It's official...PSU forces Joe Paterno to RETIRE NOW!

Jesco White
S

It's official...PSU forces Joe Paterno to RETIRE NOW!

Post by Jesco White »

The Board of Trustees just announced that they will NOT allow Joe Pa to coach the remainder of the season and he has been OFFICIALLY REMOVED as head football coach at Penn State!!

It's a sad, sad day in college football for a number of reasons. This is a terrible situation and affects so many lives in such a negative way. The end of Joe Pa's legendary career as a result of such a terrible course of events is far too much for me to even wrap my mind around at this time. I never thought this would be the way he would go out.

But, in the end, Penn State had to do what was right and Joe Pa ultimately did NOT do the right thing when he should have.

It's just a shame all the way around.

Peake
SEOP

Re: It's official...PSU forces Joe Paterno to RETIRE NOW!

Post by Peake »

Jesco very well said.

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

He didn't retire or resign.Joe was FIRED! Best thing psu has done in years.But it still dosen't end the suffering of the kids that were hurt in this mess.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Some people that give big bucks to the school has wanted him out for a number of years now and this just helped them out. This time it was out or no money

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

You know really yes Paterno should have followed up on the situation, but he did what he was supposed to do. He alerted a higher up, his boss, and he expected him to do his job which he didnt and now that boss is being investigated by the law.

If you see something wrong at your job you tell your supervisor thats the extent of your obligation. Then your supervisor comes up and says we took care of the problem. Why should you get in trouble if your supervisor lied to you.

Joe Paterno is being wrongfully terminated and now he is being humiliated by the University he has put on the map. For most of us Paterno has been there longer than we have been alive. He deserved better than to be fired. He already resigned he did not need to be fired if they wanted him out now then they should have said you get to coach sat, but your done after that game.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

I got a question. The grad assistant who saw this if hes still on staff will he be fired also and if he saw it why didnt he go in and stop it then instead if letting it happen and just telling somebody. You want to throw morals around about going above the law shouldnt he have physically stopped the abuse as he saw it happen then tell about the incident?

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

When Joe realized his superiors (and let's be honest, Joe is the superior at PSU) were doing nothing, he should have acted further.

If McQueary, in 2002, ended his story to Joe about what he saw with, "Joe, it was your grandson in the shower being anally raped", Joe would have handled it differently!

It was someone's grandson, and that's why Joe is fired!

blue53
All State

Post by blue53 »

anybody that had knowledge of what happen should be held accountable. If a simple phone call to the police was made after seeing or hearing about a child being raped, there would be several less victims. Sandusky is a true predator. One could only guess how many others are out there that he has tried or successed in molesting and hasn't came forward.
Advising your boss is something you do if you hear or see somebody stealing, or damaging property. This is one of the sickest of crimes that can be done and to just pass the buck is unthinkable.

WitnessProtection
All Conference

Post by WitnessProtection »

I'm a longtime Penn State fan, and while it hurts me to see JoePa go out like this, I believe the board of trustees did the right thing in this situation. This isn't about football or JoePa's contributions to Penn State or about him being a positive cultural icon. It's about a horrible series of crimes that were allegedly committed on his watch. Regardless of just how much JoePa knew or did not know about the situation, he was advised that something was going on and should have followed up with the AD after making his first report.
Penn State did the right thing by letting JoePa and Spanier go. The focus, rightly so, is now off of a larger than life personality in JoePa and should be fixed on the investigation into and prosecution of Jerry Sandusky. If Sandusky is really responsible for committing all of the acts of which he has been accused, he needs to be dropped into the deepest, darkest hole that authorities can find in Pennsylvania.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

tigercannon71 wrote:You know really yes Paterno should have followed up on the situation, but he did what he was supposed to do. He alerted a higher up, his boss, and he expected him to do his job which he didnt and now that boss is being investigated by the law.

If you see something wrong at your job you tell your supervisor thats the extent of your obligation. Then your supervisor comes up and says we took care of the problem. Why should you get in trouble if your supervisor lied to you.

Joe Paterno is being wrongfully terminated and now he is being humiliated by the University he has put on the map. For most of us Paterno has been there longer than we have been alive. He deserved better than to be fired. He already resigned he did not need to be fired if they wanted him out now then they should have said you get to coach sat, but your done after that game.

I agree 100% and I am NOT a Penn State fan. Paterno did not violate any laws or NCAA rules. You can't legislate "morality". If this is such a big deal, there should have been laws in place to cover such a thing. No law was broken. No NCAA rules were violated.

This is more a case of "What Would You Do?" from ABC News than it is anything else as far as Paterno is concerned.

blue53
All State

Post by blue53 »

[quote="WitnessProtection"]I'm a longtime Penn State fan, and while it hurts me to see JoePa go out like this, I believe the board of trustees did the right thing in this situation. This isn't about football or JoePa's contributions to Penn State or about him being a positive cultural icon. It's about a horrible series of crimes that were allegedly committed on his watch. Regardless of just how much JoePa knew or did not know about the situation, he was advised that something was going on and should have followed up with the AD after making his first report.
Penn State did the right thing by letting JoePa and Spanier go. The focus, rightly so, is now off of a larger than life personality in JoePa and should be fixed on the investigation into and prosecution of Jerry Sandusky. If Sandusky is really responsible for committing all of the acts of which he has been accused, he needs to be dropped into the deepest, darkest hole that authorities can find in Pennsylvania.[/quote]

I'd say, if found quilty, general population in State Penn will take care of Sanducky.

blue53
All State

Post by blue53 »

Here is Sandusky's Grand Jury report for those who haven't seen it.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011 ... ument.html

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:
tigercannon71 wrote:You know really yes Paterno should have followed up on the situation, but he did what he was supposed to do. He alerted a higher up, his boss, and he expected him to do his job which he didnt and now that boss is being investigated by the law.

I agree 100% and I am NOT a Penn State fan. Paterno did not violate any laws or NCAA rules. You can't legislate "morality". If this is such a big deal, there should have been laws in place to cover such a thing. No law was broken. No NCAA rules were violated.

This is more a case of "What Would You Do?" from ABC News than it is anything else as far as Paterno is concerned.

Not so fast...

...The NCAA has said that after the legal process has played out, they will do a full investigation.

When you run your program based on honor and morality and doing what's right, like Joe did, then YES you can legislate morality! What would Joe have done if it was his grandson being raped in the PSU shower?

VegasEagle
Varsity

Post by VegasEagle »

blue53 wrote:Here is Sandusky's Grand Jury report for those who haven't seen it.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011 ... ument.html
Thanks blue but i couldnt get past page 12 WOW is all i can say

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

Sorry, but I have to disagree. When you go "up the chain of command" (even though as dubs pointed out, JoePa was the chain), you are still responsible for making sure results are obtained. If your "boss" doesn't meet your needs satisfactorily, then you are obligated to go to his superior, and so on until the job is done. In my opinion, Joe's "satisfaction" on the issue was "met". Do you really believe Joe didn't have an idea of the type of man that Sandusky is, after all the years they spent together? That's as asinine as saying Tressel didn't know anything that his players were doing was wrong!!!

I have always, and will always, see Joe Paterno as the greatest college football coach of all-time. But, morally, as the saying goes, "when you lay with dogs, you get fleas!" Come on guys, there's more going on here than just some guy coaching a team knew some guy who committed some crime!

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

I do agree that the grad assistant who is the current receiver's coach, should also be removed! While I'm disgusted at the actions of many in this, it also should NOT be simply a "witch hunt" going after Paterno.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

You can what if all you want, but it has nothing to do with the facts of the case. A what if has only won 1 lawyer a trail and that was in a movie. Facts are he did what he was supposed to do, what any of us would have been expected to do in the same thing. You hear about something illegal at your work you tell your superiors and let them deal with it. What do you want a 75 year old man to go kick Sandusky's butt?

VegasEagle
Varsity

Post by VegasEagle »

tigercannon71 wrote:You can what if all you want, but it has nothing to do with the facts of the case. A what if has only won 1 lawyer a trail and that was in a movie. Facts are he did what he was supposed to do, what any of us would have been expected to do in the same thing. You hear about something illegal at your work you tell your superiors and let them deal with it. What do you want a 75 year old man to go kick Sandusky's butt?
This goes beyond football If I would have heard about this im going to the cops call it what you want he should have said something just because he told his boss dont make it right..... JoePa pretty much ran Penn St. and was like GOD in happy valley thats a fact... He did this to himself

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

You talk about going to the cops based upon what he heard, not what he saw. Thatd be like if I went over to Jim and said I saw Bob in a shower with a young boy. Now Jim cant just go on hear say and call the cops going uh yea officer I heard about a man in a shower with a young boy. They would ask if he actually saw it because as we all know just because you hear something doesnt mean its true. So you do the next best thing you tell your supreriors about it.

Look Im not saying he shouldnt have been let go. Im thinking a lot more heads will roll before this is all said and done.

What I am saying is he was done dirty by the same university that he basically built. If you called it Paterno State University no one would blink an eye. They should have let him retire or been like, "Look coach for everything you have done for us we are greatful, but this saturday will be you last game so when you type you letter of resignation make the date effective Nov 13th." That way you keep from the riots that occurred last night and everybody has time to let it sink in then he can go out a legend with his head held high. Unlike this way in which they dumped him by the side of the road in a garbage bag like an unwanted kitten.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

I read the report online - unbelievable! Sandusky deserves 100 times worse than whatever is coming to him!

I wonder what will happen to the admin at the Clinton County High School that let Sandusky meet the boy in a conference room unsupervised??

I know these kids come from troubled homes, but I wonder why the mothers would let their boys sleep over at Sandusky's house? This reminds me of the parents who let their kids sleep over with Michael Jackson? Kind of odd.

I wonder what will happen to the wrestling coach who saw Sandusky "wrestling" around with the boy on the ground and didn't report this?

The graduate assistant who was the eye-witness was 28 years old at the time. He was a legal adult and seen a crime take place. What will happen to him?

According to the report, the graduate assistant did not claim he saw intercourse when discussing this with the PSU admin, but that they were "horsing around" according to one PSU Admin and "disturbing" and "inappropriate" behavior by another admin. But the grand jury found portions of the administrators statements as not credible.

The mother of Victim 6 reported her sons shower incident to PSU Campus Police, but the Director of the Police Dept. ordered the case closed.

A janitor saw Sandusky in the shower with Victim 8 and was disturbed by it and talked it over with other janitors, but no one reported the incident.

After reading the grand jury's statement, I really do wonder how many average citizens would report to police if they seen something like this happen? Just in this one case, several people seen or had knowledge of this and did absolutely nothing.

Return to “College Sports”