TP the next TEBOW?

Peake
SEOP

Re: TP the next TEBOW?

Post by Peake »

I think all of the points are great and valid, I am just saying anyone who is saying TP will be better than Tebow as a Soph at this point is crazy.

I make these points first---TP is still very very very raw. Tebow at this same point was a much more polished thrower. He was more physically ready, and there was less pressure on him than there is on TP.

I go back to the All-American Game. If you watch TP a lot of his great throws were just toss ups that sailed and he had big Wideouts like the Baldwin who could just out jump the DB.

Race between Tebow and Dixon----If it's a 40 I take Tebow he is a much more powerful runner, great explosion. Mike Vick was a powerful runner, VY was a strider. Ted Ginn has world class speed, just a freak.

Tebow according to his stats has had TD runs of 47, 39, and 37. I do agree he has a more punishing style than say Dixon or TP, but his speed and athleticism are still scary.

I know the UF running game wa sub par at best, but he still ran for 22 rushing td's, that is unreal. Not to mention he is a polished passer right now. 66.7% completion percentage is big time.

Will his numbers go down, I expect them to, but way down, if you call 10-15 td's way down.

I also am very skeptical about TP and him throwing the football. That is why I do not think he will have a better sophomore year when it is all said and done. I feel like being a QB the main thing is still throwing not running; will TP be a better passer than Tebow, you be the judge.

UM agianst UF. Game plan IMHO was to keep Ezeh in the middle of the field (spy), let Harvin get his (and he did), and put lots of pressure up the middle where UF was very weak.

I think agianst Oregon they under estimated Dixon. Let's not forget Dixon lost his job at one point the season before and was playing baseball in the summer and the Oregon staff was very upset.

The difference between Dixon and Tebow is that Dixon had Johnathan Stewart. Much more difficult to contain those two than it is to focus on Tebow.

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

Good points, good post.

Only time will tell, that is for sure.

Just to add on the all-star game thing about floating balls, the other times I have seen TP play he threw lots of floaters b/c the secondary was coming up to contain the run when her left the pocket, had to b/c hs linebackers couldn't cath him for the most part and in the open field with his size he was a handful to stop or catch. Get him at the line or give up big yardage. Looked like most teams' philosophy was to make him throw to beat them, same will happen in college until he burns them and then things will neutralize greatly. I too am critical but his hype allows us to nit-pick his game. IMHO he could fall short of the hype and still have a tremendous career.

As for the 40?? I wouldn't bet it at all. I would bet that as s soph 66.7% may not be realistic, big difference in those offenses. UF has a very QB friendly offense and OSU throws too many deep iso plays to have great numbers unless they water it down with those WR screens that TS completed sooooo many of to boost his % much like the UF offense.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

The two aren't even in the same kinds of players, plus Tressel isn't as stupid as Meyer and he won't risk his best player's health by running him right up the gut everytime he's in a jam.
Mark my words: if Meyer runs Tebow like he did last year, he'll be beaten up all year and Florida will lose games because of it (refer to Florida v. Georgia a year ago).
Also, Tebow will not win the Heisman this year.

fightingtigers45
S

Post by fightingtigers45 »

fuzzhead wrote:The two aren't even in the same kinds of players, plus Tressel isn't as stupid as Meyer and he won't risk his best player's health by running him right up the gut everytime he's in a jam.
Mark my words: if Meyer runs Tebow like he did last year, he'll be beaten up all year and Florida will lose games because of it (refer to Florida v. Georgia a year ago).

I see that of the 13 games Tebow played last year, he was a little injured in only ONE game. Meyer? Stupid? Did you watch the 2006 National Championship game? Tressel was the genius who let Florida spread out everything and just kept zoning until Chris Leak (a QB who couldnt handle pressure whatsoever) picked them apart. Look at the last two years, running Tebow up the middle got them a National Championship and won him a Heisman. Not a bad first two seasons to be playing under a stupid coach and being beat up due to his playing style.

Also, Florida scored 30 points in the Georgia game. The defense should have been able to hold Georgia well under what they scored (42) and Florida would have won the game. Tebow accounted for 3 TD's. Tebow wasnt on the field stop Knowshon Moreno from running for 188 on 33 carries (5.7 ypc) and 3 TD's.

Also, Pryor wouldnt be able to come CLOSE to handling the beating Tebow's body allows him to take.

oak hill71
All State

Post by oak hill71 »

fightingtigers45 wrote:
fuzzhead wrote:The two aren't even in the same kinds of players, plus Tressel isn't as stupid as Meyer and he won't risk his best player's health by running him right up the gut everytime he's in a jam.

I see that of the 13 games Tebow played last year, he was a little injured in only ONE game. Meyer? Stupid? Did you watch the 2006 National Championship game? Tressel was the genius who let Florida spread out everything and just kept zoning until Chris Leak (a QB who couldnt handle pressure whatsoever) picked them apart. Look at the last two years, running Tebow up the middle got them a National Championship and won him a Heisman. Not a bad first two seasons to be playing under a stupid coach and being beat up due to his playing style.

Also, Florida scored 30 points in the Georgia game. The defense should have been able to hold Georgia well under what they scored (42) and Florida would have won the game. Tebow accounted for 3 TD's. Tebow wasnt on the field stop Knowshon Moreno from running for 188 on 33 carries (5.7 ypc) and 3 TD's.

Also, Pryor wouldnt be able to come CLOSE to handling the beating Tebow's body allows him to take.

Geez, it sounds like you have a crush on the man. :lol: :lol: :lol:

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

fightingtigers45 wrote:I see that of the 13 games Tebow played last year, he was a little injured in only ONE game. Meyer? Stupid? Did you watch the 2006 National Championship game? Tressel was the genius who let Florida spread out everything and just kept zoning until Chris Leak (a QB who couldnt handle pressure whatsoever) picked them apart. Look at the last two years, running Tebow up the middle got them a National Championship and won him a Heisman. Not a bad first two seasons to be playing under a stupid coach and being beat up due to his playing style.

Florida lost the Geogia game because Tebow couldn't run like he normally could. Harvin had a whale of a game from the backfield and that helped them significantly as well. I know Tebow scored at least one of those TDs from less than 3 yards out so IMO that's nothing more than a paper stat-padder. Meyer helped to cost them that game too by giving the ball to moore and allowing him to give away turnovers. Coaches like Meyer and Miles who have a lot of talent tend to get too cute sometimes. It should have cost Miles a National Championship last year (refer to the Auburn game) and it cost Meyer against Georgia. Last year was Tebow's first year as a starter and his coach's unorthodox (call it guttsy or stupid) play-calling probably caught people by surprise. We'll see what happens this year now that everyone has had a year to prepare....

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

Michigan had a month to prepare and shut him down. Or at least punished him into making bad decisions and eventually losing the game. Regardless, Tebow wasn't able to rack up the numbers against that UM defense which for their standards, was just a little better than average. Difference, size and strength. All that FLa speed couldn't handle getting popped in the mouth. Seems to me that a certain "o' line from OSU just got done man-handling that front 7 from UM. Florida had no answer to the 4 and 5 man rush of UM and Tebow got knocked around. I see teams making their game plan against Tebow this year to come at him and knock him down when they can, he isn't quick enough to escape around the corner consistantly and with a 4-5 man rush and a spying LB he can be stopped if the teams have enough strength to over power that UF line. If they don't have that kind of power then they need to recruit better or hit the weightroom. Now if UF can muster at least a mediocre Rb to go along with Tebow that changes things but last year their backs were horrible at best.

As far as the Meyer and "stupid" thing. Well as an OSU fan, I sure wish JT was as stupid as Meyer, especially when it comes to creating a gameplan for the NC game. I can't say much for the defensive side of the ball other than our man is at MSU now and we haven't been the same since he left, Yeah i know in the regular season we do well for the most part numbers wise but in big games against good teams we struggle and haven't applied pressure to a QB consistantly since he left us to go to Cinci.

fightingtigers45
S

Post by fightingtigers45 »

JChipwood wrote:Michigan had a month to prepare and shut him down. Or at least punished him into making bad decisions and eventually losing the game. Regardless, Tebow wasn't able to rack up the numbers against that UM defense which for their standards, was just a little better than average. Difference, size and strength. All that FLa speed couldn't handle getting popped in the mouth. Seems to me that a certain "o' line from OSU just got done man-handling that front 7 from UM. Florida had no answer to the 4 and 5 man rush of UM and Tebow got knocked around. I see teams making their game plan against Tebow this year to come at him and knock him down when they can, he isn't quick enough to escape around the corner consistantly and with a 4-5 man rush and a spying LB he can be stopped if the teams have enough strength to over power that UF line. If they don't have that kind of power then they need to recruit better or hit the weightroom. Now if UF can muster at least a mediocre Rb to go along with Tebow that changes things but last year their backs were horrible at best.

As far as the Meyer and "stupid" thing. Well as an OSU fan, I sure wish JT was as stupid as Meyer, especially when it comes to creating a gameplan for the NC game. I can't say much for the defensive side of the ball other than our man is at MSU now and we haven't been the same since he left, Yeah i know in the regular season we do well for the most part numbers wise but in big games against good teams we struggle and haven't applied pressure to a QB consistantly since he left us to go to Cinci.

By the time Florida got to Michigan, their O-line was done. They were young and hit with injuries all year and Im surprised they survived some of the games that they did. Michigan's d-line handled Florida's o-line. However, Florida's line looks like it should be pretty decent this season.

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

If they improve line play they could really be a force. Tebow is undoubtedly a player and they always have skilled guys to accompany whoever is at QB. They will also have an advantage when it comes to gameplanning on the offensive side of the ball at least compared to most teams. 4 or 5 teams seem to have the advantage early in this season and that should make for an interesting year to say the least. No clear cut favorite.

huedawg
JV Team

Post by huedawg »

TP had a great start today . He was nervous , thats for sure , however he is the real deal .

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Are you serious? How can you tell anything about him when he played against the second team YSU defense?
He struggled making decisions in the first half against a 1-aa defense. He threw it ok, but it was all throws within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. When mop up dutty came, than he got his yards. He played ok, but nothing that made me go, oh he is the is going to be something.

Let's see in two weeks what he does than we'll talk about him being in the same breath as Tebow.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

You know...I am optimistic about him. He looked better running against YSU than anyone else on OSU's team outside of Beanie Wells. Those other guys have done ok in the Big Ten.

When they came back for the second half, the sideline reporter said that Jim Tressel seemed giddy about Pryor. I will trust Tressel. Plus, his TD run was an audible he made at the line of scrimmage.

Michigan beats Utah today with Pryor. I'll take him as the 3rd team QB, who plays sparingly in a role this season.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Are you serious? How can you tell anything about him when he played against the second team YSU defense?
He struggled making decisions in the first half against a 1-aa defense. He threw it ok, but it was all throws within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. When mop up dutty came, than he got his yards. He played ok, but nothing that made me go, oh he is the is going to be something.

Let's see in two weeks what he does than we'll talk about him being in the same breath as Tebow.

Doesnt suprise me that you werent impressed. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Amen Corner
Varsity

Post by Amen Corner »

I saw Pryor live today, he is a physical speciman (spelling).IMO he plays nothing like tbone.He is more gifted of an athlete.He will be great if the mental part of the game comes to him.OH

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Michigan would have beaten Utah with Pryor based on what??? HE played against an average 1-aa team in mop up duty. He did throw it well early, but Sheridan hit the same passed he threw. He is a physical superman, man let's see what happends in two weeks and than we'll talk about how good he is.

huedawg
JV Team

Post by huedawg »

peake wrote:Michigan would have beaten Utah with Pryor based on what??? HE played against an average 1-aa team in mop up duty. He did throw it well early, but Sheridan hit the same passed he threw. He is a physical superman, man let's see what happends in two weeks and than we'll talk about how good he is.

Tbone sucked pretty well for his first couple of games as a freshman . As for TP, he was obviously nervous , no doubt , however, they did the right thing by getting him in there and getting some playing time logged .

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

Pryor > Sheridan and Threet

If you don't think so, you are crazy. Pryor can make all the throws they make, but he is Vince Young with the ball in his hands. A pro scout who watched an OSU practice said Pryor would be a 1st round pick as a WR right now. He just needs to get into the flow of the game, and get a grasp of the mental aspect before he can run like Young in a game. Still, UM moves the ball much more effectively with Pryor's feet, and the fact that he showed he can throw the ball in a "game managing" fashion.

It's funny how peake was yanking it at his computer when he though Michigan led for Pryor. Once it became obvious he was headed to OSU, and now since he has been at OSU, peake acts like he is an average player.

It's ok, I'm glad Michigan and PSU didn't want him. OSU is pleased to have him.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

I could care less about your pro scouts say he will, whatever. Give me a break. He struggled in the first half against YSU's defense when they put pressure on him. Is he better than both UM Quarterbacks running, sure, but Threet can make everythrow that he can make. Threet was a 4 star QB coming out, and the only reason UM didn't offer was because they had Mallett.

I am tired of the Vince Young comparisons when the kid has done nothing. If he does what VY did against USC in two weeks, than I will see it, but nothing he has done has shown me he is VY.

I am not saying things wouldn't have been different, but they would have loaded the box just like they did against the other two QB's.

I would have loved if Pryor would have choosen Michigan, but if he started from day 1 Michigan would still have struggled. Xavier Lee, Rayn Pariloux, and Ronald Curry, were all can't miss prospects as well. HE is an outstanding athlete, but after game 1 I am not comparing him to Tebow or Vince Young.

WOuld a pro scout really say that a kid that has never caught a college pass, or ran a route, be a first round pick based on athleticism? Sure---yea right.

I wish UM would have gotten him, but they didn't, so I only care about players who play for Michigan.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

Young did that to USC when he was a Redshirt Junior. Give Pryor four years, and I think you know what you would see.

Also, Pryor was GOING to be the starter at UM had he selected them. RR must think higher of him than you do, but then again, every coach in America seems to. Jim Tressel raves about him. In the past, he raved about the abilities of Maurice Clarett, Santonio Holmes, Chris Gamble, AJ Hawk, and Beanie Wells. His almost giddy praises are rare, but are 100% accurate when he does it.

Do you honestly believe Pryor would not have been the starting QB for Michigan yesterday? You know better. I don't care how many stars Threet was in high school. He couldn't beat out a walkon, should be D3 player for the starting position.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

I didn't say he wouldn't start, but I believe he would have struggled still. I couldn't believe Michigan didn't use Feagin to at least keep the defense honest a series or two. Threet was the better player point blank yesterday, so I don't know what RR saw.

He is a special player, but he is a freshman who played a single game against a bad opponent, and I am not saying he is anything more than that because you Buckeyes want to crown him The Best Player of All-Time.

McGuffie did some good things, but I am not saying he is going to be anything untill he can be more consistant.

Return to “College Sports”