Georgia 42 Ohio State 41 CFP Semi Finals

Omega
SEOPS H

Georgia 42 Ohio State 41 CFP Semi Finals

Post by Omega »

Well it will be #4 TOSU (11-1) vs. #1 Georgia (13-0) in the Peach Bowl in Atlanta on New Years Eve.

#3 TCU (12-1) will take on #2 Michigan (13-0) in the Fiesta Bowl.

This gives the Buckeyes a chance at redemption and a final chance for CJ Stroud to create a positive legacy.

Georgia opens as a 6.5 point favorite over the Bucks, but expect the betting to push the spread towards the 13 point range.

Michigan opens at 9.5 point favorites against the Frogs.

What are your early thoughts?
Last edited by Omega on Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Geronimo
SEOP

Re: Ohio State Selected As 4th Seed In College Football Plsyoffs

Post by Geronimo »

Fine a defense Ohio State ???

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Geronimo wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:36 pm Fine a defense Ohio State ???
And find a consistent offense. The beauty of OSU's selection is that they have almost no external expectations of winning. Hopefully Day, Knowles, and Stroud can find some spark to fool the experts.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Wish the buckeyes the best but Georgia has a very good team !!!

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

I agree, omega! I like their chances a lot better being the underdog for a change. Too many times I see the heavy favorites getting knocked off. That said they will have to play a near-perfect game to win.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

cbolt wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:06 pm I agree, omega! I like their chances a lot better being the underdog for a change. Too many times I see the heavy favorites getting knocked off. That said they will have to play a near-perfect game to win.
I got to attend the Georgia @ South Carolina game back in September. UGA is as advertised despite the Dawgs sleep walking through a few games. Ohio State will move the ball as did LSU (500 yds passing yesterday). I think the question will become can State's defense keep Georgia to no more than 35 points. Stetson Bennett can flat out will his team to victory with his arm, legs, and leadership.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Re: #4 Ohio St (11-1) vs. #1 Georgia (13-0) CFP Semi Finals

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

My thoughts are why do these idiots in charge insist on playing these games on New Years Eve?

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:33 pm My thoughts are why do these idiots in charge insist on playing these games on New Years Eve?
I agree with you. Playing the games on New Year's Day would make too much sense for us more mature fellows. I guess ESPN has data to back up dates and time slots to maximize ratings and cash flow. Also the non playoff NY6 bowls might have media rights agreements to play on the first.

Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

Omega wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:46 pm
Burg_Grad_77 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:33 pm My thoughts are why do these idiots in charge insist on playing these games on New Years Eve?
I agree with you. Playing the games on New Year's Day would make too much sense for us more mature fellows. I guess ESPN has data to back up dates and time slots to maximize ratings and cash flow. Also the non playoff NY6 bowls might have media rights agreements to play on the first.
Well you would interfere with NFL if you played them on New Years Day because it falls on a Sunday. They don't want to interfere with the ratings.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Valenth wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:01 pm
Omega wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:46 pm
Well you would interfere with NFL if you played them on New Years Day because it falls on a Sunday. They don't want to interfere with the ratings.
Had not thought of that. I forgot the calender days rotate.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

I never thought of that either. The Rose Bowl being played on January 2 will be weird. Seems like it might have happened a few years ago also.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Georgia was trailing Georgia Tech, who was awful, and was in a close game with UK, who is now back to being a basketball school lol.

Georgia is solid but they do play into the strengths of tOSU. They primarily run the ball and their passing game is not prolific but it is decent. On top of that, Georgia's secondary gets torched worse than tOSU, which favors the Bucks passing game.

This should be a pissed off group of Buckeyes that hit the field. Stroud may have another chance to finally beat ttun.

So there is a lot of things that play into OSU's favor. I think I would take the Bucks getting 6.5. Hell I'd take the Bucks even up....

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

Buckeyes On defense will have to TACKLE better, Cover the TE's (They are studs), DB's need to ballhawk , and DL / LB 's need to Hit Bennett early and often. Also they cannot have any stupid undisciplined penalties.
Offensively they need to be creative and run the football. Use a two back (Williams and Henderson together) system and be able to hit a couple of explosive plays with the Wide Receiver. Stroud must do whatever it takes, if this means run for 10-15 yds then he has to do it.

There are a ton of IF's on here but they have to do these things in order to slay the Dragon!

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

baseball16 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:25 am Buckeyes On defense will have to TACKLE better, Cover the TE's (They are studs), DB's need to ballhawk , and DL / LB 's need to Hit Bennett early and often. Also they cannot have any stupid undisciplined penalties.
Offensively they need to be creative and run the football. Use a two back (Williams and Henderson together) system and be able to hit a couple of explosive plays with the Wide Receiver. Stroud must do whatever it takes, if this means run for 10-15 yds then he has to do it.

There are a ton of IF's on here but they have to do these things in order to slay the Dragon!
Well I do not think Buckeye fans should count on TreVeyon Henderson playing. I have read he is dealing with broken foot which is not likely to be healed in four weeks. Williams should be available. Also do not count on Jaxon Smith-Njigba. Speculation is his injury is more than a hamstring.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

baseball16 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:25 am Buckeyes On defense will have to TACKLE better, Cover the TE's (They are studs), DB's need to ballhawk , and DL / LB 's need to Hit Bennett early and often. Also they cannot have any stupid undisciplined penalties.

I agree. And Stroud has to shed the diaper and run the darn ball when the opportunity presents itself. Its hard to have a zone read offense be successful when the QB run is not a threat...

Stroud is either going to run the ball and pick up first downs when he needs to do so and change a lot of opinions about him, or he wont and will go down in OSU history as a sissy.

Justin Fields was a beast when it came down to running for 5-10 yards when it was there. And Stroud is just as big and fast as JF.

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

Bleeding Red wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:21 am

I agree. And Stroud has to shed the diaper and run the darn ball when the opportunity presents itself. Its hard to have a zone read offense be successful when the QB run is not a threat...

Stroud is either going to run the ball and pick up first downs when he needs to do so and change a lot of opinions about him, or he wont and will go down in OSU history as a sissy.

Justin Fields was a beast when it came down to running for 5-10 yards when it was there. And Stroud is just as big and fast as JF.
I have said it for the past two years to my buddies that Stroud just doesn't have the IT factor to Win Championships. I surely hope he proves me wrong, but he cannot do the same thing over and over again and think he's going to be successful against Ga. No way! Run the ball when it presents itself. Just to move the chains or stay ahead of the chains on downs. Can you imagine an Ohio State with a guy like Duggan, TCU Qb? That guy doesn't care about Heisman, draft stock , or how pretty his spiral is. All he cares about it winning that play !
JSN needs to come out very soon and say something. Henderson will play if he can!

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

@baseball16

Your wish about a JSN decision came true:

OSU announced Jaxon Smith-Njigba will not play in the CFP and has announced for the 2023 NFL draft.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-sta ... -nfl-draft

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

And to add to Ohio State's curious 2022 season:

TULSA REPORTEDLY NEARING DEAL TO HIRE OHIO STATE OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR KEVIN WILSON AS HEAD COACH

From Eleven Warriors:

After six seasons with the Buckeyes, Ohio State offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson is reportedly in negotiations with Tulsa to become the school's head coach. According to multiple reports, Tulsa has offered its head coaching job to Wilson and a deal could be completed by the end of the day Monday, though an agreement has not been finalized yet.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-sta ... head-coach

I find that a bit surprising given Wilson's player abuse baggage when he was head coach at Indiana.

It might also indicate some striffe between Wilson and Day over offensive play calling for the Buckeyes. Then again it may be as simple as Wilson wanting a payday to set himself up for retirement.
Last edited by Omega on Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Omega wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:39 pm @baseball16

OSU announced Jaxon Smith-Njigba will not play in the CFP and has announced for the 2023 NFL draft.

So S.O.F.T. !!!!!

No respect for JSN. Hes all about him and less about the TEAM.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Bleeding Red wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:56 pm
Omega wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:39 pm @baseball16

So S.O.F.T. !!!!!

No respect for JSN. Hes all about him and less about the TEAM.
That is my old school gut reaction too, but there are rumours that JSN's injury is more severe than just a hamstring. We just do not know for certain given OSU issues no medical updates.

I just think this is more of an example of the how money is starting to change the culture of college football. Can you blame players for opting out with NFL millions on the line? That and who knows how NIL and one time player free agency will change the nature of college football in the future.

Return to “College Sports”