2019-20 Ohio State Buckeyes Men's Basketball

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: 2019-20 Ohio State Buckeyes Men's Basketball

Post by VetteMan »

As I said in an earlier post concerning the Transfer Portal, sometimes it giveth and other times it taketh away. Not really good news today, as Luther Muhammad the sophomore starting guard for the Buckeyes has announced that he is entering the Transfer Portal. This may have taken a lot of the fans by surprise, as he would probably have been a starter again, but also was considered to be maybe the best defensive player on the team. I guess with how easy it is now to be able to transfer, and not have to sit out a year in a lot of the cases, this is just how it's going to be in college sports from here on out. I'm not saying that this is the case at all in this situation, but for some of these kids, when 99% of the time they were the star on there high school team, and then come to college and all of a sudden they see there stats and playing time diminish somewhat, it's just easier to move on and hope the grass is greener elsewhere. Being that he still has 2 seasons yet to play, and is not a graduate transfer, I'm not sure whether or not he will have to sit out a year. The NCAA seemed to be changing the rules almost each and every day as far as eligibility is concerned, and maybe that's the way it should be. It will interesting to see if the Buckeyes now look to bring in another Graduate transfer this year.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

VetteMan wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:20 pm As I said in an earlier post concerning the Transfer Portal, sometimes it giveth and other times it taketh away. Not really good news today, as Luther Muhammad the sophomore starting guard for the Buckeyes has announced that he is entering the Transfer Portal. This may have taken a lot of the fans by surprise, as he would probably have been a starter again, but also was considered to be maybe the best defensive player on the team. I guess with how easy it is now to be able to transfer, and not have to sit out a year in a lot of the cases, this is just how it's going to be in college sports from here on out. I'm not saying that this is the case at all in this situation, but for some of these kids, when 99% of the time they were the star on there high school team, and then come to college and all of a sudden they see there stats and playing time diminish somewhat, it's just easier to move on and hope the grass is greener elsewhere. Being that he still has 2 seasons yet to play, and is not a graduate transfer, I'm not sure whether or not he will have to sit out a year. The NCAA seemed to be changing the rules almost each and every day as far as eligibility is concerned, and maybe that's the way it should be. It will interesting to see if the Buckeyes now look to bring in another Graduate transfer this year.
I had not heard that before reading your post. That's really bad news for the Buckeyes. Let's hope they can replace him either through recruiting or with someone they already have.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Well the Buckeyes didn't wait very long as far as losing Luther Muhammad to the Transfer Portal. Today they got a commitment from Jimmy Sotos', a 6'3" point guard from Bucknell. Unless the Buckeyes seek a waiver from the NCAA, in trying to get him to be able to play this coming season, he will probably sit out this season and then be able to play his Senior season in 2021-2022. Even though he will no doubt be facing a lot tougher teams than what he has faced at Bucknell, the Buckeyes have had there eye on him for some time now. I don't think that the Buckeyes are done even as we speak, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they maybe now even look to possibly even bring in another Graduate Transfer, that would be able to play this coming season. Sotos' highlights look pretty good, but as we said before, he will have to play against a lot tougher teams in the Big 10 than what he has faced in the Ivy league.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

VetteMan wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:28 pm Well the Buckeyes didn't wait very long as far as losing Luther Muhammad to the Transfer Portal. Today they got a commitment from Jimmy Sotos', a 6'3" point guard from Bucknell. Unless the Buckeyes seek a waiver from the NCAA, in trying to get him to be able to play this coming season, he will probably sit out this season and then be able to play his Senior season in 2021-2022. Even though he will no doubt be facing a lot tougher teams than what he has faced at Bucknell, the Buckeyes have had there eye on him for some time now. I don't think that the Buckeyes are done even as we speak, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they maybe now even look to possibly even bring in another Graduate Transfer, that would be able to play this coming season. Sotos' highlights look pretty good, but as we said before, he will have to play against a lot tougher teams in the Big 10 than what he has faced in the Ivy league.
I maybe spoke a little quick as far as Bucknell and being in the Ivy league is concerned, as I'm not really sure if they are even in the Ivy league.

3sUp
Varsity

Post by 3sUp »

Bucknell is not in the Ivy League, although the school itself is pretty prestigious. They are in the Patriot League with members like Army, Navy, Colgate, Holy Cross, and Lehigh.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

3sUp wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:52 pm Bucknell is not in the Ivy League, although the school itself is pretty prestigious. They are in the Patriot League with members like Army, Navy, Colgate, Holy Cross, and Lehigh.
Thanks, I was afraid that I might have spoke too soon.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

I said in an earlier post a few days ago that I thought that the Buckeyes might still try to get another Graduate Transfer to commit for this next upcoming season, so as to be able to fill out it's roster. Well I just read where Able Porter, a 6'3" point guard from Utah State has decided to transfer to OSU, he will be a Senior this upcoming season and will be able to play this next season. He has started at Point guard for the past couple seasons for Utah State, and even though he probably will not start for the Buckeyes, he should give them a little more depth especially at the guard position.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Just read yesterday that Ex Buckeye D.J. Carton has decided to transfer to Marquette University. He may possibly have to sit out the 2020-2021 season, and then will have 3 seasons of eligibility left. Even though he only played one season for the Buckeyes, I thought that he had the chance to be one of the best offensive players that the Buckeyes have had for a few seasons. Also that Luther Muhammad the Ex Buckeye that entered the Transfer Portal a few days ago, has decided to transfer to Arizona State. I think that Muhammad still has 2 years of eligibility left to play, and may have to sit out 1 year unless he is granted a waiver to be able to play this upcoming season.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

The Buckeyes Head Coach Chris Holtmann just announced that it's official, that Utah State guard Abel Porter is now a Buckeye, and will be eligible to play this upcoming season. He will be a Senior this year and should add some very good depth especially at the point guard position. Coach Holtmann also announced that Bucknell guard Jimmy Sotos is also now officiality a Buckeye, and while he is also a point guard, he will sit out this upcoming season, but will then play his Senior year the following season. Unless an another player from this years roster decides to transfer, this should pretty much fill out the roster for this upcoming season.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Today the Buckeyes got there 1st commitment for the class of 2022, when 6'3" Sophomore Bowen Hardman from Cincinnati Princeton commited to the Buckeyes. He is viewed as one of the top in state prospects in the 2022 cycle. He is known as a knock down shooter, and was being recruited pretty heavenly by Cincinnati, Xavier, Dayton and Ohio University. Some of the people seem to think that by the time he gets to OSU, that he very well may be closer to 6'5".

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Well both of the Wesson brothers have signed with an agent. Andre who has already graduated probably has a very slim chance to ever play in the NBA, but maybe might have a chance to play overseas. Kaleb on the other hand could still change his mind being that he is a Junior, and still return to the Buckeyes for his Senior year. Most of the experts project him to possibly be a borderline 2nd Rd draft pick. Because of the Virus, no definite date has yet been set as to when he would have to decide if he wanted to return for his Senior year. I think that his mind is already made up, and that he will stay in the draft regardless. Even if he doesn't get drafted, he most certainly will probably have a chance to go abroad and play.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

The Buckeyes got some welcome news today as C.J.Walker has withdrawn his name from the NBA draft, and will return to the Buckeyes for his Senior season. He started 29 out of 31 games for the Buckeyes as there starting point guard in the 2019-2020 season, after sitting out the 2018-2019 season following his transfer from Florida State. After D.J.Carton left the team during the season with his mental health problems, Walker really stepped up his game and played very well from midseason on. By entering his name into the draft, he was able to be evaluated and still be able to withdraw his name by a certain date, and be able to still return for his Senior year. The NBA may be quite a reach for him, but if that doesn't work out for him, he very well could find a team overseas to play for.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

VetteMan wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:53 pm The Buckeyes got some welcome news today as C.J.Walker has withdrawn his name from the NBA draft, and will return to the Buckeyes for his Senior season. He started 29 out of 31 games for the Buckeyes as there starting point guard in the 2019-2020 season, after sitting out the 2018-2019 season following his transfer from Florida State. After D.J.Carton left the team during the season with his mental health problems, Walker really stepped up his game and played very well from midseason on. By entering his name into the draft, he was able to be evaluated and still be able to withdraw his name by a certain date, and be able to still return for his Senior year. The NBA may be quite a reach for him, but if that doesn't work out for him, he very well could find a team overseas to play for.
This is great news for the Buckeyes.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Chieftain2009 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:58 pm
VetteMan wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:53 pm The Buckeyes got some welcome news today as C.J.Walker has withdrawn his name from the NBA draft, and will return to the Buckeyes for his Senior season. He started 29 out of 31 games for the Buckeyes as there starting point guard in the 2019-2020 season, after sitting out the 2018-2019 season following his transfer from Florida State. After D.J.Carton left the team during the season with his mental health problems, Walker really stepped up his game and played very well from midseason on. By entering his name into the draft, he was able to be evaluated and still be able to withdraw his name by a certain date, and be able to still return for his Senior year. The NBA may be quite a reach for him, but if that doesn't work out for him, he very well could find a team overseas to play for.
This is great news for the Buckeyes.
I completely agree with you, they had very little experience coming back especially at the point guard position.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

VetteMan wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:54 am Just read yesterday that Ex Buckeye D.J. Carton has decided to transfer to Marquette University. He may possibly have to sit out the 2020-2021 season, and then will have 3 seasons of eligibility left. Even though he only played one season for the Buckeyes, I thought that he had the chance to be one of the best offensive players that the Buckeyes have had for a few seasons. Also that Luther Muhammad the Ex Buckeye that entered the Transfer Portal a few days ago, has decided to transfer to Arizona State. I think that Muhammad still has 2 years of eligibility left to play, and may have to sit out 1 year unless he is granted a waiver to be able to play this upcoming season.
Not quite 2 months ago most of us Buckeye fans were disappointed to read where D.J. Carton had decided to transfer out of Ohio State. Even though he only played about half of the season, leaving the team supposedly because of some Mental Health issues, it was considered a pretty big loss as no doubt he was one of the more talented offensive players on the team. Well just saw where he posted on Twitter that he had been pushed out of the program etc. Myself, I'm just a little skeptical in thinking that he would have been forced to leave the program, that there may be more to the story than what we have been told. There were even some rumors floating around that while he was away from the team, that an NCAA infraction may have occurred, and that may have been a reason for him leaving the program. I always found it a little strange that when he was away from the team, that he decided to come back to OSU and start taking classes again, yet not come back and be a part of the team in anyway shape or form at all. In the past even when a player might have been suspended for what ever reason, they would still have been with the team, and in most cases sitting on the bench. Maybe someday we will find out really what did happen ?

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

VetteMan wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:11 pm
VetteMan wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:22 pm Well, I just got my wish in that Seth Towns has decided to transfer to the Buckeyes. If his knee is okay after the ACL injury, I think he will really be a good fit for the Buckeyes.
After some really good news last night, in that Seth Towns has decided to commit to the Buckeyes for 2 years, and after watching some of his highlights, if he can remain healthy I really believe that he will be a great addition. Now today after seeing that Alonzo Gaffney has decided to leave OSU after his freshman year, even though I think a lot of people were more or less looking for this to happen, whether or not we know the real reason probably really doesn't matter. I don't believe that he is looking to transfer to another school, but in fact may be exploring his Pro options. Being 6'9', I'm sure that he will probably be given a chance somewhere, maybe even overseas to prove that the potential is there. If Kaleb Wesson leaves this year after his Junior year, witch a lot of people think that he will, that might mean that the Buckeyes would try to bring in another graduate transfer, at either the center position or another point guard.
Just read where former Ohio State Forward Alonzo Gaffney has decided to sign with Junior College Northwest Florida State College. Even though Gaffney was a 5-Star recruit, and the top ranked recruit in the State of Ohio in the 2019 cycle, he was just never able to crack the regular rotation with the Buckeyes, and even saw his playing time decrease as the season went on. He's 6'9", and should make and immediate contribution to the Northwest Florida State team.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

VetteMan wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:56 pm
VetteMan wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:54 am Just read yesterday that Ex Buckeye D.J. Carton has decided to transfer to Marquette University. He may possibly have to sit out the 2020-2021 season, and then will have 3 seasons of eligibility left. Even though he only played one season for the Buckeyes, I thought that he had the chance to be one of the best offensive players that the Buckeyes have had for a few seasons. Also that Luther Muhammad the Ex Buckeye that entered the Transfer Portal a few days ago, has decided to transfer to Arizona State. I think that Muhammad still has 2 years of eligibility left to play, and may have to sit out 1 year unless he is granted a waiver to be able to play this upcoming season.
Not quite 2 months ago most of us Buckeye fans were disappointed to read where D.J. Carton had decided to transfer out of Ohio State. Even though he only played about half of the season, leaving the team supposedly because of some Mental Health issues, it was considered a pretty big loss as no doubt he was one of the more talented offensive players on the team. Well just saw where he posted on Twitter that he had been pushed out of the program etc. Myself, I'm just a little skeptical in thinking that he would have been forced to leave the program, that there may be more to the story than what we have been told. There were even some rumors floating around that while he was away from the team, that an NCAA infraction may have occurred, and that may have been a reason for him leaving the program. I always found it a little strange that when he was away from the team, that he decided to come back to OSU and start taking classes again, yet not come back and be a part of the team in anyway shape or form at all. In the past even when a player might have been suspended for what ever reason, they would still have been with the team, and in most cases sitting on the bench. Maybe someday we will find out really what did happen ?
Ex Buckeye D.J. Carton did not have to wait very long, as today he was granted a waiver and will be immediately eligible to play next season at Marquette University. He's quite a basketball talent, and for whatever the real reason might be that he decided to leave the Buckeyes, sometimes things just don't fit and it's better for both parties to just move on.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Even though this is not about present Ohio State players, former Buckeye Deshaun Thomas has joined the Ohio State Alumni TBT team Carmen's Crew. Not only does Thomas give the team some much needed versatility on the wing, but a good fit personally, as he's played with every other Ohio State player on the roster. Thomas has played all over Europe the past few seasons, and in 2019 led his team to the Championship. He will be reunited with former Buckeyes AAron Craft, Jon Diebler, William Buford, David Lighty, Lenzelle Smith Jr, Dallas Lauderdale, along with coaches Jared Sullinger and Leon Rodgers. Also Jeff Gibbs, a very good athlete from Otterbein, as well as Demetri McCamey an Illinois Alum, and a new addition in 6'9" power forward Pape Malik Dime, a teammate of Thomas the past couple seasons over in Greese, who played his college ball at University of Washington. It will be a 24 team tournament starting on July 4th, with all games being played at Nationwide Arena. It's a 2 million dollar winner take all, and as the defending Champion's, Carmen's Crew is the #1 seeded team in the tournament. I really wish that Jared Sullinger was suited up and playing, rather than just coaching.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

VetteMan wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:03 pm Even though this is not about present Ohio State players, former Buckeye Deshaun Thomas has joined the Ohio State Alumni TBT team Carmen's Crew. Not only does Thomas give the team some much needed versatility on the wing, but a good fit personally, as he's played with every other Ohio State player on the roster. Thomas has played all over Europe the past few seasons, and in 2019 led his team to the Championship. He will be reunited with former Buckeyes AAron Craft, Jon Diebler, William Buford, David Lighty, Lenzelle Smith Jr, Dallas Lauderdale, along with coaches Jared Sullinger and Leon Rodgers. Also Jeff Gibbs, a very good athlete from Otterbein, as well as Demetri McCamey an Illinois Alum, and a new addition in 6'9" power forward Pape Malik Dime, a teammate of Thomas the past couple seasons over in Greese, who played his college ball at University of Washington. It will be a 24 team tournament starting on July 4th, with all games being played at Nationwide Arena. It's a 2 million dollar winner take all, and as the defending Champion's, Carmen's Crew is the #1 seeded team in the tournament. I really wish that Jared Sullinger was suited up and playing, rather than just coaching.
[/q
After posting earlier about some of the former Buckeye basketball players (7) playing for Carmens Crew in the Upcoming TBT alumni tournament, I think it would only be fair to mention the 2nd Buckeye alumni team that will also be playing. The other team ( BIG X ) has a few ex players including, Andrew Dakich, C.J. Jackson, Keyshawn Woods, and just recently added JeaSean Tate. Kaleb and Andrew Wesson had earlier been on the roster, but for whatever reason have decided not to play. BIG X is the #9 seed and will play the Jackson Tenn. Underdawgs on July 4th.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

After talking about the 2nd Buckeye alumni team ( BIG X ) that will be playing in the TBT tournament, ( 2 million dollar winner take all ) it now appears as if there is a third alumni team from Ohio, the Red Scare from Dayton, Ohio. Today this team added Ex Buckeye Trevor Thompson, a 6' 11" big man that played for the Buckeyes for 2 years after transferring to OSU from Virginia Tech. The Red Scare has a 1st Rd. bye, and would have to play BIG X who would have to win it's opening game to set up this matchup. Thompson would probably be the only Ex Buckeye on Red Scare, as I think they are mostly Ex Dayton alumni.

Return to “College Sports”