2019-20 Ohio State Buckeyes Men's Basketball

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF
Posts: 10819
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:34 pm

Re: 2019-20 Ohio State Buckeyes Men's Basketball

Post by Chieftain2009 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:19 am

VetteMan wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:14 pm
Well the Buckeyes got there head above the water at least for a short time tonight, as they were able to beat Nebraska 80-68, witch just happens to be one of the worst teams in the Big 10. Still a long way to go in the Big 10 season, I'm still not sure that they will be able to compete with the better teams in the Big 10 night in and night out.
OSU has shown that they can compete with and beat anyone! But....they have also shown that they could potentially lose to most teams in the conference. They have the potential to be one of the best teams in the nation, but they just flat out don't play consistent enough. Even the 80-68 victory over Nebraska was less than impressive.



Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF
Posts: 10819
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:34 pm

Re: 2019-20 Ohio State Buckeyes Men's Basketball

Post by Chieftain2009 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:23 am

The Buckeyes finally got another one in the W column last night, as they defeated visiting Nebraska 80-68. OSU led by 13 at half, but the Huskers were able to cut that deficit by one point by the end of the game. CJ Walker led the Buckeyes with 18 points, while Kaleb Wesson posted a 13 point and 14 rebound double-double. The Buckeye scoring attack was very balanced, as 6 different players scored in double digits. Thorir Thorbjarnarso led the Nebraska effort with 15 points.

Next up, Ohio State will face a solid Penn State squad for the second time this season, on Saturday at noon.



OHHS old timer
SEOP
Posts: 4132
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:27 pm
Location: margaritaville

Re: 2019-20 Ohio State Buckeyes Men's Basketball

Post by OHHS old timer » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:00 pm

Bucks may be playing in the 8v9 game of Big Dance. Just not seeing hustle...strong D, etc.

CJ Walker was in the doghouse down here in Tallahassee as well. He has the ability and played well in a few games for Coach Hamilton...just lacking somewhat in discipline and self-motivation.

Bottom line...in my opinion...Buckeyes need an intervention or this season will go down the tubes.


If you ain't giving, you ain't living!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ

VetteMan
SEOP
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:58 pm

Re: 2019-20 Ohio State Buckeyes Men's Basketball

Post by VetteMan » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:07 pm

OHHS old timer wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:00 pm
Bucks may be playing in the 8v9 game of Big Dance. Just not seeing hustle...strong D, etc.

CJ Walker was in the doghouse down here in Tallahassee as well. He has the ability and played well in a few games for Coach Hamilton...just lacking somewhat in discipline and self-motivation.

Bottom line...in my opinion...Buckeyes need an intervention or this season will go down the tubes.
When your big man in the starting lineup would rather play outside than inside, where it does get rather physical at times, I don't even know whether intervention would be enough to get this program back on track ? To me Kaleb Wesson is only concerned about one thing, to try to show the NBA scouts that he can shoot the ball well enough from the outside, to be able to have one of the NBA teams be interested enough to draft him. He most certainly is not physical enough at this time, to be able to play center in the NBA. I think he maybe should be thinking more about playing overseas, rather than the NBA. Also you throw in the fact that 2 of your starters were suspended for the past game, is this just for 1 game, or is this just the start of something yet to come ?



VetteMan
SEOP
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:58 pm

Re: 2019-20 Ohio State Buckeyes Men's Basketball

Post by VetteMan » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:36 pm

I really hope that I'm wrong, but I just don't see with the way they are playing right now, to be able to come out of Penn State with a victory. I sure hope that I can come on here and say just how wrong I was.



OHHS old timer
SEOP
Posts: 4132
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:27 pm
Location: margaritaville

Re: 2019-20 Ohio State Buckeyes Men's Basketball

Post by OHHS old timer » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:03 pm

VetteMan wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:36 pm
I really hope that I'm wrong, but I just don't see with the way they are playing right now, to be able to come out of Penn State with a victory. I sure hope that I can come on here and say just how wrong I was.
You are correct, VetteMan. Buckeyes are stinking up the place


If you ain't giving, you ain't living!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ

VetteMan
SEOP
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:58 pm

Re: 2019-20 Ohio State Buckeyes Men's Basketball

Post by VetteMan » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:10 pm

It doesn't seem to be getting any better for the Buckeyes as they got blasted 90-76 by Penn State earlier today.After beating some pretty good teams early in the season, they don't even resemble the team that we watched back then.



Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF
Posts: 10819
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:34 pm

Re: 2019-20 Ohio State Buckeyes Men's Basketball

Post by Chieftain2009 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:12 pm

Next up, Ohio State will host Minnesota next Thursday. Maybe they'll be able to pull out a much needed victory.



VetteMan
SEOP
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:58 pm

Re: 2019-20 Ohio State Buckeyes Men's Basketball

Post by VetteMan » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:15 pm

Chieftain2009 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:12 pm
Next up, Ohio State will host Minnesota next Thursday. Maybe they'll be able to pull out a much needed victory.
If I'm not mistaken, Minnesota was the first team to beat the Buckeyes this season. I think they also did it in a rather convincing fashion, and it has been going downhill ever since.



User avatar
dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Posts: 8353
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:39 am
Location: On the road making sales!

Re: 2019-20 Ohio State Buckeyes Men's Basketball

Post by dazed&confused » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:59 pm

I don't know what to make of this team. It seems to be suffering from a lack of confidence. If they come out, are physical and wax the Gophers at home, can they find the swagger they had earlier? We'll see.



VetteMan
SEOP
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:58 pm

Re: 2019-20 Ohio State Buckeyes Men's Basketball

Post by VetteMan » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:38 am

dazed&confused wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:59 pm
I don't know what to make of this team. It seems to be suffering from a lack of confidence. If they come out, are physical and wax the Gophers at home, can they find the swagger they had earlier? We'll see.
I'm not sure that they can play physical , there biggest players are not what I would describe as being physical at all. If they don't find there true identity pretty soon, I'm afraid it's just going to be hit and miss the rest of the season.



VetteMan
SEOP
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:58 pm

Re: 2019-20 Ohio State Buckeyes Men's Basketball

Post by VetteMan » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:30 pm

Buckeyes lose again 62-59 to Minnesota. This nightmare of a season continues for the Scarlet @ Gray.



Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF
Posts: 10819
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:34 pm

Re: 2019-20 Ohio State Buckeyes Men's Basketball

Post by Chieftain2009 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:17 pm

Buckeyes are a sinking ship right now. I thought they had that game won, but ended up losing.

Next up, Ohio State plays at Northwestern on Sunday, in a game they have no excuse losing.



VetteMan
SEOP
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:58 pm

Re: 2019-20 Ohio State Buckeyes Men's Basketball

Post by VetteMan » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:28 pm

Even if they somehow manage to beat poor old morbid Northwestern, there's something wrong about the makeup on this team. This team has so many unforced turnovers at this stage of the season, and it doesn't seem to faze them one bit. They can talk about how they are going to do this and do that, when in fact they don't do anything different at all. I hope I'm wrong, but I think this season as about a wash anyway, I just don't see them being able to turn things around.



OHHS old timer
SEOP
Posts: 4132
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:27 pm
Location: margaritaville

Re: 2019-20 Ohio State Buckeyes Men's Basketball

Post by OHHS old timer » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:35 pm

As of Friday...

The bracketology guys have the Buckeyes on the down side. Joe Lunardi of ESPN has them as a 7 seed. The guys at CBS sports and SB Nation have them at the 10 seed.

They all agree that it is make or break time. I think you guys would agree.

My Noles are at the 3 seed line on 2 of the 3 sites.

Illinois....who woulda thunk it? They just beat Bichigan 64-62 on a fall away jumper with 0.5 secs left to complete the sweep. They are currently your leader...Sparty plays tomorrow.

Gonna be a CRAZY month coming up!!!


If you ain't giving, you ain't living!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ

VetteMan
SEOP
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:58 pm

Re: 2019-20 Ohio State Buckeyes Men's Basketball

Post by VetteMan » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:01 pm

If anyone thinks that the Buckeyes are back because they were able to beat the worst team in the Big 10, all I can say is we are still in for a rude awakening. Even though they won 71-59 over Northwestern, this did not prove anything to me. Win the next game at home over Indiana, and then win 3 out of your next 4 games over Big 10 teams, and then I might think that they have turned the corner, and still may be able to salvage the season.



Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF
Posts: 10819
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:34 pm

Re: 2019-20 Ohio State Buckeyes Men's Basketball

Post by Chieftain2009 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:17 pm

VetteMan wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:01 pm
If anyone thinks that the Buckeyes are back because they were able to beat the worst team in the Big 10, all I can say is we are still in for a rude awakening. Even though they won 71-59 over Northwestern, this did not prove anything to me. Win the next game at home over Indiana, and then win 3 out of your next 4 games over Big 10 teams, and then I might think that they have turned the corner, and still may be able to salvage the season.
You said it. Beating a poor team by 12 points is not impressive, especially after losing so many games lately. This might stop the bleeding a little bit, but by no means is everything fixed.



Omega
SEO
Posts: 2620
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:45 pm
Location: UpState SC

Re: 2019-20 Ohio State Buckeyes Men's Basketball

Post by Omega » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:13 am

VetteMan wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:28 pm
Even if they somehow manage to beat poor old morbid Northwestern, there's something wrong about the makeup on this team. This team has so many unforced turnovers at this stage of the season, and it doesn't seem to faze them one bit. They can talk about how they are going to do this and do that, when in fact they don't do anything different at all. I hope I'm wrong, but I think this season as about a wash anyway, I just don't see them being able to turn things around.
Prophetic thought VM. Throw in the two earlier suspensions, and it would seem that OSU's basketball woes may be centered on lack of focus:



The best two years of my life were spent in the third grade.

User avatar
dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Posts: 8353
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:39 am
Location: On the road making sales!

Re: 2019-20 Ohio State Buckeyes Men's Basketball

Post by dazed&confused » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:10 am

18 and 19 year old kids. They aren't all focused killers. Seems the chemistry in the locker room isn't great right now.



VetteMan
SEOP
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:58 pm

Re: 2019-20 Ohio State Buckeyes Men's Basketball

Post by VetteMan » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:02 pm

Not in any way am I trying to make light of this in anyway, and if he is having problems, lets hope he can get the help that he needs going forward. I'm not saying this, but a few people even think that even if he does get help, that it's possible that he might seek to transfer to another school closer to home. A lot of people and families are affected with this problem at different times, but for whatever reason at times, we just don't seem to want to talk about it. After all, basketball is just a game, lets hope everything turns out okay for everyone involved.



Post Reply

Return to “College Sports”