Big News coming this summer

Peake
SEOP

Big News coming this summer

Post by Peake »

My friend who works for the NCAA and was dead on about the Bucks sanctions told me that this summer big news is coming. No more BCS Championship but a playoff is on the way. Said it will be finalized this summer.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Big News coming this summer

Post by trojandave »

I'm glad to hear this..........I would like to see a 4 team playoff which I think would be more popular than the Final 4 in basketball. I think an 8 team playoff is probably asking too much of the BCS.

Look at this year..........Alabama, LSU, Oklahoma St., and Stanford..........Alabama still wins, but it would have created a lot more interest with the offenses of the Cowboys and Cardinal...........I do think, though, that the best two teams played for the title this year.

VegasEagle
Varsity

Post by VegasEagle »

I would rather have a 8 team Playoff it just seems better to me

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

and the clouds part!!!

cool cucumber
All Conference

Post by cool cucumber »

So if what your saying is true then would Ohio state be eligible to be part of the playoffs since i isn't a Bowl game? I mean I am sure the will keep the other Bowl games So lets just say OSU is top ranked top 4 at the end of the season and make a playoff instead of a bowl game?

VegasEagle
Varsity

Post by VegasEagle »

cool cucumber wrote:So if what your saying is true then would Ohio state be eligible to be part of the playoffs since i isn't a Bowl game? I mean I am sure the will keep the other Bowl games So lets just say OSU is top ranked top 4 at the end of the season and make a playoff instead of a bowl game?
No from what im picking up is that there will be a playoff but not until the BCS contract is up im I correct Peake or should i go back to my room because im a retard lol?????? from what im hearing the playoff will start in 2014

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

LOL @ Vegas.

I was told more likely to be 4 teams.

OSU has a "post-season" ban, so if they can't compete in their own conference title game, no on a post-season one.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

it's about time.

cool cucumber
All Conference

Post by cool cucumber »

peake wrote:LOL @ Vegas.

I was told more likely to be 4 teams.

OSU has a "post-season" ban, so if they can't compete in their own conference title game, no on a post-season one.
Thanks for clearing that up man.

VegasEagle
Varsity

Post by VegasEagle »

But i thought there was a contract between the BCS and NCAA im I wrong

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

They're talking today about a proposal to drop football scholarship numbers from 85 to 80!

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Heard on TV last night there is still a two year contract in place for the current format, so if anything happens probably won't be for awhile that way the bucks won't miss out on much,unless the presidents are so shook up by this last season ratings and attendance they want it blown up immediately.
Last edited by C-Bolt on Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VegasEagle
Varsity

Post by VegasEagle »

C-Bolt wrote:Heard on TV last night there is still a two year contract in place for the current format, so if anything happens probably won't be for awhile that way the bucks won't miss out on much.
thats what i was thinking but im sure Peake has more of a scoop.... Btw Peake have you heard anymore or still what your buddy told you

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Contracts can be amended, so that's not the issue, but I was told 10 minutes ago that there is one thing that can shut this down----The Big 10.

Was told the problem is three schools---Ohio State, NW and Michigan.

I'll give it to you word for word from one Big Ten AD, "A playoff simply cannot work in college football.... we already play 14 games if you play in a conference title game and adding a playoff would mean 16 or even 17 games for these kids which would be more than the pros and we would have to work around Christmas break etc.... If you want a playoff then prepare to watch college football in February ....blank would never stand for it either because it would means kids missing huge chunks of the beginning of classes for the winter semester...just not acceptable" Plus tradition is what sets college football apart. If we went to a playoff the SEC would be even more inclined to do what they do on an even larger scale....He said this is not the pros "we don't do playoffs in college football we have a tradition and it will stay that way" The B10 athletic directors and president have all talked about a playoff....nearly all oppose it...

So we will see if the Big Ten holds this up or not. Looking that way.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

They always use the excuse that teams play too many games and too long into the year for the kids, what a joke! Wish they would explain how the smaller divisions in football can do it, and do it well, and they can't,guess they'll just have to see the ratings and attendance continue to plummet at bowl time.Serves them right

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

They shouldn't do a playoff. There are NEVER 8+ teams that deserve a shot!!!

I'd be in favor of a 4 team, seeded +1 system.
But only really in years where there are not 2 unbeaten teams.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

I don't think 4 is enough Dub, good teams will still get left out,this year that would have meant Boise probably would have got left out again,even though their schedule strength was low they still managed to beat two pretty good teams on the road convincingly.That should give them as much a shot as anyone with their close loss.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

I can see both points of view, but more games and the tool it takes on a student-athlete do play into it. I think too many people don't truly understand what it is like to be a student-athlete.

I know Marshall used to do an adult camp where you were treated like a student-athlete for a weekend. You arrived at 6am, went through check in, then in the dorms, then had a full class load along with fitting in position meetings, film, meals, lunch, and practice. At the end of the week it gives you a new perspective on what it is like to be a student-athlete.

It does quite a tool on your body and it does take a lot of dedication to be a good student while trying to fulfill all of your obligations as a student-athlete.

It is way tooooo convenient for us fans to ignore it.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

C-Bolt wrote:I don't think 4 is enough Dub, good teams will still get left out,this year that would have meant Boise probably would have got left out again,even though their schedule strength was low they still managed to beat two pretty good teams on the road convincingly.That should give them as much a shot as anyone with their close loss.
Boise didn't deserve in!!!

This isn't youth league crap where everyone gets a shot, you get a participation trophy and orange slices after the game!

You win games, you schedule tougher if needed, and you make the top 2, or in my case, the top 4.

There is not a team outside of LSU, UA, OSU that deserved a shot this year. If Boise wanted their shot, don't lose!!! That would have had them in the top 4.

A seeded final 4 using the BCS rankings would add 1 game to 2 teams' schedule.
It would not water down the title hunt.
It would keep the regular season valid.
It would give everything you want, and keep the debate alive, because of those getting left out.
Leaving teams out gives discussion, and discussion is never a bad thing!!!

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

seofan_via_dublin wrote:
C-Bolt wrote:A seeded final 4 using the BCS rankings would add 1 game to 2 teams' schedule.
It would not water down the title hunt.
It would keep the regular season valid.
It would give everything you want, and keep the debate alive, because of those getting left out.
Leaving teams out gives discussion, and discussion is never a bad thing!!!
I agree with everything you say right here dub, but I would like the top six and let the top two have a first round bye kind of like the NFL playoffs, that puts even more pressure on having a good regular season just so you can have the first weekend off to watch you would be competition.

Return to “College Sports”