BCS drops the ball again

Brutus8907
All State

BCS drops the ball again

Post by Brutus8907 »

I don't know about the rest of you guys but after looking over some of the bowls the BCS has come up with this year I am once again amazed by how bad they've fouled up. Some of the matchups aren't so bad but I can't say the same for some of the others. here's my take on some of them:

National Championship: Florida vs. Oklahoma - although I didn't agree with OU jumping Texas, nobody can deny how good the Sooners are palying right now. they got this one right.

Fiesta Bowl: Texas vs. Ohio State - even as an Ohio State fan I'm not so sure the Bucks quite deserve this high of a bowl game but I think it'll be a good game nonetheless.

Sugar Bowl: Alabama vs. Utah - pending some BS that rivals that of Boise State/Oklahoma, Bama is going to murder Utah, plain and simple.

Orange Bowl: VA Tech vs. Cincinnati - There are a lot better teams that got snubbed out of a BCS bowl game for these two to be playing. Texas Tech, Mizzou, UGA all deserve to be in a BCS game over either of these two.

Rose Bowl: USC vs. Penn State - Pac10 winner vs. Big Ten winner, doesn't get any more cut and dry than that.

Cotton Bowl: Texas Tech vs. Ole Miss - I guess this is what you get when you're in the top 10 in the country but happen to be on the bottom of a 3 way divisional tie, you get the #25 team which is (at best) an average SEC team in the Cotton Bowl. Tech is going to kill the Rebels.

Capital One Bowl: Georgia vs. Michigan State
Outback Bowl: Iowa vs. South Carolina
Chick-Fil-A Bowl: Georgia Tech vs. LSU - here's a few for you SEC chest thumpers, terrible match-ups lead to 3 fairly easy SEC bowl wins.

Alamo Bowl: Mizzou vs. Northwestern - should be an easy Tiger win to say the least.

Hawaii Bowl: Notre Dame vs. Hawaii...IN Hawaii :shock: :roll: - should be a good one to watch if you're looking for a good nap.

Here's the complete list.
Last edited by Brutus8907 on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CMo
JV Team

Re: BCS drops the ball again

Post by CMo »

Brutus8907 wrote:I don't know about the rest of you guys but after looking over some of the bowls the BCS has come up with this year I am once again amazed by how bad they've fouled up. Some of the matchups aren't so bad but I can't say the same for some of the others. here's my take on some of them:

National Championship: Florda vs. Oklahoma - although I didn't agree with OU jumping Texas, nobody can deny how good the Sooners are palying right now. they got this one right.

Fiesta Bowl: Texas vs. Ohio State - even as an Ohio State fan I don't believe the Bucks quite deserve this high of a bowl game but I think it'll be a good game nonetheless.

Sugar Bowl: Alabama vs. Utah - pending some BS that rivals that of Boise State/Oklahoma, Bama is going to murder Utah, plain and simple.

Orange Bowl: VA Tech vs. Cincinnati - There are a lot better teams that got snubbed out of a BCS bowl game for these two to be playing. Texas Tech, Mizzou, UGA all deserve to be in a BCS game over either of these two.

Rose Bowl: USC vs. Penn State - Pac10 winner vs. Big Ten winner, doesn't get any more cut and dry than that.

Cotton Bowl: Texas Tech vs. Ole Miss - I guess this is what you get when you're in the top 10 in the country but happen to be on the bottom of a 3 way divisional tie, you get the #25 team which is (at best) an average SEC team in the Cotton Bowl. Tech is going to kill the Rebels.

Capital One Bowl: Georgia vs. Michigan State
Outback Bowl: Iowa vs. South Carolina
Chick-Fil-A Bowl: Georgia Tech vs. LSU - here's a few for you SEC chest thumpers, terrible match-ups lead to 3 fairly easy SEC bowl wins.

Alamo Bowl: Mizzou vs. Northwestern - should be an easy Tiger win to say the least.

Hawaii Bowl: Notre Dame vs. Hawaii...IN Hawaii :shock: :roll: - should be a good one to watch if you're looking for a good nap.

So if you believe Tech is going to kill the Rebels, how many points is "kill" the Rebels going to be?? Actually Georgia Tech is playing some of the best football in the coutnry under Paul Johnson, LSU better look out in that matchup cause I wouldn't be at all surprised if G.Tech pulls that off, it might not be an upset either though points spread wise.

Brutus8907
All State

Post by Brutus8907 »

killing a team isnt all about points, i've seen countless teams completely dominate in a game but only win by a score or two. and I guess you could be right about GT, they run that triple option, it all depends on what Les Miles does to prepare his defense for it.

CMo
JV Team

Post by CMo »

Brutus8907 wrote:killing a team isnt all about points, i've seen countless teams completely dominate in a game but only win by a score or two. and I guess you could be right about GT, they run that triple option, it all depends on what Les Miles does to prepare his defense for it.

:lol: :lol: I was just saying, plus I would actually expect G.Tech might be the favorite and if so then I might have to go with the Tigers of LSU then because they would be playing as the underdog and i'm sure Les would make sure they would be prepared for that game. Either way, I believe it should be a very intriguing game this bowl season as well as many others. Some other bolls that excite me this bowl season would have to include Boise State and TCU, South Carolina and Iowa, and Mississippi and Texas Tech.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

Brutus8907 wrote:I

Your rap on UC and VT is unfair. Being the ACC and Big East Champs, they are both guaranteed a BCS bowl and saying those other three deserve it over them isn't true since, they didn't win their conference like UC and VT nor didn't get an at-large bid.

Brutus8907
All State

Post by Brutus8907 »

that is all true but it just goes to show how messed up the BCS is and why they really need to bring in some sort of playoff system. even though UC and VT won their respective confrences you can't deny that the teams i mentioned are better and therefore are now feeling the raw end of playing in tougher confrences.
Last edited by Brutus8907 on Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

uc actually played okalhoma a lot tougher than tt did.
11-2 with losses to ou and uconn both on the road... i doubt no other team in the country faced a qb situation like uc faced this year either.

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

imo uc and vt both are more deserving than osu and probly utah.

Brutus8907
All State

Post by Brutus8907 »

theassassin wrote:uc actually played okalhoma a lot tougher than tt did.
11-2 with losses to ou and uconn both on the road... i doubt no other team in the country faced a qb situation like uc faced this year either.

i wouldn't say a lot tougher. granted, i didnt watch the game but 52-26 doesnt look very tough on paper.

and i dunno about your QB claim either. just about every team in the Big 12 played tougher QBs than UC. that confrence is a QB goldmine...Bradford, McCoy, Harrell, Daniel, Reesing, Zac Robinson...doesnt get much tougher than that when it comes to facing QBs. the Big 12 has 7 QBs in the top 20 in passing yards whereas the Big East has one (the MAC has 3 :oops: :lol: )

CMo
JV Team

Post by CMo »

Brutus8907 wrote:
theassassin wrote:uc actually played okalhoma a lot tougher than tt did.

i wouldn't say a lot tougher. granted, i didnt watch the game but 52-26 doesnt look very tough on paper.

and i dunno about your QB claim either. just about every team in the Big 12 played tougher QBs than UC. that confrence is a QB goldmine...Bradford, McCoy, Harrell, Daniel, Reesing, Zac Robinson...doesnt get much tougher than that when it comes to facing QBs. the Big 12 has 7 QBs in the top 20 in passing yards whereas the Big East has one (the MAC has 3 :oops: :lol: )

Buddy what he men't was that UC had to go down there depth chart to start Tony Pike which was probably a 3rd string QB on the team at the beginning of the year. Dustin Grutza was the starter through the first 2 games of the season before he got hurt. I admire coach Kelly for saying he is going to stay at UC, and I hope he does! Good Luck Bearcats!

Brutus8907
All State

Post by Brutus8907 »

k

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

thanks cmo. exactly what i meant.
uc was hoping mauk would be granted a 6th year of eligbility but that was denied by ncaa. the starter at beginning of year sufferd broken leg i think at oklahoma if not before. after stepping in as starter tony pike suffered broken arm giving way to a freshman qb to complete that game. another freshman then started aganst marshall befoer pike came back. uc has played 4 people at qb this year and bascally their 3rd string is the starter now.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

I agree with the OSU comment. How does the 2nd place team in the Big Ten (biggest win came against an ok MSU team), get into a BCS bowl over Texas Tech? Tech was destroyed by Oklahoma, but they also beat the #1 team in the country (at the time). Put the resume's of OSU and Tech against one another---and there is no way OSU is deserving.

With that being said, it is all about money and who can put butts in the seats, and OSU will do that.

I don't care when the win for Texas over Oklahoma came, they beat them. Oklahoma also had the luxury of playing Tech with a beat up Harrel and at home. The stretch in the schd. that Texas went through was just horriable. I don't care how many points Oklahoma puts up, they LOST to Texas.

pan-man
Freshman Team

Post by pan-man »

First off, congrats to Utah on an undefeated season. But it's a little unfair putting them against Alabama. Bama is much bigger, stronger, and faster. And they are one of few teams who know how to use their playmakers.
This years BCS games are yelling for a college playoff system. But they did get the Championship game right. Florida vs Oklahoma.

Brutus8907
All State

Post by Brutus8907 »

i was just looking over the games and saw some switching could be done that would make people (me, at least) a lot happier.

Sugar Bowl: Bama vs. Texas
Fiesta Bowl: OSU vs. Texas Tech
Cotton Bowl: Utah vs. Mizzou
Alamo Bowl: Northwestern vs. Ole Miss

I think these would make for a lot better match ups and much more interesting games than Mizzou vs. Northwestern, Bama vs. Utah and Texas Tech vs. Ole Miss :12224 ...If only the BCS were as smart as me 8) :lol:

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

As far as Ohio State not deserving a BCS Bowl...

Who else does? Texas Tech, of course, but the whole two teams from one conference rule.

OSU lost to 2 really good teams. USC (#1 at the time) killed them, but if Ohio State would have gotten one break against Penn State (#3 at the time) the game would have been different.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

One more break? PSU's stud QB was knocked out of the game that OSU was playing at HOME. What more could they ask for?

The_Legend_of_Northwest
All State

Post by The_Legend_of_Northwest »

after watching Mizzou and UGA play this season who in their right mind would want them in a marquee matchup. Those defenses were HORRIBLE.

Mizzou loses:
OK ST 28-23
Texas 56-31 (It was alot worse than that)
Kansas 40-37 (Kansas has been very disappointing this season)
Oklahoma 62-21

they also gave up 42 to Illinois in the season opener

UGA loses
Bama 41-30 (31-0 halftime)
Florida 49-10
Ga Tech 45-42

also gave up 38 to Jared Lee and the LSU offense and 38 to Kentucky.

Now i dont know about all of you but I want to see teams who played defense in the BCS not two overated football teams

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

i'd just soon see some offense... maybe its not that the defenses are that bad anyway......... a great offesne can make a good defense look bad

buckeye21
JV Team

Post by buckeye21 »

peake wrote:One more break? PSU's stud QB was knocked out of the game that OSU was playing at HOME. What more could they ask for?

From what I can remember PSU's stud QB wasn't having such a good game before he was knocked out of the contest. IMO it didn't make much of a difference because both teams were running the football and then punting.

Also, as far as Texas Tech deserving the nod over the Buckeyes in a BCS game..... I agree with that but as someone probably pointed out before only two teams from a conference can make a BCS game.

Return to “College Sports”