Will All College and University Athletic Programs Survive COVID-19?

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: Will All College and University Athletic Programs Survive COVID-19?

Post by VetteMan »

Just reported today as a result of Covid-19, how the schedule may be affected in the upcoming football season. Don't know whether this will come to be or not, I'm just reporting what I have read. In a Sports Illustrated article by Michael Spath, who covers University of Michigan, does expect some of the Big 10 to play this year, but some ( at least 4 teams considering no season ) may not. It also looks as if at least University of Michigan will not be taking any plane trips for away games, nor staying in any hotels, which means only day bus trips, which in turn means no Washington game. He's also reporting at least one home and home with either Michigan State, Ohio State, Indiana, or Notre Dame, then filling out the schedule with in State Mid Majors.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Southern Utah University in Cedar City, Utah has announced on June 23, 2020 that it was eliminating it's Men's and Women's Tennis programs effective immediately due to budget cuts brought on by the Coronavirus Pandemic. Hope not but this could be what a lot of your schools will be faced with in the immediate future.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Do you think that the Ivy League's pending decision ( On Wednesday ) to cancel fall sports, and move football to the spring just the first shoe to fall ? A lot of people feel the fact that football is not big-time in the Ivies, nor a huge revenue source, therefore what they do is mostly irrelevant.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

VetteMan wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:19 pm Do you think that the Ivy League's pending decision ( On Wednesday ) to cancel fall sports, and move football to the spring just the first shoe to fall ? A lot of people feel the fact that football is not big-time in the Ivies, nor a huge revenue source, therefore what they do is mostly irrelevant.
The Ivy's are irrelevant, but a decision to defer the 2020 season to Spring 2020 may set a precedent that would be tempting for the rest of college football to follow. We are within a fortnight of the cfb powers that be having to make a go or no go decision on the start of the season.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Not good news again, as University of Kansas has suspended voluntary workouts after increased coronavirus cases in the Jayhawks program. After testing 164 student athletes, 16 people have tested positive, with 12 of those being football players. A total of 45 athletes are currently in quarantine. I'm pretty sure that Ex LSU head coach Les Miles is presently the head coach of the Jayhawks.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

PAC 12 Commissioner Larry Scott, has stated that the prospect of College football happening is "more perilous" than in recent weeks. He said that unless we see a change in the trajectory of the spread of the virus and it's impact pretty quickly, I think the situation is a lot more serious than it was a few weeks ago. No one can predict right now what the fall is going to look like, in my opinion.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Well the Ivy League cancelled all 2020 fall sports. Is this a one and done or opening of the flood gates for all of college football to follow? Of note they made no commitment to playing in the spring.

https://www.nj.com/sports/2020/07/ivy-l ... ollow.html

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Omega wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:32 pm Well the Ivy League cancelled all 2020 fall sports. Is this a one and done or opening of the flood gates for all of college football to follow? Of note they made no commitment to playing in the spring.

I pretty much felt as if this was going to happen, especially when they said a final decision would be made on Wednesday. I also think that a lot of schools pretty much know what they are going to do, but possibly would rather have other schools make a decision before they commit to one themselves. At least I think that a lot of smaller schools may feel that way.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

VetteMan wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:38 pm
Omega wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:32 pm Well the Ivy League cancelled all 2020 fall sports. Is this a one and done or opening of the flood gates for all of college football to follow? Of note they made no commitment to playing in the spring.

I pretty much felt as if this was going to happen, especially when they said a final decision would be made on Wednesday. I also think that a lot of schools pretty much know what they are going to do, but possibly would rather have other schools make a decision before they commit to one themselves. At least I think that a lot of smaller schools may feel that way.
Yeah there are rumours that the FCS leagues like the SoCon and Big South may follow suit now that there is a precedent established. A season becomes unworkable with different sets of rules and regs across the states and localities within the conferences. Why throw good money after bad when facing uncertainty.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Add Ohio State and UNC to the list that have suspended practice/workouts:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk ... r-BB16v505

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-sta ... s#comments

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Omega wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:49 pm Add Ohio State and UNC to the list that have suspended practice/workouts:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk ... r-BB16v505

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-sta ... s#comments
I just read that on Eleven Warriors also. I've been wondering all along why we have not heard one thing about the Buckeyes. I know things down south have really been magnified, hearing about every day about Clemson, Alabama, and LSU and all of the positive tests. It just seems to change each and every day, and these last few days things seem to have really started to spiral downward.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Stanford announced earlier today that they are dropping 11 varsity programs after the 2020-2021 season ends. Some of the varsity sports are men's and women's fencing, field hockey, lightweight rowing, men's rowing, coed and women's sailing, squash, synchronized swimming, men's volleyball, wrestling, In human terms, 240 students and 22 coaches just had their lives turned upside down. with 36 sports, you could argue that the Cardinals were trying to do too much athletically, only Ohio State has more with 37.

Gopher
Varsity

Post by Gopher »

8 of 125 SAs tested positive at Ohio University before starting voluntary summer workouts.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

NCAA officials express growing pessimism about college football on Capital Hill. What started out as a Us Senate committee hearing on student athlete compensation, materialized into an inquiry on college football's latest quandary, the coronavirus pandemic. In addition to questions on name, image and likeness, lawmakers quizzed college athletic leaders about Viral outbreaks impacting campuses across the country. They chastised those schools that are requiring athletes to sign waivers, insisted that the NCAA create a universal Covid-19 standard and as mentioned, lamented the lack of transparency among roughly half of the 130 FBS programs in declining to disclose their case numbers. I'm sure that this should help solve many of the problems going forward, as most of these people on Capital Hill wouldn't know a football from a volleyball.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

And to kick the 2020 football season when it is already down, the Big10 is expected to announce a season of only conference games:

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-sta ... -this-fall

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

I think that we could all see this one coming from a mile away. As things stand as of today, I'm not really confident that they will even play a full conference schedule. The earlier post about the fact that Michigan may be thinking about only playing games that they would only buss too and from may have some merit. If this is true about not flying too and from games, you can rest assured that Michigan is probably not the only school that is considering that way of traveling. I can only imagine the headache's involved if some schools decide not to play at all, trying to scramble to schedule games, some schools playing more games than others. Hope I'm wrong, but the sad thing being that instead of things improving, things seem to be moving in the other direction.

9.5 INCHES
All Conference

Post by 9.5 INCHES »

VetteMan wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:50 pm I think that we could all see this one coming from a mile away. As things stand as of today, I'm not really confident that they will even play a full conference schedule. The earlier post about the fact that Michigan may be thinking about only playing games that they would only buss too and from may have some merit. If this is true about not flying too and from games, you can rest assured that Michigan is probably not the only school that is considering that way of traveling. I can only imagine the headache's involved if some schools decide not to play at all, trying to scramble to schedule games, some schools playing more games than others. Hope I'm wrong, but the sad thing being that instead of things improving, things seem to be moving in the other direction.
Smart post.....You are probably spot on....Vetteman.......Things are going to be a mess....anyway that it can be played.....I'll take it though.....Hope the games that can be played are televised............Won't be the same but better than nothing......

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

9.5 INCHES wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:32 pm
VetteMan wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:50 pm I think that we could all see this one coming from a mile away. As things stand as of today, I'm not really confident that they will even play a full conference schedule. The earlier post about the fact that Michigan may be thinking about only playing games that they would only buss too and from may have some merit. If this is true about not flying too and from games, you can rest assured that Michigan is probably not the only school that is considering that way of traveling. I can only imagine the headache's involved if some schools decide not to play at all, trying to scramble to schedule games, some schools playing more games than others. Hope I'm wrong, but the sad thing being that instead of things improving, things seem to be moving in the other direction.
Smart post.....You are probably spot on....Vetteman.......Things are going to be a mess....anyway that it can be played.....I'll take it though.....Hope the games that can be played are televised............Won't be the same but better than nothing......
I agree with you completely, any kind of season would be better than nothing at all. I guess we will just have to take it day at a time and hope for the best. To be able to watch college football, I can probably even convince myself to watch Michigan, just kidding. Lol

9.5 INCHES
All Conference

Post by 9.5 INCHES »

VetteMan wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:57 pm
9.5 INCHES wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:32 pm
I agree with you completely, any kind of season would be better than nothing at all. I guess we will just have to take it day at a time and hope for the best. To be able to watch college football, I can probably even convince myself to watch Michigan, just kidding. Lol
:D .........GO BLUE............

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Gene Smith, Ohio States athletic director spoke for more than a half an hour about the Big Tens decision to move to a conference only schedule, his optimism about football being played this fall and more. On his level of concern of fall sports being played, I'm really concerned. He says he was cautiously optimistic the last time he spoke, and he's not there anymore. He says Franklin County is on Level 3 and on a trajectory to Level 4 on Ohio Public Health Advisory Alert System. He also said that they had not begun to engage in true practice yet. He says that they will have some guidance from the NCAA. He said that next week the Big Ten will get into how the football schedule will work. He also said they will look at what they currently have scheduled, and determine whether they can keep the order of games intact. He said about the possibility of sports being cut, at this point in time, we're avoiding that. That's just a few of the things that he had to say.

Return to “College Sports”