It's not confusing enough :lol:

mohawkbaseball#1
All Conference

Post by mohawkbaseball#1 »

too much money to be made in the Bowl system

tomcat fan
All Conference

Post by tomcat fan »

i for one think a playoff would be great and hopefully once the bcs contract expires they go to a playoff system

Dbzshibainu
Varsity

Post by Dbzshibainu »

a 16 team playoff would be perfect because all the conference champions from every conference would get in

Runner
SEO

Post by Runner »

In my opinion for this to happen, they would have to figure out a way to get all of the college games to end on the same weekend. This would eliminate off weeks for ALL schools.

The reason I say this is because it would not be right for a team such as Ohio State for example to finish 2 weeks earlier while others continue for 2 weeks. I know that the ones finishing earlier that would qualify for these playoff games would still have practice, but they are missing out in competing on Saturday.

By everyone ending the regular season on the same weekend it would also have to eliminate league championship games in my opinion, and with the current setup, I don't see that happening.

I don't think many of the higher up that set this stuff up will ever go for it.

rockhillbasketball
All Conference

Post by rockhillbasketball »

I agree! This is going to be nuts.

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

PLAYOFF SYSTEM NOW

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

A playoff will never happen. The best fans can hope for is a plus one model. That will keep the bowls in tact and allow for another huge money maker to be added. A playoff would make the most sense but not the most money for the big conferences. Face it, the presidents have the fans by the balls.

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

it needs to be done though this crap of teams having diffrent amount of games is crazy becasue like GEO and kanas they didnt play in their conf game but they get ranked higher than the CHamp and have the right away to the BIG GAME

tl895
Varsity

Post by tl895 »

i am a minority because i like the system we have in place the playoff starts in august it put more emphasis on each game in a season that is already long enough. win all your games and you will play for the title

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

i just dont like the fact that LSU blew it twice and now may have a 3rd chance

Runner
SEO

Post by Runner »

I stil don't see it happening. There would indeed be a loss of money if it were to happen. Look at how many bowl games there are these days. This year, there is 32 of them.

By having this type of playoff system, they would be eliminating 17 games from the post season. They would be cutting into their "profits" if it were to happen.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

IMO, 16 teams are way too many, and having such a playoff would kill the regular season. OSU could have sat starters against Michigan during the last two seasons, and still made the playoffs. That would be ridiculous. College football now has the most exciting regular season in all of sports. A 16 team playoff would completely ruin the season.

I think a 4 team playoff, or a 6 team playoff would be the best scenerio. In the case of the 6 team playoff, both the #1 and #2 seeds would get a bye in the first round. It would then become just like the 4 team playoff. All rounds would be hosted by the higher seed until the championship game, which would be played at a BCS bowl site. Also, the regular bowl games would still occur, as teams 5-whatever or 7-whatever would all still be available for bowl games.

The playoff teams and seeds would be chosen by the BCS system, not the league championship tie-ins. Several of those conferences do not deserve the playoff spot. Yes, occasionally in basketball, cinderalla teams occur. However, football is much different, and teams can physically dominate an opponent. Yes, the upsets do occur, but it would not be enough to win throughout a playoff. Only the top 4 or 6 teams deserve the shot anyway.

This would also not take anything away from the regular season, as a #1 team losing their last game, could possibly drop to #5 or #7, depending on which playoff is being used. People say that college basketball has "march madness" but currently, college football has "September, October, November, December, and January Madness." The playoff system should not be about allowing all teams and conferences the opportunity, it should be about finding the real national champion.

If you haven't either played a tough enough schedule, impressed the human voters enough, or won enough games to finish in the top 6, then you have zero right to play for the title. You don't have the "right" to be happy, you have the "right" to pursue happiness, so such a system is not UnAmerican.

This year would be:

#1 Ohio State (bye)

#5 Georgia @ #4 Oklahoma (Winner plays @ #1 Ohio State)

#2 LSU (bye)

#6 Missouri* @ #3 Virginia Tech (Winner plays @ #2 LSU)

*I would bet anything that under the current system, voters would place USC in the top 6 for playoff purposes.

So, you can place USC in the #6 hole if you'd like, but either way, you would have a hell of a playoff, and would not take anything away from the regular season. I would say that in nearly every year, you would also find a legit national champion out of such a system.

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

The BCS system as it is needs to be trashed. The same with the preseason polls and the polls during the season. Play out all of the games, then rank/seed them. To much manipulation goes on throughout the season for there to be much validity.

wowhesfast
Freshman Team

Post by wowhesfast »

How About

Ohio State
LSU
USC
Oklahoma
Va Tech
WV
Georgia
Illinois

Round 1

OSU v. USC Rose Bowl
LSU v. WV Sugar Bowl
Va Tech v. Georgia Orange Bowl
Oklahoma v. Illinois Fiesta Bowl

Rose Bowl Winner v. Fiesta Bowl Winner (new bowl) 1 week later
Sugar Bowl Winner v. Orange Bowl Winner (new bowl) 1 week later

Winner v. Winner (new bowl) Nat'l Champ. Game
Loser v. Loser (new bowl) Third Place

This system would keep old tie in system, but make it possible to make more money. With an eleven game season, this many postseason games would not be excessive, making it so that only 14 games could be played.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

A playoff wouldn't have worked this season because of all the chaos. If it were an 8 team bracket, #9 and #10 would have a complaint. It would never end. There is just as much chance that the current system will produce a true champion as a playoff.

wowhesfast
Freshman Team

Post by wowhesfast »

I love the BCS. There wouldn't be half the talk about my favorite subject, College Football if it wasn't for the BCS and that would make me sad. :cry:

wowhesfast
Freshman Team

Post by wowhesfast »

Tobias wrote:That's exactly why you choose ALL 11 conference champions and include the highest 5 ranked BCS teams w/o a conference championship.

Georgia
Missouri
Kansas
Arizona State
Florida

That's a lot of teams Tobias. It makes for a long playoff series. Atleast for weeks, more like six or seven.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

The great thing about College Football is that every single week matters! Every week is a playoff and their is no room for error. I don't have a big gripe with the current system. If LSU, OSU, USC, etc would have taken care of business week in and out than we wouldn't have to worry about the two best teams. This season is cfb their is no clear cut #1 or #2, so how do you expect to get a true #1 or #2. This is the best system that we have had reguardless. If it weren't for the BCS we would see OSU vs USC, LSU vs. WV, and than we would have to gage who should be the NC based on who wins most impressively. This is a screwed up year in cfb and thus it has produced a screwed up product.

My gripe with a 16 team playoff is that there are team all ready playing 13 games with a conference title game included. So a team could possibly be playing 17 games. Plus teams in WAC and Sun Belt, do they really deserve to play for a NC? Excluding what Hawaii did this season the answer is no. Why should UCF out of conference USA play for a NC rather than Tennesse who took LSU to the wire? Who is the better 3 loss team UCF or Illinois? What about Illinois? They are good enough to play in a BCS Bowl but not in the 16 team playoff that includes Florida Atlantic and C. Michigan. Not going to happen.

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

id like to see a playoff system i can't stand the BCS and im a ohio state fan lol. this year there is no way lsu should have made it but hey thats what makes the bcs lol. WE will prolly never see a playoff in college football..

Winners never quit. And quitters never win! Vince Lombardi

Return to “College Sports”