OSU snubbed in analysts' 2008 preseason predictions

Brutus8907
All State

OSU snubbed in analysts' 2008 preseason predictions

Post by Brutus8907 »

I was watching ESPN this morning and they had the analysts give their preseason top 5. i missed the first one but Kirk Herbstreit's top 5 was...

1. USC
2. Georgia
3. Florida
4. Missouri
5. Oklahoma

Pending any significant losses to early leave for the NFL draft, OSU is returning virtually all starters from this year's team that posted and 11-1 regular season record and played for the National Championship. the buckeyes graduate only 12 seniors, only 3 of which regularly contributed this year. The fact that the buckeyes werent able to make Kirk's (of all people) top 5 baffles me. UGA and Florida are going to be very good next year, USC is a definite top 5 but kinda iffy for the #1 spot. IMO OSU could easily be put above Mizzou and Oklahoma, MAYBE (and that's a big maybe) even Florida and/or USC. but here's mine:

1. UGA
2. USC
3. Florida
4. OSU
5. Oklahoma

your preseason top 5 for 2008? thoughts?

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

do you really think anybody but a buckeye fan would put the buckeyes above two sec teams after the debacle the other night. :oops: :oops:

herbie may have inside info that you dont have plus he has to be objective when giving his opinion.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

Herbie is an assclown.

Trust me when I tell you that there is a "problem" between Herbie and the OSU program.

LSU should have been expected to win. They had 25 seniors to OSU's 5 (3 fullbacks).

You're honestly going to tell me that OSU, if most of the juniors come back, won't be able to contend with a team like 2007 LSU? Please.

USAF_Defender23
Varsity

Post by USAF_Defender23 »

1. Georgia
2. USC
3. Missouri
4. Ohio State (Depending on who leaves)
5. Florida

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

lsu was expected to win and they did. im not an lsu fan or a buckeye hater but its not that hard. wouldnt you agree they didnt even play like a top ten team let alone #1. week 3 should be a good game. need to find a different qb and with the animal jr leaving, who knows.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

Did animal jr announce?

All I have heard is that Malcom Jenkins challenged the team to return next season.

BTW, they dropped a TD, had a FG blocked, had five personal fouls, roughed the punter, and lost by 2 TDs to a HEALTHY LSU team that was expected to win the title. It's not that bad.

This was a rebuilding year for OSU and they had 5 seniors in the 44 man two-deep.

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

Floridia is a little high

yea Tim is back but they werent that impressive this year defending their title

i would have

Geo
Mizzou(daniels is back)
OSU
WVU
Floridia
Oklahoma(Sam Bradford has alot of growing up to do)

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

why all the excuses. the personal fouls are because of a lack of discipline that i didnt think id ever see out of a tressel coached team. the rest of the stuff is just plain execution or lack of. besides, osu is better coming from the underdog spot.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

OSU - 6.3 yards per play
LSU - 4.2

OSU rushing - 4.8 yards per carry
LSU rushing - 3.1

OSU passing - 8.0 yards per pass
LSU passing - 6.4

OSU outgained LSU and held LSU to a season low in total yards.....

The game was one of mistakes and breaks. That's not an excuse, as the only stat that really matters is 38-24. However, it clearly shows that the game was not one where OSU was overmatched.

What about the dropped TD, the missed punt block, and the personal fouls did LSU cause? OSU killed themselves, but since they did, they do not deserve to be national champions. That's just part of sports.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

you are correct 38-24, anything else is just an excuse.

tomcat fan
All Conference

Post by tomcat fan »

Corso had osu in his top 5. i do not know how good usc will be next year since booty is leaving but im sure they will find someone to fill the spot. the USC OSU game next year should be a good one

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

Umm, I think OSU making mistakes is called OSU not executing. That's not an excuse. National championship teams execute properly. You're not an Ohio State hater my as$.

It's clear I am giving LSU credit as the national champion. Did USC execute properly when they lost to Stanford? Was USC not capable of ever beating Stanford? It's not the same thing as OSU/LSU, but you are acting as if it is a given that both teams gave the 100% best performance.

schenk11
All Conference

Post by schenk11 »

1. Georgia
2. USC
3. WVU (assuming Slaton stays)
4. Missouri
4. Ohio State
5. Florida

LSU and Oklahoma extremely close

whompascat
All Conference

Post by whompascat »

until osu beats a non league team with a pulse they will get no respect.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

2002: Pac 10 Champ WSU, Big East Champ Miami
2003: NC State (Phillip Rivers + Mario Williams), Big 12 Champ KSU
2004: NC State (Mario Williams), favored Oklahoma State
2005: Notre Dame
2006: Texas

Actually the only non-league teams that OSU has lost to since the start of the 2002 season have been the national champions (Texas, Florida, LSU).

I guess only national champions have a pulse. Brilliant.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

more excuses. do or do not, there is no try. :oops: :oops:

3morethan2
Varsity

Post by 3morethan2 »

ohio state should be in the top 5 next year...everyone should be returning and a top ten recruiting class coming in...and robiskie said he is returning but animal jr undecided...usc will have two qb's batteling for the starting spot....mitch mustain(transfer from arkansas) and i think is was sanchez
1. UGA
2.Oklahoma
3. Missouri
4. Ohio STate
5 . USC

Brutus8907
All State

Post by Brutus8907 »

Orestes wrote:2002: Pac 10 Champ WSU, Big East Champ Miami
2003: NC State (Phillip Rivers + Mario Williams), Big 12 Champ KSU
2004: NC State (Mario Williams), favored Oklahoma State
2005: Notre Dame
2006: Texas

Actually the only non-league teams that OSU has lost to since the start of the 2002 season have been the national champions (Texas, Florida, LSU).

I guess only national champions have a pulse. Brilliant.

you'll have to ignore whompascat, he just likes michigan and hates OSU, he really doesnt know what he's talking about half the time.

Brutus8907
All State

Post by Brutus8907 »

qualified101 wrote:more excuses. do or do not, there is no try. :oops: :oops:

you're right, LSU "did" and OSU "did not," simple as that. nobody's making excuses, only reasons why OSU "did not." excuses would be making it sound like the loss wasnt OSU's fault for one reason or another, which nobody is doing here. we all know OSU got outplayed and made dumb mistakes. no excuses, only reasoning and acceptance of defeat.

Brutus8907
All State

Post by Brutus8907 »

qualified101 wrote:do you really think anybody but a buckeye fan would put the buckeyes above two sec teams after the debacle the other night. :oops: :oops:

please show me where i said OSU should be ahead of two SEC teams. if i remember how to read, i do believe my top 5 has both UGA and UF ahead of OSU and depending on who leaves early and who doesnt THEN, just MAYBE the buckeyes could be put ahead of florida because florida is a two man, the only thing keeping them in the top 5 is the fact that those two men are absolute stud athletes, studly enough to carry their team despite a severe lack of defense.

Return to “College Sports”