Great showing by UM-OSU players in SB!

Peake
SEOP

Great showing by UM-OSU players in SB!

Post by Peake »

Holmes had a great game for the Steelers, along with UM standouts Lamar Woodley who is a stud and Larry Foote.

Breaston had an outstanding game for Arizona, and DT Gabe Watson made a huge play down near the goal line.

Orestes
S

Re: Great showing by UM-OSU players in SB!

Post by Orestes »

Also, a lot of Ohio influence in the game.

I would like to add that all the Ex-NFL guys are praising the Pittsburgh Steeler organization. They are not just talking about the 6 Super Bowl Championships, but are also praising the way the Steelers do business.

They pointed out that they are patient with their coaches and are not knee-jerk reactors when their is a valley along the way during the big journey. They have seen their coaches win in the past, they know they are winners, and they stick with them even when things get a bit rough. I think a lot of sports fans can learn from this...

kcarth305
JV Team

Post by kcarth305 »

Santonio Holmes was a huge key part in the Steelers winning last night, simple as that. He completed the good plays when the Steelers needed to have the good plays. With that said, it could have been Hines Ward who would have been doing those plays, so I'm not going to say that the Steelers would have lost the game without Holmes. Nice game played by Pittsburgh!

avalanche
JV Team

Post by avalanche »

I didn't follow a word you said. Holmes was very good, but Rothlesburger was the one scrambling making plays when the pocket colapsed, etc.

Lamar Woodley is a freak. He will be one of the next super stars.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

I have to respectfully disagree with two posters in this thread.

One, I see no way Pitt wins that game without Holmes. He is the deep threat. He keeps the DBs, and most especially, the safeties back. They cannot play press coverage because Holmes is on the field. Ward cannot get behind the secondary. Also, Holmes was getting a big cushion because of his deep threat, and was able to make some moves on the screen plays and turn in big yards. Finally, without Holmes, the coverage focuses more on Ward (it was obvious from the beginning of the game that Holmes was Ben's guy for the night), on the other WRs, and onto the running backs.

As for Big Ben being the one who made the plays, he himself mentioned that he thought the winning TD pass was a poor decision and he thought it would be picked. Then he thought it was too high for any player on the field, but Holmes made a great play. Plus, go back and watch how many short passes Holmes caught and turned them into big plays. He also made some very tough catches that were just thrown in his general area. Not to mention, he had two tough receptions wiped off the board because of holding.

Lastly, Woodley is a stud.

Let's not forget Buckeye Dick LeBeau :-) ----- who btw loves Jim Tressel as a coach and person... for the Buckeye fan Buckeye haters...

RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Post by RiverRatRay »

Coach LeBeau played tailback and corner on the 1957 tOSU National Championship team for Woody Hayes. James Harrison is also from Akron Coventry High School and Kent State University. The 1st TD scored in the game was by Gary Russell from Columbus Walnut Ridge High School and the Minnesota Gophers. Not to mention Big Ben is from Lima and played at Findlay High School. Also played at Miami of Ohio. Quite an Ohio flavor there I would say.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

RiverRatRay wrote:Coach LeBeau played tailback and corner on the 1957 tOSU National Championship team for Woody Hayes. James Harrison is also from Akron Coventry High School and Kent State University. The 1st TD scored in the game was by Gary Russell from Columbus Walnut Ridge High School and the Minnesota Gophers. Not to mention Big Ben is from Lima and played at Findlay High School. Also played at Miami of Ohio. Quite an Ohio flavor there I would say.

But but but.. Northern guys are slow...... :?

Return to “College Sports”