Re: NCAA: Bowl ban for OSU in 2012

Post by froggy48 »

SNAP!!!!

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

Well, maybe it's time to join the SEC at their own game if you can't beat them. How many people are tired of seeing the SEC get away with murder, yet constantly place teams in the BCS title game. My TV will be off this year for the BCS Bogus Bowl!

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

Jalin Marshall (2013 class) confirmed that OSU is his #1, and that he wants to decide before start of senior year.

Marshall also confirmed that he spoke with Meyer Tuesday night.
As Peake pointed out, dead period, I sure hope it was Marshall that called Meyer.

Recruits can call the coaches, but coaches can't call the recruits.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Clarification of the in question DEAD PERIOD rules:

This comes directly from the NCAA glossary of recruiting terms.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/pub ... terms#dead
Dead period is a time when the college coach may not have any in-person contact with the prospective student-athlete or the prospect’s parents at any time. The coach may write and telephone during this time.
Contact period is the time when a college coach may have in-person contact with a prospective student-athlete and the prospect’s parents on or off the college’s campus. The coach may also watch the prospective student-athlete play or visit his or her high school. The prospect and the parents may visit a college campus, and the coach may write and telephone during this period.
Quiet period is a time when the college may not have any in-person talk with the prospective student-athlete or the parents off the college’s campus. The coach may not watch the prospect play or practice.The prospective student-athlete can visit college campuses during this time and a coach may write or telephone.
Now, lets set the record straight, instead of letting falsehoods prevail and sway an opinion based on lack of insight!!!

So long as Urban Meyer does not visit the recruit, or have in-person contact with the recruit or the recruit's family on or off campus, then it is NOT a violation, and it is NOT something that "The entire conference" can turn him in for.

As stated above, a coach MAY write or call during the dead period!!!
Urban has done nothing wrong if he calls the recruits, or if the recruits call him.
He can write of call. Just nothing In-Person!!!

Yet another example of someone inside the UM athletic department not having a full understanding of the rules.

I don't blame Peake one bit for reporting what he heard though, he only passed on what he was told.
Last edited by seofan_via_dublin on Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Oh, I forgot...

...SNAP!!!

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Amazing how many people don't understand that rule Dubs,if you look it up there's just as many websites saying they can't call during dead periods as the ones that say they can,,but the NCAA glossary don't lie

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Thanks and thanks.

I was told and am still being told that a coach CAN'T call a recruit during dead-period. The reason for a dead-period is for exams for student's (both in high school and college). No calls can be made is the understanding at Michigan according to the recruiting calendar and the NCAA's explanation on the recruiting calendar. Recruits can call the coach, but not the either way. Don't know if Michigan just plays it overly safe or not?

My real point coaches are watching Urban very close, and I mean close, no room for error.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

No doubt that OSU and Meyer will be on close watch for 3 years by both their piers and the media.

I think it speaks to the lack of training and clarification by the NCAA that there are so many different degrees of interpretation of their rules.

The system needs streamlined and simplified. Then proper training.
Once that is accomplished, then they can truly hold the schools feet to the fire.

I bet if you went to Indy and polled the members of the rules committe one by one in secret, that we would get different answers from nearly all of them.

How can we hold a school or coach accountable, if the governing body can't even give solid answers and rule guidelines!

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

well said.

froggy48
Riding the Bench

Post by froggy48 »

Well said seofan:
Oh Snap-Its all about presentation!!!!

SPAMONY
Varsity

Post by SPAMONY »

seofan_via_dublin wrote:Oh, I forgot...

...SNAP!!!

Make that a double from ME !!! SNAP AND SNAP!!!

By the way I agree with you and Peake both about the horid inconsistency on the rules

Return to “College Sports”