Here we go again!

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Re: Here we go again!

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

Interesting, though I found it funny that as the article is written, it basically has 4 lines of relevant news and a full page of dead horse beating.

As for benefits not offered, I didn't make a down payment on my car, and there are tons of no money down deals.

Gibson is making payments on his car, as stated in the article, but the dealership lists the title as $0 for purchase price. This seems more like an issue between the state AG and the irs and the dealership, than the NCAA!

These investigations go on every year, that's the job of the compliance department. If they find wrong doing they will report it, as evidenced by the hundreds of self reported violations already in the books.

The OSU program has done an outstanding job of compliance, Tress made a horrible decision and kept the compliance department out of the loop, but our compliance department has done a great job.

This story has a ring of witch hunting by the Dispatch and ESPN.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

No doubt, I'm in the market for a car, and look like an O-Lineman. Maybe I can get a sweet deal!!!

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/lo ... ml?sid=101

That is the full dispatch article, a much more informative read than what ESPN posted.

It seems as this Kniffin guy is in a heap of personal financial trouble.

If you recall the issue back in the fall with Pryor driving cars that were registered to a dealership on "extended test drives". This is the same salesman that those cars were registered to.

Malcontent
Freshman Team

Post by Malcontent »

I think every university should be investigated for this. I just bought a new car and I hope I don't get investigated because I got a good deal. How many athletes are driving around in these cars and their families are as poor as Jobe's turkey? ESPN is a Big Ten hater. Doesn't take a smart person to figure that out. The Ohio State University needs to be like all the rest and quit turning themselves in to the NCAA. No one else is doing it.

Charge
Varsity

Post by Charge »

It sounds like the Dispatch is trying to put itself out of business. The NCAA won't have to investigate anything, the Dispatch has already done it for them.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Ken Gordon and Tim May didn't even have the courage to put their names on the article

4puttsnowman
Riding the Bench

Post by 4puttsnowman »

Death Penalty. :mad:

moose
Varsity

Post by moose »

Not all news is bad.

The CarQuest Bowl has already extended an invite. :shock:

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

No way the NCAA is going to kill the golden goose that is tOSU. They may have to swallow hard (no pun intended) and blink but remember....they are in bed with OSU to some degree. That deal they cut to allow 5 players to play in the Sugar Bowl knowing what they knew then doesn't exactly leave them lilly white.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

They will hit us hard enough to make it hurt, and for us to remember how it dealt years from now. But Ohio State is too big of a cash cow for all things NCAA, and they won't hit them as hard as alot of reporters want.

There are a lot of people who blasted Pete Caroll for getting out before his school got punished, many of those same people are now saying Tressel should leave, when by leaving he would avoid any lasting punishment and leave the school in his wake.

I think it shows more integrity to admit your sins and stick around for your punishment. Plus after the dust settles and the wins continue he will be a redeemed coach for taking his punishment and continuing to guide his team to greatness despite great adversity.

Also, if you truly do want him gone, which I'm not going to blame you for, you have to move into the search mode.

Who do you replace him with?
How do we keep the recruits already committed?
Do you want to risk a return to Cooper era Michigan games?

These are all a sample of questions you need to answer before you run him out of town!

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

gahs4ever wrote:Of greater import to me is an article in the Sunday Cols Dispatch reminding everyone that this is the longest Thad Matta has stayed anywhere as head coach, and if you read between the lines, he also said that he is completely happy in Columbus, but then he added he was happy at Butler and Xavier too at the time and when he took those jobs he never thought he would leave them.

Fred Taylor lamented his entire time as head coach of the basketball Buckeyes that roundball would always be second fiddle to football, but I believe it is fair to say that Matta has at least narrowed the gap with all his success even as Tressel was winning Big Tens, a National Championship, all those wins over Michigan and all the bowl payouts.

I hope Matta never leaves tOSU in my lifetime, and I hope I have at least another 20-25 years in me (wishful thinking perhaps as I will be 65 this year).
How about 65 more!?

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

After SMU being hit with the death penalty I would be surprised if we ever see that again... hasn't the NCAA even said that?

Dubs, Did Tressel admit his sins or did he just get caught?

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

The short answer, both.

bdubya
Varsity

Post by bdubya »

At least they are paying for the cars, that is more than Randy Ayers' players did.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

I still say the biggest difference between OSU and some of the other like schools is they didn't cheat discretely. Or most of the other schools haven't been caught yet. Major college football is not amateur athletics. Get over it.

dixiechick
Waterboy

Post by dixiechick »

Only amateurs get caught.....pros don't....lol

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

Read an article in the dispatch sometime in the last couple days, Chris Spielman doesn't expect to see Tressell coaching this season. He seems to think there is a lot more yet to come out.

He also mentioned receiving threatening emails from OSU fans for making comments like this publicly.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Spiels has valid opinions, and the way the dispatch, SI, yahoo, and ESPN are witch hunting, there very well may be more come out. If people would remember, last summer I told everyone on here that TP would be in trouble soon, and I was called a bad fan for even speaking of "rumors". Then when the tattoo stuff broke, I told everyone that this was the tip of the iceberg, and they surely didn't want anymore coming out. Then the Tressel emails are discovered and we got 5 game suspensions for everyone involved.

I've said it for nearly a year now, there is more to report, it just depends on how far they dig. Maybe someday people will listen.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

seofan_via_dublin wrote:

I've said it for nearly a year now, there is more to report, it just depends on how far they dig. Maybe someday people will listen.
Dub,
Just an eneducated guess but if the NCAA digs too far into Ohio State, they would have to do the same for other schools and what that could lead to is unimagineable. They might want to put a lid on this at some point to avoid the whole ball of wax from tumbling down on them. I've said they are not exactly lilly white.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

That's a good point, and probably what the NCAA would prefer to do.

The NCAA hasn't done any form of investigation since very early March.
The digging is being done by the local paper, and ESPN. Shoot yahoo hasn't even reported much of the more recent discoveries.

The NCAA has always claimed that they work in isolation, and they don't let ESPN and co effect what they do. If this is fully true, then they buckeyes will lose last year, and Tress for 5 games and not much more at all.

Return to “College Sports”