Waterboy

Re: Next Rio Grande Basketball Coach

Post by BigBendSports2020 »

Ryan Arrowood

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

The timing kind of surprises me but it was pretty clear years ago that a change was needed at Rio. French is a very good person but in terms of results Rio hasn't had much for a very long time. Sometimes change is necessary, I'm just shocked Rio actually made the decision. French will fall back on his feet somewhere, no doubt.

In terms of the actual position I don't see it being a very coveted job. It's common knowledge that Rio is in extreme financial trouble. There's a new President there now and he's trying to make rapid changes to even keep the University afloat. Rumors are swirling that it might switch to a 2 year JUCO, or perhaps become a branch of OSU. While I don't think this decision was "financial based," I do want to clarify that Rio does NOT pay coaches very much. At all. I don't know the exact figure but I've heard the amount over the years and it's extremely underwhelming for what the job demands.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Corner3
Riding the Bench

Post by Corner3 »

BigBendSports2020 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:35 am Ryan Arrowood
Interesting name. Would be a great hire for Rio but I wonder if he doesn’t have bigger plans for his next gig

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

It’s been rumored that Matt Hoops is taking the job while keeping his other coaching jobs at Unioto

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

mlittle wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:43 am It’s been rumored that Matt Hoops is taking the job while keeping his other coaching jobs at Unioto
Hes got the name

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

How much does a Rio Grande basketball coach make?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

mattash wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:45 am How much does a Rio Grande basketball coach make?
From what I’ve heard he didn’t have a salary but got to keep the proceeds from his annual camp minus the food and dorm costs. Could be completely false

PikeCounty
Waterboy

Post by PikeCounty »

mlittle wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:16 am
mattash wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:45 am How much does a Rio Grande basketball coach make?
From what I’ve heard he didn’t have a salary but got to keep the proceeds from his annual camp minus the food and dorm costs. Could be completely false
Made 50-60k from camps alone, not sure about salary from Rio

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Ironman92 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:25 pm
Baseball22 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:23 pm Rick Pitino has an interview today with the president of Rio Grande
We had Sherron Wilkerson from Indiana....Pitino might happen
I was at Rio during the time he was there. He had a freak of a vertical leap. He was just way too advanced to play at Rio. Often he was hitting players in the face with no look passes, etc. He was just too many steps ahead of his Rio teammates.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Bleeding Red wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:39 am
Baseball22 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:23 pm Rick Pitino has an interview today with the president of Rio Grande
I was at Rio during the time he was there. He had a freak of a vertical leap. He was just way too advanced to play at Rio. Often he was hitting players in the face with no look passes, etc. He was just too many steps ahead of his Rio teammates.
I had 2 classes with him and he came 2x to each. Bobby Knight head butted him too hard on live tv

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

Its about time---he did a poor job keeping and getting kids from SE Ohio---A few years ago he had Tristan Bartoe --when he got to Rio told him he had to red shirt---I seen his guards--he had then and now---not even close---I bet he wished he had kept him now!!!!!! Womens program has had a great record over last 10 yrs or so-----mens have been awful...…..

Chief Kdogg
JV Team

Post by Chief Kdogg »

I've been approached about it. Nothing official yet, but if someone can come up with enough jingle I'll consider it.

Just my thoughts guys! :mrgreen:

Chief Kdogg
JV Team

Post by Chief Kdogg »

By the way, if you think I'm a great basketball coach you should see me coach track. :mrgreen:

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:12 am
Bleeding Red wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:39 am

I had 2 classes with him and he came 2x to each. Bobby Knight head butted him too hard on live tv

😂

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
rc1129
Riding the Bench

Post by rc1129 »

The Ultimate Lancer wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:47 pm
DUNK1 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:43 pm Who are kidding here? The best possible scenario would be for Rio to make it a family affair and hire Howie Caldwell and get Jeff to come along with him.
Howie always was a hellacious recruiter. Getting his son to come along would be an absolute coup for red storm nation. I wonder what kind of salary it would take to get him?
Why do you all think Jeff is howies son? They’re cousins. Distant

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

rc1129 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:25 pm
The Ultimate Lancer wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:47 pm
DUNK1 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:43 pm Who are kidding here? The best possible scenario would be for Rio to make it a family affair and hire Howie Caldwell and get Jeff to come along with him.
Howie always was a hellacious recruiter. Getting his son to come along would be an absolute coup for red storm nation. I wonder what kind of salary it would take to get him?
Why do you all think Jeff is howies son? They’re cousins. Distant
Have you not heard that sometimes it is just easier to throw something out there against the wall, and if it sticks fine, if not just move on to the next wall. Lol

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

Get some young guy that has been working at a small college for a couple of years-that wants to start up a program from the ground up!!!!!

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

vcgrad wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:12 pm Get some young guy that has been working at a small college for a couple of years-that wants to start up a program from the ground up!!!!!
That's kind of what I think they will do also, get someone who has had a little bit of experience at the College level.

Chief Kdogg
JV Team

Post by Chief Kdogg »

VetteMan wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:41 pm
vcgrad wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:12 pm Get some young guy that has been working at a small college for a couple of years-that wants to start up a program from the ground up!!!!!
That's kind of what I think they will do also, get someone who has had a little bit of experience at the College level.
Or, just hire a proven winner and win right away. I'll let them decide which route to take. They have my number.

Just my thoughts guys! :mrgreen:

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

I would hire mlittle before anyone.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54

Return to “College Sports”