No new sanctions for OSU!

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Re: No new sanctions for OSU!

Post by Bleeding Red »

peake wrote:This Cam Newton thing you buckeye fans use to make yourselves feel better is comical.

Is it worse that a 20 year old kid took money and broke rules, or is it worse that an adult knowingly let 5 players play an entire season with the knowledge they broke NCAA rules, and then covering it up?

Is it worse a immature kid took money or that an adult knowingly broke rules?

You can be the judge
Whats worse:

Coach covers up players selling their own personal belongings for tatoos.....

Coach and school athletic officials cover up a college QB taking in nearly $200K to play at Auburn? Do you not think there were ADULTS associated in Cam Newton taking money?

If the Newton case gets cracked, it will far worse than OSU ever thought of being. In terms of things developing in the NCAA football world right now, no OSU's situation is not that bad....

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

peake wrote:This Cam Newton thing you buckeye fans use to make yourselves feel better is comical.

Is it worse that a 20 year old kid took money and broke rules, or is it worse that an adult knowingly let 5 players play an entire season with the knowledge they broke NCAA rules, and then covering it up?

Is it worse a immature kid took money or that an adult knowingly broke rules?

You can be the judge

Or are you disappointed that OSU didnt get the death penalty so UM has a better shot at finally beating OSU down the road?

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

Lets get one thing straight!!!

HIGH SCHOOL CLASSMATES OF THESE ATHLETES HAVE DIED IN SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY, THEY ARE THE SAME AGE, AND NIETHER ARE KIDS!!!

Both situations suck for the teams involved, but nobody involved is an "INMATURE KID"!

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Coach and school athletic officials cover up a college QB taking in nearly $200K to play at Auburn? Do you not think there were ADULTS associated in Cam Newton taking money?

If the Newton case gets cracked, it will far worse than OSU ever thought of being. In terms of things developing in the NCAA football world right now, no OSU's situation is not that bad....
This is exactly the type of reply I thought I would get from you. An adult making millions and who is trusted by the parents of these children to lead them in the right direction imo is far worse. When you write a book on morals and living by a certain ethical code then basically saying it doesn't apply to you by your actions then yeah that is bad. You can try and play it down by saying they just sold this or that, but regardless it was a violation. Did Tressel "just" know that he was breaking NCAA rules and that by allowing players who broke rules and should have been ineligible make things any better? How about lying to an entire fan base and University? This is all very bad.

Now it is all a matter of prospective and both cases are not good at all, but to try and sell yourself on one is "really bad" and the other is "just bad" honestly makes you look like the fan most people make fun.

For the record, no I don't want them hit the the death penalty, but they should be held accountable, just as Tressel preached.
HIGH SCHOOL CLASSMATES OF THESE ATHLETES HAVE DIED IN SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY, THEY ARE THE SAME AGE, AND NIETHER ARE KIDS!!!

Both situations suck for the teams involved, but nobody involved is an "INMATURE KID"!
Dubs I did not expect this from you. At 19-20, I was still an immature kid, and those kids who die at 18-19-20 are still for the most part kids. I appreciate all of our service men and womens sacrifice but telling me an 18 year old is not still a kid because he is in the military is not selling me on maturity level. To be honest I can't believe you went this route in order to make a point. I think it is really poor taste and a true example of how some fans will make excuses rather then be responsible.

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

You are definitely right peake, it is really really bad. I think what tOSU fans are trying to say is that they gained no competitive advantage by trading stuff for tats by getting cars. They DID gain a competitive advantage by playing players that were ineligible, JT knew it and covered it up as long as he could. Both situations are really bad and right now tOSU situation is way worse because the story has all been uncovered. Personally I think paying a player to gain a recruiting advantage is worse than trading personal items but that doesn't make proven facts go away with tOSU. In the end I think the NCAA will recognize that paying a player to guarantee recruitment is a bigger advantage but who knows?? You are exactly right though, tOSU situation is really bad and nothing that happens at Auburn, Oregon, LSU, or any other school make it any better. Just as there is no such thing as dumb and dumber there is no such thing as wrong and wronger, what JT did was both dumb and wrong just like any infractions at ANY other university.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

They are not kids, plain and simple.

They know that what they were doing was wrong, and they did it anyway.

They don't get a free pass, and neither does the coach. And you know I've not handed out any!

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

I dont think anyone is saying that the stuff happening at LSU, UNC, Auburn , Oregon, Bama, Miss St, Baylor, you get the point. Anyway, I don't think we are saying that OSU is any better than those other schools, or that their demise helps OSU.

I think that Buckeye fans would really like for the mainstream national media to spend as much time on those schools as they have OSU though!

The vast majority of CFB fans get their info from sources like ESPN college Gameday. The talking heads on that show and others like it have made a great living this offseason bashing OSU at every turn, and not reporting in a timely manner anything positive.

Now that UNC is firing Butch Davis, I sure hope "the worldwide leader" remembers that OSU losing a head coach "wasn't punishment", so it better not be punishment for UNC!!!

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

seofan_via_dublin wrote:I dont think anyone is saying that the stuff happening at LSU, UNC, Auburn , Oregon, Bama, Miss St, Baylor, you get the point. Anyway, I don't think we are saying that OSU is any better than those other schools, or that their demise helps OSU.

I think that Buckeye fans would really like for the mainstream national media to spend as much time on those schools as they have OSU though!

The vast majority of CFB fans get their info from sources like ESPN college Gameday. The talking heads on that show and others like it have made a great living this offseason bashing OSU at every turn, and not reporting in a timely manner anything positive.

Now that UNC is firing Butch Davis, I sure hope "the worldwide leader" remembers that OSU losing a head coach "wasn't punishment", so it better not be punishment for UNC!!!

Exactly.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

peake wrote:

This is exactly the type of reply I thought I would get from you. An adult making millions and who is trusted by the parents of these children to lead them in the right direction imo is far worse. When you write a book on morals and living by a certain ethical code then basically saying it doesn't apply to you by your actions then yeah that is bad. You can try and play it down by saying they just sold this or that, but regardless it was a violation. Did Tressel "just" know that he was breaking NCAA rules and that by allowing players who broke rules and should have been ineligible make things any better? How about lying to an entire fan base and University? This is all very bad.

Now it is all a matter of prospective and both cases are not good at all, but to try and sell yourself on one is "really bad" and the other is "just bad" honestly makes you look like the fan most people make fun.

For the record, no I don't want them hit the the death penalty, but they should be held accountable, just as Tressel preached.

Dubs I did not expect this from you. At 19-20, I was still an immature kid, and those kids who die at 18-19-20 are still for the most part kids. I appreciate all of our service men and womens sacrifice but telling me an 18 year old is not still a kid because he is in the military is not selling me on maturity level. To be honest I can't believe you went this route in order to make a point. I think it is really poor taste and a true example of how some fans will make excuses rather then be responsible.

Nobody said that OSU's situation wasnt bad. But it isnt NEARLY as bad as they (ESPN for the most part) made it seem. They shot alot of bullets that completely missed their target (ESPN).

And if you think a few players selling their stuff and a coach covering up for it is worse than.....what did you call it.....a coach making millions.....and school officials making hundreds of thousands paying Newton (a kid as you put it) hundreds of thousands to play, you may want to re-examine the situation.

I think you are bit tore up that OSU is (probably) not going to be crucified over what happened last year with one coach and 5....kids as you called them.

Wait till they crack the story on coaches and other adults at Auburn (who also spoke of character values btw) paying a kid that much money to play at Auburn.

And Chizik wrote "All in: What it takes to be the best". He also proclaims his faith, character, morals, etc. So its very moronic to try to put all this on JT and burn him at the stake and act like Auburn's situation isnt worse than OSU, because it certainly is.

educamatters
Waterboy

Post by educamatters »

The Newton situation is MUCH worse than the OSU situation.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

agreed

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

And that is what I was getting at. ESPN made OSU seem like moral criminals. Were they a little loose? Sure. Losing one of their legendary coaches is a pretty stiff punishment. The administration tried to ride out the storm with him because they knew what he brought to the table as a successful coach with great connections. But in the end, OSU is bigger than any individual. So, they are probably going to walk away with a wrist slap. Deal with it!!!!!!!

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Why is the Newton situation so bad? Anyone here have any FACTS on that yet? Allegedly he was paid, by a BOOSTER. He wasn't paid by a coach or school officials. You see here is where the problem lies. Buckeye fans have to do something right now to make themselves feel better about this situation, so the deflect and say how much worse this school or that school is. In the game of scuzziness I guess there is a rank of who is the scuzziest, and many of you can't seem to grasp that what occurred is real bad. What ESPN alleged doesn't make it not true because they are not getting the punishment most expected. I don't need to run through the laundry list of facts about what happened, and in the forum of scuzz you can be the judge of how better or worse you think your situation is from another scuzz program. Just sad to see people on here justify things to make themselves feel better.
And Chizik wrote "All in: What it takes to be the best". He also proclaims his faith, character, morals, etc. So its very moronic to try to put all this on JT and burn him at the stake and act like Auburn's situation isnt worse than OSU, because it certainly is.
Who is acting like ESPN now? You have no facts, nothing to build your case on. Did he pay Newton? No. Newton was paid---if paid---by a booster, not the coach. How is it moronic to put something on someone who just wrote a book on the exact same thing, when they clearly broke the rules and didn't play by his own rules? JT deserves what JT gets (is getting). He is being held accountable in the forum of public opinion.

If and when something comes out on Auburn or Chizik then I will respond, but nothing has been proven and certainly nothing has even been linked to any of the coaches or officials at Auburn. Someone is playing the witch hunt game praying that they are right so that they can feel a little less scuzz about their own situation.

Dubs I still disagree.

Wrist slap? I guess if you call being humiliated in front of the world, firing your legendary coach and basically stripping him of his saint title and being made to look like a hypocrite, meanwhile forfeiting your entire 2010 season is just and bowl win, and losing your best player and 4 others for 5 games just a wrist slap. The NCAA may not hit OSU with a scholly restriction, but the damage is done imo.

oldmo31
Varsity

Post by oldmo31 »

Peake, you must be having a slow day or you just got a job with e$pn.Same thing that happened to Buckeyes has been going on at Bama now.Hell,they even have photos.Suites and dinners instead of tats.Bet you won't hear a word out of the talking heads.Maybe you're just angry that the recruiting pipeline to OHIO is slowly being turned off.DRIP, DRIP ,drip,GONE.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Losing last season doesn't do anything, losing JT is a major punishment, losing TP, Posey, and Adams is major, but shouldn't matter in the games they'll miss.

Coaches have been selling OSU committed recruits on a loss of bowl games, and major scholarship hits. Some of those coaches have even lured "immature kids" away from their commitments. Well, when the NCAA doesn't go through with what rival coaches are using to steal from our coffers, and OSU doesn't suffer with on the field results, then we'll see just how long the boarder stays open!!!

GAHS83
JV Team

Post by GAHS83 »

dazed&confused wrote:I hate what I am about to say as I AM NOT a conspiracy theorist but I do believe ESPN was out to hang the Buckeyes, SI had to jump on the bandwagon to not be left behind and now they are all coughing up crow. OSU lily white? Nope! Neither is the SEC but ESPN has a vested financial interest in the SEC and the Longhorn Network. So they have to chop down the boogey man that is tOSU. They are taking a cheap shot at the Big Ten Network because it called their bluff. And OSU is the biggest entity within the Big Ten. And now the SEC is making noise towards compensating football athletes more than they now are. To throw the wolves off the scent? The ghost of Cam Newton is rattling his chains.
OSU isn't lily white clean and they probably never have been. OSU deserves any punishment they get from the NCAA. However, this comes closer to the mark than many outside the OSU fanbase would like to admit.

In addition to ESPN having a vested interest in tearing the BTN down, I think the media tends to keep score and have it's favorites. Tressel was also so closed with the media. He gave bland comments, horrible sound bytes and just generally a smug, condescending "yeah, I have to talk to you, but I'm not giving you anything" attitude. Because of that, I think the media, including the Columbus Dispatch. finally saw their chance to "get" him and they all turned on him like a pack of wolves. Not to compare him to Tressel, but to some degree, I think the same thing happened with Tiger Woods. It was just the media's way of saying, you can mess with me all you want, but someday, we'll get even.

Tressel was definitely in the wrong. OSU deserves whatever sanctions the NCAA hands down. However, I think that Tressel should have had enough good will built up, not from the wins he produced or the national championship, but from all the good he did for the atheletes and the university, that he didn't lose his job.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

The tattoo stuff is over!

This crap fest is Tressel and nothing else.
As for that, OSU goes to the infractions committee on Friday, August 12th.
We present our case, answer questions, and then wait.

Sometime between August 13, and 8-12 weeks after that, we will finally get our punishment.

Just_A_Fan
Varsity

Post by Just_A_Fan »

I dont know if someone said this earlyer or not, but what happens to all the money OSU got from going to the bowl game last and all the money the made fomr season ticket sales and so on? My thought would be should they give some/all that money to a charity? JMO Cause saying the season didn't happen is one thing, saying we ain't going to count the wins or loses on our record. Anyone else see where I'm coming from?

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

"All the money from the bowl" was split evenly amoungst the rest of the conference.

I'll tell you what, the other 10 schools send back their million they got off the backs of the buckeyes, and we'll repay what we earn from beating Arkansas!!!

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

Ticket sales?? Had they kicked everyone off the team and suited up non scholly players, the stands would have been filled so ticket sales seems a moot point to me. tOSU is not an NFL franchise that only gets fans if they are winning. The season would not have been cancelled regardless. The bowl monies may get repaid, who knows, but like dubs said, as a UM fan or any other Big10 fan for that matter you surely wouldn't want that to happen.

Return to “College Sports”