SEOP

Re: NCAA: Bowl ban for OSU in 2012

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

Why?

blue53
All State

Post by blue53 »

It would have been more fair for the guys that are coming back next year if they were allowed to compete and play in bowl games, but OSU would have to forfeit any money received from the bowl game. That way you're not punishing the kids that did nothing wrong, but are sending a clear message to university.
I'm more worried about the probation than missing a single bowl game.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

[quote="seofan_via_dublin"]

"The three year probation could affect it a little, because if one guy screws up in 3 years, WE'RE SCREWED!!!"

There is the rub. Can Myer afford to operate under a business as usual approach and recruit a five star prospect whose sense of entitlement might lead to more violations and penalties ala SoCal for LOIC? Is the risk worth the reward?

Dubs, you always seem to have the inside scoop on the state of the program. Can Myer
navigate the probation period cleanly and still challenge for BIG and national honors?

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

told you guys a year ago that Gene Smith was an absolute DOUCHE BAG , but THE osu fans were taking up for him at that point. They need to fire that dude , good job by the NCAA trying to keep the cheaters honest. lol MD

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

OSU has made major changes to the monitoring process, the biggest recruits Meyer has landed to date have already reaffirmed their commitment.

He is still committed, the players are, and it's not like he's taking over Purdue!

He's taking over a program that is loaded and ready.
They have great talent, and a ton of speed.
It has been used incorrectly on offense, and conservatively on defense.

We had a group of guys with no desire to put the team first, lead by a QB who had no moral or selfless compass, and they made choices that put their coach in a position where he made horribly wrong decisions. After the bowl game, those guys are gone, along with their coach.

I don't expect OSU to have issues over Meyer's time.
USC has done a good job at staying clean while improving during their ban and probation period.

whompascat
All Conference

Post by whompascat »

usc gets 30 scollys and 2 year ban and osu gets 9 and 1 what a joke they should have got the same as usc if not more

Slim Jim
Varsity

Post by Slim Jim »

Omega wrote:
seofan_via_dublin wrote:
"The three year probation could affect it a little, because if one guy screws up in 3 years, WE'RE SCREWED!!!"

There is the rub. Can Myer afford to operate under a business as usual approach and recruit a five star prospect whose sense of entitlement might lead to more violations and penalties ala SoCal for LOIC? Is the risk worth the reward?

Dubs, you always seem to have the inside scoop on the state of the program. Can Myer
navigate the probation period cleanly and still challenge for BIG and national honors?
I agree...That's the gamble you are taking with Meyer.He didn't run the cleanest program at Florida.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

whompascat wrote:usc gets 30 scollys and 2 year ban and osu gets 9 and 1 what a joke they should have got the same as usc if not more
Their infractions were less than USC, why should they have gotten more punishment?

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

I'll be watching next fall regardless of what happens going forth. But....Smith should fall on his sword to clean out the whole mess. And if he doesn't. Gee should fire him. And if he doesn't, he should be gone, too!

Charge
Varsity

Post by Charge »

Comparing OSU's players trading gold pants for tats to USC's Reggie Bush and parents getting a house bought for them is ignorant. Thats like saying someone who steels a candy bar should get the same punishment as someone who robs a bank.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

USC also had OJ Mayo getting paid by his head coach, and several violations in non-revenue sports.

USC got failure to monitor AND Lack of Institutional Control.
USC fought tooth and nail for 4 years, OSU fully cooperated after email was uncovered.
USC's coach new and bailed for NFL, OSUs coach (once outed) bit the bullet and cooperated and fell on the sword!

There is no comparison to USC's violations, so STOP LISTENING TO ESPN and making one!

frank-n-beans
Varsity

Post by frank-n-beans »

Ohio State men’s basketball beat writer Bob Baptist spoke with Ohio State president E. Gordon Gee at the Buckeyes’ game against Lamar about the NCAA sanctions handed down against OSU today.

Q: In hindsight, had you known you were going to be banned from a bowl game, would you rather have taken it this year than next?

A: There’s no guarantee that that would have made any difference anyway. We had thought of that. But there was no guarantee that if we would have abandoned a bowl this year, that we would not have had a bowl ban next year. A voluntary ban is different from an NCAA sanctioned ban.

Q: What have you thought of Gene Smith’s handling of this in the past year?

A: I have been a consistent supporter of Gene and remain so.

Q: When you look back at how Ohio State handled itself as a university throughout this process, how do you feel about it?

A: I think we stumbled out of the gate, I think we made some mistakes initially, I think we did not get a strong start, I think we gathered ourselves, put together a good approach, and from that point on I think we’ve done very well.

Reports of Gene's demise have been greatly exaggerated. Gee and Smith have dug in like Alabama ticks and they ain't coming out. :( :( :(

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Since the NCAA did not accept OSU's self-imposed punishment that included vacating the 2010 season, will the 2010 season still be vacated?

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

They did accept them, just added on.

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

JMO GENE SMITH SHOULD GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WRONG !!! WRONG!!! WRONG!!!!

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Just a warning to OSU fans, your nightmare may not be over. Your new coach is ignoring contact rules already despite just being slapped with sanctions. This is a dead period for recruiting until Jan 3rd, two nights ago current 2013 UM commit Shane Morris got a phone call from Urban Meyer at 11:00 pm on Christmas eve. I have heard from a very reliable person the entire Big Ten is ready and willing to turn him in. The SEC coaches wouldn't because they were all breaking the same rule, but Urban is no longer in the SEC. Just letting you know.

SPAMONY
Varsity

Post by SPAMONY »

peake wrote:Just a warning to OSU fans, your nightmare may not be over. Your new coach is ignoring contact rules already despite just being slapped with sanctions. This is a dead period for recruiting until Jan 3rd, two nights ago current 2013 UM commit Shane Morris got a phone call from Urban Meyer at 11:00 pm on Christmas eve. I have heard from a very reliable person the entire Big Ten is ready and willing to turn him in. The SEC coaches wouldn't because they were all breaking the same rule, but Urban is no longer in the SEC. Just letting you know.

SORRY PEAKE Per NCAA recruiting rules each coach is allowed (1) phone call per recruit per week during this period so thanks for confirming that Meyer is doing his job correctly and within the rules! So the VERY RELIABLE source is total BS I expect more from you than this!

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

You can't blame OL Peake, even his schools AD is not informed of the rules, and cries to this day about the waiver!

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Dear Dave Brandon, might I suggest this add campaign!

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

This was the same day that 2013 recruit Logan Tuley-Tilman confirmed he was contacted by Urban Meyer.

Do you really think that in the midst of the 2012 recruiting season Urban's one call would be to a 2013 recruit? You can make calls during a quiet period, not a dead. There is a difference.

You are also wrong on your interpretation of the rule. December 20-Jan 3rd this is a dead period, no contact with recruits unless they are admitted for mid-year enrollment. http://collegefootball.about.com/od/rul ... lendar.htm

Dead Period-Coaches are not permitted to make in-person recruiting contacts or evaluations on or off-campus or to permit official or unofficial visits by recruits or to make phone calls to recruits. http://www.hithighlights.com/NCAA_Footb ... landar.php

The guy working in the athletic department knows what he is doing, and when I told everyone on here what was REALLY going on with Justin Boren, people didn't want to listen. It was only confirmed in the book Three and Out by John U Bacon is October. This guy is dead on, and was dead on with NCAA violations, and in two days will be dead on again.

I was also told the if a certain coach at Illinois were still the permanent fixture he would go after Urban any chance he had. The problem with going after Urban is you have to get the kids to turn over their phone records, which puts them in an awkward position, and it gets ugly.

This was a problem when he was in the SEC, problem was every other SEC coach was also doing it and wouldn't sell out their program to get Urban in trouble.

Doubt me all you want, but saying you expect BETTER is a pretty silly comment.

Return to “College Sports”