OSU President Gee speaks out against Boise St and TCU

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Re: OSU President Gee speaks out against Boise St and TCU

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

Dr. Gee listens to the fans of his market and his school.
That's whom he is responsible to.

Case in point, the OSU/Michigan game was set to be moved. It would have been set to a date that was no longer the last regular season game.
Jim Delany, and pizza boy up at scUM, had no problems with moving the date if needed.
The people (fans) of Ohio State yelled a resounding NO!
Every call taken on the local sports talk was against the move, and they all wanted the tradition upheld.
Dr. Gee made an appearance on one of the sports shows up here, and asked that fans send him e-mail and call his office to let him know what they want.
He listened, and when it came time for scheduling, OSU made it clear that they wanted the rivalry kept as the final game.
Thank you Dr. Gee.

An AP reporter called him up and did an interview.
During the course of the interview he was asked what he thought of Boise or TCU getting into the title game.
He responded with an answer that the overwhelming majority of people agree with, but are to cowardly to say.
He didn't sugar coat it, and he shouldn't have.

He and 90% of America agree that if a BCS conference team, especially one from a top BCS conference, runs the table
and goes unbeaten, that BSU and TCU don't deserve to be ranked above them. And therefore, don't deserve a shot at the title if there are
two teams above them that meet these lofty standards.

He could have went the PC (commie) route and said that if Oregon and Auburn both stay unbeaten that they would make a deserving game, and that TCU and BSU should not jump those schools if they don't lose. He never said that OSU or any other one loss team deserved to be higher than BSU or TCU. He simply told the reporter that running the table in the SEC or the Big 10 is much harder to do than running the table in the MWC or WAC. And if a team does go unbeaten in one of those conferences then they deserve to play for the title.

ESPN has a hard on for BSU and TCU, and they hate the Buckeyes. So they will spin the comments as demeaning and negative.
But they won't say that they are not true.

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

seofan_via_dublin wrote:Dr. Gee listens to the fans of his market and his school.
That's whom he is responsible to.

Case in point, the OSU/Michigan game was set to be moved. It would have been set to a date that was no longer the last regular season game.
Jim Delany, and pizza boy up at scUM, had no problems with moving the date if needed.
The people (fans) of Ohio State yelled a resounding NO!
Every call taken on the local sports talk was against the move, and they all wanted the tradition upheld.
Dr. Gee made an appearance on one of the sports shows up here, and asked that fans send him e-mail and call his office to let him know what they want.
He listened, and when it came time for scheduling, OSU made it clear that they wanted the rivalry kept as the final game.
Thank you Dr. Gee.

An AP reporter called him up and did an interview.
During the course of the interview he was asked what he thought of Boise or TCU getting into the title game.
He responded with an answer that the overwhelming majority of people agree with, but are to cowardly to say.
He didn't sugar coat it, and he shouldn't have.

He and 90% of America agree that if a BCS conference team, especially one from a top BCS conference, runs the table
and goes unbeaten, that BSU and TCU don't deserve to be ranked above them. And therefore, don't deserve a shot at the title if there are
two teams above them that meet these lofty standards.

He could have went the PC (commie) route and said that if Oregon and Auburn both stay unbeaten that they would make a deserving game, and that TCU and BSU should not jump those schools if they don't lose. He never said that OSU or any other one loss team deserved to be higher than BSU or TCU. He simply told the reporter that running the table in the SEC or the Big 10 is much harder to do than running the table in the MWC or WAC. And if a team does go unbeaten in one of those conferences then they deserve to play for the title.

ESPN has a hard on for BSU and TCU, and they hate the Buckeyes. So they will spin the comments as demeaning and negative.
But they won't say that they are not true.
ImageImageImageImage

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

^^ good post.

GAHS7462
All Conference

Post by GAHS7462 »

who cares what he said..... Ok Lets eat some turkey today....

javon white
Freshman Team

Post by javon white »

Gordon Gee has his bow tie tied too tight. With the joke of a pre-season schedule OSU played this year (and in most past years), playing eight games at home, etc., he is the last person that should call out BSU or TCU. Play a tough non-conference schedule plus more than two teams a year that may have a chance to beat you and then we can talk.

Charge
Varsity

Post by Charge »

javon white wrote:Gordon Gee has his bow tie tied too tight. With the joke of a pre-season schedule OSU played this year (and in most past years), playing eight games at home, etc., he is the last person that should call out BSU or TCU. Play a tough non-conference schedule plus more than two teams a year that may have a chance to beat you and then we can talk.

Anyone who watches the Big Ten knows any of the teams in the Big Ten can beat the other regardless of their record, look at the Purdue, Michigan State game last week. Anyone who thinks it is a cake walk for teams in the major conferences is a moron, that probably hasn't been watching college football very long. Gee said what he thought, at least he has a set and now everyone wants to cry about it. ESPN and Herbie need to put Boise St in the championship cause thats all they talk about even though TCU is ahead of them in the polls. I would like to see Boise St play Oregon and TCU play Auburn then everyone can shut up.

mab43bac
Freshman Team

Post by mab43bac »

I agree 100% with him , have them come and play in a brutal conference like the big ten or the sec and find out how long they stay undefeated .And for them scheduling one or two big conf. teams big deal.Have them play that sched.every week.I am so sick of hearing about Boise,i hope they get in the national title game with Oregon and get their A## handed to them.

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think posters here think it is only OSU that schedules light(cupcakes) for non conference games. IMO OSU is mentioned because we live in Ohio and and everyone can relate to their schedule. I have said before that WVU needs to drop the Coastal Carolina's and Eastern Washingtons from their schedule. Alabama playing Georgia St(first year in DI) this year is a joke. Michigan/UMass :roll: Many others if you look.

Florida St opened with IAA Samford this year but also had non conference games with Oklahoma, BYU and Florida.
Pitt... Utah, Miami and ND along with N. Hampshire and FIU is a pretty good schedule.

Charge
Varsity

Post by Charge »

All the voters evidently agree with Gee, when the season opened Boise St. was third in the polls behind Alabama and Ohio State who have both lost but even though Boise hasn't lost they are now 4th. If the voters didn't feel the same way they would be number 1 hands down.

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

javon white wrote:Gordon Gee has his bow tie tied too tight. With the joke of a pre-season schedule OSU played this year (and in most past years), playing eight games at home, etc., he is the last person that should call out BSU or TCU. Play a tough non-conference schedule plus more than two teams a year that may have a chance to beat you and then we can talk.
While I see the point you are making, please tell me just what big powerhouse BSU played?
They didnt.
At least OSU did play some quality teams. Maybe not enough of them to keep from drawing their fair share of angst from football fans, but definitly a tougher schedule than BSU.

javon white
Freshman Team

Post by javon white »

He is a hypocrite. When at OSU the first time, he prevailed over one of the biggest athletic budgets in the US. He then went to the purity of the Ivy Leagues and then to Vanderbilt where he got publicity for doing away with the athletic department and putting all sports everything under the direction of the intramural department in an effort to save costs and curtail spiraling athletic department spending. Then after a few miscues by the then OSU President, Mr. Gee returns to OSU, increases his salary and then it is back as usual to fundraising (which he does extremely well, perhaps better than any President in the nation), athletic department spending and pushing the BCS. He does promote OSU very well I may add and that is a plus for the university.

As for people saying they have to do schedules years in advance, I agree. However, you can tell years in advance that the MAC teams OSU schedules will not be able to compete. Likewise, does anyone at OSU have any doubt that games last year versus New Mexico or this year versus Eastern Michigan, OU or Youngstown State were going to be cakewalks.

Why does OSU football not schedule some tough teams like Tom Izzo does every year in basketball at Michigan State? It seems to payoff for the Spartans in hoops during the NCAA tourney every year. Perhaps it might for the Buckeyes come bowl time in football-just a thought.

I watched the movie "Seabiscuit" the other night where the small time horse owner kept challenging the big time horse and its owmer to a race. When it was all said and done, the little guy won after the big guys avoided him and ridiculed him for a long period of time.

Hopefully, the Bucks will not get TCU or BSU in a bowl game. The OSU publicity machine (Dr. Gee) has certainly given them some bulletin board ammo if they do. Hopefully, Seabiscuit will not win the bowl game.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Open mouth ,insert foot mr Gee....LOL

mab43bac
Freshman Team

Post by mab43bac »

There is no way to compare basketball to football , and i dont understand why everyone is on OSUs case about their schedule,as i stated many times before ewvery team in D1 does it including the all mighty SEC (sarcasm) .After VT and until this week i want someone to show me a ranked team on the Boise st. schedule.......

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

And VT has climbed back into the top 25, thanks only to being able to waltz through a horrible conference.

Boise state hasn't accomplished anything James Madison couldn't do this year!

Sports 101
Varsity

Post by Sports 101 »

If OSU played either Boise St. or TCU, OSU would get beat by 2 TD'S...was a OSU fan, not now...

The General
All State

Post by The General »

OSU would have quite a few athletes and talent to match up with Boise St,and especially TCU. BUT NOT THE SCHEMES. Pryor would cause some problems when he tucks it and runs it after his 1-man progression isnt open... :lol: .....and in reality,it is the best play they have if Terrelle wont run for the numbers all the time.

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

I took it as though javon white when talking about Izzo was meaning OSU basketball should schedule tougher non conference.

OSU football schedules one non conf game a year against BCS level schools and then pads their schedule with MAC schools... bottom tier E.Mich, at that. I'll give them Marshall and OU but come on, Eastern Michigan. A team that is annually bottom 10 in the country. No way can you use the excuse of schedules being made out 10 years in advance. Did OSU schedule makers really think they were going to be any more of a challenge than if they played Hilliard Davidson? Need to go back to days of wins against FCS schools not counting toward bowl eligibility. Maybe even requiring a minimum number of games vs BCS level schools.

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

His comments don't look too foolish now do they? He basically said what 90% of the BCS schools feel, but refrain from saying it publicly. The target just got bigger on OSU and all of the haters will jump on the bashing wagon when the Buckeyes lose a game.

mab43bac
Freshman Team

Post by mab43bac »

I think the game last night pretty much vindicated Pres.Gee and showed he has right on.So where are all the Boise st lovers now....

Charge
Varsity

Post by Charge »

Raiderball wrote:I took it as though javon white when talking about Izzo was meaning OSU basketball should schedule tougher non conference.

OSU football schedules one non conf game a year against BCS level schools and then pads their schedule with MAC schools... bottom tier E.Mich, at that. I'll give them Marshall and OU but come on, Eastern Michigan. A team that is annually bottom 10 in the country. No way can you use the excuse of schedules being made out 10 years in advance. Did OSU schedule makers really think they were going to be any more of a challenge than if they played Hilliard Davidson? Need to go back to days of wins against FCS schools not counting toward bowl eligibility. Maybe even requiring a minimum number of games vs BCS level schools.

We can't all play Wofford, Liberty and Coastal Carolina. Bottom line all the big conference teams play a few cup cakes but everyone wants to bash Ohio State. It is jealousy, if Ohio State would have blown a lead like Saban and Alabama did the talking heads would be saying how JT choked but since it was Saban, Auburn was just better.

Return to “College Sports”