Kirk Herbstreit

3morethan2
Varsity

Kirk Herbstreit

Post by 3morethan2 »

After watching Kirk Herbstreit's reaction to NIU being picked to go to the Orange Bowl, I've lost all respect for him. To give that kind of reaction and the way he pretty much trashed the MAC and NIU's season was disrespectful.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Re: Kirk Herbstreit

Post by smurray »

I think he gave an honest opnion, which is what he was supppose to do. Was he to sugar coat his answer? Do you disagree with his assessment or his delivery of the message?

ACCBiggz
JV Team

Post by ACCBiggz »

smurray wrote:I think he gave an honest opnion, which is what he was supppose to do. Was he to sugar coat his answer? Do you disagree with his assessment or his delivery of the message?
This. And one more time... this.

Also, I feel a lot of people misinterpreted what he and others were saying. I don't believe they once said NIU was a terrible team, but that them being put into that bowl because of the asinine rule is a joke. Which it is. However, there was nothing wrong with what Kirk said last night.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

While Fox had the BCS TV deal, ESPN championed the non-AQ school's right to get a shot at the BCS.
Now that ESPN has the deal, and Boise and TCU are no longer Non-AQ (Boise is technically),
ESPN has realized that big schools mean big money, and have taken the other side.

I have an issue with NIU being in it. They had a great year, but lost to Iowa and only had Kasnsas as a BCS win.
They were good, but not deserving of a BCS bid.

This holds consistent with my thoughts that Boise and TCU didn't deserve a bid, and most definitely Hawaii!

ESPN trumpeted the non-AQ for a decade, to the point that small conferences threatened class action law suits.
So the BCS made a stupid rule to keep the lawyers away.
Now they have to live with it!

3morethan2
Varsity

Post by 3morethan2 »

I know he has to give his honest opinion as an analyst and I probably overreacted a little bit. But I thought he could have delivered the message differently. Instead of jumping on NIU for who they played. He easily should've just bashed the system and that is what its mainly about. Yeah Northern Illinois played two mediocre AQ schools and came away 1-1. But the MAC isn't a pushover, there have been 4 or so teams that have been ranked at some point during the season including 7 teams that are going to a bowl. I do believe the system is flawed for sure while you also have non-AQ teams that have been successful in BCS bowls. Also, what if NIU beats Florida State? do we say they shouldn't of been there or is it more Florida State is overrated?

ACCBiggz
JV Team

Post by ACCBiggz »

seofan_via_dublin wrote:While Fox had the BCS TV deal, ESPN championed the non-AQ school's right to get a shot at the BCS.
Now that ESPN has the deal, and Boise and TCU are no longer Non-AQ (Boise is technically),
ESPN has realized that big schools mean big money, and have taken the other side.
I disagree with this. They haven't "taken the other side" because there isn't a non-AQ in a position that Boise, etc. were in. If that occurs again and they say they don't belong, then yes, they will have changed their tune. But you can't compare 2012 NIU to those teams and say they've changed their argument.
Also, what if NIU beats Florida State? do we say they shouldn't of been there or is it more Florida State is overrated?
Personally, it's VCU in college basketball all over again. Because they made it to the Final Four, and if NIU beats FSU, it doesn't justify them being there. VCU more than NIU, because NIU got an automatic bid by the rules and VCU was selected by a committee. In the case of VCU, yes they made it to the Final Four, but based on their resume and who was left out they should not have been selected at all. The results of the tournament is irrelevant. However, it becomes a case of people wanting to mold something to fit their argument in spite of them being two separate things. The case for being "in" is not the same as can they win.

As a Noles fan, I've been saying this repeatedly since the weekend: Do not sleep on NIU.

The upside for FSU is that NIU lost their coach, but they still have Lynch.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

ESPN announcers are too busy masterbating to the greatness of the SEC to worry about a lowly MAC school! :lol: :lol: :lol:

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

On Mike and Mike this morning they seem to feel the same way as Kirk.

Now it would be sweet if they won.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

They shouldnt be in a BCS bowl. I agree with what he said

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:ESPN announcers are too busy masterbating to the greatness of the SEC to worry about a lowly MAC school! :lol: :lol: :lol:

This exactly.

LoganElm_grad09
Varsity

Post by LoganElm_grad09 »

The bowl system is a sham and I'm glad the Huskies have a shot to give it another black eye. There needs to be a postseason that gives EVERYBODY a shot at the title, just like there is in every college sport and maybe every pro sport out there. This new "playoff system" will not solve things at all.

To you BCS conference fans: why do you have an issue with NIU? Wisconsin is in with FIVE (count 'em, FIVE) losses and Louisville is limping in too. Why do you not say anything about those two?

Northern would have won the Big East this year. Looking at Wisconsin's schedule, NIU could do what they did, heck they could have been better. The rules are set up as is. Northern absolutely deserves to be in the BCS because they have met the criteria. They EARNED that right, unlike Wisconsin and Louisville.

Jughe@d
Riding the Bench

Post by Jughe@d »

He advocated a 4 loss Michigan team being ranked in front of a 1 loss Northern Illinois. Never mind the fact that the top 6 teams of the MAC were better than the middle of Big Ten this year, that statement alone was just absurd.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

I think NIU gets killed.

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

http://larrybrownsports.com/college-foo ... bcs/164510

I don't think he was taking anything away from Nothern Illinois, but was merely stating his dislike at how the BCS left out some bigger schools in favor of the Huskies.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Northern Illinois didn't make the rules, so it's a failure on the part of the BCS system that a team like Georgia or Oklahoma got left out of the BCS. As far as what Herbstreit said, as long as it was his honest opinion, I didn't have a problem with it.

Return to “College Sports”