Week 3 OSU vs Ohio U

Who wins?

Total votes: 0

therepublican
Varsity

Re: Week 3 OSU vs Ohio U

Post by therepublican »

*Towson* seriously wouldn't surprise me if they pop up on the 2013 or 2014 schedule for OSU. I have said it before. The Big Ten should be ashamed their teams are scheduling Youngstown, Towson, App St. and so on.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

Mister B wrote: If OSU fans want respect from others and the national media, then maybe they should try and give some respect to some other programs instead of saying to "schedule crap teams that have fans and will travel"
If you want the Buckeyes to come down to Athens, it's about more than just a game.

When OU comes to OSU, the city of Columbus doesn't get a huge economic boom. OU fans are already coming to Columbus, many of them already work here. Most of them come her to shop. Columbus already makes money off of OU, and one saturday game with OU doesn't make a difference in the economy of Columbus. Your logic behind the arguement of "Columbus gets to make the money" is flawed.

Athens isn't going to get a significant boost by having the Buckeyes at OU for one game either. It's a short trip, just over an hour. Buckeye fans are going to drive to the game saturday morning, and go home saturday evening. They won't even need to buy any gas from your stations. They won't be booking hotel rooms either.
Were are they going to park? I spent three years living on campus at OU as a student. Parking there sucks! Do you have room for 17,000 more cars to park, not to mention the tailgate RVs? What kind of mess is Nelsonville in for when 17-20,000 cars try to get back home at the same time?

OU and Athens PD have a hard enough time handling Halloween weekend. If you book OSU, there will be more people on campus than what they have on Halloween, and they will be drinking just as much.

The campus bars are a great place for a trip to visit if your from Columbus, they always have a great atmosphere and I've had a great time every time I've been there. Problem is, they're small. How are the OU regulars going to react when the Buckeye faithful take over every bar in town. The bars are normally always packed anyway, so they're not going to make anymore money than usual. They're just going to have to deal with ticked off regulars that can't fit into their local watering hole.

Sure, OU will sell out Peden stadium. They could do that though by inviting a team that will travel a great enough distance that their fans will need to book hotels, eat multiple meals, and actually contribute to the economy. OSU will just show up, beat the bobcats, trash the town, and leave the residents of Athens to clean it up. Plus, OU wouldn't get the welfare handout that they get by coming to Columbus.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Also, OSU doesn't send their varsity hockey team to play OU's club team.
I've been to the OU hockey games against OSU.
OU hockey is a great experience, and I normally make at least 1 or 2 trips down to see them every year.
But, the team with OSU jerseys on, is not the varsity OSU team.

therepublican
Varsity

Post by therepublican »

Seriously, I agree with Dub on this one (which isn't going to happen a lot)..OSU has no business in Athens. Too many people, not enough Police, parking, and so on. It would be a joke. OSU has one hell of a caravan that follows..There is no reason for OSU to be in Athens.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

I too, spent time as a student living on the OU campus and I am aware of the pitfalls, especially around the West Green area.

There are many OSU fans and Alumni that don't get to see OSU play in person, especially SE Ohio fans. Playing outside the Shoe is the best bet for alot of diehard OSU fans to see the Bucks in person. This is why games at Indiana, Purdue etc are sellouts; the average fan gets tickets to these games much easier (usually via season ticket packages at the other school) because they are locked out of the Shoe.

The Alabama/Duke game has limited ticket purchases so more fans can see the game. Most will be Tide fans that normally are locked out of Bama home games.

You can get season tickets to OU games for $29. Think what they can sell season tickets for the one season OSU comes to Athens. Their season ticket packages would all be gone. Yes, bought up by Buckeye fans, but they still are soldout for the entire season.

There are many other side benefits besides bars and hotels since most Buckeye fans will do a daytrip for the game.

I guess OSU only sends the JV teams to Athens to play in other sports, basketball, volleyball etc. Lets not forget that OSU and Indiana came to the Convo ranked as the #4 and #12 mens basketball teams in the country and got beat in the same month.

I do believe that there is more money to be made off of this for the OU/Athens area than a welfare check of $750,000 for a trip to Columbus. It would also work as a recruiting tool for Solich to have OSU in Peden with prospective players on his sidelines visiting his facilities.

Even if it is not OU, then OSU can play some nonconference games away at mid-major schools campuses instead of thinking they are doing them a favor by playing them in an NFL stadium in Cincy or Cleveland and calling it an "away" game for OSU.

The NCAA added a 12th game to give the fans more bowl type games during the regular season. OSU and most other schools have changed their schedules to only add home games to enrich their own coffers against weaker mid-majors with the "welfare check" game.

Money drives the programs and not the glory gained or lost on the field of battle against an opponent of equal or greater strength.

So if they continue to have the "welfare check game" lets go on the road once every 5 years or so and have it on enemy turf, even if OU isn't a suitable place, pick another school of mid major status and have a home and home series with if that makes you feel better.

OSU plays no nonconference football games outside of the Shoe this year, 1 next year - Miami of Florida, and 0 in 2012. Can we expect to see OSU have a home and home series with UAB after they play in Columbus 2012? They play at Legion Field and it seats 72,000.

mab43bac
Freshman Team

Post by mab43bac »

Remember you big ten and Buckeye haters ,its not only them that schedule crap non conference games
San Jose State
Penn State
Duke
Georgia St.
Please dont talk about osu sched.when you play a non con.sched.like this

Jughe@d
Riding the Bench

Post by Jughe@d »

Mister B wrote: I guess OSU only sends the JV teams to Athens to play in other sports, basketball, volleyball etc. Lets not forget that OSU and Indiana came to the Convo ranked as the #4 and #12 mens basketball teams in the country and got beat in the same month.
...in 1971 and it was in the same week http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybbb7hieXRE
Mister B wrote: Money drives the programs and not the glory gained or lost on the field of battle against an opponent of equal or greater strength.
I like this quote because it is a fact.

I love OU almost as much as anyone, but if you seriously think that tOSU is ever going to bring their football team down for a game in Peden Stadium, you need to get your head checked. 105,000 at ~$75.00 or 24,000-25,000 at ~$20.00 is a no-brainer. We crammed in for the UCONN game last year and that was without much of an away crowd. What would we do with all the others that made the short trip down from Columbus?

The Convo is a solid facility, much bigger than other "Mid-major" schools, so a series of basketball games are much more likely to happen than just a single football game.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

I don't believe for a minute that OSU will ever grace Peden Stadium, but there are those who support the Buckeyes and feel that OSU is beneath playing a lesser opponent anywhere other than the hollowed grounds of the Shoe. And, when they do play one away from the Shoe, they make it a virtual home game for the Buckeyes by playing in an NFL stadium in Cincinnati or Cleveland and call it a "road" game.

UAB comes to Columbus in 2012 for a nonconference game. OSU could easily give them a return game as their stadium in Birmingham, Alabama seats 72,000 and play the game in the SEC's backyard and use it for recruiting purposes.

I give OSU credit for going on the road and playing at Texas and next year at Miami of Florida. This is what the NCAA hoped for by expanding the schedule to 12 games. But, OSU and other schools similar to them can throw some of the lesser schools a bone and schedule a nonconference game away once in awhile.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

There is also way more involved with Alabama vs Duke than just a road game so Bama fans that are locked out can see them.

Duke is in the middle of one of the top research areas in the country, and the business there is booming,
Bama will be bringing reps from the state legislature, and business people from all over the state to the Research Triangle,
and those people will be negotiating deals to bring money and technology back to Bama.

OSU does this with those type of people when they go to places like Tempe, LA, Austin, and Miami.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

the bucks will be to much for the bobcats. osu by at least 28. according to a sports app i have on my phone. the buckeyes are - 30.5

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

mab43bac wrote:Remember you big ten and Buckeye haters ,its not only them that schedule crap non conference games
San Jose State
Penn State
Duke
Georgia St.
Wow, hammering on fellow Big Ten and #18 ranked Penn State and calling this a crap nonconference schedule for the Tide.

Doesn't look much different from OSU's nonconference schedule of Marshall, Miami, Ohio U and Eastern Michigan except all the Buckeye's games are at home while Alabama goes on the road to Duke in a nationally televised game, which they should win easily and it is at the other team's campus.

I do not regard myself as a Buckeye or Big Ten hater. Love to see the Big Ten do good.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

mab43bac wrote:Remember you big ten and Buckeye haters ,its not only them that schedule crap non conference games
San Jose State
Penn State
Duke
Georgia St.

yes but Bama plays good teams every time out in conference, the bucks play in the little ten. LOL MD

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

As it stands right now...

For OSU to win the national title, they will have beaten 6 of the top 25 teams,
and won 3 road games against top 10 teams. (Iowa and Wisconsin will be top 10 when OSU plays them)

For Bama, they also will have to beat 6 of the top 25.

Schedules seem pretty equal, and the Buckeyes have tougher non-conference games.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

iowa and the fat slow guys from Ws might be ranked in the top ten (i doubt it), they are still a tier below the upper 1/3 of the SEC. what 6 ranked teams are you counting on for OSU ?

mab43bac
Freshman Team

Post by mab43bac »

Bama has 1 more ranked team on their sched than OSU ,and yes i was ranking on Penn State they are down this year and are playing with a freshmen qb.which you only beat 24-3 .And you are really hanging your hat on Georgia St. its their first playing football ,yeah thats going to be a real test.And please you are playing Duke for crap sake ,dont hang too much on that .Just remember you cant a team for their conferense but have the sec come up here ,but thats right they arent allowed .Im not saying the Big Ten is better but you have just about the same amount of good teams and the you have your dogs every one does.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

The 5 teams that are currently ranked in the top 25 and are on the Buckeyes schedule
plus the title game opponent.

Bama has 6 current top 25 teams on their schedule plus the title game opponent if the make it.

Michigan State will enter the top 25 when they beat Notre Dame this week.

Plus, those "fat slow guys" at Iowa and Wisconsin didn't have any trouble at all with the "southern speed"
in Miami and GTech.

Don't live on last season's glory for the SEC. Yes Bama is elite, but the rest of the conference is not as good as previous years,
while the Big Ten has greatly improved. The SEC is still probably #1, but this years Big Ten is a clear #2, and there are some
talking heads at ESPN that have started to move the Big 10 to the top.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

On a note that actually matter on Saturday...

I'VE GOT FIELD PASSES FOR THE GAME!

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

I was thinking it is too bad something couldn't be organized in conjunction with this game to help the Athens community in light of the recent tornado damage.

bobcatfan4728
Freshman Team

Post by bobcatfan4728 »

seofan_via_dublin wrote:Also, OSU doesn't send their varsity hockey team to play OU's club team.
I've been to the OU hockey games against OSU.
OU hockey is a great experience, and I normally make at least 1 or 2 trips down to see them every year.
But, the team with OSU jerseys on, is not the varsity OSU team.
I have been to many a ohio hockey game inculding OSU. They are a CLUB hockey team so they played the CLUB hockey team from OSU. The are no a jv team just a club team.

bigtimehitter
All Conference

Post by bigtimehitter »

17-0 Buckeyes. with 1:30 left in first quarter. Pryor is 8-9 for 94 yards with a TD threw the air and one on the ground. I think this is a very focused Buckeye team, I feel like they have something to prove this year. This is going to be a tough team for anyone to beat this year.

Return to “College Sports”