Southern Heritage Classic Becomes First College Football Game To Be Canceled Due To COVID-19

Omega
SEOPS H

Southern Heritage Classic Becomes First College Football Game To Be Canceled Due To COVID-19

Post by Omega »

From WBRZ TV:

The Southern Heritage Classic has been canceled because of the coronavirus pandemic, the game's promoter's announced Wednesday.

According to ESPN, Jackson State and Tennessee State were scheduled to play in the 31st Southern Heritage Classic on Sept. 12.

It's widely regarded as the first college football game canceled due to the pandemic.

On Monday, the health department in Shelby County, Tennessee, where Memphis is located, reported 256 coronavirus cases, the largest increase in a single day since the beginning of the pandemic. The department announced that an anticipated move into Phase 3 of reopening would be delayed as a result.

The game's organizers said the decision to nix the game was made after reviewing a copy of the Shelby County Health Department's directive detailing emergency management relief efforts to address the pandemic. Last season, an announced crowd of 48,347 watched Jackson State defeat Tennessee State 49-44.

The game's promoters said more than 75,000 people annually attend the three-day event, which includes tailgating and a parade.

"I know this is a great disappointment to many who consider the SHC one of the major highlights of the year," SHC founder Fred Jones said in a statement. "The health and safety of our attendees along with our staff, sponsors, and others is a top priority. I encourage everyone to keep practicing recommended safety and social distancing measures so that we can return to our usual activities as soon as possible."

In a statement, the Memphis athletics department said it will continue to stay in contact with state, local and regional health officials for guidance on home games in the fall, "and all current indications are that home games will be played as planned." The university said that, based on current projections, only season-ticket holders would be accommodated and there will be no single-game sales for home games.

Memphis is scheduled to start the season against Arkansas State at home on Sept. 5.

https://www.wbrz.com/news/southern-heri ... -covid-19/

Just goes that uncertainty about the 2020 college football season is real. I think we are approaching the time frame when go/no go decisions about playing scheduled games will have to be made because of contract wording of force majeur clauses. I hope not but I think we will see a wave of cancelled games at the FCS, D2, D3, and NAIA level. Even the P5 teams might be forced to cancel games in areas with covid hotspots or continued government restrictions.

https://www.wbrz.com/news/southern-heri ... -covid-19/

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: Southern Heritage Classic Becomes First College Football Game To Be Canceled Due To COVID-19

Post by VetteMan »

It most certainly is not good news, it very well may be a sample of what is yet to happen.

Return to “College Sports”