Where is President Gordon Gee?

javon white
Freshman Team

Where is President Gordon Gee?

Post by javon white »

Has anyone heard from President Gee during the "TatFive" Scandal?

Will he resurface with anymore "little sisters of the poor" comments in light of a so-called little sister of the poor TCU beating Wisconsin who beat The Ohio State University?

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Re: Where is President Gordon Gee?

Post by Raiderball »

Not likely.

javon white
Freshman Team

Post by javon white »

Very true gahs4ever, very true. However, I think that anyone who ever attended a "little sister of the poor" college will never forget his comments.

ACCBiggz
JV Team

Post by ACCBiggz »

1. Agree with gahs4ever. I say this every year but the regular season and bowl season are completely separate. They just are. And on any given day anyone can beat anyone.

2. Gordon Gee apologized and had an equally funny retraction to his "sisters of the poor" comment that people want to act like doesn't exist so they can try and make their point about Non-AQ schools.

javon white
Freshman Team

Post by javon white »

I agree with you ACCBiggz that the regular season and the bowl season are completely separate and that on any given day anyone can beat anyone. If that is the case, why isn't their a playoff in Division I football like in every other NCAA sport in every division?

That is what makes the NCAA basketball tournament the greatest event in sports.

ACCBiggz
JV Team

Post by ACCBiggz »

javon white wrote:I agree with you ACCBiggz that the regular season and the bowl season are completely separate and that on any given day anyone can beat anyone. If that is the case, why isn't their a playoff in Division I football like in every other NCAA sport in every division?

That is what makes the NCAA basketball tournament the greatest event in sports.
I've explained this numerous times, I'm against a playoff. I could live with a +1 system though, although I'd prefer a year-by-year basis on that (In cases of 05, etc.). In my opinion, anything over +1(4 teams) rewards mediocrity. It's why I do not like the NCAA Basketball Tourny, I watch it because I gamble on it, truly... only reason. It's why I love the current system (prior to BCS 1 v. 2 didn't play - people seem to want to ignore this fact), it truly rewards excellence. That's the essence of champion, to me.

As for regular/bowl seasons being separate, even with a tournament this would not change because there would be the month long wait and utilization of large bowls (Rose, Sugar, etc.) as the semi's. So that wouldn't change.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

It's time for a playoff and even though the presidents , a.d.'s and coaches don't all buy into it yet (because of $), they will eventually. The Big Ten would benefit immensely as they wouldn't have to play an SEC champion or co-champion right out of the chute every year if they had playoff games even though they would probably have to meet them the next week if they would happen to win. In the last 7 of 8 years the big ten has a losing record in bowl games as a whole and if they had playoffs that takes 4 or 5 losses a year away right there.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

Boise and TCU play a decent team each year, then play teams that would struggle to beat the nations top HS programs!

This doesn't change that TCU and Boise are good programs, but it does make them hard to buy into.

If they played in one of the top 4 conferences, they wouldn't be getting the chance to play in these big bowls. Heck, both coaches gave stated that they like the BCS over a playoff, because they know that a one off chance at glory will benefit them more than having to fight through a playoff.

TCU and BOISE may not be sisters of the poor, and Gee knows ge shouldn't have phrased it that way, but those two schools benifit greatly by playing exactly what Gee said!

TCU played a very good game and nothing should be taken away from them for this performance. However, this game was nit a referendum, it was a single game, IN WHICH TCU WAS PICKED TO WIN AND WAS A 3 POINT FAVORITE!!!

oldmo31
Varsity

Post by oldmo31 »

It,s time for a 16 team playoff. Teams sit around for a month and a half, and you don,t know who is going to show up.Some of these conferences play in front of 90,000 to 110,000 people every saturday and then go to a bowl game of 30,000.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

gobucks31 wrote:It,s time for a 16 team playoff. Teams sit around for a month and a half, and you don,t know who is going to show up.Some of these conferences play in front of 90,000 to 110,000 people every saturday and then go to a bowl game of 30,000.
16 teams don't deserve a shot, why are you wanting to reward teams that have no business playing for a title!?

oldmo31
Varsity

Post by oldmo31 »

16 teams would cover all league champions,give the top eight another home game 1 vs 16,2 vs 15,etc. etc.Throw in some at large but the league champions still get first round home games.also if you lose early, you still have a shot at making the playoffs.For Ohio State the ticket sales would be seven million for the first game.Hell we're paying Colorado 1.2 million next year for a non conference game.That,s more than half the bowl payouts.Anything is better than sitting around for 40 to 50 days listening to ESPN talk about one conference over the other.Don't think for a minute it's the presidents and AD'S pulling the strings.ESPN stated on the air that bowl weak was their HIGHEST rating week of all year.I love to watch sports as much as the next guy,but ESPN is a lot of the problem.Long live the Big Ten Network and hopefully the Pac 12 ,Big East,Big 12 networks and then maybe things will change.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

He is at THE Ohio State where he belongs........ :mrgreen: :lol: :razz: :mrgreen: :lol: :razz: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

gahs4ever wrote:When a mid major like the MAC gets three bowl invites and the Big Ten gets eight, there are too many bowl games! 6-6 gets you a bowl invite? I thought bowl games were rewards for SUCCESSFUL seasons. 6-6 at OSU will get you fired; bowl game or no bowl game.

I agree. Way to many Bowl Games. I mean come on, look at some of these. Do we really need all of this?

New Mexico
BYU 52, UTEP 24

uDrove Humanitarian
Northern Illinois 40, Fresno State 17

R+L Carriers New Orleans
Troy 48, Ohio 21

Beef 'O' Brady's St. Petersburg
Louisville 31, Southern Miss 28

MAACO Las Vegas
Boise State 26, Utah 3

S.D. County Credit Union Poinsettia
San Diego State 35, Navy 14

Sheraton Hawaii
Tulsa 62, Hawaii 35

Little Caesars
Florida International 34, Toledo 32

AdvoCare V100 Independence
Air Force 14, Georgia Tech 7

Champs Sports
NC State 23, West Virginia 7

Insight
Iowa 27, Missouri 24 Tempe, Ariz.

Military Bowl Presented By Northrop Grumman
Maryland 51, East Carolina 20

Texas
Illinois 38, Baylor 14 Houston

Valero Alamo
Oklahoma State 36, Arizona 10

Bell Helicopter Armed Forces
Army 16, SMU 14 Dallas

New Era Pinstripe
Syracuse 36, Kansas St. 34

Franklin American Mortgage Music City
North Carolina 30, Tennessee 27

Bridgepoint Education Holiday
Washington 19, Nebraska 7

Meineke Car Care
USF 31, Clemson 26

Hyundai Sun
Notre Dame 33, Miami 17

AutoZone Liberty
UCF 10, Georgia 6

Chick-fil-A
Florida State 26, South Carolina 17

TicketCity
Texas Tech 45, Northwestern 38 Dallas
Cotton Bowl Jan. 1

Outback
Florida 37, Penn State 24

Capital One
Alabama 49, Michigan State 7

Progressive Gator Bowl
Mississippi State 52, Michigan 14

Rose Bowl Game presented by VIZIO
TCU 21, Wisconsin 19

Tostitos Fiesta
Oklahoma 48, Connecticut 20

Discover Orange
Stanford vs. Virginia Tech Miami

Sun Life Stadium Jan. 3
8:30 p.m. ESPN
ESPN3.com

Allstate Sugar
Ohio State vs. Arkansas

GoDaddy.com
Middle Tennessee vs. Miami (Ohio)

AT&T Cotton
LSU vs. Texas A&M

BBVA Compass Bowl
Pittsburgh vs. Kentucky

Kraft Fight Hunger
Nevada vs. Boston College

Tostitos BCS National Championship Game
Oregon vs. Auburn Glendale, Ariz.

frank-n-beans
Varsity

Post by frank-n-beans »

"Antoine's is a great restaurant. I think they serve crow, and I'll be eating my portion of that. TCU played a great game, and they deserved to be recognized for that. Obviously, TCU is a great ball team." -- E. Gordon Gee, Ohio State president, who had chided Texas Christian and Boise State, which play outside college football's six power conferences, for competing against teams like the Little Sisters of the Poor.

Copied from the Columbus Dispatch in today's edition.

----
Freshman Team

Post by ---- »

he made some great comments at the Buckeye Bash today in New Orleans.... Was a stand up comedian about it all.... I think he just made some comments and didn't really think about how people would react. He's always been honest

Return to “College Sports”