Notre Dame Predictions 2013

therepublican
Varsity

Notre Dame Predictions 2013

Post by therepublican »

Well, I must say...this past weekend in Ohio was some of the best weather this year and got me thinking. Windy with a high of 72 in my area....I could smell the pigskin in the air and the brats on the grill!
My first sentence was irrelevant, but ole well...I said it!

How about those Irish? Coming off a bone crushing defeat to the NFL farm league team, the Alabama Crimson Tide. Multiple transfers through the summer (Devonte Neal-punt/kick returner and WR, QB recruit Gunner Kiel leaves for Cincy, and most notably starting QB Everett Golson thinks he can cheat on a test at ND and not get caught, and he is gone). So, Irish have 'Tommy Turnover' (Tommy Rees) as starting QB with stud ATH backup QB Freshman Mailik Zaire and never going to do anything Andrew Hendrix watching, what are everyone's thoughts? Quick plummet from the top 10 to out of the top 25 or they hang around all season and overcome some of the setbacks of the summer?

My predictions: (Temple-(W), Michigan (L), Purdue-(W), MIchigan St-(W), Oklahoma-(L), Arizona State-(L), Southern Cal @ home-(W), Air Force-(W), but closer than you think as it always is), Navy-(W), Pitt-(W), BYU-(W), Stanford-(L)
I think the Irish go 8-4 with this pretty tough schedule and a bad QB in Rees and there is a lot of tension from fans to toss in Malik Zaire after ND get tossed around like a salad at Michigan. Just my opinion here...but trying to set a realistic tone for my own Knute Rockne mind. I honestly don't think the whole National Title game meant a whole lot in regards to future predictions, however Oregon or OSU would've at least showed up to play.

A31 TEMPLE 3:30pm NBC
S07 @ Michigan 8pm ABC
S14 @ Purdue 8pm ABC/ESPN
S21 MICHIGAN STATE 3:30pm NBC
S28 OKLAHOMA 3:30pm NBC
O05 ARIZONA STATE (Dallas) 7:30pm NBC
O19 SOUTHERN CAL 7:30pm NBC
O26 @ Air Force 5pm CBSSN
N02 NAVY 3:30pm NBC
N09 @ Pittsburgh TBD ABC/ESPN
N23 BYU 3:30pm NBC
N30 @ Stanford TBD Fox

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Re: Notre Dame Predictions 2013

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

I think 8-4 or 9-3 is what ND hit this year.
Wouldn't surprise me to the outcomes with the Michigan schools flipped from what you list.
I think MSU has the better defense, and I don't buy the full hype of Gardner against a talented D.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

I think they will have another solid year, Rees is better than people give him credit for, he has turnovers but he also makes a lot of clutch plays and is experienced,he bailed them out against Purdue and Michigan University last year and saved their undefeated reg. season.I don't like him, but Kelly seems to have them going in the right direction.I wouldn't be surprised to see a 10-2 or 9-3 season

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

A31 TEMPLE 3:30pm NBC-Win
S07 @ Michigan 8pm ABC-Loss
S14 @ Purdue 8pm ABC/ESPN-Win
S21 MICHIGAN STATE 3:30pm NBC-Loss
S28 OKLAHOMA 3:30pm NBC-Loss
O05 ARIZONA STATE (Dallas) 7:30pm NBC-Loss
O19 SOUTHERN CAL 7:30pm NBC-Loss
O26 @ Air Force 5pm CBSSN-Win
N02 NAVY 3:30pm NBC-Win
N09 @ Pittsburgh TBD ABC/ESPN-Win
N23 BYU 3:30pm NBC-Win
N30 @ Stanford TBD Fox-Loss

6-6

blackshooky
All Conference

Post by blackshooky »

overrated - as usual

The Flying Dutchman
Varsity

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Last year they were not rated and went 12-0 during the reg season so smart post

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Temple W
Michigan L
Purdue W
MICHIGAN STATE W
OKLAHOMA L
ARIZONA STATE L
SOUTHERN CAL L
Air Force W
NAVY W
Pittsburgh W
BYU W
Stanford L
7-5

The Flying Dutchman
Varsity

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

The key as always are the two early games against the Mich schools. Win both and your on your way to a great season, in the years that has happened the Irish have had a lot to smile about. The Defense will need to carry this team again this year and they are very capable of that.

therepublican
Varsity

Post by therepublican »

I honestly don't see how the Irish could be 10-2 C=Bolt...just don't see it. 9-3, MAYBE..by a long shot. Possibly they beat Arizona St., but I see them getting embarrassed by Arizona St in Cowboy stadium on primetime television.

DUB- You may be right about the flop of wins in Michigan...but I honestly think Michigan handles ND and possibly even MSU giving ND a 7-5 season.

I would like to think we are better than 7-5/8-4, but I just see it, not with Tommy Rees on the field. In this game nowadays you have to have an ATH at QB and that is in 6'2" Malik Zaire and can stretch the offense with his legs just like Golson did, Braxton Miller does, etc. Tommy Rees honestly belongs at a MAC school. I'm telling you, he will mess up against Temple, the people will want Zaire...long season--Just like when Dayne Crist fell apart against South Florida at ND, Tommy comes in...and flopped.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Alabama seems to do pretty well without "athletic" QB's,Brandon Weeden almost had OK ST. in national championship couple years ago and USC has flourished without them not so long ago,but if that's what floats your boat.As good as Braxton Miller has turned out to be he didn't light it up his freshman year by any means so you might need Rees more than you think if Zaire has trouble figuring out the passing game like Braxton did,I know he's unpredictable but I'd rather take my chances on Rees right now if you want a chance to have a good year or just scrap it and build for the future.

therepublican
Varsity

Post by therepublican »

I know I may be incredibly hard on Rees but I'm telling you the kid is nothing more than a decent back-up, but that is where he belongs. I'd rather Zaire be on the field extending the plays and keep the D guessing with his feet. Once Michigan, MSU, Arizona St. Oklahoma, and USC pick-up Rees' inability to move beyond the pocket within 2 minutes of a game and watching film, he's going to be limited to what he can do beyond handing the ball off and throwing, and those teams will eat him up. I'll take Zaire's 2 interceptions a game, Freshman, stupidity, and headcase instances, but his legs and athleticism will keep ND in those big games. Once Golson comes back...Zaire and Golson will fight it out. I'd love to prepare this year with Zaire and see the QB depth of next year with Golson and Zaire angling for the staring spot.

FYI...there is no chance for a good year this year...I don't see how anyone can think they will pull 10 games wtih or without Rees fighting that schedule.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Looks like your choosing the scrap the season route,I have to wonder how Zaire will stack up his true freshman year against big time collegiate competition after playing mostly small and mid size high schools his whole high school career.Not saying he won't be successful but that is a gigantic step in speed and size from what he's used to,and I been hearing he's been struggling so far in camp, but so did Braxton his true freshman year and he played mostly big schools.I read Kelley really wanted to redshirt him this year and save a year,but had to throw him in there when the other QB'S left .Good Luck to the Irish and I will be following them this year more than ever to see how all this shakes out.This will be an interesting year in South Bend, Beat Michigan University!

hoot
Varsity

Post by hoot »

8-4 wouldnt be too bad with the number of starters they lost and their schedule this season.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

therepublican wrote: Tommy Rees honestly belongs at a MAC school. I'm telling you, he will mess up against Temple, the people will want Zaire...long season
Not bad for a guy who was suppose to "mess" up,now comes the real test,will it be senior touchdown Tommy or sophomore turnover Tommy? Stay tuned

OrginialYouKnow
JV Team

Post by OrginialYouKnow »

9-3

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Irish go toe to toe with arguably the toughest team on their schedule in a tough enviroment, sophomore Tommy showed up a couple times, but overall played pretty good against a tough defense.If the defense hadn't gave up so many big plays and mistakes they would have won,I think they beat the other Mich. school and are on track for a pretty decent year if the defense can be more consistent IMO.

GoBuckeyes2786
Varsity

Post by GoBuckeyes2786 »

I agree. Reese looked pretty good at times. Made some really nice throws and put the ball on the money. The INT at the end of the game was just some bad misfortune to deflect like it did

Return to “College Sports”