Bill Stewart Named as Head Coach at WVU

ballparent
S

Bill Stewart Named as Head Coach at WVU

Post by ballparent »

Last Updated: 11:19 AM Jan 3, 2008
Reporter: WSAZ News Staff

WVU President Mike Garrison says he's been through a few things, so he thinks it's time to drop the "new" in his title as president of West Virginia University.

Garrison mentions that it's good to have someone who understands "loyalty" on staff. Many questioned Rich Rodriguez's loyalty with his abrupt departure to Michigan.

WVU Athletics Director Ed Pastilong says Bill Stewart earned the job "the old fashioned way. He earned it."

The room is packed with 'Eers fans and alumni who have stuck around after the win in the Fiesta Bowl. WSAZ's Paul Gessler and Adam Cunningham are among them.

"We've been away but never gone (from West Virginia)," Stewart announced.

Stewart says he wants to be a West Virginian for life.

Stewart says it was a joy to work with the team the past couple weeks. He calls them the finest group of student-athletes anywhere in America.

"The people of West Virginia -- this game was for you last night," Stewart said.

"That game for me was for every assistant coach that never had the opportunity to get Gatorade dumped on 'em," Stewart said. "I often wondered what that would be like in the 33 years I've done this." Stewart says he didn't shower last night because he enjoyed it! He says his wife didn't mind.

Original story

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) - Interim West Virginia football coach Bill Stewart has been named head coach.

Athletic department spokesman Mike Fragale says Stewart will be introduced as head coach at an 11 a.m. Eastern time news conference at the team's hotel in Scottsdale, Arizona.

The announcement follows 11th-ranked West Virginia's 48-28 win over No. 3 Oklahoma in last night's Fiesta Bowl.

Mountaineer quarterback Pat White, who ran for 150 yards and threw for 176 and two touchdowns, began stumping for Stewart on the field after the game.

White called Stewart a great man and a great coach who has the love and respect of all the players.

Stewart came to WVU as quarterback coach in January 2000 after two season as offensive coordinator in the Canadian Football League. The New Martinsville native was promoted from associate head coach to interim coach after former Mountaineer head coach Rich Rodriguez left for Michigan last month.

Stewart was head coach at VMI for three seasons starting in 1994.

His resume also includes stints as an assistant at Fairmont State, where he was a three-year letterman, and at Salem College, North Carolina, Marshall, William & Mary, Navy, Arizona State and Air Force.

The development comes just hours after WVU’s stunning 48-28 victory over Oklahoma in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl.

After the Mountaineers win, Pat White announced during the post-game celebration on the field that, "I think I speak for all the players when I say he (Coach Stewart) needs to be our head coach at West Virginia."

The following is Stewart's bio on the official WVU Athletic website.

"Bill Stewart is working with the Mountaineer tight ends this year after spending the last seven coaching the quarterbacks. He added the duties of special teams coordinator and was also promoted to associate head coach under Rich Rodriguez.

Stewart, a native of New Martinsville, W.Va., came to WVU as quarterback coach in January, 2000, from the Canadian Football League, where he served as offensive coordinator of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in 1999, tutoring two all-conference receivers and a 1,000-yard rusher. As offensive line coach for the CFL's Montreal Alouettes in 1998, Stewart's line blocked for Mike Pringle, the first 2,000-yard rusher in CFL history (and one of only six in the history of pro football).

A 1975 education graduate of Fairmont State, where he was a three-year letterman and team captain for the WVIAC champions in 1974, Stewart earned a master's degree in health and physical education from WVU in 1977.

Stewart's lengthy coaching resume began at Fairmont, where he was a student assistant coach for a season, before becoming an assistant coach at Sistersville (W.Va.) High School in 1975. In 1977, he moved to Salem College, where he was assistant football and head track coach for two seasons. In 1979, he moved to the University of North Carolina; he was later an assistant at Marshall (1980), William & Mary (1981-83), Navy (1984), North Carolina (1985-87), Arizona State (1988-89) and Air Force (1990-93). In 1994, Stewart became head football coach at VMI, where he was 8-25 over three seasons. His 1995 team was the highest scoring (24.5 ppg) squad in VMI history, and Keydet running back Thomas Haskins set a I-AA rushing record with 5,349 yards.

He and his wife Karen, also a native of New Martinsville, have one son, Blaine. "

Stay tuned to NewsChannel 3 and WSAZ.com for more information.

Pocket Aces
S

Post by Pocket Aces »

Stewart is total class....fantastic person.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

Best wishes to coach Stewart and thanks for beating the Sooners.

I think Josh Jenkins just might become a Mountaineer. Don't count Pryor out of the mix.

I hope Rick Trickett comes back to WVU with this hiring.

tubby
Varsity

Post by tubby »

Last nights win and the quick hiring of Stewart will help WVU in recruiting.

Army
S

Post by Army »

Good Pick....hope he retains that coaching staff they have now. They showed Oklahoma that was a bad night against Pitt, but don't take them for granted. :-D

Another Big Win in the Bowl Game series for WV :!:

Last year Georgia, this year Oklahoma. :-D

awesomepossum
Freshman Team

Post by awesomepossum »

WVU made a good choice, last night proves it.

kcarth305
JV Team

Post by kcarth305 »

This guy is the real deal. He can and will do a lot for West Virginia football. He did a phenomenal job last night as the interim head coach. I was watching Sportscenter earlier today and when Coach Stewart was asked about the rest of the coaches and whether they would be given the option to say, he said absolutely. He also said that after the great job that all of the coaches did last night, they all have the chance to come back. That says something right there. West Virginia has a very bright future ahead of them. I look for them to be very good next year, possibly a top 5 team.

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

this is great the man deserves this. after all he's done already and a total class act!!!!!

congrats coach stew

Winners never quit. And quitters never win! Vince Lombardi
abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

Congrats Coach Stewart.....I hope Jenkins stays leaning towards the Bucks, and if Pryor doesn't become a buckeye, then it will be alright with me if he becomes a mounty ;-) . GO BUCKS!!

schenk11
All Conference

Post by schenk11 »

Well deserved.

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

he gave that team a huge boost last night

he deserved it

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Seems like a good choice but to not interview him before giving him the job will be brought up when they lose a couple of games. He did a very good job with the team yesterday and has the support of the players. One booster who works for the Arizona Diamondbacks was critized the hire but he was also friends with Coach Rod. With any coach it will take a few years to see if he was the right choice. Many did not like Coach Tressel being chosen at OSU and many really liked ND choice of Charlie Weiss.

Whatever happens WVU needs to improve the total program and improve with the change and not dwell on Coach Rod leaving.

GAHS7462
All Conference

Post by GAHS7462 »

great choice.

He also stated in the press conf. that any asst coaches that want to stay,they have a job!!!!!!!!!!!

John 3:16
MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

I realy hope this works out for the good!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

I was hoping he would get the job

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us

Return to “College Sports”