Next Rio Grande Basketball Coach

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: Next Rio Grande Basketball Coach

Post by VetteMan »

Ironman92 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:19 pm
burgstheword1978 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:18 pm
baseball16 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:25 pm I find it comical that people from SE Ohio starts throwing out SE Ohio HS coaches names. Rio Grande is a University that will open it up on a National Scale. I am not saying a SE Ohio coach could not come in a do a better job, but I am sure there is a very experienced College coach that is ready to take it over. The only concern I would have is how does a person recruit someone to Rio Grande? They only have a few majors (after cuts from 2 years ago) and only 6-7 scholarships to give out compared to other schools that have 12. Financially, Rio is in turmoil and have heard rumblings that this institution my go towards becoming a JUCO. It will be interesting to see who takes this as well as what happens.
Finally somebody with some sense, it's completely outlandish to think many of these hs coaches could thrive at the college level.
When was the last time Rio Grande thrived? 25 years ago? The late 80’s?
Being that I apparently have not been paying that close attention, what has happened financially at Rio Grande, that they find themselves in the turmoil that they appear to be in ?

coyote II
Waterboy

Post by coyote II »

It’s Ed Fry.

OneWhoKnows
Waterboy

Post by OneWhoKnows »

The level of ignorance on this board - and this thread in particular- is stunning. I hope what is posted isn't accepted as gospel because, based on what I'm reading, a lot of you talk out your ass because you're head knows better.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

No Jimmy Kearns--------- cant get Alex deep in playoffs.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

VetteMan wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:39 pm
burgstheword1978 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:18 pm
Finally somebody with some sense, it's completely outlandish to think many of these hs coaches could thrive at the college level.
Being that I apparently have not been paying that close attention, what has happened financially at Rio Grande, that they find themselves in the turmoil that they appear to be in ?

I’ve been trying to find that out myself vetteman.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Redmamba
Waterboy

Post by Redmamba »

Rio has been hemorrhaging money for a while. Enrollment drop, overspending payroll. A few years back, they were struggling but still had 2-3 Deans in departments where only 1 or none was needed. They tried to get a levy passed. I went to a meeting where Rio spoke about needing the money from a levy, but when someone asked what their plan was for the money, they didn’t have one or at least didn’t have a good answer. Just that it was needed. Very incompetent. Sports wise, teams are having JV teams to bring in tuition money to pay varsity bills. At least that's what it appears to be. I’m not positive on that.
New leadership was definitely needed. However don’t agree with getting rid of French. I don’t believe any coach is going to compete in that league with 6 scholarships. You’re always an injury away from playing walk ons against teams with 12 full rides, and far superior funding. And 12 full rides gets you D1 transfers. That’s an impossible fight for any coach. At least French was a community guy.

rc1129
Riding the Bench

Post by rc1129 »

countywide35 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:10 pm
VetteMan wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:39 pm

I’ve been trying to find that out myself vetteman.
They’ve been paying out large sums of hush money to the families of the girls for close to the last 6 years

rc1129
Riding the Bench

Post by rc1129 »

So the girls don’t tell people about the financial trouble they’re in and that’s making them lose even more money.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Miss use of funds ? That happen at GA in the 80's an 90's!

Lonesome Polecat
Freshman Team

Post by Lonesome Polecat »

formerfcfan wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:03 pm
vcgrad wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:02 pm Its about time---he did a poor job keeping and getting kids from SE Ohio---A few years ago he had Tristan Bartoe --when he got to Rio told him he had to red shirt---I seen his guards--he had then and now---not even close---I bet he wished he had kept him now!!!!!! Womens program has had a great record over last 10 yrs or so-----mens have been awful...…..
Sorry, but it’s not Rio’s prerogative to actively seek out, recruit and build a program of Southeast Ohio’s kids. Shawnee St is the same deal. Why? Because a) there’s scores of kids from Columbus, Dayton and Cincinnati where basketball + education after HS is the only “way out” of their surroundings and they’re willing to take the loans + financial aid to attend wherever, so Rio and other low NAIA’s will always pursue the money that comes with those kids first and b) there’s not as many kids from SE Ohio in that particular position, as most of the good basketball talent is either going elsewhere to hoop, going somewhere like the OU system for education or are pursuing trades/civil services.
And why would they want to? SEO kids really arent very talented. They are mostly lazy and entitled.

Chief Kdogg
JV Team

Post by Chief Kdogg »

OneWhoKnows wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:21 am The level of ignorance on this board - and this thread in particular- is stunning. I hope what is posted isn't accepted as gospel because, based on what I'm reading, a lot of you talk out your ass because you're head knows better.
Sorry you weren't mentioned as a candidate. Don't let that make you so sore. Only the best HS coaches in the area have been mentioned, so it's not a knock on you. Get better and you may get a shot some day. In the meantime, leave it to some of us who are proven winners to be considered for these jobs. :mrgreen:

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

I talked to somebody down on the River and they said the guy from Ashland (KY) was interested in the position. He said the Ashland coach is a former long-time college coach. Anybody else down that way hear that?

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

This is not a rumor, I just heard this from a former Rio grad...Coach Jeff Lisath is a candidate. Lisath coached three years on the collegiate level as head men's coach at Columbus State early in his coaching career. Played at Miami and I believe he was a Grad assistant there as well in the 80's. This dude is known to turn struggling programs around.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Baseball22 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:23 pm Rick Pitino had an interview today with the president of Rio Grande
I'm pretty sure that this was probably a joke as far as Rio Grande was concerned, and then I remember reading a few days ago just how desperate some schools must be when it comes to hiring a head coach. Iona University has hired Rick Petino as there new head basketball coach, even though he has had success at about every college job that he has had, not so much in the Pro's, This guy has left tainted baggage at every place that he has ever coached. Even he went to far in his last job at Louisville, doing so many illegal things that even he couldn't possibly cover them up. I'll give him 1-2 years at Iona, and then I will be surprised if the hammer doesn't come down on Iona as well.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

I’m hearing it’s Ryan Arrowood to Rio

BigBendSports2020
Waterboy

Post by BigBendSports2020 »

BigBendSports2020 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:35 am Ryan Arrowood
Called it! On feb 26th... 2nd page :)

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Hope coach Arrowood has success at Rio. I played with him there. He knows the game, understands recruiting and has been successful other places. He knows there isn’t much to do at rio, so getting players excited to come there might be a challenge. But, I think he will be able to do it. Hope he builds a strong program and gets fans in the seats.

Return to “College Sports”