Why do players have to sit out one year for transferring?

BigMcCauley55
S

Why do players have to sit out one year for transferring?

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

Why do college players have to sit out a year once they tranfer?

I mean i dont see the point in it if i was a player man i would go crazy not being able to play for a year.

Emanuel Moody sat out this year for UF but he could have been big in USC but didnt want to play there and UF suffered a little but it also made Tebow big.

Mallet moves from MIchigan to Ark but it wont matter for ARK they have the Dick brothers

so what is the point in making them sit?

hdfatboy
Freshman Team

Post by hdfatboy »

To reduce the likelihood that student-athletes will transfer.

If you could just jump to another school and play you'd have recruits jumping ship everytime they saw greener pastures....offered to them by other coaches/schools. By offering a player a scholarship, the school has made a commitment to the player, the player makes a similar commitment knowing he/she cannot immediately jump ship unless released by their current school.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

if coach that recruited you leaves, then you should be granted an exception by the school.

hdfatboy
Freshman Team

Post by hdfatboy »

qualified101 wrote:if coach that recruited you leaves, then you should be granted an exception by the school.

In some cases they are.

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

It's a even bigger price if you transfer within the same conference.For example,If someone was a sophomore at Michigan and then transfers to Indiana, he or she would sit out the year for transfering, but instead of being a Junior when they finally get to play they would be a Senior.I remember this happening with someone who went from Texas to Kansas in basketball.It doesn't happen all that much for obvious reasons.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

In some cases, don't they have to pay their own way the first year?

maybe I'm mixed up with something else.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Why do players have to sit out one year for transferring

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

BigMcCauley55 wrote:Why do college players have to sit out a year once they tranfer?

I mean i dont see the point in it if i was a player man i would go crazy not being able to play for a year.

Emanuel Moody sat out this year for UF but he could have been big in USC but didnt want to play there and UF suffered a little but it also made Tebow big.

Mallet moves from MIchigan to Ark but it wont matter for ARK they have the Dick brothers

so what is the point in making them sit?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- YOU'LL GET ALL THE WVU, PLAYERS YOU WANT SOON, RICH ROD, HAS THE PAPERS TO PROVE IT. :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz:

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

wow you sound like you should move to WVu and be a dang hick that trash talks Rich for getting a new job and vandlize his house maybe threaten his family or even lie about him.

Rich is a good man he took a new job that is the bottom line people do it all the time The whole state of West Virgina is taking this way too far. and as for the papers hey those papers were his to do what ever with. Rich showed up to Michigan to an Empty office not an office full of papers so what now should people like you start accusing Llyod Carr of stealing and shreading documents?

This crap i pissing me off so much.

Think about some stuff that is going on in the college football world ok JOnes when he left Hawii did they freak out and start all this crap Rich is getting NO Jones left because SMU was offering more money Rich left becuase he wanted to coach not the money Bobby Peterino Leaves Louisville after giving them soo much hope for the future did they freak out and do all the crap WV people are doing? NO When he left Atlanta did people freak out? NO when Saban left LSU after winning it all did LSU freak out? NO When Saban left Miami Dolphins for Bama did Miami freak out? a little but not what rich is getting When Ark's coach left for Ole Miss did they freak out? NO

so get off Rich's back and just stop spreading this slander about him

IF WV cant handle this they need to grow up because its business and its about what the coaches want they dont owe anything to any college if they coach there Rich paid his dues to WVu he made them a Big east power agian he gave them 3 Bowl appearances and 2 wins Stewart giving them their 3rd Rich made NFL players out of those kids he gave them hope for an NC

Look at Joe Papa he hasnt won much latley in penn state but they still love him there and if he left tommrow they wouldnt give him any greif about it and if Bobby left same for him they wouldnt give him any greif

hdfatboy
Freshman Team

Post by hdfatboy »

BigMcCauley55 wrote:wow you sound like you should move to WVu and be a dang hick that trash talks Rich for getting a new job and vandlize his house maybe threaten his family or even lie about him.

Rich is a good man he took a new job that is the bottom line people do it all the time The whole state of West Virgina is taking this way too far. and as for the papers hey those papers were his to do what ever with. Rich showed up to Michigan to an Empty office not an office full of papers so what now should people like you start accusing Llyod Carr of stealing and shreading documents?

This crap i pissing me off so much.

Think about some stuff that is going on in the college football world ok JOnes when he left Hawii did they freak out and start all this crap Rich is getting NO Jones left because SMU was offering more money Rich left becuase he wanted to coach not the money Bobby Peterino Leaves Louisville after giving them soo much hope for the future did they freak out and do all the crap WV people are doing? NO When he left Atlanta did people freak out? NO when Saban left LSU after winning it all did LSU freak out? NO When Saban left Miami Dolphins for Bama did Miami freak out? a little but not what rich is getting When Ark's coach left for Ole Miss did they freak out? NO

so get off Rich's back and just stop spreading this slander about him

IF WV cant handle this they need to grow up because its business and its about what the coaches want they dont owe anything to any college if they coach there Rich paid his dues to WVu he made them a Big east power agian he gave them 3 Bowl appearances and 2 wins Stewart giving them their 3rd Rich made NFL players out of those kids he gave them hope for an NC

Look at Joe Papa he hasnt won much latley in penn state but they still love him there and if he left tommrow they wouldnt give him any greif about it and if Bobby left same for him they wouldnt give him any greif

I'd be very careful buying into Rich's version of everything - particularly if your only familiarity with the situation comes from what you are seeing in the press. RR has some serious credibility issues with regards to his accusations.

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

see i would take your advice but your probaly an angry WVU

or are you at peace with rich?

hdfatboy
Freshman Team

Post by hdfatboy »

BigMcCauley55 wrote:see i would take your advice but your probaly an angry WVU

or are you at peace with rich?

I am not "an angry WVU" - I like Bill Stewart a lot more than I ever liked Rich on a personal level. Bill's a genuine human being...it's yet to be seen what he'll do as a head coach, but he will be good to the players and is doing great with his hires so far.

I was never really at peace with Rich. I was never all that impressed with his coaching - and definitely not his character. I think his positive legacy will be in the facility upgrades he was able to get done. People seem to forget that WVU played for a national championship in 88 and went undefeated in 93...it isn't as if RR "made" WVU - he came in during a declining period at the end of Nehlen's career and righted the ship...but he didn't make WVU. Could he have taken us further if he stayed? I don't know...maybe, but his play calling during the two losses this past year (and a few losses in previous year) makes me wonder if he has it in him.

Why would anyone at WVU be "at peace" with a coach who flirted with another job last year - got the university to commit to a great deal to keep him - claimed "I'll be here as long as you'll have me" - signed a contract in August of 2007 that he almost immediately broke - then acted like a butt while leaving?

Here is some information against Rich's "poor me" campaign - (for fun assume he does all of this in a few years of coaching at Michigan and think about how UM fans would react):

He signed a contract saying that he would pay 4 million to WVU if he left before 8/2008 and that if WVU wasn't living up their end of the contract he had to give them written notice. He did neither. It doesn't take a person with very good vision to see that his contract was being honored by WVU.

He called WVU recruits using WVU resources AFTER accepting the job as head coach at Michigan - which most sensible people have acknowledged is clearly an ethical violation.

He resigned in a completely unprofessional manner (the one sentence note handed to a GA).

He, and his family, have made unsubstantiated claims of abuse (although I am sure he got some after the Pitt loss) - he lives in a guarded/gated community...it'd would be incredibly difficult to vandalize his home as he claimed His neighbors told me that they saw no vandalism to his house...now, maybe they did it but I kind of doubt that anyone in that neighborhood are the vandalizing type. If his kids are being abused, why are they still in school at Cheat Lake (my neighbor has his little girl in his class)? The only "abuse" people have agreed actually happened is some kids at school being mean to other kids for a couple of days. Are we going to villify entire communities because a teenager puts a nasty note on someone's nephew's locker at school?

He implied he wasn't going to pay WVU the money owed in his contract at his first press conference. At that point the only people who'd said anything negative to him were the players he left behind...and that all took place behind closed doors in his meeting to announce his departure.

He claimed he learned of the lawsuit WVU filed by watching ESPN when in fact the paperwork was served to him at his residence. The lawsuit isn't even over the 4 million yet - it was a pre-emptive suit to determine teh enforcability of the contract. That's documented - so who is running the smear campaign?

Have some fans reacted very poorly and gone to silly lengths to come up with conspiracy theories? Yes, they have. Does anyone that actually knows Rich have any doubt that he could have intentionally done things to hamper the program out of anger? No. Of course that is not proof of wrong-doing.

Some WVU people (mostly fans and some press) are not in the right in this thing - but RR is much more in the wrong than most people nationally realize. In fact, the first pot shots fired in this whole mess came from Rich's buddies taking his side of the story to the press (ie., Pittsburgh Post-Gazette)...and if you don't think that was initiated by Rich, you haven't done your homework on Rich at all.

You can claim I am just an angry WVU fan if you'd like, but I have a feeling that it won't be long before you realize that Coach Rod isn't all he is cracked up to be.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

Man. That last post was so long and PhD I could barely stay awake reading it. :lol:

Doing the right thing is rarely easy.
hdfatboy
Freshman Team

Post by hdfatboy »

XandOs wrote:Man. That last post was so long and PhD I could barely stay awake reading it. :lol:

Geez, now you're giving me a hard time. But, yes, you're right, it was long. Sorry. I had just read that dillweed Stewart Mandel's diatribe against WV...it gets old. Rich seems to get a free pass....what if he's the one lying? He, since his days at Glenville, has known how to manipulate boosters and the press. Which is great if he is on your side, not so great otherwise.

He is excellent at playing the victim when he wants to deflect blame.

The whole thing is difficult for me because I know some of the people impacted by this stuff. Some of them, like Bill Stewart, have come out ok. Some others have not - and some are still plugging along with the football program.

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

Man i ain't even a wvu fan but i liked watching them cause they are so explossive but i could'nt stand how richrod acted sometime truthfully he's a backstabber.

Winners never quit. And quitters never win! Vince Lombardi

Return to “College Sports”