Varsity

Re: Next Rio Grande Basketball Coach

Post by 3sUp »

I think Pfloyd would be a good area recruiter. lol

Almost Champions
Freshman Team

Post by Almost Champions »

The Caldwells would be a steal no matter their relationship. I also know that Koons guy from Trimble won a state title as a junior high track coach. He can win with anything. Pony up the money and maybe even get all three.

1980-82.....the glory days of Southern basketball. We almost did it!
Gator B Long
Freshman Team

Post by Gator B Long »

What about Brigham Waginger? Been asst at Western Carolina for several yrs.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Gator B Long wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:36 pm What about Brigham Waginger? Been asst at Western Carolina for several yrs.
Defense Defense Defense

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Ironman92 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:39 pm
Gator B Long wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:36 pm What about Brigham Waginger? Been asst at Western Carolina for several yrs.
Defense Defense Defense
Practically a felon on the court with all that thievery.
Any one have film in the archive? I’d like to revisit

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
itsme
Varsity

Post by itsme »

rc1129 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:25 pm
The Ultimate Lancer wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:47 pm
DUNK1 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:43 pm Who are kidding here? The best possible scenario would be for Rio to make it a family affair and hire Howie Caldwell and get Jeff to come along with him.
Howie always was a hellacious recruiter. Getting his son to come along would be an absolute coup for red storm nation. I wonder what kind of salary it would take to get him?
Why do you all think Jeff is howies son? They’re cousins. Distant
First cousins

Chief Kdogg
JV Team

Post by Chief Kdogg »

Almost Champions wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:24 pm The Caldwells would be a steal no matter their relationship. I also know that Koons guy from Trimble won a state title as a junior high track coach. He can win with anything. Pony up the money and maybe even get all three.
Koons won't be a steal. It will cost dearly. However, it will be worth every penny. Proven winner in everything he's coached. And, as you said, a state championship under his belt. How many of the others mentioned can boast that?

Just my thoughts guys! :mrgreen:

Shoot_It_From_Deep
Freshman Team

Post by Shoot_It_From_Deep »

how about Dan Liedkte from Fort Frye? Former Rio player and a great coach at the HS level for many years. Plus his daughter is playing at Rio now.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

vcgrad wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:02 pm Its about time---he did a poor job keeping and getting kids from SE Ohio---A few years ago he had Tristan Bartoe --when he got to Rio told him he had to red shirt---I seen his guards--he had then and now---not even close---I bet he wished he had kept him now!!!!!! Womens program has had a great record over last 10 yrs or so-----mens have been awful...…..
Sorry, but it’s not Rio’s prerogative to actively seek out, recruit and build a program of Southeast Ohio’s kids. Shawnee St is the same deal. Why? Because a) there’s scores of kids from Columbus, Dayton and Cincinnati where basketball + education after HS is the only “way out” of their surroundings and they’re willing to take the loans + financial aid to attend wherever, so Rio and other low NAIA’s will always pursue the money that comes with those kids first and b) there’s not as many kids from SE Ohio in that particular position, as most of the good basketball talent is either going elsewhere to hoop, going somewhere like the OU system for education or are pursuing trades/civil services.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

I have to imagine Rio is going to pursue and hire someone that understands low-level college basketball as an arm of revenue generation (e.g. enrollment -> paid tuition) for low-level universities such as Rio. And this isn’t a criticism of Rio the school nor the quality of education and programming the university offers.

Phil McKnight, who knows Coach French and did some assistant work at URG as well as previous time with Salem Int’l and his own semi-professional basketball ventures as both a player and organizer, is the type of guy I’m sure Rio Grande is looking for. Young and has been around the block with programs like URG, so he understands the motivations and what it takes to reach desired outcomes on both an individual and larger level. Also has HS head coaching experience, which is a plus.

And he may not be interested, but that’s the general archetype I think Rio is going to pursue. Experience with the low-level ranks of college hoops, understands the bigger picture RG and RG-like programs are trying to accomplish. This job has sunk to the lower end of the coaching totem pole for the college ranks, but no one’s coaching career is going to dead end here. And maybe I’m completely wrong too about what I said here! I just don’t think you’re going to see any HS coaches being a great fit unless they have similar experience to what I suggested.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

Need to have a few local guys to build the fan base----if you have been to a Mens Rio game in the last few years---you could hear a pin drop!!!!! maybe 50 people total was there....Sad!!!!!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

formerfcfan wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:33 pm I have to imagine Rio is going to pursue and hire someone that understands low-level college basketball as an arm of revenue generation (e.g. enrollment -> paid tuition) for low-level universities such as Rio. And this isn’t a criticism of Rio the school nor the quality of education and programming the university offers.

Phil McKnight, who knows Coach French and did some assistant work at URG as well as previous time with Salem Int’l and his own semi-professional basketball ventures as both a player and organizer, is the type of guy I’m sure Rio Grande is looking for. Young and has been around the block with programs like URG, so he understands the motivations and what it takes to reach desired outcomes on both an individual and larger level. Also has HS head coaching experience, which is a plus.

And he may not be interested, but that’s the general archetype I think Rio is going to pursue. Experience with the low-level ranks of college hoops, understands the bigger picture RG and RG-like programs are trying to accomplish. This job has sunk to the lower end of the coaching totem pole for the college ranks, but no one’s coaching career is going to dead end here. And maybe I’m completely wrong too about what I said here! I just don’t think you’re going to see any HS coaches being a great fit unless they have similar experience to what I suggested.
Maybe I’m confusing people but I doubt they pursue him.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

vcgrad wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:16 pm Need to have a few local guys to build the fan base----if you have been to a Mens Rio game in the last few years---you could hear a pin drop!!!!! maybe 50 people total was there....Sad!!!!!
Former star Jimmy Kearns would be a great choice eh?

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Moving to the college sports forum.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Ironman92 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:29 pm
formerfcfan wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:33 pm I have to imagine Rio is going to pursue and hire someone that understands low-level college basketball as an arm of revenue generation (e.g. enrollment -> paid tuition) for low-level universities such as Rio. And this isn’t a criticism of Rio the school nor the quality of education and programming the university offers.

Maybe I’m confusing people but I doubt they pursue him.
You probably aren’t confusing people. They probably wouldn’t pursue him specifically, but I’m sure they want someone who checks many of the same boxes he does.

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

I find it comical that people from SE Ohio starts throwing out SE Ohio HS coaches names. Rio Grande is a University that will open it up on a National Scale. I am not saying a SE Ohio coach could not come in a do a better job, but I am sure there is a very experienced College coach that is ready to take it over. The only concern I would have is how does a person recruit someone to Rio Grande? They only have a few majors (after cuts from 2 years ago) and only 6-7 scholarships to give out compared to other schools that have 12. Financially, Rio is in turmoil and have heard rumblings that this institution my go towards becoming a JUCO. It will be interesting to see who takes this as well as what happens.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

baseball16 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:25 pm I find it comical that people from SE Ohio starts throwing out SE Ohio HS coaches names. Rio Grande is a University that will open it up on a National Scale. I am not saying a SE Ohio coach could not come in a do a better job, but I am sure there is a very experienced College coach that is ready to take it over. The only concern I would have is how does a person recruit someone to Rio Grande? They only have a few majors (after cuts from 2 years ago) and only 6-7 scholarships to give out compared to other schools that have 12. Financially, Rio is in turmoil and have heard rumblings that this institution my go towards becoming a JUCO. It will be interesting to see who takes this as well as what happens.
Some could do a fine job

burgstheword1978
Waterboy

Post by burgstheword1978 »

baseball16 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:25 pm I find it comical that people from SE Ohio starts throwing out SE Ohio HS coaches names. Rio Grande is a University that will open it up on a National Scale. I am not saying a SE Ohio coach could not come in a do a better job, but I am sure there is a very experienced College coach that is ready to take it over. The only concern I would have is how does a person recruit someone to Rio Grande? They only have a few majors (after cuts from 2 years ago) and only 6-7 scholarships to give out compared to other schools that have 12. Financially, Rio is in turmoil and have heard rumblings that this institution my go towards becoming a JUCO. It will be interesting to see who takes this as well as what happens.
Finally somebody with some sense, it's completely outlandish to think many of these hs coaches could thrive at the college level.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

burgstheword1978 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:18 pm
Finally somebody with some sense, it's completely outlandish to think many of these hs coaches could thrive at the college level.
When was the last time Rio Grande thrived? 25 years ago? The late 80’s?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

This thread is now here to die

RIP

Return to “College Sports”