alabama belongs at #1 based on who they have played, and I don't even like Alabama, but they are the BEST team in college football right now. Period.

1 last thing, to Ohio State fans. FSU just beat the hell out of Miami AT Miami, you can say what you want. Ohio State is still undefeated and FSU isn't, but at least we went to Miami. Rushed for 298 yards and had 471 total yards and handled them with ease. Miami played a tough game in Columbus, after throwing 4 interceptions and Ohio State not capitalizing, were still in the game and you couldn't count them out. We scored 45 points, 2 TD's came from 1 interception and 1 fumble. If Harris threw 4 INT's against us the score would have been in the mid 50's at the rate at which we were scoring.
You act as if every game is played in a vacuum. Foolish.

Harris threw INTs because he always throws INTs against good defenses. OSU also lit up the Miami WRs early in the game, and they grew alligator arms for the rest of the game. As a QB or WR, I'm more likely to turn the ball over against eleven great athletes running around all over the place than I am against air.

Let's not forget that OSU gave up a punt return and kick return for TD in that game too. That's 14 of Miami's points. Also, OSU attempted six redzone field goals. Obviously, OSU won't go undefeated if they don't clean those things up. If they do (and they have so far), then they have become a team that beats Miami by 40+ that day.

Finally, let's not forget that OSU's defensive philosophy is different from FSU's D. When OSU gets a two score lead in the second half, they loosen up coverage and force a team to use time to score. Obviously, this makes moving the football, racking up yardage, and scoring easier. It also keeps the other team from scoring quickly and getting back into the game. Before OSU loosened up, Miami had done nothing on offense.

It's the same story from the same crew and it's shocking. Kids from Ohio, liking another team with whom they hold no tangible connection, hating Ohio State irrationally. Stunning.

If you want to use the transitive property, how about this:

OSU was up 35-7 against Marshall in the first half. They even played second teamers in the first half. Still won by 38.

Marshall lost to WVU by 3 in overtime and dominated much of the game.

LSU, on their home field, beat WVU by 6.

LSU beat Florida by 4 at Florida.

So, Florida would beat WVU by 2, maybe. I say maybe because they had LSU at home while WVU was on the road. Vegas gives 3 or 4 points for home field, maybe more.

Also, according to the d-bag theory, OSU would beat LSU by 29. They would beat Florida by 33.

Man, stats and score comparisons make up a great method for determining team strength. :roll:

Obviously, the above is BS, but it sure is fun to use when you're an outsider punk trying to build an argument for an opinion you already hold, regardless of reality.

And Alabama had already eeked out a close win, and lost this game by 14. They lost by 2 TDs and were dominated. I can think Ohio University is the best team in college football all I want, but when they lose to someone by two freaking scores, that opinion gets shaky. Heck, Alabama beat Penn State by 21 at home. Illinois went on the road and beat them by 20. Even Spurrier himself said the SEC East is weak. He was even uncharacteristically modest about his own team's strength.

Anyway, I'm not sure what to think of Ohio State, but if they go unbeaten, they will be in the NC game. Also, the SOS will be no worse than almost all of the other contenders.

Judging a team's strength isn't solely based on SOS. Also taken into account should be: program's recent history, last season's success + returners from that team, the general NFL talent on the team, in blowouts - the severity of the beating before the coach's philosophy about running it up comes into play (OSU taking a 31 point lead into the half and winning 38-3. Boise would've tried to put 70 up), the good-old-fashioned eyeball test.

The old Miami teams who won NCs didn't always play tough schedules.

The old Nebraska teams certainly didn't play tough schedules.

The Leinhart USC teams didn't play tough schedules.

The 2005 Texas team played two good teams.

FSU in the old ACC didn't play a tough schedule either, but they were very good.

The SOS standard can be misleading. Ohio State could play 12 teams ranked between 20 and 32 and handle all of them with a fair amount of ease. All agree that they probably would handle those teams. That would also place their schedule rank near the top, if not the top. It wouldn't make them the most deserving team in college football.
Last edited by Orestes on Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “College Sports”