SE

Re: Derek Roback quits Notre Dame enrolls at Ohio University

Post by alabama mike »

Best of luck to the young man.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Quick question for those on this thread that are questioning the academic's of Ohio University, where did you get your college degree? Was it at a vastly superior institution? Let's list them, and last time I checked Ohio University is rated well above average on most all list.

My school: Ohio University, 3 degrees

hbk2016
Varsity

Post by hbk2016 »

I have two degrees from OU also. It isn't exactly Notre Dame! A degree from ND carries alot more clout in the world than one from hillbilly u.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

I wish the young man the best of luck and I am happy to have him in Athens. I think he will make a great addition to the Bobcats. Ohio U is a great school!!

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

hbk123 wrote:I have two degrees from OU also. It isn't exactly Notre Dame! A degree from ND carries alot more clout in the world than one from hillbilly u.
Yeah, I know tons of fortune 500 companies in SE Ohio who would pay higher wages to a ND graduate. Ohio has many programs that are ranked higher than peer programs at ND. Your perception may not be reality.

I notice only one taker on my question as to where is your degree? hmmmmm.....making me wonder!

hbk2016
Varsity

Post by hbk2016 »

I am sure most ND graduates look for jobs in SE ohio! Oh man, that is classic.

Yahoo has the rankings ND is 19th, OU is 124.

I love OU but it isn't in the same category as ND. Just the way it is.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Pol Pot wrote:
hbk123 wrote:I have two degrees from OU also. It isn't exactly Notre Dame! A degree from ND carries alot more clout in the world than one from hillbilly u.
Yeah, I know tons of fortune 500 companies in SE Ohio who would pay higher wages to a ND graduate. Ohio has many programs that are ranked higher than peer programs at ND. Your perception may not be reality.

I notice only one taker on my question as to where is your degree? hmmmmm.....making me wonder!
If a kid wants to stay close to home after college, it really doesnt matter. What matters in getting a good job in this area is A degree and knowing someone. Just the way it is.

Now if a young person was wanting to move to say the west coast after graduation, a degree from ND would be a big asset over a degree from OU.

Oh yeah, mine are from Rio and OU.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Pol Pot wrote:

I have a B.A from Geaorgia Miltary, A B.A. from Ohio, and my Masters from Rio! I recieved my Lisence as a Paramedic from Hocking College and also got my A.C.L.S instructer card from Hocking College.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Yahoo is such a quality source for college rankings. Ohio has many quality programs that are national leaders. A degree is a degree is a degree in most aspects of life, is basicly what I am saying, my Ohio University Degrees have served me well in life, and I would not trade my experiences and time there for anything.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

i did two scrimmages at ohio u. the first string qb was out and the backups were nice with strong arms.

hbk2016
Varsity

Post by hbk2016 »

The source on Yahoo is US News and World Reports. I agree those are subjective, but I think even the most biased OU person understands that Notre Dame is a top 20 school and OU is a public institution that anyone can enroll in.

Let's get real about it. I wish him the best at OU, but OU is not Notre Dame in the area of academics or athletics.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

hbk123 wrote:The source on Yahoo is US News and World Reports. I agree those are subjective, but I think even the most biased OU person understands that Notre Dame is a top 20 school and OU is a public institution that anyone can enroll in.

Let's get real about it. I wish him the best at OU, but OU is not Notre Dame in the area of academics or athletics.
It is his choice where he goes to school. If he wants to go to Ohio thats great. At least the young man will get a college education which is more than a lot of people can say. I think everyone should just be happy that he choose to continue his education. :122245

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

Orange and Brown wrote:
hbk123 wrote:The source on Yahoo is US News and World Reports. I agree those are subjective, but I think even the most biased OU person understands that Notre Dame is a top 20 school and OU is a public institution that anyone can enroll in.

It is his choice where he goes to school. If he wants to go to Ohio thats great. At least the young man will get a college education which is more than a lot of people can say. I think everyone should just be happy that he choose to continue his education. :122245
Well said and I couldn't agree more. I wish the young man the best of luck and hopefully he can contribute for the Bobcats, but more importantly contribute to his future.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

You had better check your facts again, as you have fallen for the great misnomer, Ohio University is a selective enrollment University. Last year 30% of all applicants were denied admissions.

The average student in the freshmen class of 2008:
* High school class rank:
-- top 16-44%
* Composite ACT:
-- 21-26
* Combined SAT (Math + Critical Reading):
-- 970-1200
* Average GPA:
-- 3.4 (4.0 scale)

Ohio University ranks first in the state of Ohio for nationally competitive awards won by its students.

For the record I am not saying OHIO is a better institution, however I am saying the quality of education garnered at Ohio University is generally recognized as a top flight education.

hbk2016
Varsity

Post by hbk2016 »

"denied enrollment" is a joke. It simply means the people who shouldn't go to college at all have to go to one of the branches for a quarter or two before they head to Athens.

Like I said, I am an alumni and love OU, but ND is a much more prestigious institution.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Maybe back in your day hbk123, things have changed, and the big misnomer of State University is that everyone gets in.

hbk2016
Varsity

Post by hbk2016 »

My "day" was the late '90's. I have never met anyone that didn't get into OU. I graduated from HS with a girl that got a 10 on the ACT and has a degree from OU.

If you have your money they will take you.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Who cares if ND is better than Ohio U? I don't!! ND is a private mostly Catholic school and Ohio is a public school. They are worlds appart in a lot of ways! I think Ohio is a great school. I think ND is a fine school to. It doesn't matter what we think, The young man has decidd he wants to go to Ohio U.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

hbk123 wrote:My "day" was the late '90's. I have never met anyone that didn't get into OU. I graduated from HS with a girl that got a 10 on the ACT and has a degree from OU.

If you have your money they will take you.
You must not have many friends, and sorry but money does not buy you admittance at Ohio University.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

If you live in appalachia (southeastern Ohio) and maintain a 2.5 gpa you can attened ohio for free.
It is easier to get into OSU though.

Return to “College Sports”