Uh-oh: Jim Tressel could be in major NCAA hot water

LoganElm_grad09
Varsity

Re: Uh-oh: Jim Tressel could be in major NCAA hot water

Post by LoganElm_grad09 »

When you win 10 games a season in a football crazed state, you get JT's reputation.

I'm just thinking that with all of the experience Gee has had at this level of Universities, facing infractions like these are probably not the best times to be joking with the whole nation wanting to roast your beloved coach for dinner.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

Probably not, but in his defense, that's the way he speaks.

He's very quirky, and to a media guy that is not familiar with it, it's very raw and inappropriate at times.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

The haters will hate and Buckeye Nation will rally.

In 2 weeks it will someone else plastered all over the sports media.

Go Bucks

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Wouldn't it just chafe the hater's sack if despite any and all suspensions, OSU went 13-0 this season, and did so with a very united group of young men.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Chafe it would.

And 13-0 is very possible, even with the suspensions.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I'm a HUGE Ohio State football fan, and as much as I like Jim Tressel as coach of the Buckeyes and what he has done with the football program since he took over........he should be FIRED for this inexcusable act which has disgraced The Ohio State University, and will no doubt bring severe penalties by the NCAA in the near future.

His position and salary gives him a higher responsiblity to maintain integrity and honesty in his profession........and he failed MISERABLY in this episode, and because he did termination is an appropriate action.

And he allowed the 5 players involved to play in the Sugar Bowl if they vowed to come back for next year?.........knowing what he knew long before this?

The self-imposed punishment by OSU on Coach Tressel is not nearly enough........I hope the NCAA hammers Ohio State, and I think they will and should since this is considered a MAJOR violation.

CLane
Riding the Bench

Post by CLane »

(Great post by ACCBiggz by the way.....)

HUGE Ohio State football fans that are "ashamed" and think that Tress should be "fired" for "disgracing" tOSU need to chill out a little bit.

I may be a bit cynical, but I think you are naive to think that this situation is a big deal. Shady McSweatervest (along with all big program coaches) is probably involved in this kind of situation on a weekly basis...just look how cavalier his responses to Cicero's emails are. "I will keep pounding these kids hoping they grow up....jt". Throughout Spring '10, JT was obviously telling the players to stop selling their stuff....in hindsight, it was obviously too late.

So Tressel lied about when he "found out" about the memorabilia!? SO WHAT! I mean really......he thought he would get away with with it. The guy is human...just knock him down a couple of feet below his pedestal! Ohio State Football is a machine, it gets wins and it generates hundreds of millions of dollars on a yearly basis. Tressel has brought tOSU football back to national dominance.

If you're still "appalled", just don't buy his "self help" books...but don't "call" for his job over something so trivial. I think we're still lucky to have him as a coach. IN TRESSEL WE TRUST! GO BUCKS!
Last edited by CLane on Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frank-n-beans
Varsity

Post by frank-n-beans »

I agree with you dave. Completely disappointed in the man.

Chieftain
Varsity

Post by Chieftain »

I have purposely stayed off this thread, but the time is right shine a light on JT --

I witnessed the rise to the top while he was at YSU and ruled college FB in the I-AA Division with 4 National Titles and two Runners-up in the 90's. I was and still am a Penguin Club season ticket holder. Big fan of OSU as well (Huge). But everyone here knew that all wasn't what is was supposed to be. Recruits that should ( by ability) have gone to the Big 10 , Big East or other major conferences ended up here. One of the more famous cases was that of Ray Issacs, one of his National Champ QBs. The NCAA caught YSU in an "improper benefits" scandal with a booster ( who is still in prison for fraud and destroying a company) and everyone knew what was going on, with the QB driving Cadillacs and flashing big spending money ( player was a local Youngstown Rayen kid & poor as a church mouse). Tressel knew. But when the NCAA posse showed up, YSU announced a "self imposed" discipline and the NCAA went along with it.

Maurice Clarette ring a bell ? Local kid from Warren Harding who lead OSU to a National Championship. Clarette was a punk, but told the truth about what was going on at OSU ( improper benefits), yet another case that was swept under the rug as OSU "self imposed" discipline before the NCAA came down on them.

I like JT. He got his nickname St. Tressel while at YSU. We knew better. Yet while he projects doing things the right way, St Tressel still looks the other way and pulls the Sgt Schutlz routine of "I see nuthing".

I've seen the e-mails in this latest fiasco. Tressel knew from reading the first one he had to report it and didn't. OSU is going to try to ride this out by fining him $250,000 while the guy makes $3.5 million this season. Take that, coach.

You haven't heard the last from the NCAA yet. And Tressel isn't who you think he is. And I like him. Good coach. But he has a "dark side".

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Tress is exactly who I think and thought he was.
And while I know that penalties are on their way, I'm still darn glad he's still my team's coach.

Chieftain
Varsity

Post by Chieftain »

YSU story #2

Tressel was on a hot streak & winning. He pulled the "I need a raise or I'm leaving" routine. YSU had no extra money for him. However, it did have a "position" that he wanted -- AD. He leveraged YSU to force out the AD into early retirement and get the job, "at a reduced rate" ( win/win for him & YSU) but then "transfered" almost all the work to the staff. He signed papers while being foremost, the Head Coach. The other athletic programs quickly fell and some have never recovered ( even now) . And guess which program never went without ? Guess which ones got screwed ? Senator Tressel ?

However, I understand what you are saying Dublin. He wins. Big ! That trumps everything else. Even right & wrong.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

It doesn't trump right and wrong, if it did I wouldn't be so darn ticked at what happened.

It does grant more rope for the hanging though.

We can go through and nit pick 5 or 6 incidents that have occured throughout a long career, but for every one of those issues we'll find countless examples of great work and mentorship.

It's a touchy situation.
On one hand, no single person can be bigger than the organization, and the negative light brought on OSU by this series of events is something that will take a long while to heal. I HATE Tress for putting that light on my team.
On the other hand, his success BOTH on the field and in the communities he's served, gives him enough clout that I don't want to lose him as a coach, AND these violations don't involve recruiting.

I'm treating this as a parent might treat his kid:
I love the Buckeyes unconditionally, and Tress is a Buckeye. Right now, I'm so mad at "my kid" that I want to kick him out of the house and not even acknowledge his existence. But, I have to allow him to learn from his mistakes as well, I have to punish him, and probably more harshly than other kids might get punished, but I also have to trust that he will learn from this, and rise to a new level and make me proud again.

He may no longer be an honor student, but, I'm still glad he's mine!

Chieftain
Varsity

Post by Chieftain »

Ah, yes, the Sugar Bowl.

The Tat 5 WAS going to be suspended for the Bowl game........................................ until Delaney, the Big 10 Commish LOBBIED the NCAA because of the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ involved. Word was that the NCAA would have settled for a one or two game suspension of the players IF OSU & The Big 10 hadn't lobbied them and placed the importance on the TV game, $$$$$$$$$, college FB, Mom, the Flag and apple pie on their doorstep. That left a sour taste in their mouths and they THEN came down hard on the players.

Got more YSU storeis , including murder.

therepublican
Varsity

Post by therepublican »

seofan_via_dublin wrote:I'm treating this as a parent might treat his kid:
I love the Buckeyes unconditionally, and Tress is a Buckeye. Right now, I'm so mad at "my kid" that I want to kick him out of the house and not even acknowledge his existence. But, I have to allow him to learn from his mistakes as well, I have to punish him, and probably more harshly than other kids might get punished, but I also have to trust that he will learn from this, and rise to a new level and make me proud again.

It doesn't trump right and wrong, if it did I wouldn't be so darn ticked at what happened.

It does grant more rope for the hanging though.

We can go through and nit pick 5 or 6 incidents that have occured throughout a long career, but for every one of those issues we'll find countless examples of great work and mentorship.

It's a touchy situation.
On one hand, no single person can be bigger than the organization, and the negative light brought on OSU by this series of events is something that will take a long while to heal. I HATE Tress for putting that light on my team.
On the other hand, his success BOTH on the field and in the communities he's served, gives him enough clout that I don't want to lose him as a coach, AND these violations don't involve recruiting.

I'm treating this as a parent might treat his kid:

:lol: :lol: This is too funny to me.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

:oops: O-LIE-IO :oops:

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

What do you find so funny about it?

therepublican
Varsity

Post by therepublican »

Dub- it was nothing personal. Ur post was actually a good analogy of the point you were trying to make. Outside of the point you were making, which was very clear( how a parent feels about their kid in many situations) I find Tressel to be old enough by now to be held responsible, which he has been. I just thought the parent-kid analogy was funny..it hit home personally with what
My friend said which was nearly the same..

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

boilermaker wrote::oops: O-LIE-IO :oops:
You could always leave the big town of Wellston and move up north, closer to Hoke a Joke

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Dubs,

I was 100% correct on feagan, he made you forget about all TP's troubles because Feagan got arrested for drug trafficking lol.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

therepublican wrote:Dub- it was nothing personal. Ur post was actually a good analogy of the point you were trying to make. Outside of the point you were making, which was very clear( how a parent feels about their kid in many situations) I find Tressel to be old enough by now to be held responsible, which he has been. I just thought the parent-kid analogy was funny..it hit home personally with what
My friend said which was nearly the same..
Cool

Return to “College Sports”