NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Meyer takes 2 commits from B1G teams

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/i ... -b1g-teams
Meyer takes 2 commits from B1G teams

December, 13, 2011
By Adam Rittenberg

Just a hunch, but Urban Meyer won't be making many friends within the Big Ten, both on the field and on the recruiting trail.

Consider what went down Monday afternoon/evening. Meyer received commitments from two top recruits who had committed to other Big Ten programs: defensive linemen Tommy Schutt and Se'Von Pittman.

Both are ESPNU 150 selections. Both had been the highest-rated commits for Penn State (Schutt) and Michigan State (Pittman), respectively. And now both say they're headed to Columbus to play for Meyer at Ohio State.

Neither switch is a huge surprise. Schutt's pledge to Penn State seemed very shaky in light of the the recent troubles in State College. He considered several other programs and on Monday made the move to Ohio State. Pittman committed to Michigan State during the summer but had been rumored to be reconsidering. His high school teammate, Steve Miller, plays for Ohio State. Pittman also made the switch Monday.

It's certainly notable to have two top players switch commitments to the same school within the league on the same day. It shows Meyer will be aggressive in assembling Ohio State's class up until national signing day and likely will pursue other top commitments both within and outside the Big Ten.

But it also dilutes the ridiculous belief held by some Big Ten fans that there's some gentleman's agreement within the league not to pursue players who commit to other programs. This is a complete myth. Meyer isn't the first Big Ten coach to swipe a recruit or two. He's just the latest to do so. It goes on in every conference and with pretty much every coach. Meyer simply will get more attention because of who he is, where he has been and which team he now coaches. While the Big Ten might become "the SEC North," as Dan Wetzel tweeted Monday, the league isn't nearly as pure as some fans think it is.

There's also the NCAA waiver Ohio State received to have two coaching staffs working simultaneously: the existing staff under Luke Fickell and the new staff under Meyer, which also will include Fickell. This has infuriated fans of other teams and raised questions about fairness, but Ohio State surely won't be the only program to exploit the loophole (Illinois is trying to do the same). Blame the NCAA on this issue.

Our Twitter page blew up Monday night after I tweeted about what Meyer had done. Some thought I was glorifying him. Hardly. I simply pointed out a notable development on the recruiting trail by a new Big Ten coach. Go ahead and whine about it, but it's a part of today's recruiting.

Without an early signing date, all recruits are fair game until the first Wednesday of February. Whether it's wrong or not is beside the point. It's the way it goes.

It will be interesting to see who else Meyer pursues, and whether he can keep Ohio State's own commitments on board, particularly running back Bri'onte Dunn, a rumored candidate to bolt.

Fifty days till signing day ...

VegasEagle
Varsity

Re: Meyer takes 2 commits from B1G teams

Post by VegasEagle »

Who wouldnt leave PSU after all thats going on??????

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

He wants to win........And win we shall do!!!!!...............Welcome aboard.................. :12224

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

go bucks

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Good pickups.

Yeah Michigan is going after Armani Reeves (PSU commit) now too.

BTW, Pittman is a grade issues kid. I don't know if he will have good enough grades to get in OSU, remember that. Wanted to verbal to UM and his grades were real bad.

Noah Spence is another with grade issues as well.

VegasEagle
Varsity

Post by VegasEagle »

peake wrote:Good pickups.

BTW, Pittman is a grade issues kid. I don't know if he will have good enough grades to get in OSU, remember that. Wanted to verbal to UM and his grades were real bad.

This is not good but im sure they will be able to squeak these kids by

28Buck
Freshman Team

Post by 28Buck »

Also got a 150% confirmation from Brionte Dunn that he is staying with Ohio State. Michigan was really going after him hard and probably still will up until signing day.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

nope moving on. Already offered a rb out of Indianapolis.

WitnessProtection
All Conference

Post by WitnessProtection »

VegasEagle wrote:
peake wrote:Good pickups.

This is not good but im sure they will be able to squeak these kids by
Red shirt, academic probation for a year, creative class scheduling, tutors, play in 2013.

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

Just met a young man who currently plays for the Bengals. After graduating from high school in New York, went to a prep school for a year (even though his grades and test scores were good enough to qualify at Duke) to better prepare himself for college, played 4 years at Duke-starting for 3- graduated with a double major, and is in his 2nd year with the Bengals. If the guys a player, he'll make going to a prep school work. Eddie George did.

thechosenone
Varsity

Post by thechosenone »

If all pans out and these players do come to osu. the defence line will be NASTY in a couple years

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Dubs,

Can I take Meyers lack of recruiting the best TE's in Ohio as a sign they are not interested in using tight ends in his offense? There are probably four really good TE's in Ohio, not one has heard from Meyer.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

TE was very valuable in his offense at UF, and he has a stud this year in Stoneburner.

I would expect him to be after TEs, but I imagine they'll be more of the "big WR" type and not the blocking guys we've chased before.

I think he is picking his battles in his short time, I'd imagine he'll seek good TE prospects in the future.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

We all saw how well the vest used his tight ends. Evidence - Jake Ballard with the Giants. How many people even knew he went to Ohio State until they started hearing his name on Sunday.

I hope that Urban won't make that same mistake. Pretty sure he won't.

LoganElm_grad09
Varsity

Post by LoganElm_grad09 »

I hope he doesn't make friends with Michigan; it'd be nice to see the rivalry add some spice and turn into the game it's meant to be.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Any word on the big lineman from Cleveland that is headed to Wisconsin, but has be told on sports talk radio that he is now thinking about heading to Ohio Stae.

Sorry the name escapes me at this time.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

Kyle Dodson.
He's taking a visit to Auburn on Saturday.

He just had an in home visit from OSU, that by his words "went great!!"

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Steely Dan wrote:We all saw how well the vest used his tight ends. Evidence - Jake Ballard with the Giants. How many people even knew he went to Ohio State until they started hearing his name on Sunday.

I hope that Urban won't make that same mistake. Pretty sure he won't.

During Meyer's first press conference he mentioned instituting a Power I Spread style offense. One of the keys to that offense is having a TE that can run block as well as have a decent set of hands. IMO the TE position was very much under used this year at OSU, even with the lack of experienced WR's we had.

Hopefully Meyer will get the TE involved as much as the WR's next year.

GoBuckeyes2786
Varsity

Post by GoBuckeyes2786 »

Read earlier that fickell interviewed for the Pitt head coaching job. Anyone have any additional info on this?

VegasEagle
Varsity

Post by VegasEagle »

GoBuckeyes2786 wrote:Read earlier that fickell interviewed for the Pitt head coaching job. Anyone have any additional info on this?
Hmmmmm we might not ha a DC after all!!!

Return to “College Sports”