Scout.com reports Meyer, OSU agree to deal.

ACCBiggz
JV Team

Scout.com reports Meyer, OSU agree to deal.

Post by ACCBiggz »

Just came across my feed: Seven years, $35 million.

ACCBiggz
JV Team

Re: Scout.com reports Meyer, OSU agree to deal.

Post by ACCBiggz »

Should noted: Mike Freeman broke it on Twitter but didn't confirm, no story on Scout.com yet and no credible confirmation about this. However, since Freeman broke it on Twitter and is a credible reporter I felt it worthy of posting even in case it is debunked later.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

I just got the text from an OSU friend.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

It's a rumor that Freeman got from a message board and tweeted.
OSU already has an official response to tweet as "Nothing to the rumor".

I agree with most Buckeye writers immediate reaction to the OSU response as it should read:
"Nothing to it, Right Now!"

It is very likely he will be named the coach, but he won't be officially named to the position or a contract signed until after the NCAA punishment has been made public.

He is not the coach now, and has not signed or agreed to anything Officially, yet.
So as for his tweet being debunked, for now it is, but we can likely chalk this thread up as just an extremely early notice!

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Notice the key word in my post is "Officially".

And the NCAA announcement of punishment is the timeline for both the hiring of the new coach, and the potential exit of the current AD.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Freeman is back peddling so fast on this tweet that he could do the 40 in 4.2 backwards!!!

Kind of funny.

He even said he just retweeted something in his timeline, when in fact his timeline doesn't have that tweet and his original post, while crediting scout.com, has no RT or in reply to tag.

Dude is getting slammed by Buckeye faithful for early no responsibility tweeting, and by anti-Buckeye Meyer supporters for saying what they don't want to hear.

ACCBiggz
JV Team

Post by ACCBiggz »

As I was telling a friend, it wouldn't shock me if the details were being worked out right now for later, quick signing but it'd have shocked me if this was announced during the season let alone before the NCAA sanctions came down as you noted.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

My guess is someone who thinks their inside guy is 100% got bad/very early info and decided to post it on several sites.

It was posted on the discussion threads of Rivals, scout, and Bleacher report for a quick minute.

Mike Freeman thought that it was reliable, but didn't bother confirming with OSU, or even OSU beat guys.
That's the problem with twitter and blog writers, no accountability.

Like you pointed out, and I fully agree, the negotiations are being made now for a later announcement,
but that is not coming while Luke still has to prepare for Penn St and Michigan. OSU isn't going to let it be a distraction to the team for the Michigan game.

Though it wouldn't shock me in a conspiracy kind of way, if the initial message board post came from a PSU or UM poster. But that's just the mental conspiracy side coming out. lol

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

A source I tend to believe most times says that they have multiple sources an they are. "99.7%" sure that Urban has agreed to a deal to become the next coach.

Has agreed doesn't mean will be announced, though it sure is moving quickly.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Update:
It's not official, and no true timetable is set (cough cough, Duke, cough) but you might as well call it a done deal. Still a bit of speculation, not in stone yet, but OSU wants Urban and Urban wants OSU!

I joke about the Duke game, but if the NCAA announces penalty by then, it is highly likely it may happen at halftime.

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

Does that mean that we could see Herbie as the QB coach, Fickell back on the defensive side of the ball with Vrabel and a LEGIT Offensive Cord coming to town soon????????

Slim Jim
Varsity

Post by Slim Jim »

Is this really fair to your current coach? Knowing that his firing is coming soon. He would be a fool to hang around as an assistant.I hope this all blows up in osu's face.osu needs to learn from their mistakes....Take a low profile not jump right back into the fire!

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Fickell and the entire staff has long known that they had a minimal shot at staying, and even if they did, most of the staff would be gone anyway.

I'm not sold on Vrabel. He hasn't been very effective as a LB coach this year.

Not going to like Herbie as a QB coach. No coaching experience, not a very good QB anyway, and not exactly on the good side of OSU fan base!

I can't see Luke staying on as a defensive coach, and wouldn't want the hold over tension.
I've heard that if Urban comes, then his D coach may be the Stoops brother that was formerly at Arizona.

As for OSU "needing to take a low profile" and "learn from their mistakes".
They've learned a ton, and have and will suffer. But to elude that they just need to sit back and suck for awhile is ludicrous!

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

dubs,

As always, I agree with a lot of what you say. The Herbie part of my post was mostly tongue in cheek due to the recent article on him and his "ambitions". As for Fickell, I tend to disagree. Instead of hold over tensions, I view it as a possible bridge (one of the few positive bridges left). I've made no bones about the fact that I'm a fan of Luke, but as a realist, Urban Meyer is certainly the overwhelmingly better coach. At the same time, it's a unique situation in that it's not as if Tressel was fired and the job was opened up with a long coaching search that ended in Fickell being hired. Instead, Luke got the job on the fly (literally), wether he was ready for such a position or not. I think he was and still should be considered a very valuable defensive coach, and more importantly a very valuable contributor to any staff. I think if the situation were to be handled properly, Luke staying on the staff would be a plus.

Then again, that could just be my bias. But, with all this coach in waiting BS that is going around college football, having a head coach with a history of health issues that can take him away on the fly and having a coach who has proven capable (no matter how much Buckeye Nation approves of this year's team or not, Luke has handled it well) of handling the reigns on the fly already on staff............I can't help but like the thought.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

It is also worth noting that a private charter plane flew from Gainsville to the OSU airport yesterday.

Gee has requested a teleconference with the NCAA to finish the punishment phase the week of Nov 28.

The years and money reported are not completely accurate, but the deal is in place, just waiting to be signed.

Expect something after December 1st.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

I personally like the thought too, I'm a gigantic Fickell fan, and wish him well.

I'd love to have him stay, but not sure it can happen.

ACCBiggz
JV Team

Post by ACCBiggz »

seofan_via_dublin wrote: Not going to like Herbie as a QB coach. No coaching experience, not a very good QB anyway, and not exactly on the good side of OSU fan base!

I can't see Luke staying on as a defensive coach, and wouldn't want the hold over tension.
I've heard that if Urban comes, then his D coach may be the Stoops brother that was formerly at Arizona.
1. I'll give you the no previous coaching experience, but let's not act like you have to have been a good QB to be a good QB coach. You don't have to have been a player to be a good coach. You can go down the list. But in general, I agree... Just wanted to say that ;). And for the record I doubt he comes over, and I'm not sure it would be smart until Braxton is out. I've heard he talks to Pryor weekly and I'm sure if Herby was hired that Braxton could be conflicted and influenced by his "friend" and could create internal issues. But all-in-all it is not worth discussing rift now.

2. I said that as soon as he was fired. It makes all the sense in the world. Proven DC, Ohio born and bred, etc. We'll see if it comes to fruition, but I completely expected that. I'm more interested in who Urban will bring in on the offensive side of the ball.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Is Meyer announcing the game this weekend? That could explain the reason if he flew in,,,the guy on STO has said for a long time their going to announce him as coach at halftime of the Ohio State- Duke Basketball game ,we shall see!

ACCBiggz
JV Team

Post by ACCBiggz »

Urban is going to call Nebraska/Michigan.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Herbie would also be taking a major pay cut and a huge stress increase to join up as a QB coach anywhere!

Return to “College Sports”