RichRod, the Paper Shredder (link)

Orestes
S

RichRod, the Paper Shredder (link)

Post by Orestes »

http://www.wvgazette.com/secti.../WVU/2008011432

Football player files missing

Fingers point to Rodriguez

MORGANTOWN — West Virginia officials are wondering if assistant coaches aren’t all that Rich Rodriguez took with him to Michigan. They believe he may also have destroyed all or most of the paperwork files relating to every player on the current Mountaineer roster and virtually all of the activities conducted by the program over the past seven years.

Soon after returning to work after the Fiesta Bowl a little more than a week ago, the staff at the Puskar Center found that most of the files — including all of the player files — that had been stored in Rodriguez’s private office were missing. In addition, all of the players’ strength and conditioning files in the weight room were gone.

According to the source, the files in Rodriguez’s office that are now missing included everything from records regarding summer camps — financial and otherwise — to data on boosters, recruiting and most everything related to activities within the program during Rodriguez’s seven years at WVU.

Most disturbing, though, is the absence of all of the players’ personal files, which included, among other things, contact information, scholarship money awarded, class attendance records and records on personal conduct and community service, be it positive or negative.

“If a player spoke to a school or did public service, we don’t have a record of it,’’ said the source. “If he broke a rule or missed class, we don’t have a record of that, either. We don’t have anything. All the good things these kids have done over the years, there’s nothing — not a picture of somebody speaking to a class, nothing. Why would somebody do that?’’

According to multiple sources, several people in the Puskar Center reported seeing Rodriguez and at least one member of his inner circle, video coordinator Dusty Rutledge, in Rodriguez’s private office shredding paperwork on Dec. 18. That’s the day he returned to clean out his office after being introduced as the Michigan coach at a press conference in Ann Arbor the day before. At the time, those who say they witnessed it either did not know what was being destroyed or paid it little attention to it until the files were discovered missing more than two weeks later.

buckeye21
JV Team

Post by buckeye21 »

You beat me to it Orestes.

RichRod seems like a shady guy and he definitely will be an easy guy to hate! I hope Pryor and the other recruits are keeping a close eye on this guy because there just seems to be something not right with RR. I mean the guy basically stabbed his alma mater in the back. Who does that? WVU was supposed to be his dream job.

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

Rich rod is becoming a person i dont like

im soon going to say get back to WV

first he pushes Arrington Maningham and Mallet away and now this

buckeye21
JV Team

Post by buckeye21 »

Surely peake will have an explanation for us all?

ohioguy
Waterboy

Post by ohioguy »

:shock:

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

I got nothing for ya. Though I actually think it is funny ican't stand WVU!

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

Missing with personnel files is a no-no. They are the property on the university.

tubby
Varsity

Post by tubby »

Congrats peake,

You got a class act coach.

hdfatboy
Freshman Team

Post by hdfatboy »

BigMcCauley55 wrote:

He isn't, and never will be, welcome back at WVU.

The interesting thing to me about this shredding incident is that everyone who knows him personally assumes he did it out of childish anger. He thought his players and the community would be heartbroken over him leaving - when in reality a lot of people are glad to see him go or angry over his actions (not the leaving part, the dishonesty and unethical behavior). When he didn't get his way he reacted like a spoiled child....which is fairly typical of how he reacts when he doesn't get his way.

The really dumb thing about shredding the files is that it hurts his former players more than the university. Of course, given what happened in the locker room when he announced his departure, that may have been what he intended.

Here is an interesting web-site where players rate their coaches, I have provided the comparison between player ratings for Rodriquez and Lloyd Carr (note that the results are not scientific):

http://www.coachratings.com/rating_result_compare.jsp?cID=59&ccID=37

Gotta love it when your players use the phrase "troubled" to describe you - and this information was collected prior to the Pitt choke.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

hdfatboy wrote:
BigMcCauley55 wrote:

The interesting thing to me about this shredding incident is that everyone who knows him personally assumes he did it out of childish anger. He thought his players and the community would be heartbroken over him leaving - when in reality a lot of people are glad to see him go or angry over his actions (not the leaving part, the dishonesty and unethical behavior). When he didn't get his way he reacted like a spoiled child....which is fairly typical of how he reacts when he doesn't get his way.

The really dumb thing about shredding the files is that it hurts his former players more than the university. Of course, given what happened in the locker room when he announced his departure, that may have been what he intended.

Here is an interesting web-site where players rate their coaches, I have provided the comparison between player ratings for Rodriquez and Lloyd Carr (note that the results are not scientific):

Gotta love it when your players use the phrase "troubled" to describe you - and this information was collected prior to the Pitt choke.

Can't you keep things calmed down there in Morganhole? Geez. :lol:

Doing the right thing is rarely easy.
hdfatboy
Freshman Team

Post by hdfatboy »

XandOs wrote:
hdfatboy wrote:
BigMcCauley55 wrote:

Can't you keep things calmed down there in Morganhole? Geez. :lol:

I keep trying!!! The soap opera is too intriguing for most though! At least things seem to be pretty calm within the football program itself (staff and players).

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

What kind of relationship did Coach Rod and Coach Stewart have?
I know that Michigan has hired Coach Rod but if things go bad out of this investigation they may have to let him go. If a coach can lie on his rusume and be fired at Notre Dame or a Coach get drunk and enjoy some strippers at Alabama both get fired before ever coaching a game. Maybe Coach Rods actions will catch up to him.

hdfatboy
Freshman Team

Post by hdfatboy »

farmer wrote:What kind of relationship did Coach Rod and Coach Stewart have?
I know that Michigan has hired Coach Rod but if things go bad out of this investigation they may have to let him go. If a coach can lie on his rusume and be fired at Notre Dame or a Coach get drunk and enjoy some strippers at Alabama both get fired before ever coaching a game. Maybe Coach Rods actions will catch up to him.

Their relationship, to my knowledge, was professional and cordial but Coach Stewart (a holdover from the Nehlen era) was not part of RR's core group of coaches. Rich relies very heavily on a core group of trusted associates - (which isn't all that uncommon in this area). Marion County (where RR, Gov. Manchin, WVU Pres. Garrison are all from) is very much about personal contacts and keeping everything in "family". Stewart was not part of that group. Rich likes his "yes" men.

Case in point, which coach went with Rich right away to Michigan and did not come back for the bowl game? Coach Gibson, who most people consider the least skilled football coach on his staff - but the closest to Rich personally. Gibson did a nice job as recruiting coordinator, but left much to be desired as a secondary coach.

I have absolutely no doubt that Rich's actions will catch up to him - I doubt that Michigan will be as lenient with him as WVU was while he was here.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Might be nothing but it is a coincedence that WVU got the transfer of DB Mundy from UM last year and Gibson was his coach along with WVU's recruiting coordinator now is at UM with Coach Rod.
Hopefully this will not effect the players that are at WVU.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

hdfatboy, thanks for the link about the coaches. It tells a lot about what former players think of their coach.

Urban Meyer was 9% corrupt.

I think Kirk Ferentz had the highest rating of 9.7 with Jim Tressel and Mack Brown being tied at 2nd with a 9.5.

I'm sure all coaches had players surveyed who were guys that didn't get much playing time.

hdfatboy
Freshman Team

Post by hdfatboy »

farmer wrote:Might be nothing but it is a coincedence that WVU got the transfer of DB Mundy from UM last year and Gibson was his coach along with WVU's recruiting coordinator now is at UM with Coach Rod.
Hopefully this will not effect the players that are at WVU.

I think that is coincidence - Mundy was a DB who had a year of eligibility he could use elsewhere under a rule that has since changed. WVU was in dire need of DBs so he could come here and start for a good program to use that one year. The perfect situation for player and team.

I don't think any current WVU players (at least those who are up on the depth chart) would have any interest in following Rich to Michigan.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

forget burning bridges, he blew this one up with a couple dozen cases of TNT, and a paper shredder

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

14% of the players interviewed rated Rich Rodleavesus as "troubled" :shock:

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Michigan replace class with ***-you know what I mean! 8)

Return to “College Sports”