Will All College and University Athletic Programs Survive COVID-19?

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: Will All College and University Athletic Programs Survive COVID-19?

Post by VetteMan »

9.5 INCHES wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:16 pm
VetteMan wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:57 pm
9.5 INCHES wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:32 pm

Smart post.....You are probably spot on....Vetteman.......Things are going to be a mess....anyway that it can be played.....I'll take it though.....Hope the games that can be played are televised............Won't be the same but better than nothing......
I agree with you completely, any kind of season would be better than nothing at all. I guess we will just have to take it day at a time and hope for the best. To be able to watch college football, I can probably even convince myself to watch Michigan, just kidding. Lol
:D .........GO BLUE............
I knew you were out there, glad to see you posting again, really enjoy going back and forth with you. Lol

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

PAC12 joins Big10 in eliminating non conference schedule.

https://www.wspa.com/sports/college-spo ... nce-games/

Also looks like the ACC may work with Notre Dame if the Irish need replacement games due to Covid19. The ACC already has a scheduling agreement with ND. I wonder if the Big has made a similar overture to Notre Dame as geographically and historically they have ties to the B10.

https://247sports.com/Article/Notre-Dam ... 148993316/
Last edited by Omega on Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
9.5 INCHES
All Conference

Post by 9.5 INCHES »

VetteMan wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:42 pm
VetteMan wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:57 pm

I agree with you completely, any kind of season would be better than nothing at all. I guess we will just have to take it day at a time and hope for the best. To be able to watch college football, I can probably even convince myself to watch Michigan, just kidding. Lol
I knew you were out there, glad to see you posting again, really enjoy going back and forth with you. Lol
It's all fun......What would it be like without Michigan and Columbus fans not bickering a bit......Both keep it hopping with differences......You probably won't see the famous Columbus pacifier much this year though :P ........Probably no need for it......I got my fingers crossed that there is some kinda season for the Big......Keep the fingers crossed......Vetteman......See ya in September..... hopefully with something to bicker about :D ..................GO BLUE.................

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

9.5 INCHES wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:37 am

It's all fun......What would it be like without Michigan and Columbus fans not bickering a bit......Both keep it hopping with differences......You probably won't see the famous Columbus pacifier much this year though :P ........Probably no need for it......I got my fingers crossed that there is some kinda season for the Big......Keep the fingers crossed......Vetteman......See ya in September..... hopefully with something to bicker about :D ..................GO BLUE.................
Hea, I'm going to miss that pacifier, I doubt very much that you will be able to go through even a shortened season without bringing it out a few times. I figured that you would probably come out with some kind of a customized mask, with either an Ohio State or Michigan message on it. I'm with you in hoping that we at least have some kind of a season, from day to day there just seems to be so many negative things occurring, that we are just going to have to hope for the best.

9.5 INCHES
All Conference

Post by 9.5 INCHES »

VetteMan wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:40 am
9.5 INCHES wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:37 am

Hea, I'm going to miss that pacifier, I doubt very much that you will be able to go through even a shortened season without bringing it out a few times. I figured that you would probably come out with some kind of a customized mask, with either an Ohio State or Michigan message on it. I'm with you in hoping that we at least have some kind of a season, from day to day there just seems to be so many negative things occurring, that we are just going to have to hope for the best.
Might be a change this year.......Maybe a decorated Columbus baby bassinet......... :lol: ..............Yep.......keep your fingers crossed for some kind of season............I'm praying that there is.......and a safe one..........

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Just ran across this on one of the Network sports shows. The question: Will we play football in 2020 ? The latest signs don't look good. College athletic leaders are having serious doubts on an on-time start to the 2020 college football season, or if a fall season is even possible at all. Feelings of optimism and confidence have turned to hope and apprehension. Contingency plans, dismissed weeks ago, are back in the proverbial picture, such as delaying the season deeper into the fall, or even moving it into the spring. And while a month remains before a decision deadline, NCAA leaders are targeting the first week of August. While despair looms over a sport that just 15 days ago, appeared to avoid the most catastrophic outcome, "No Fall Football". I hope the next article that I come up on, is a little more on the bright side.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Power Five Conferences have about "2.9 billion reasons" to save the college football seasons for the 2019 fiscal year, Power 5 conferences brought in $2.9 billion in revenue, according to Tax Records obtained by USA Today, highlighting just how much money is at risk in potentially canceling the college football season. According to USA Today, most of that revenue, a total which would certainly have been even higher for the 2021 fiscal year, if not for the pandemic, comes from TV contracts, and about 80% of that revenue from TV deals comes from football. Obviously, the decision won't be made solely, or even mostly, on financial considerations, but reality is there is a lot of money at play in the decision about whether or not to play football, it's not a decision that will be made lightly. My oh My, I'm sure that we all are probably in shock, as to whether or not that money would be a factor in the decision, as to whether or not to have a football season.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

A Supplemental Draft Question. I'm not really aware of all the situation's that arise that makes a player have the opportunity to be selected in a supplemental draft. What if by lets say Mid-August, that some more conferences or individual teams decide to cancel the football season ? ( Corid-19 ) Could Seniors on those teams at that point petition the NFL to hold a special supplemental draft ? Lets hope that we are not faced with a situation such as that going forward.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

VetteMan wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:25 am A Supplemental Draft Question. I'm not really aware of all the situation's that arise that makes a player have the opportunity to be selected in a supplemental draft. What if by lets say Mid-August, that some more conferences or individual teams decide to cancel the football season ? ( Corid-19 ) Could Seniors on those teams at that point petition the NFL to hold a special supplemental draft ? Lets hope that we are not faced with a situation such as that going forward.
Did not mean ( Corid-19, but rather Covid-19.)

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Some tough decisions could be on the way for Ohio States potential 2021 early enrollees, if the high school football season is moved to the spring ? As of right now, 11 of the 2021 class have said that they plan to enroll early. All of those players, plus the 3 who could still potentially graduate in December, could very soon be faced with a reality they had hoped would not come just a month or two ago. Most of those commits have said that they still plan to enroll early even if the football season is moved to the spring. Covid-19 has just thrown everything in such disarray, it's just very difficult to make a decision today, knowing that tomorrow may be different.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

The Patriot League followed the Ivy League 's example and cancels their 2020 fall sports season due to the contagion.s

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/patriot-l ... d=71754236

Neither conference are representative of big time college football, but it gives the P5's and G5's some cover if cancellation is deemed necessary.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Clemson to reevaluate reopening plans in wake of increased Covid19 cases near campus:

https://www.wyff4.com/article/clemson-u ... s/33298410

This throws a little more uncertainty on college football

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

If College Football is played this fall, doubts have crept up among NCAA leaders. Two unresolved issues loom over the sport more than any other: in season testing and game interruptions. Rising positive virus cases across the country have both impacted the availiability of tests and their "return speed", doctors say, while a universal testing protocol remains "non-existent". At the same time, administrators believe the latest spikes could result in even more game cancellations than they had originally expected. It seems as if all we hear about are these positive tests, It would certainly be nice if we could start hearing some positive news going forward.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

MAC schools stand to lose millions because of Big Ten going to conference only schedule

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.c ... 0-million/

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/college- ... o-continue

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Michigan announces ticket sales plan for 2020 football. No sales to general public. At least they are talking about playing having fans in the stands.

https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/mich ... 0200715071

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Inside SEC’s AD Meetings: The Fight to Preserve Marquee Non-Conference Games, Rivalry Clashes.

At least some positive rumors coming out of the SEC:

https://www.si.com/college/2020/07/15/s ... dule-plans

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Closer to home, eyes should be on the MAC. For those who don’t know, Univ. Of Akron is in serious financial difficulty, cutting not only sports and coaches but also faculty and staff. Most MAC schools depend on 2 sources of revenue - state aid from tax revenue and charging the students several thousands of dollars as part of their tuition and fees for the athletic dept. The arms race on coaches salaries, assistant coaches, athletic dept staff, travel expenses and upkeep of athletic facilities is no longer viable. Cuts are on the horizon for the foreseeable future, virus or no virus.

When ticket sales and TV money can’t support the athletic dept. ,a serious reconsideration is needed. Students are graduating with too much debt and shouldn’t be forced to pay thousands of dollars to support bloated coach salaries and athletic depts living beyond their means. Likewise, expenditures of state aid from tax monies are another waste of money going to support education and not athletic depts in debt.

While the MAC is the poster child for bloated athletics in financial trouble, it also extends to real major college programs living the same way. If ticket sales and TV money can’t keep the athletic dept afloat, expect to see a revolt to cut out tax revenue and thousands of dollars in student fees in support of athletics.

The charade is over with, just more openly exposed by the virus.

Have gun, will travel
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Paladin wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:04 pm Closer to home, eyes should be on the MAC. For those who don’t know, Univ. Of Akron is in serious financial difficulty, cutting not only sports and coaches but also faculty and staff. Most MAC schools depend on 2 sources of revenue - state aid from tax revenue and charging the students several thousands of dollars as part of their tuition and fees for the athletic dept. The arms race on coaches salaries, assistant coaches, athletic dept staff, travel expenses and upkeep of athletic facilities is no longer viable. Cuts are on the horizon for the foreseeable future, virus or no virus.

When ticket sales and TV money can’t support the athletic dept. ,a serious reconsideration is needed. Students are graduating with too much debt and shouldn’t be forced to pay thousands of dollars to support bloated coach salaries and athletic depts living beyond their means. Likewise, expenditures of state aid from tax monies are another waste of money going to support education and not athletic depts in debt.

While the MAC is the poster child for bloated athletics in financial trouble, it also extends to real major college programs living the same way. If ticket sales and TV money can’t keep the athletic dept afloat, expect to see a revolt to cut out tax revenue and thousands of dollars in student fees in support of athletics.

You correct that the financial aftermath of the contagion will bring about more change to America than the virus itself. Colleges (and preps) will have to answer this question: are sports and their inherent cost and risks a part of their core academic mission?

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Paladin wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:04 pm Closer to home, eyes should be on the MAC. For those who don’t know, Univ. Of Akron is in serious financial difficulty, cutting not only sports and coaches but also faculty and staff. Most MAC schools depend on 2 sources of revenue - state aid from tax revenue and charging the students several thousands of dollars as part of their tuition and fees for the athletic dept. The arms race on coaches salaries, assistant coaches, athletic dept staff, travel expenses and upkeep of athletic facilities is no longer viable. Cuts are on the horizon for the foreseeable future, virus or no virus.

A very good post, very informative.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

It seems as if it just continues on: The MEAC conference has suspended the Fall sports season due to Covid-19. The Council of Presidents and Chancellors of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference has announced that the league will suspend all sports competition, championship and non-championship segments, for the 2020 fall season, as a result of the continuing Covid-19 pandemic. A decision is yet to be made on whether fall sports schedules will be moved to the 2021 spring semester.

Return to “College Sports”