2019-20 Ohio State Buckeyes Men's Basketball

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: 2019-20 Ohio State Buckeyes Men's Basketball

Post by VetteMan »

VetteMan wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:47 pm After talking about the 2nd Buckeye alumni team ( BIG X ) that will be playing in the TBT tournament, ( 2 million dollar winner take all ) it now appears as if there is a third alumni team from Ohio, the Red Scare from Dayton, Ohio. Today this team added Ex Buckeye Trevor Thompson, a 6' 11" big man that played for the Buckeyes for 2 years after transferring to OSU from Virginia Tech. The Red Scare has a 1st Rd. bye, and would have to play BIG X who would have to win it's opening game to set up this matchup. Thompson would probably be the only Ex Buckeye on Red Scare, as I think they are mostly Ex Dayton alumni.
After reading earlier about BIG X the 2nd Alumni team from Ohio that had been selected to play in the TBT, ( The Basketball Tournament ) it has been reported that its roster has possibly been depleted somewhat by the fact that both Keshaun Woods, and DeShawn Tate both have earlier tested positive for Coron-19. Woods is most certainly out for the tournament, while Tate is awaiting another test to see if he is cleared to play this coming weekend. BIG X had earlier lost both brothers, Kaleb and Andre Wesson when they both had decided to withdraw from the tournament. Unless Tate is cleared to be able to play, BIG X will be down to only 2 Ex Buckeyes, Andrew Dakich and C.J. Jackson for the 2 million dollar winner take all tournament.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

VetteMan wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:48 pm
VetteMan wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:47 pm After talking about the 2nd Buckeye alumni team ( BIG X ) that will be playing in the TBT tournament, ( 2 million dollar winner take all ) it now appears as if there is a third alumni team from Ohio, the Red Scare from Dayton, Ohio. Today this team added Ex Buckeye Trevor Thompson, a 6' 11" big man that played for the Buckeyes for 2 years after transferring to OSU from Virginia Tech. The Red Scare has a 1st Rd. bye, and would have to play BIG X who would have to win it's opening game to set up this matchup. Thompson would probably be the only Ex Buckeye on Red Scare, as I think they are mostly Ex Dayton alumni.
After reading earlier about BIG X the 2nd Alumni team from Ohio that had been selected to play in the TBT, ( The Basketball Tournament ) it has been reported that its roster has possibly been depleted somewhat by the fact that both Keshaun Woods, and DeShawn Tate both have earlier tested positive for Coron-19. Woods is most certainly out for the tournament, while Tate is awaiting another test to see if he is cleared to play this coming weekend. BIG X had earlier lost both brothers, Kaleb and Andre Wesson when they both had decided to withdraw from the tournament. Unless Tate is cleared to be able to play, BIG X will be down to only 2 Ex Buckeyes, Andrew Dakich and C.J. Jackson for the 2 million dollar winner take all tournament.
In a very early report, just saw where BIG X defeated D2, 79-74 behind C.J. Jackson's game winner. BIG X will now advance to the 2nd Rd. of The Basketball Tournament. Not sure how many Buckeyes were available to play in the game, hope to have some details later on.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

As a little follow up on this 1st game, BIG X was supposed to face Jackson Tenn. Underdawgs in there 1st Rd. game, but on Wednesday of this past week, Jackson Tenn. had a player or 2 test positive for Covid-19, and they therefore had to withdraw from the tournament, and were replaced by D2. I'm not really sure where D-2 is from.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

I have posted all along that The Basketball Tournament is a 2 million dollar winner take all tournament. In the past years when the Tournament consisted of 60 some teams, I'm still pretty sure that it was a 2 million dollar winner take all. In the past with that many teams involved, the 1st and 2nd Rd games were held at different locations around the country, whereas because of the Covid-19, the tournament was scaled back to 24 teams, plus all the games are to be played at Nationwide Arena in downtown Columbus. After seeing some of the 1st Rd games that were played yesterday, I then read where it's a 1 million dollar winner take all tournament. Anyhow, I must have been wrong when I said that it was a 2 million dollar purse.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

I realize all along that I could have and maybe should have posted about this basketball tournament under the Pro Sports forum, but I'm to far into it to change now. As far as I'm concerned, it would be a perfect ending if Ex Buckeye AAron Craft could lead his Carmen's Crew basketball team to a repeat Championship in The Basketball Tournament in the next few days. It will certainly not be an easy task, as there are some outstanding teams in this tournament. If everything goes right, Craft's basketball career could last 7 more days, ending with the TBT title game on July 14th. To repeat as Champions, Carmen;s Crew would have to win 3 games, beginning with a match-up against House of Paign on Wednesday. Craft has already been accepted into Ohio State College of Medicine and plans to give up basketball in order to become a physician. I know that I have always enjoyed watching AAron Craft play the game of basketball, very few have ever played the game with any more effort than he has.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

VetteMan wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:22 pm I have posted all along that The Basketball Tournament is a 2 million dollar winner take all tournament. In the past years when the Tournament consisted of 60 some teams, I'm still pretty sure that it was a 2 million dollar winner take all. In the past with that many teams involved, the 1st and 2nd Rd games were held at different locations around the country, whereas because of the Covid-19, the tournament was scaled back to 24 teams, plus all the games are to be played at Nationwide Arena in downtown Columbus. After seeing some of the 1st Rd games that were played yesterday, I then read where it's a 1 million dollar winner take all tournament. Anyhow, I must have been wrong when I said that it was a 2 million dollar purse.
I did a little research on The Basketball Tournament ( TBT ) over the past 4 or 5 years, up until this year it had consisted of 64 teams from all parts of the USA. Overseas Elite had won the tournament I think 4 straight years, had never suffered a defeat until Carmen's Crew beat them last year in the Semi Finals, on the way to winning the Championship. Elite has added a couple Ex NBA players to an all ready stacked lineup, and along with the Marquette Alumni team will be a handful for any team in the tournament. Up until this year when the tournament was scaled back to 24 teams, ( Covid-19 ) it had always been a 2 million dollar winner take all. This year with only 24 teams, it is a 1 million dollar take all.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Future Ohio State basketball player Meechie Johnson, a 2021 commit for the Buckeyes, has decided that he is coming back home for his Senior year. Johnson's uncle Sonny Johnson, is the Head Coach at Garfield Height's High School on the east side of Cleveland. He had played for his uncle his freshman and sophomore years, but then went to International Sports Academy for his Junior year. He had a knee injury, and missed most of his junior year. He announced several weeks ago that he would not be returning to ISA for the upcoming academic year. It's believed that he will be immediately eligible under OHSAA rules to be able to compete this school year.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

I can make every excuse in the book, but the bottom line was the fact that House of Paign, an alumni team from University of Illinois just outplayed Carmen's Crew for a big part of the game. House of Paign won the game 76-68, to advance onward to play Red Scare, a mostly alumni team from University of Dayton. Even though I hate to admit it, Carmen's Crew's players are a little older than 90 percent of the other teams players, and this just sounds like an excuse for losing. Carmen's fell behind by 11 pts in the 1st Qtr, only to come back and lead by 5 pts at halftime. They led by 8 or 9 pts at one time in the 3rd Qtr, only to lose that lead and trail starting the 4th Qtr. They were behind by 1 pt with a little over 4 min to go, and then missed a bunny which would have given them the lead, and from that point on it was all downhill. I won't be surprised if Overseas Elite wins the tournament, and reclaims the title that they held for at least 4 straight years.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Ohio State AD Gene Smith has stated he doubts OSU basketball will play again at St. Johns Arena.. While St. Johns offers a great game atmosphere, it is decrepit in terms of amenities as compared to the Schott. Disuse will mean the wrecking ball sooner than later. Despite my fond memories of the arena, the ground it sits on is too valuable to serve as a monument.

https://www.buckeyesports.com/ohio-stat ... ene-smith/

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

I think that this has been talked about for some time in the past, as there have always been a lot of people that were in favor of keeping it. I also have some very good memories of a lot of games that I was able to see over the years.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

There's been No news yet on the Big Ten-ACC Challenge. It's probably hard to imagine it happening given the football decisions, I imagine the Battle4Atlantis is probably also out. At this point in time, anything definite about Ohio State football or basketball related would be something to look forward to.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

VetteMan wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:23 pm I can make every excuse in the book, but the bottom line was the fact that House of Paign, an alumni team from University of Illinois just outplayed Carmen's Crew for a big part of the game. House of Paign won the game 76-68, to advance onward to play Red Scare, a mostly alumni team from University of Dayton. Even though I hate to admit it, Carmen's Crew's players are a little older than 90 percent of the other teams players, and this just sounds like an excuse for losing. Carmen's fell behind by 11 pts in the 1st Qtr, only to come back and lead by 5 pts at halftime. They led by 8 or 9 pts at one time in the 3rd Qtr, only to lose that lead and trail starting the 4th Qtr. They were behind by 1 pt with a little over 4 min to go, and then missed a bunny which would have given them the lead, and from that point on it was all downhill. I won't be surprised if Overseas Elite wins the tournament, and reclaims the title that they held for at least 4 straight years.
The last Ohio State product was eliminated from The Basketball Tournament (TBT) as former center Trevor Thompson and Red Scare were beaten in the semifinals. Red Scare came up short against the Golden Eagles ( Marquette Alumni) by a final score of 79-70. The Golden Eagles were runner-up to Carmen's Crew in last years championship game. They are an outstanding team, and will a hard out for any team left in the tournament. I had picked Overseas Elite to win the tournament, but I think that Sideline Cancer beat Overseas Elite, and will now matchup with the Golden Eagles in the Championship game.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

The Golden Eagles ( Marquette Alumni ) just won The Basketball Tournament TBT 78-73 over Sideline Cancer. It was a very tight well played game throughout. The Golden Eagles were the runner-up last year, losing to Carmen's Crew in the Championship Game. I don't know much about Sideline Cancer, nor do I know where their from. The 1 million dollar winner take all started with 24 teams, cut down from 64 teams in past years due to Covid-19. All the games were played at Nationwide Arena in downtown Columbus, with no fans allowed.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

It was shocking to see Carmen get beat in that first game. After Craft went down it seemed to take the air out of them. Mike Daum was easily the difference maker in that game as he couldn't be stopped. He should be in the NBA if he keeps that up! Diebler was getting torched on defense not helping the cause any.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

cbolt wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:29 am It was shocking to see Carmen get beat in that first game. After Craft went down it seemed to take the air out of them. Mike Daum was easily the difference maker in that game as he couldn't be stopped. He should be in the NBA if he keeps that up! Diebler was getting torched on defense not helping the cause any.
You are spot on with everything you just said, they were ahead when Craft had to leave the game, just didn't seem to be able to seize that momentum again even after he returned. Jon Diebler is a great teammate, who when he is on can light up the gym with his long range shooting, was never known for his defense ( a little lack of speed ) even when playing for the Buckeyes. Agree about Mike Daum, he was the difference maker at critical times of the game, he can beat you ( and he did ) inside or outside either one. I have no idea about Mike Daum's age, but he most certainly seems to have the skill level to play for some NBA team. Also, it seemed as if David Lighty was the lone spark that they were getting on offense throughout the game. It seemed as if Thomas and Buford never got into the flow of the game most of the game. I think going into the game, they were looking for a lot more scoring from Thomas, and that just didn't happen.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

In two days the Buckeyes will find out where their top target in the class of 2021 will be heading. Akron St. Vincent St. Mary 4-star shooting guard, Malaki Branham will be announcing his college choice. The 6'4" senior has been getting recruited pretty heavenly by Louisville, Xavier, and Alabama as well as the Buckeyes. He is the 27th rated player overall, and is the top rated player in the state of Ohio. The Buckeyes have been recruiting him since his freshmen year, and will know pretty soon if their efforts have paid off.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

VetteMan wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:08 pm In two days the Buckeyes will find out where their top target in the class of 2021 will be heading. Akron St. Vincent St. Mary 4-star shooting guard, Malaki Branham will be announcing his college choice. The 6'4" senior has been getting recruited pretty heavenly by Louisville, Xavier, and Alabama as well as the Buckeyes. He is the 27th rated player overall, and is the top rated player in the state of Ohio. The Buckeyes have been recruiting him since his freshmen year, and will know pretty soon if their efforts have paid off.
Four Star shooting guard Malaki Branham has committed to Ohio State. For nearly three years the Ohio State coaching staff has been chasing Malaki Branham, and on Wed. afternoon, the 4-star shooting guard ended his recruitment by announcing a momentous commitment to play for the Buckeyes. Branham, a Columbus native who has lived in Akron since beginning high school, chose the good guys over offers from Marquette, Pittsburg, Baylor, Wake Forest, Florida, Cincinnati, Iowa, and others. Louisville and Xavier were among the schools that were going after him the hardest before falling short in their pursuit, as well as Alabama which made a late push. Ohio State now has the Big 10's top rated 2021 recruiting class, and the 2nd rated class in the nation. Branham now joins an instate-heavy 2021 class, which includes 4-star combo guard Meechie Johnson of Garfield Heights and 4-star power forward Kalen Etzler of Convoy Crestview.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Kalen sure is a lot taller than Uncle Dougie! Lol

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

cbolt wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:32 am Kalen sure is a lot taller than Uncle Dougie! Lol
You are certainly right about that, if I'm not mistaken Doug is the Head boys basketball coach at Convoy Crestview.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Yep he was at Teays Valley the last 14 seasons until coming back home to take the Convoy job this year.

Return to “College Sports”