Ohio at Penn State

3morethan2
Varsity

Ohio at Penn State

Post by 3morethan2 »

Less than one week away until Ohio travels to Penn State, I'm going to take OU 26-20, even before the transfers left PSU I though they were going to go in and win.
i think this will be a special year for the Bobcats
GO BOBCATS!

What's everyone's thoughts?

C-Bolt
SEOP

Re: Ohio at Penn State

Post by C-Bolt »

Surprise Surprise heard where PSU might have the top ranked QB coming their way,nobody expected that .But it won't matter this year I think OU has an excellent chance to go in there and get a win.Go Cats!

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

I think Ohio can pull off what would still be considered an upset. The key will be for them to strike early and not give Ped State a chance to come out and "make their statement".

pbuck
All State

Post by pbuck »

I'm leaning toward OU to win a close one

VegasEagle
Varsity

Post by VegasEagle »

OU by 7 in a shocker in Happy Valley....

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

GO BOBCATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has OU ever defeated a Big Ten school in football????

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

Careful!!!! The atmosphere will be charged in Happy Valley. PSU by 20. And I'm rooting for the Bobcats.

3morethan2
Varsity

Post by 3morethan2 »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:GO BOBCATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has OU ever defeated a Big Ten school in football????

Illinois in '06 20-17 on a last second field goal in Champagne

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

I'm going with the Cats by a FG!

The Penn State players have a HUGE chip on there shoulders so Ohio has to be careful....

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Great preview of the OU Bobcats perspective of this game from the AP.........

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/co ... story.html
Column: Ohio U’s Bobcats are first ‘opponent’ at Penn State as the post-Paterno era begins

By Associated Press, Updated: Wednesday, August 29, 4:09 AM

It’s a guaranteed payday, sure, but there’s rarely much glory in being the opponent. The way it usually works, a small school opens the college season against a much-bigger one at their place, with little more than a puncher’s chance of winning. By the luck of the draw, the first team to venture into the Nittany Lions’ den in the post-Paterno era turns out to be Ohio U.

“We’ve been at it a little more than three weeks now and we’ve prepared well in practice,” Bobcats coach Frank Solich began Tuesday. “This week we’ve addressed how, if we’re going to be as good as we think we are, we’ve got to be great on the road. We’ve talked about the travel, the hotel, all the other distractions, we’ve even cranked up the sound at practice the last couple of days to give the players a sense of what it’s like to play in front of 108,000 people.

“But I’ve been in that stadium before,” he added a moment later. “And the noise we’re simulating is not close to what we’re going to get.”

Solich has plenty of big-game experience, but he knows replicating the emotional pitch at Penn State is tougher still. Before taking over at Ohio seven years ago, his first head-coaching job came in 1997 at Nebraska. There, Solich had to follow the equally legendary Tom Osborne after 19 seasons as one of Osborne’s assistants. He was eager to get started then, the way his Penn State counterpart, Bill O’Brien, will be Saturday afternoon. But Solich knows plenty of things about this debut will be different, too.

The child sex-abuse scandal centered around former Penn State defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky cost Joe Paterno his job, his legacy, and may have even hastened his death from cancer last January. The NCAA sanctions levied in July left many in Happy Valley seething.

“After what happened, they’ll have that circle-the-wagons mentality. They’ve been through a lot,” Solich said. “They lost nine or 10 players through transfers, but those that stayed will be united in what they want to be about this season. In the end, they’ll be ready to do what they’ve done for many years at Penn State, which is play excellent football. They’ll want to set the tone early. We’ll have our hands full right from the start.”

But little guys sometimes harbor big plans, too. Solich has been preparing for this kind of game almost from the moment he arrived at Ohio U.

In recent years, his teams have taken games against Pitt, Illinois, Tennessee, Rutgers and Ohio State — twice — to diminish the fear factor implicit in facing big-time programs on the road. Plus, these Bobcats are coming off a 10-4 season after winning six of their last seven, a MAC East Division title, and their first-ever bowl game — with even bigger things expected this time around. Solich’s staff at Ohio has remained largely intact throughout his tenure, and in quarterback Tyler Tettleton, he’s got a fourth-year quarterback who knows the system intimately, handles pressure well and just completed the most productive season of any passer in school history.

“We like our chances,” said Tettleton, who comes by his confidence easily. He’s the son of two-time former All-Star catcher Mickey Tettleton of the Texas Rangers. “Anytime you’re going up against a team that’s in the BCS, the Big Ten and it’s the first game of year, there’s obviously going to be a lot of emotion — especially after what happened there.
... Being a college football fan, I followed it. It was a tough situation. The victims will be in our thoughts and prayers, but at some point it’s going to be a football game like lots of other games.

“And being honest, I’ll admit we’re excited to play in front of that big a crowd, with that many more people watching, because we’ll know pretty quick whether the goals we set — a Top 25 ranking, getting back to the MAC Championship and another bowl game — are realistic.”

Solich believes that if that question is answered early in the game, it won’t be response the Bobcats are hoping for. He expects the Nittany Lions to “surge” at the start of the game — “It’s bound to be physical, we’re going to have to match that intensity with some of our own right away — and given the emotions roiling the crowd, more than once or twice afterward.

“At some point, maybe when the game is close and they’re building momentum, all that nervous energy in the crowd is going to give them a lift,” Solich continued. “And we’ve told our players, ‘Nobody in the stands is going to come down and contribute. It’s going to come down to the guys on the field, so don’t forget those are the only people you’re playing.

“We’ve proven we’re a pretty good football team, and we’ve played that way in tough situations against some storied programs in the past. And as long as we don’t forget that,” he said finally, “we should be all right."

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

WE GOT THIS!!!!!!!

Happy Valley will be crying again after Saturday!

GO CATS!!!!

WhiteWhiskers
JV Team

Post by WhiteWhiskers »

Ohio U will have to overcome to much emotion and a very very large home crowd willing PSU to victory

PSU by 17

I'll be rooting for the BOB Cats BS Ed '65 Yes I'm an OLD fart

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

GAME DAY BABY!!!!!

LETS GO CATS!!!!

ZacBrownBand
Varsity

Post by ZacBrownBand »

I haven't been watching the game closely, but from what I can tell it's been a dandy of a game thus far. A close, low scoring match-up isn't what some people like, but it's my kinda game.

Rooting for the Bobcats in this one seeing as how my brother goes there

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Bobcats got it done, congratulations. OU scored 21 unanswered points to win the game. The loss of players due to injury throughout the game really hurt PSU. Things are not going to be happy in Happy Valley for a long time.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

dazed&confused wrote:Careful!!!! The atmosphere will be charged in Happy Valley. PSU by 20. And I'm rooting for the Bobcats.
I don't mind eating crow this time but the feathers sure do go down hard. Congrats Bobcats! Now, is OU that good or is Penn St. in for a really rough road?

cool cucumber
All Conference

Post by cool cucumber »

dazed&confused wrote:
dazed&confused wrote:Careful!!!! The atmosphere will be charged in Happy Valley. PSU by 20. And I'm rooting for the Bobcats.
I don't mind eating crow this time but the feathers sure do go down hard. Congrats Bobcats! Now, is OU that good or is Penn St. in for a really rough road?
I think it's a bit of both.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

GO BOBCATS!!!!!!!! BIGGEST WIN IN SCHOOL HISTORY!!!!! THIS COULD BE A MAGICAL SEASON FOR OU!

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

Nice!

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Heck yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “College Sports”