Will All College and University Athletic Programs Survive COVID-19?

purpleblood1
JV Team

Will All College and University Athletic Programs Survive COVID-19?

Post by purpleblood1 »

I saw yesterday that due to the cancellation of the NCAA basketball tournaments and the cancellation of all Spring sports the NCAA is cutting the amount of money they distribute to all schools. Most schools can't afford to have money cut. What's your thoughts and reactions to this?

Omega
SEOPS H

Re: Will All College and University Athletic Programs Survive COVID-19?

Post by Omega »

purpleblood1 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:46 pm I saw yesterday that due to the cancellation of the NCAA basketball tournaments and the cancellation of all Spring sports the NCAA is cutting the amount of money they distribute to all schools. Most schools can't afford to have money cut. What's your thoughts and reactions to this?
Interesting question. Under the guise of "never let a crisis go to waste", I could see some marginal FBS and FCS programs close down over finances. Some CUSA and WAC teams come to mind at the FBS level. Throw in probable reduction of TV money in football if the 2020 season is altered, and you might see some P5 schools have to shut their gridiron programs down. While we all pray that things return to normal, the current situation may give some schools an opportunity to get out of the football business.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
purpleblood1
JV Team

Post by purpleblood1 »

Great article in the Herald-Dispatch this morning concerning this.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Just read where Furman University in Furman, South Carolina, has decided to drop Baseball and Men's Lacrosse as a result of the Virus. The are also implementing Cuts in the President and Vice President's salary, as well as head coaches in there various sports. I believe that this may only be the beginning for a lot of schools, especially a lot of your smaller colleges.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Bowling Green drops baseball.

purpleblood1
JV Team

Post by purpleblood1 »

Lots of programs being dropped around the country. Sad days for college athletics.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

purpleblood1 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:22 pm Lots of programs being dropped around the country. Sad days for college athletics.
I hope that I'm completely wrong in this situation, but regardless if and when this can somewhat be gotten under control, will some of these schools be able to recover and restore some of the programs that they are now eliminating ?

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Just reported today that Dr.David A.Thomas, The President of Morehouse College, has announced that Morehouse was cancelling it's 2020 football season. Morehouse is a member of the D11 Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference. Noteworthy is the fact that Morehouse is the first Scholarship Football program to cancel it's football season due to the Covid-19 Virus.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

VetteMan wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:03 pm Just reported today that Dr.David A.Thomas, The President of Morehouse College, has announced that Morehouse was cancelling it's 2020 football season. Morehouse is a member of the D11 Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference. Noteworthy is the fact that Morehouse is the first Scholarship Football program to cancel it's football season due to the Covid-19 Virus.
I maybe should have mentioned that Morehouse College is a private historically black Men's college, located in downtown Atlanta, Georgia. It's campus consists of 61 acres in mostly downtown Atlanta. Some of it's most noteworthy alumni, are Martin Luther King Jr, Samuel L. Jackson, and Spike Lee.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Just read this evening that South Carolina Governor Henry McMaster has said that the College and Prep seasons may be in jeopardy if the Covid-19 cases continue to rise. He said that "No' football is a possibility for South Carolina teams this fall if Covid-19 cases continue to surge in the State. I'm pretty sure that Omega will give a more in depth report than what I have, being that he has or maybe still lives in South Carolina. South Carolina seems to be one of the States that is really feeling the brunt of Corid-19 right now.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Pretty sad. Accurate numbers show that covid19, though more contagious than the flu, has about the same mortality rate.

We dont shut our country down for the flu every year.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

VetteMan wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:50 am Just read this evening that South Carolina Governor Henry McMaster has said that the College and Prep seasons may be in jeopardy if the Covid-19 cases continue to rise. He said that "No' football is a possibility for South Carolina teams this fall if Covid-19 cases continue to surge in the State. I'm pretty sure that Omega will give a more in depth report than what I have, being that he has or maybe still lives in South Carolina. South Carolina seems to be one of the States that is really feeling the brunt of Corid-19 right now.
Vetteman, you summary is correct. Without getting too political, the long story short is South Carolina's original response to the contagion was weak, not obeyed, and not enforced. I guess we reap what we sew.

As to the Governor 's remark about football, I feel McMaster was making an idle threat as his administration has stated any further lockdown/reopening decisions will be made at the local level. The problem for football, at any level, will be a patchwork of rules from state to state and even county to county making a fall season unworkable. Throw in money problems at colleges and public schools exacerbated by the contagion, 2020 may be the year without football.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Thank you. I knew that you would know a lot more about what was going on in the State of South Carolina. I'm not really sure, do you still live in South Carolina, or have you lived there in the past ?

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

VetteMan wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:00 pm Thank you. I knew that you would know a lot more about what was going on in the State of South Carolina. I'm not really sure, do you still live in South Carolina, or have you lived there in the past ?
Still in Spartanburg County near the North Carolina border. Funny how life takes you places you never thought you would be. I miss my Pike County roots, but home is where the grandchildren are.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Omega wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:25 am
VetteMan wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:00 pm Thank you. I knew that you would know a lot more about what was going on in the State of South Carolina. I'm not really sure, do you still live in South Carolina, or have you lived there in the past ?
Still in Spartanburg County near the North Carolina border. Funny how life takes you places you never thought you would be. I miss my Pike County roots, but home is where the grandchildren are.
Thank you. Back a few years ago when work in this area had slowed down from time to time, myself and a few other people from SEO, because of our security clearance from DOE, ( Atomic Plant ) were able to go to South Carolina and work at the SRP. I lived in and around Aiken, South Carolina while I was there, as most of us lived as close to the plant as possible. Being that we were "Yankees" in the fact that we were from up north, "darn Yankees" if you stayed very long, I worked with and become friends with a big Clemson football fan. He had season tickets to Clemson games, and took me to quite a few of there games. After what had happened with Woody, I had to tread pretty softly in that regard, and even pretend that I wanted Clemson to win. I was really more of a fan of University of South Carolina and the Gamecocks, than I was of the Tigers. I'll never forget looking at all of those Orange Tiger Paws painted on the highway the closer that you got to the University area.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

VetteMan wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:56 am
Thank you. Back a few years ago when work in this area had slowed down from time to time, myself and a few other people from SEO, because of our security clearance from DOE, ( Atomic Plant ) were able to go to South Carolina and work at the SRP. I lived in and around Aiken, South Carolina while I was there, as most of us lived as close to the plant as possible. Being that we were "Yankees" in the fact that we were from up north, "darn Yankees" if you stayed very long, I worked with and become friends with a big Clemson football fan. He had season tickets to Clemson games, and took me to quite a few of there games. After what had happened with Woody, I had to tread pretty softly in that regard, and even pretend that I wanted Clemson to win. I was really more of a fan of University of South Carolina and the Gamecocks, than I was of the Tigers. I'll never forget looking at all of those Orange Tiger Paws painted on the highway the closer that you got to the University area.
[/quot]

Yeah, I am an 1950's A-Plant brat. Been down here 15 years. Honestly most SC football fan's roots have been with USC until Clemson's recent run. I find Clemson fans to be knowledgeable and actually a little more reasonable in their takes than many Buckeye fans are. South Carolina is like any place else, a mix of urban and rural, progressive and red neck.
Within thirty miles of me I can show you a hip European style urban center or areas direct out of the movie Delivernce. Even Aiken and the SRP area is becoming gentrified with upscale horse farms. Of course the last time I was in SEO, I was amazed at the changes insurance along Routes 23, 35, and 52.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Omega wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:21 am

[/quot]

Yeah, I am an 1950's A-Plant brat. Been down here 15 years. Honestly most SC football fan's roots have been with USC until Clemson's recent run. I find Clemson fans to be knowledgeable and actually a little more reasonable in their takes than many Buckeye fans are. South Carolina is like any place else, a mix of urban and rural, progressive and red neck.
Within thirty miles of me I can show you a hip European style urban center or areas direct out of the movie Delivernce. Even Aiken and the SRP area is becoming gentrified with upscale horse farms. Of course the last time I was in SEO, I was amazed at the changes insurance along Routes 23, 35, and 52.
Was the A-Plant built in the early 50's ? I didn't actually work for DOE at the A-Plant, as I worked construction and worked for numerous different contractors over the years. For whatever reason, and I'm not really sure, but it seemed as if there was a shortage of Q-Cleared construction workers, especially welders at the SRP. I also agree about the Aiken area and the upscale horse farms.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

VetteMan wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:11 pm
Omega wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:21 am

[/quot]

Was the A-Plant built in the early 50's ? I didn't actually work for DOE at the A-Plant, as I worked construction and worked for numerous different contractors over the years. For whatever reason, and I'm not really sure, but it seemed as if there was a shortage of Q-Cleared construction workers, especially welders at the SRP. I also agree about the Aiken area and the upscale horse farms.
The A-Plant was built 1952-1956, but was honestly obsolete by 1962..Since then, politics kept the plant alive with various projects and now the work on sight I guess is decommissioning and decontamination. If you have the Q and certs to do welding on nuke equipment you are one highly skilled tradesman.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portsmo ... sion_Plant

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Thanks for the Info about the A-Plant. You are certainly right about the Political Part, as both Parties would throw full support behind the A-Plant, at least until the election was over. At the SRP, Plutonium was the main factor when I worked there, but at times it became Political as well.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Navy has announced that it's September 12th game against Lafayette College has been canceled. Lafayette College made the decision, determining it would not have enough time to prepare for the game once there players were brought back onto campus. Seems to me as sort of a lame excuse, as about every school will encounter the same problems. Navy is attempting to find a new opponent if at all possible.

Return to “College Sports”