Marshall Starting QB Enters Transfer Portal

Omega
SEOPS H

Marshall Starting QB Enters Transfer Portal

Post by Omega »

Issiah Green, Marshall 's starting quarterback, has entered the NCAA transfer portal. Assuming there is a fall season, the decision leaves Marshall in a bind to find a starter.

https://wvmetronews.com/2020/07/15/mars ... er-portal/

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: Marshall Starting QB Enters Transfer Portal

Post by VetteMan »

I guess the timing of this situation might seem a little strange, but who really knows if and when he may have decided to pull the trigger to transfer ? The fact that Green has been the starting QB for the Thundering Herd since his Freshmen year, lack of playing time would probably not be in the equation as far as playing time is concerned. I'm pretty sure that opposing coaches are not supposed to approach players on other teams, about possibly transferring, but there are so many loop holes in that being able to happen, it's really a moot point. My understanding that when a player enters his name into the transfer portal, that he sort of becomes a free agent, and can then be approached by any other school or coach who might be interested in said player. I would also think that the player could reach out to other schools as well. Not knowing where Green is from, there could also be personal reasons or numerous other reasons for him wanting to transfer. I would think that there would be plenty of schools reach out to him, especially with the fact that he has 2 yr of eligibility remaining. It will be very interesting to see where he ends up transferring to. It's also been such a crap-shoot as far as the NCAA's decisions as to whether or not a player gains immediate eligibility, or in some cases has to sit out a year.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

This is a had scratcher for sure. No use speculating on why. Green, though turnover prone, was a dynamic player for the Herd. A quick look at the Marshall roster reveals no obvious replacement for a starting QB. Green is from Fairburn GA, near Atlanta.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

any word where he is Transferring

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

A little more info from the Huntington Herald Dispatch:

https://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/ ... ee8c5.html

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Must have e been a heckuva disagreeament with him and the coaches.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

I'm not sure at times whether I like the Transfer Portal or dislike it. I guess it just depends as a Fan, whether or not it helps the team or teams that you have a vested interest in. I think it's great, whether it's a male or a female, if for whatever the reason you may not be getting the playing time that you desire, I think that you should be able to transfer "One" time, no questions asked, no penalty or having to sit out a year etc. I think that sometimes we forget, that of all of the players that enter the Transfer Portal, a pretty large percentage never get offered by another school, plus at one time even after entering the Transfer Portal, you still had the option to withdraw your name out of the Transfer Portal, but the school that you were leaving or transferring from, was no longer under any obligation to allow you to return to your original school. I'm not sure at what point when you enter the Portal, if you are on scholarship, when does your scholarship cease to be ? I think that in a way, once you enter the Portal you kind of become a free-agent and have the opportunity to maybe shop yourself around to other schools, and hopefully find a willing partner. On the other hand, there is most certainly a risk involved, when you place yourself out there, and then find it impossible to find a match. That old adage of the grass is not always greener on the other side, sometimes rings true.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

VetteMan wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:46 pm I'm not sure at times whether I like the Transfer Portal or dislike it. I guess it just depends as a Fan, whether or not it helps the team or teams that you have a vested interest in. I think it's great, whether it's a male or a female, if for whatever the reason you may not be getting the playing time that you desire, I think that you should be able to transfer "One" time, no questions asked, no penalty or having to sit out a year etc. I think that sometimes we forget, that of all of the players that enter the Transfer Portal, a pretty large percentage never get offered by another school, plus at one time even after entering the Transfer Portal, you still had the option to withdraw your name out of the Transfer Portal, but the school that you were leaving or transferring from, was no longer under any obligation to allow you to return to your original school. I'm not sure at what point when you enter the Portal, if you are on scholarship, when does your scholarship cease to be ? I think that in a way, once you enter the Portal you kind of become a free-agent and have the opportunity to maybe shop yourself around to other schools, and hopefully find a willing partner. On the other hand, there is most certainly a risk involved, when you place yourself out there, and then find it impossible to find a match. That old adage of the grass is not always greener on the other side, sometimes rings true.

Those are great points.

In this case. You know. It seems that a player is leaving over a dissagrrement ?? I would like to know more what’s happened here. And it allows a player kinda run so to speak. I can’t imagine Doc Holliday and staff did something so severe that this kid no longer wants to play for the Herd. If it was that bad. The NCAA be involved as well as plastered all over ever news sports cast from the east to west coast with all things considered going on. Where I’m going with this. This transfer portal allows a player to run from a problem instead of working on it to make it work. Again. I don’t know what is going on behind the scenes for our beloved Herd. But in this case. It allowed the Tbjndering Herds QB1 dissappear into the night. No questions asked.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

I also would like to know what the real reason was as to why he entered the Transfer Portal. Being that he just entered this past Wednesday, everyone right now are probably just waiting for the smoke to clear. I know that the article said that most of his teammates were surprised as well. You can bet that there are teammate that know the reason, and we will hear about it in time. We also need to realize that his teammates are still on the team, and sometimes we need to be careful as to what we say and when we say it. Green also does not want to burn any bridges with anyone, until he pretty much finds a landing spot for himself. We also know that opposing coaches talk, and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it happens in this situation as well, matter of fact I would be more surprised if it didn't occur. I think that the thing that really jumps out to me is the fact that his first two years, he started 21 out of 22 games. It's probably safe to assume that he would have been the starter again this year as a Junior. Things are different now in how players respond to coaches, you say something that hurts someone's feelings, they just up and quit or transfer. Can you imagine back in the day, when Woody would have worried about hurting someone's feelings ?

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

VetteMan wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:35 pm I also would like to know what the real reason was as to why he entered the Transfer Portal. Being that he just entered this past Wednesday, everyone right now are probably just waiting for the smoke to clear. I know that the article said that most of his teammates were surprised as well. You can bet that there are teammate that know the reason, and we will hear about it in time. We also need to realize that his teammates are still on the team, and sometimes we need to be careful as to what we say and when we say it. Green also does not want to burn any bridges with anyone, until he pretty much finds a landing spot for himself. We also know that opposing coaches talk, and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it happens in this situation as well, matter of fact I would be more surprised if it didn't occur. I think that the thing that really jumps out to me is the fact that his first two years, he started 21 out of 22 games. It's probably safe to assume that he would have been the starter again this year as a Junior. Things are different now in how players respond to coaches, you say something that hurts someone's feelings, they just up and quit or transfer. Can you imagine back in the day, when Woody would have worried about hurting someone's feelings ?

Woody Hayes would have quoted the infamous Tombstone movie in the part Wyatt Earp rolls up to the leader of the Outlaw “cowboys” sittin on the front porch of the saloon and after Wyatt said it’s over and they were leaving town. The cowboy leader looks at Wyatt and says “wellll......BYE”. Haha.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

VetteMan wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:35 pm I also would like to know what the real reason was as to why he entered the Transfer Portal. Being that he just entered this past Wednesday, everyone right now are probably just waiting for the smoke to clear. I know that the article said that most of his teammates were surprised as well. You can bet that there are teammate that know the reason, and we will hear about it in time. We also need to realize that his teammates are still on the team, and sometimes we need to be careful as to what we say and when we say it. Green also does not want to burn any bridges with anyone, until he pretty much finds a landing spot for himself. We also know that opposing coaches talk, and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it happens in this situation as well, matter of fact I would be more surprised if it didn't occur. I think that the thing that really jumps out to me is the fact that his first two years, he started 21 out of 22 games. It's probably safe to assume that he would have been the starter again this year as a Junior. Things are different now in how players respond to coaches, you say something that hurts someone's feelings, they just up and quit or transfer. Can you imagine back in the day, when Woody would have worried about hurting someone's feelings ?
Attachments
8EBB4AC3-9FBF-4712-8AB0-7368904F0E7A.gif

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

That is Woody Hayes perception of the transfer portal

Ha

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

countywide35 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:38 pm That is Woody Hayes perception of the transfer portal

Ha
Good picture. Can you just imagine a player walking up to Woody and saying he was thinking about transferring ? The kid should probably just quit, as I doubt that he would play another down for Woody Hayes.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

VetteMan wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:58 pm
countywide35 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:38 pm That is Woody Hayes perception of the transfer portal

Ha
Good picture. Can you just imagine a player walking up to Woody and saying he was thinking about transferring ? The kid should probably just quit, as I doubt that he would play another down for Woody Hayes.

No doubt.....I am for no dictator by any means. But gosh dang it sometimes ya just gotta face the reality of the situation, make the best of it , and drive on As of now. I’m taking this as he put himself first And not the team.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

countywide35 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:26 pm

Ha

No doubt.....I am for no dictator by any means. But gosh dang it sometimes ya just gotta face the reality of the situation, make the best of it , and drive on As of now. I’m taking this as he put himself first And not the team.
It will be very interesting to me, that when he does find where he will be playing next, if he is grated immediate eligibility by the NCAA to be able to play this fall, and not have to sit out a year. The NCAA very rarely ever requires a player to sit out a year anymore, whereas before you had to have a pretty valid reason for wanting to transfer, the Transfer Portal has completely changed everything in that regard.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

VetteMan wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:57 pm
countywide35 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:26 pm

It will be very interesting to me, that when he does find where he will be playing next, if he is grated immediate eligibility by the NCAA to be able to play this fall, and not have to sit out a year. The NCAA very rarely ever requires a player to sit out a year anymore, whereas before you had to have a pretty valid reason for wanting to transfer, the Transfer Portal has completely changed everything in that regard.

It opened up collegiate free agency. And now to get paid even more than a free education. If anyone doesn’t think a 4/5 yr college education isn’t high dollar obvious hasn’t looked at it of late. Nor has had to spend 20/25/30yrs paying off student loan debt.

Housing , books , meal plans , transportation, health care , and on and on.

If you are QB1 at OSU and dislocate your hip on Saturday afternoon you are flown to the best orthopedic surgeon money can buy.

If you are just plain Jane Doe walking across campus to the library, step in a hole , dislocate your hip. Good luck with that.

And I’m
Not trying to beat up college athletes or college football players. I played in college too. Just agree with vetteman that maybe we turned this into a premaddona ordeal

Return to “College Sports”