SEC logic dictates Sparty should be #1

The Gloaming
Freshman Team

SEC logic dictates Sparty should be #1

Post by The Gloaming »

By Davis

The SEC has long been crowned the king of College football. Winners of 7 straight championships, it’s hard to argue the fact that conference must be doing something right. Even Billy Currington would agree. The conference shows up in big non conference games and consistently posts winning bowl records on the reg. The SEC is rewarded regularly on a weekly basis with unranked teams winning and being slid into the top 25, a luxury no other conference has, nor deserves.

Most recently, we saw an Ole Miss (Mississippi) team, a team that was destroyed by TCU in the bowl game last year 42-3, and entered this season unranked, catapulted into the top 5 in most polls after defeating Alabama last Saturday. The equivalent would be Tulsa beating Oklahoma and suddenly becoming the #1 team in the country..IT DOESN’T make sense. The tired old line of “Well we beat each other up in conference play,” is archaic at best if not albeit outrageous. When Tennessee beats South Carolina, should they be #1? But you can bet a sexy little dollar that the Vols will be ranked next week.

If the bias doesn’t exist, and SEC drum beaters will say it doesn’t, then why is it that Michigan State, a team with a high quality win over Oregon has not jumped ohio state, a team that has under performed in every game this year, nearly losing to Northern Illinois. Granted they were the best team the buckeyes had/will play outside of Sparty but that says nothing about how good osu is but a lot about how they schedule favorably to win out. No one does it better than ohio state. Virginia Tech was relevant 15 years ago. Western Michigan and Northern Illinois are MAC schools, who sadly beat up on 75% of the big ten. Kyle Orton isn’t at Purdue anymore, Iowa, Illinois, and Indiana are garbage and let’s not even pretend Michigan and Penn State are good programs anymore, even if you wear Dockers.The buckeyes schedule has been terrible.

So why is it that Sparty can’t get the SEC jump over ohio state. If Michigan State and Oregon are SEC schools, is Sparty not #1. What is this love affair with ohio state in the media and did it play a role in getting them in a championship playoff last season. That’s not for me to say but if the NCAA Playoff Committee has any integrity at all, Michigan State will be #1 next Monday.

The SEC and ohio state need to quit playing politics with our game.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: SEC logic dictates Sparty should be #1

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

TO BE THE TEAM YOU HAVE TO BEAT THE TEAM. OHIO STATE HAS WON LIKE 16/17 IN A ROW.THEY'LL GET THEIR CHANCE.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I agree sparty looks better. but being preseason number 1 should mean something, until you are beat(REF FSU)

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

The Gloaming wrote:By Davis

The SEC has long been crowned the king of College football. Winners of 7 straight championships, it’s hard to argue the fact that conference must be doing something right. Even Billy Currington would agree. The conference shows up in big non conference games and consistently posts winning bowl records on the reg. The SEC is rewarded regularly on a weekly basis with unranked teams winning and being slid into the top 25, a luxury no other conference has, nor deserves.

Most recently, we saw an Ole Miss (Mississippi) team, a team that was destroyed by TCU in the bowl game last year 42-3, and entered this season unranked, catapulted into the top 5 in most polls after defeating Alabama last Saturday. The equivalent would be Tulsa beating Oklahoma and suddenly becoming the #1 team in the country..IT DOESN’T make sense. The tired old line of “Well we beat each other up in conference play,” is archaic at best if not albeit outrageous. When Tennessee beats South Carolina, should they be #1? But you can bet a sexy little dollar that the Vols will be ranked next week.

If the bias doesn’t exist, and SEC drum beaters will say it doesn’t, then why is it that Michigan State, a team with a high quality win over Oregon has not jumped ohio state, a team that has under performed in every game this year, nearly losing to Northern Illinois. Granted they were the best team the buckeyes had/will play outside of Sparty but that says nothing about how good osu is but a lot about how they schedule favorably to win out. No one does it better than ohio state. Virginia Tech was relevant 15 years ago. Western Michigan and Northern Illinois are MAC schools, who sadly beat up on 75% of the big ten. Kyle Orton isn’t at Purdue anymore, Iowa, Illinois, and Indiana are garbage and let’s not even pretend Michigan and Penn State are good programs anymore, even if you wear Dockers.The buckeyes schedule has been terrible.

So why is it that Sparty can’t get the SEC jump over ohio state. If Michigan State and Oregon are SEC schools, is Sparty not #1. What is this love affair with ohio state in the media and did it play a role in getting them in a championship playoff last season. That’s not for me to say but if the NCAA Playoff Committee has any integrity at all, Michigan State will be #1 next Monday.

The SEC and ohio state need to quit playing politics with our game.

Troll Troll Troll your float ruffly down the pot-hole street

OICU812
Varsity

Post by OICU812 »

Agreed! Troll! Won't quit trolling.

Senatorz10
Freshman Team

Post by Senatorz10 »

SEC Logic is Garbage.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Sparty can forget about being number 1 after struggling to beat CM and Oregon getting rolled big time.

zebra77
Varsity

Post by zebra77 »

If their logic dictates that MSU should be #1, then it should also have UM in the top ten. Oh crap I can't believe I said that!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

The Buckeyes played a much better team than Michigan State did yesterday and won by a bigger margin. The Oregon win doesn't look near as impressive as it did a couple weeks ago.
Ole Miss and TCU looking really bad against unranked opponents yesterday, both pulling off unlikely wins in the end.
Buckeyes deserve to be #1 as no one has knocked them off and top 5 teams didn't do anything yesterday to jump them.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

I would love to see Sparty beat the Buckeyes and go on to win the National Championship. It could happen only time will tell.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

luvbigcats wrote:I would love to see Sparty beat the Buckeyes and go on to win the National Championship. It could happen only time will tell.
I would love to win the Powerball lottery. It could happen! Only time will tell.

zebra77
Varsity

Post by zebra77 »

Pendleton does make an impressive showing for kids from southern Ohio, but IMHO Sparty's defense looks alittle slow to me.

Senatorz10
Freshman Team

Post by Senatorz10 »

zebra77 wrote:Pendleton does make an impressive showing for kids from southern Ohio, but IMHO Sparty's defense looks alittle slow to me.
I Totally agree... This Michigan State defense is Nowhere near as "suffocating" as it was in the past 2-3 years. Theyve given up points to Air Force and 2 MAC Schools, as well as an obviously depleted Oregon.

ALSO, Michigan State's offense isnt as impressive either. Oregon`s defense kept it close with Sparty. While Utah made swiss chese out of Oregon's lackluster defense.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

zebra77 wrote:Pendleton does make an impressive showing for kids from southern Ohio, but IMHO Sparty's defense looks alittle slow to me.
He is the exact reason why I would like to see Sparty win Trevon is a top notch youngman and a very good role model to the youngsters of the area.

Return to “College Sports”